GUILTY FL - Sean Eckerd, 19, found in shallow grave, Spring Hill, 19 June 2010

Nikolai

Reaction score
This is a big story in Tampa at least. Very odd thats for sure, I cant remember a crime like it. If its the father of the brother yelling to their sister "No, dont call the police," it sounds as if he may have wanted to initially hide the crime to protect his son, but it may have been the suspect. Very quick breakdown, the murder likely happened Friday night or early Saturday because the mother saw the suspect digging the grave at 3am Saturday morning. When she asked what he was doing he claimed he was burying an old girlfriends clothing. The victim is missing over the weekend and the family cannot find any trace of him. Monday afternoon an older sister who did not live with the family visited the home and with the victim still missing she convinces the fathert to dig up the hole her mother told her about. The father then uncovers the body and the sister calls police. The suspect says he was choking his brother when he had a fall to the ground which he thinks killed him. The brothers fought in the past and a friend says he saw the suspect choke the victim before. The suspect was involved in martial arts. Heres an article.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/public...d-for-body-buried-in-spring-hill-yard/1104062

SPRING HILL — "My brother killed my brother,'' a sobbing woman tells a 911 dispatcher. "And he's in the f---ing back yard, in the dirt.''

The seven-minute call to the Hernando County's Sheriff's Office on Monday from the sister of Sean and Stanley Eckard was the first indication authorities had of an unfolding family tragedy at 8456 Peoria St.

Deputies arrested 21-year-old Stanley Elias Eckard on Monday night on a charge of second-degree murder. He is accused of strangling his 19-year-old brother Sean and burying the body in a shallow grave in the family's back yard.

The woman on the phone, whose identity is protected by Florida public records law, said her father was still digging into the dirt.

"He is digging him out of the ground," she said in a cracking voice. "Oh my God. He's screaming. He's over the body."

The dispatcher frequently begged her to slow down. The woman spoke several times to people in the background.

"No, don't call the police!" a male voice shouted in the background.

"You can't scare me," the sister, who does not live at the Peoria Street house, replied. "They're already on the way."

She told the dispatcher to send deputies quickly because Stanley Eckard was still talking to her mother inside the house.

"My brother's here, and if he sees us digging up the body he's going to f---ing kill us all."

• • •

According to Hernando County Sheriff's Office records, Stanley Elias Eckard admitted Monday to strangling his brother Sean.

The arrest affidavit states he planned to move the body when his parents went out of town in a few weeks. Authorities have not released information about what motivated the killing.

Deputies booked Eckard into the Hernando County Jail at 10:30 p.m. Monday, where he is being held without bail.

Hernando County Sheriff Richard Nugent said the mother, Donna Eckard, saw Stanley digging a hole in the yard at 3 a.m. Saturday. When she asked him what he was doing, he said he was burying his ex-girlfriend's clothes because he was tired of seeing them, Nugent said.

But then Sean Eckard didn't come home.

"The last time anybody saw him was Friday night," the sister said in the 911 call. "I said, 'Mom, we need to dig up that hole. What's in that hole?' "

Samuel Eckard went out back, the Sheriff's Office said, and dug into the hole, where he first uncovered his son's arms and legs. The remains were not dismembered, said Sgt. Donna Black.

Deputies exhumed the body Tuesday. They waited a day so they would have enough daylight to dig up the body and collect evidence. The autopsy was scheduled for Wednesday morning.

Friends and relatives set up a small memorial outside the yellow crime scene tape Tuesday, including a dozen red roses and a neon-green poster that read: "Our Angel."

Another poster said: "Sean Eckard was our everything" and listed qualities he would be remembered by. It said Eckard was an animal lover who wanted to be a therapist and help patients in rehabilitation.

"He had many friends that adore him," the poster said. "He will be missed."

Assistant State Attorney Pete Magrino, the county's chief homicide prosecutor, said he planned to review the evidence to see whether the case merits a charge of first-degree murder. A charge of second-degree murder indicates the crime was neither premeditated nor occurred during the course of another felony.

A grand jury will determine charges within the next month.

Stanley Eckard could face the death penalty if charged with first-degree murder. A charge of second-degree murder carries a maximum sentence of life in prison.

