Monkees star Davy Jones dies aged 66

If you get the MeTV network in your area, they're doing a Davy Jones tribute today (Sunday) starting at 12:30 pm ET. I read that the first show they'll air will be the Brady Bunch episode, followed by his appearances on Love, American Style (now that's a blast from the past!) and then assorted Monkees episodes.

I'll be tuning in.

Thanks, Martha. Perfect timing I'm going to a little get together at my sister's house tomorrow, and a couple of our friends who we've known since we were kids will be there, too. It will be fun to tune in and reminisce with them.

Davy Jones Funeral: Monkees Singer Mourned During Private Service (spinner.com/AP)
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) - Monkees singer Davy Jones was remembered in a small private Florida funeral as a laid-back daydreamer who brought fans into a world blissfully free of worries.

The service was held behind locked doors Wednesday at Holy Cross Catholic Church in Indiantown, close to Jones' home.

The Rev. Frank O'Loughlin, who presided over the service, said several of Jones' own songs were played, including "I'll Love You Forever" and "Written in My Heart." In his own remarks to mourners, the priest compared the singer to the diminutive hero of "Lord of the Rings," saying the author J.R.R. Tolkien portrayed a world not unlike the one Jones offered fans.

"He wrote about a quiet, gentle, contented people," O'Loughlin said in his sermon, a copy of which he shared with The Associated Press. "A people for whom life was bright, neighbors friends, daydream believers with an absolute absence of burden who took themselves lightly - lighter than air. Wasn't that what David conveyed to the world, a blissful lightness of being?"
---
the rest at link above

My Top Five Monkees Songs:
5. Daydream Believer
4. I'm a Believer
3. Last Train to Clarksville
2. Pleasant Valley Sunday
1. (I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone

Davy Jones Funeral: Monkees Singer Mourned During Private Service (spinner.com/AP)

the rest at link above

My Top Five Monkees Songs:
5. Daydream Believer
4. I'm a Believer
3. Last Train to Clarksville
2. Pleasant Valley Sunday
1. (I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone

I am busy humming them one by one! It's funny how I poo-pooed their songs (realizing that they weren't written by them and that they were picked by their 'fabricators') a bit later in life and yet now, I must say I enjoy them and....I'm a believer! :rocker:

Its a sad testment to our society that none of the other band members attended Davy's funeral.

I read an article the other (sorry didn't bookmark it) that said the family and Mickey, Peter and Mike had all talked and the 3 decided NOT to attend the private funeral because if they showed up it would turn into a media circus (because the 3 of them would be all together after all these years). The family appreciated this and the 3 of them are going to the tribute events in New York and London.

But I still thought that was sad. That they couldn't even attend their friend's funeral because of the media. I also wondered if they maybe did go - in disguise - especially after announcing they wouldn't attend - nobody would be looking for them.

It was a comcast article so if you google you might find it.

:cry:

Just saw a concert on PBS with Davy Jones - I was all into it, tearing up, and then they showed the audience LOL - wth, those women are old - really didn't need that.

He just exuded sweetness.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthseeker158