CA CA - Pamela Pedro, 17, Atwater, 15 Sept 1982

When a parent wants to pick up their child before school ends for the day, they are required to call the school and make that arrangement ahead of time. Standard rules for many reasons - even back when this happened.

Thank you for that extra info jenstar, very interesting one of those is by a high school!
This opens up new strings of possibilities. I wonder if any were released around the time frame Pam vanished? Maybe one of them stalked the high school and picked out Pam? a school next to a place like that...is like a buffet for predators.
Another possibility i have also thought of is the speed freak killers. I havent ruled that one out in my mind. and i certainly will submit that for you! hopefully i will hear back, but often times i won't hear of what becomes of it, but at least we can get it looked at and submitted!

<Yea especially that 2.8 miles was a "driving" distance in a U shape. If you were walking-it was a straight line- all you had to do was cross a dirt parking lot, a 2 lane highway, down a street and boom..theres the high school.> And I agree we have to get somebody to re-interview the mother, or family those questions are really important. Like WHY were you picking her up so early AND dropping her off? Was she in trouble was there a fight.
DYK in the initial reports she was listed as a runaway? WHY? Frustrating when we cant ask the family the questions we want to. I just want to provide closure more than solve the whodunit.

Some key information is not available to us and, without it, there is little for any of us to go on.

Does anyone know:

1) Did she actually attend every one of her classes that day? In California, every class must take attendance so this information would have been available.

2) The DOE network states that her mother "returned to the school around 13.30 to pick up her daughter, who was nowhere to be found.". (13:30 means 1:30 PM, I assume). This is earlier than HS in California would normally end. Is it correct that Pamela had a definite arrangement with her mother that she would meet her at some point near the school at around 1:30 PM?

I wonder if someone interviewed any of the teachers to see if they'd SEEN her at all. We should find the detective that covered the case.

I got someone looking into my person of interest to see if I can pinpoint if the incarcerated inmate could be connected to this case. If so I would say we have a lead. If not then we're back to square 1. Anybody know if anything came back on our jane doe cases we submitted for comparison?

Jenstar,
There is a Todd W Berggren doing time in Wisconson for a 2005 "molesting a minor" (his 12 year old step daughter) conviction. I am not aware that he had any ties to the Merced area of California.

Atwater Federal prison didn't exist in 1982. It was build in the late 1990's on the site of Castle Air Force Base , that was closed in 1995. As the crow flies, it is a bout 2.5 miles from Atwater HS but the drive or walk would be a lot further; at least 5 miles through the town of Atwater. It is not "inappropriately close" to the High School or any other school.

The "speed freak killers" were based about 50 miles north of Atwater but they did get around. Their known female victims were girls they knew who went with them willingly. A studious Asian girl dosen't really sound like their "type" but all remains found need to be checked.

I found some additional information. Apparently, when her mother came to get her at 1:30 and Pam didn't show, her mother went to the school office and someone had Pam paged by intercom. Apparently they didn't make any effort to find what class she was supposed to be in. When she still didn't show, her mother called her father who came to the school as well. At 4:30 they called the Atwater Police (probably 911) and were told they had to wait 24 hours. The next day, when the missing Person report was taken, they were assured it was just a runnaway situation. Things were a lot different in those days.

Any one familiar with the history of missing people in the US knows that before about 1990, missing teenagers were generally treated as "Runaways" and nobody except their immeadiate family would be terribly concerned about what happened to them.

Jenstar,

Any one familiar with the history of missing people in the US knows that before about 1990, missing teenagers were generally treated as "Runaways" and nobody except their immeadiate family would be terribly concerned about what happened to them.

Yea Todd W Berggren, is ex military and ex police, and a they tried to bring him up on 7 felony charges of rape and molestation but only convicted of one. Since Rap66 stated that the "person of interest" was a military person that is why I'm focused on him. If he was stationed in the Area at the time the base was Open..then it would make sense. Also, someone with the last name Berggren had Pamela's Missing persons Flyer saved to his computer (as a backdrop) souvineir maybe?. All I did was follow the last name and it fell into place from there. The the prison is still scary if this HS is in operation. It's a shame that only their familes are the ones who were concerned. And that is why we are all here today, on this site.. Because WE care.

Are the known facts back to her mother was the last one to reportedly see her, and she was noticed missing, by her mother, before school let out on a Monday?

Who saw her over the weekend, besides her mother and father?

When a parent wants to pick up their child before school ends for the day, they are required to call the school and make that arrangement ahead of time. Standard rules for many reasons - even back when this happened.

Woodland, I have picked up my kids from the high school without prior notice several times and have also sent my oldest son to pick up my daughter. Not one person in the office ever asked for my id or my sons. My son (home from the Army ) could have been a random man picking up my daughter without anyone knowing anything. Needless to say I called the school and let them know what I thought! I live pretty close to Atwater. So it is possible.

