The Springfield Three--missing since June 1992 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read on another board that a different serial killer has confessed to knowing that five women are buried in the Mark Twain national forest (I believe this is close to where I grew up in Southeast Missouri) and three of them are from Springfield. I don't think I am allowed to say where I read this or provide a link though.

I read on another board that a different serial killer has confessed to knowing that five women are buried in the Mark Twain national forest (I believe this is close to where I grew up in Southeast Missouri) and three of them are from Springfield. I don't think I am allowed to say where I read this or provide a link though.

That's entirely possible, if true. That's the key to solving the case insofar as finding the bodies. They could be most anywhere. There seems to be little doubt, given my understanding, as to who committed the crime itself; the act of abducting the women, although not known to the public, nor I, so long as no one come forth to confess or provide the information leading to an arrest the case will go unsolved. Finding the remains as this late date would be a miracle to be perfectly frank.

Finding the bodies in these heavily forested areas is a virtual impossibility unless a hunter comes across some scattered bones in the brush. It is so dense in some of these areas they have to pipe in sunlight. And there are numerous caves, caverns, old cisterns, and other places where bodies could be discarded and over time the remains scattered about. I would guess that this is why such an effort was put in at the beginning to try to find them and spotting the activities of buzzards which could lead them to bodies. Twenty years in and that has long gone by the boards.

If I knew where that board was I could possibly check with a source to see if that "confession" has actually been looked into. Most such confessions turn out to be bogus. But some turn out to be true.

As I understand it, there were around 18 people that showed up to Suzie and Sherrill's house on the night they were found to be missing.Do we know if any of these people were friends of Sherrill? They would know how Sherrill kept her house and maybe if anything was missing.

As I understand it, there were around 18 people that showed up to Suzie and Sherrill's house on the night they were found to be missing.Do we know if any of these people were friends of Sherrill? They would know how Sherrill kept her house and maybe if anything was missing.

Sherrill was on the phone with a friend at 11:15 PM the night previously. One can probably assume that this friend was also at the house the next day among these various people.

It's a good question though. The police would obviously wish to know if anything was missing or out of place. I can't recall that this has ever been addressed in the public media.

Georges Restaurant is such and interesting twist to this story... I think about that often and, like you, I wondered the same thing... I know that there have been LOTS of times that I've been out for the evening with friends and then we all ended up having a late night (or early morning :) ) meal at a 24 hr restaurant or someplace like that.

It makes sense to me that Sherrill might have gotten up when the girls got home... chatted with them for a few minutes and then they all decided to leave to grab a bite to eat at Georges.... How sad if a chance encounter at a restaurant was the beginning of the end for the three of them :(

I agree......It makes perfect sense. It is a very plausible scenario, unfortunately there are more suspects than you can shake ten sticks at when it comes to this case, that also fall into the "Very Plausible Scenario" category.......and that's what makes this case so frustrating!:waitasec:

At one time I thought the George's purported sighting. But there are two problems that seem to rule out this scenario.

The timeline doesn't fit. The women didn't arrive back at the Delmar address until about 2:50 AM. The waitress put them there between 1 and 3 AM. And no one else seems to be able to confirm the sighting.

The second thing which I have seen somewhere is that the clothing worn didn't seem to be recognizable as belonging to the women. I think it was said to be western style clothing. I could be mistaken but I'm sure this is my notes somewhere.

In any event, I just can't reconcile the time frame unless the waitress was way off with her recollection.

Having said this, I suppose it can't be ruled off the table since the prosecutor is on record as stating he wanted the three mysterious men found and questioned.

Sherrill was on the phone with a friend at 11:15 PM the night previously. One can probably assume that this friend was also at the house the next day among these various people.

It's a good question though. The police would obviously wish to know if anything was missing or out of place. I can't recall that this has ever been addressed in the public media.

I've thought about this as well. You would think that friends of Sherills would have came to the house the night the police came out and took their initial report. But, the other thing you have to take into consideration is that, it was reported to the police by Mrs. McCall initially. And the people who showed up at the house, at least the ones we know about were all part of the Kirby family, McCall family, and a couple friends of the McCalls, a class mate of theirs If I recall correctly, and I believe Mike Henson, Janelle Kirbys boyfriend at the time.
However I'm sure Sherill's friends, boss, or aquantances may have been contacted and been at the house the next day, before police determined a crime had occurred. It would make sense that at least Sherills boss would have wondered why she wasn't at work that Monday, which is about the time frame that they made the dissappearance/crime connection.

I remember hearing that there were missing pictures taken out of frames. That always struck me as odd, but I cannot find anything that either confirms or denies this. Anyone know or have a link?