In 2007, Stanley Eckard was arrested on a felony fraud-related charge, but prosecutors later dropped the charge.

Both brothers dropped out of F.W. Springstead High School, said family friend Christian Quinones.

School records show Stanley Eckard was enrolled from August 2005 to May 2006. Sean Eckard was enrolled from August 2005 to September 2007.

In February, Sean enrolled in the district's adult education program.

Samuel and Donna Eckard both work at Grace Presbyterian Church. Samuel is a custodian, and Donna works in the nursery.

Earlier in his life, a severe brain condition left Sean Eckard in a coma, said Quinones, 18. Eckard recovered late last year, Quinones said, though he'd lost weight.

Sean briefly worked a maintenance job with Quinones at Texas Roadhouse in Brooksville but had to stop because he often fell ill.

The Eckard's home number has been disconnected, and relatives declined to comment.

Staff writers Tony Marrero and Joel Anderson contributed to this report.

Laura J. Nelson can be reached at (352) 848-1432 or lnelson@sptimes.com.

What in the good Lord's name could have prompted that?

Hey, I know brother's fight, but murdered him and buried him? Which one of them had the brain injury or developmental injury?

What in the good Lord's name could have prompted that?

Hey, I know brother's fight, but murdered him and buried him? Which one of them had the brain injury or developmental injury?

The victim had the brain injury. I wonder what the suspect will be charged with, my guess is second degree murder because he will claim it happened "in the moment," with no pre-meditation. its a shame for the family, but I think he should get first-degree charges. I have a best friend who has vicious horrible fights with his older brother, but nothing close to murder ever happened. You have to really choke someone to kill them, choke them unconscious and then take it a step further and choke them past unconsciousness.

Nikolai,

I found a link to where they interviewed a friend of both brothers. The kid actually lived with this family when he was down and out he says. They must be decent people. I feel for this family. Unimagineable.

The friend said they fought but nothing serious. He'd seen the brother they call Eli choke his sibling before, but in a brother choking a brother fight kind of way. Nothing disturbing.

Then the kid points out that Eli could snap. He'd go off. Probably a rager. I wonder if that will have any impact on the charges if this is true?

http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=134755&catid=8

OMG! Can you imagine digging up your own son's body and realizing the horror of what happened? Geeesh!

Linda, I was just coming here to type the exact same thing. The sheer horror of that is unfathomable.

Who buries their ex-girlfriend's clothing in the back yard at 3:00am? Good grief. :crazy:

From Tampa News: "Stanley Elias Eckard has always said he didn't mean to kill his brother three summers ago before burying him in the family's yard.

A jury on Friday agreed that Eckard didn't plan the killing of 19-year-old Sean, but jurors did not completely absolve him of guilt. After deliberating for about 2½ hours, nine women and three men convicted Eckard of second-degree murder.

Eckard had been charged with first-degree premeditated murder, and he faced a mandatory sentence of life in prison if convicted on that charge.

One fact was not disputed during the trial: After Sean died, Stanley hoisted his body out of Sean's bedroom window and buried him in a shallow grave in the side yard of the family's Spring Hill home. Samuel Eckard found Sean's body two days later."

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts...d-with-murdering-his-brother/2114777#comments

From Tampa News: "Stanley Elias Eckard has always said he didn't mean to kill his brother three summers ago before burying him in the family's yard.

A jury on Friday agreed that Eckard didn't plan the killing of 19-year-old Sean, but jurors did not completely absolve him of guilt. After deliberating for about 2½ hours, nine women and three men convicted Eckard of second-degree murder.

Eckard had been charged with first-degree premeditated murder, and he faced a mandatory sentence of life in prison if convicted on that charge.

One fact was not disputed during the trial: After Sean died, Stanley hoisted his body out of Sean's bedroom window and buried him in a shallow grave in the side yard of the family's Spring Hill home. Samuel Eckard found Sean's body two days later."

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts...d-with-murdering-his-brother/2114777#comments

Prior to the trial, Eckard rejected an offer by prosecutors to plead guilty to second-degree murder in exchange for capping his prison sentence at 20 years.

His sentencing is tomorrow, it will be interesting to see what he gets considering the above.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahlm8627
Back