I'm confused. How did the name of Todd W Berggren come up as a suspect anyway? Is he the guy doing time in Wisconsin? That Todd W Berggren has recent ties to South Milwaukee but it is entierly possible he has earlier ties to California; perhaps he was in the Air Force stationed at Atwater AFB.

I was confused about that as well kemo. So far I don't see the stranger danger here.

I'm confused. How did the name of Todd W Berggren come up as a suspect anyway? Is he the guy doing time in Wisconsin? That Todd W Berggren has recent ties to South Milwaukee but it is entierly possible he has earlier ties to California; perhaps he was in the Air Force stationed at Atwater AFB.

Berggren, (or someone with the last name)Down loaded Pam's "missing" Flyer to the hard drive of his/their computer. Actually I crossed refrenced the last name with offenders and he was a match. I didnt just pick out this guy for no particular reason out of thin air. He left me a clue. Wether its big enough that the Authorities will look into it is also questionable. Now, what I'm trying to do, is confirm if he was in Atwater at the time of the disappearance. I have someone checking into military personel files. Not that it even matters, I could be chasing my own shadow.

I don't think you are being put on the spot jenstar, maybe your train of thought wasn't clear in the beginning. It happens on line all the time - I have experienced the same 'what do you mean' questions.

Hi all

It's been a while and I want to give everyone a quick update.

This past Saturday my Aunt was in Atwater to be present for a Candlelight vigil for my cousin Pamela. I was unable to attend but my father, sister and other cousins were present. It's been almost 30yrs since she's disappeared.

http://www.mercedsunstar.com/2012/09/12/2531705/candlelight-vigil-for-missing.html

I also talked to my mother about this website and to ask if she had more information that I could share, and (hate to say it) I was asked to be extremely careful about any info, that may affect the investigation. That said I cant really share much with all of you and it's frustrating not only to me but to my family as well. I dont know if any of you are aware of the recent events here in California but there is a possibility that her disappearance may be involved with the speedfreak killers.

That's all I know and can share at this time. I wish there was more to tell

-R

Thank you for the update! I have been following her case!

Hi all

It's been a while and I want to give everyone a quick update.

This past Saturday my Aunt was in Atwater to be present for a Candlelight vigil for my cousin Pamela. I was unable to attend but my father, sister and other cousins were present. It's been almost 30yrs since she's disappeared.

http://www.mercedsunstar.com/2012/09/12/2531705/candlelight-vigil-for-missing.html

I also talked to my mother about this website and to ask if she had more information that I could share, and (hate to say it) I was asked to be extremely careful about any info, that may affect the investigation. That said I cant really share much with all of you and it's frustrating not only to me but to my family as well. I dont know if any of you are aware of the recent events here in California but there is a possibility that her disappearance may be involved with the speedfreak killers.

That's all I know and can share at this time. I wish there was more to tell

-R

Thank you for checking in and we appreciate that you are not disclosing any information that could hurt the investigation! Give my love to the family - this is one cold case that comes to mind often for some reason. :heart:

It has been 30 years since Pamela went missing...

Pamela Pedro
Missing 13 September 1982
From Atwater, CA

Vital Statistics

DOB: 2 September 1965
Sex: Female
Hair: Black
Eyes: Brown
Height: 5 ft 1 in
Weight: 110 lbs

Source
National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
Hotline: 1-800-843-5678

What is so troublesome about this case is that appears that Pamela disappeared from her school-somewhere normally thought of as safe and secure. I can't believe that no one saw anything out of the ordinary. I am wondering about the 1:30 pick up time. That seems like an odd time to leave school (others have brought that up too) I wonder why she was leaving school (presumably) early that day? Maybe she ditched school earlier in the day and met with foul play? Maybe a family friend pulled into the parking lot a few minutes before her mom got there and told her to jump in, and then she met with foul play? Did anyone else close to the family know why she was going to be picked up early? Has any and everyone who knew this family been interviewed? It just seems strange that she vanished from a school campus. Was she totally accounted for otherwise up until 1:30? Did friends have any insight into troubles at home that would make her want to run away? There are so many missing details here. I wish they could be filled in, and that her family gets some answers.

Is there a possibility she could have fallen victim to the speed freak killers??

I read somewhere that they were looking into that-don't think there is a definite answer.

WOW!! here is a brief update; to answer a few questions above.

Yes there is a possinbility of the speedfreak killers, the family (aunts & uncles) were asked to submit DNA so they can reference any possibilitry that Pamela may be a part of it. Everytime I see news updates, I cannot tell you how often I hold my breath. Still no answer from this scenario (so far)

The last person that saw her was my aunt, she dropped her off in the morning for school.

I also read in one post that the contact email had gone defunct. The most recent number I know of is the one at the end of this article:

Anyone with questions about the vigil can call the Merced County Sheriff's Department at (209) 385-7608. Anyone with information about Pedro's case should call the Major Crimes Unit at (209) 385-7472.

I really wish I could tell you more but that's all I have right now

Thank You everyone for your help!

-Rich

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member