I remember hearing that there were missing pictures taken out of frames. That always struck me as odd, but I cannot find anything that either confirms or denies this. Anyone know or have a link?

I had heard this too, but I always thought that maybe they just bought the frames or were changing the pictures out.

I had heard this too, but I always thought that maybe they just bought the frames or were changing the pictures out.

My guess is that the frames were purchased for graduations pictures.

The timeline doesn't fit. The women didn't arrive back at the Delmar address until about 2:50 AM. The waitress put them there between 1 and 3 AM. And no one else seems to be able to confirm the sighting.

In my opinion, this isn't that big of a concern in terms of dismissing the George's citing. I can tell you from personal experience that it is very easy to lose track of time working the overnight shift. If they had been there at 3:30 and the waitress had been at work since 8 or 9 pm, the best approximation she might have been able to make thinking back on it several days later could have been between 1-3.

Secondly, a lot of people at a diner at 3 AM on a weekend are not entirely sober. Yes, there are those who are getting off of a late shift or truck drivers, but as close as George's is to the downtown and campus areas, I would imagine that a significant number of patrons were in the process of sobering up from a night out. I can tell you for a fact that when I have been at a diner in the wee hours of a Saturday or Sunday morning, I wouldn't be able to recall what fellow patrons had looked like several days later.

That being said, I think that if the George's citing is accurate, it introduces more questions than it answers. For example, if it was a group of "suspicious" men who followed the women home after they left the diner, this would strongly suggest it was a random crime- one of convenience. If it was a crime of convenience rather than something planned and/or personal, why was there no robbery component? Why was nothing taken?

I've had several thoughts about the purses- and again this is from a personal perspective, but if I were one of the many people who entered the empty house, I wouldn't grab the purses and stack them all together on the stairs to Suzy's room. IF (and that's a big IF) I were to move the purses, then more than likely it would be to a table or someplace like that where I could search them all together... but again, I don't see this being something someone would do (I wouldn't be comfortable doing it)- at least not early on.

I agree that this is something that most people would not be comfortable doing early in the day, but keep in mind that Janelle not only listened to the answering machine but also erased messages. I think that if someone was comfortable doing that, moving or looking through a purse wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

I'm wondering, what ever became of Janelle's boyfriend? We've seen her interviewed on the subject several times over the years, but not him.

I'm wondering, what ever became of Janelle's boyfriend? We've seen her interviewed on the subject several times over the years, but not him.

I am almost positive that he and Janelle got married. In the contact lists of Kickapoo class of 1992, Janelle is listed as Janelle Kirby Henson.

I am almost positive that he and Janelle got married. In the contact lists of Kickapoo class of 1992, Janelle is listed as Janelle Kirby Henson.

According to Casenet, they got divorced in the last couple years. He was actually just arrested on a DUI/DWI around the first of the year if I recall correctly. Its on casenet if you want to look at it.

And I think he also pays child support to Janelle.
His mugshot was on the internet a while back for the DWI/DUI.
I wonder what the laws in Missouri are, as it pertains to spouses testifying against one another. I'll have to look that one up. Always found it strange that she ended up marrying him, when he was ordered to pay child support in early 1993, to a woman other than Janelle, that he was apparently messing around with while he and Janelle were together.....then she ends up marrying him.

Thanks Monkey Man as usual you are on the ball.
Hi Mule :seeya:

Springfield's three missing women case picked up nationally

Investigators on it from National Center for Missing and Exploited Children

April 30, 2012|by Sara Forhetz, KY3 News

SPRINGFIELD, Mo.-- This June will mark 20 years since the disappearance of three women from Springfield.

Now, for the first time, a team of national investigators is trying to unravel the mystery.

The disappearance of Stacy McCall, Suzy Streeter and Sherill Levitt has grabbed national attention several times since they were last seen on June 7, 1992.

It caught the eye of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, giving this local case to some of the brightest minds in the world of criminal investigations.

A worn out flier for the missing three still hangs in the window of a Springfield business some 20 years later. The wear and tear on it represents the time gone by.... (Snip)

http://articles.ky3.com/2012-04-30/sherill-levitt_31504148

Video:

http://www.ky3.com/ky3-springfields...picked-up-nationally-20120430,0,1795713.story

I saw this, and I was coming to see if it was posted. I was thrilled to see the case receiving some attention.

I'm not really sure if they are going to really "Investigate" the case. The way I understood it was that they were going to "Review" the case, and make recommendations to the SPD.....not do a full on "Reinvestigation" of the case, like in the form of them going out and "Pounding the Pavement" reinterviewing people, etc.

Am I missunderstanding what they've written in that article about what they are actually going to do????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie