VA - Grateful Dead Fan - Unidentified male, 26 June 1995 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helper - where did the info about stopping at Hagar's father's house come from?

Salem

I'll check around and see where I read that. I thought it was in the newspaper article written ten years after the fact, but I believe I reread it and it's not there.

"Richard" has been following this case closely for many years. On Jan. 5, 2006, he posted:
It is felt that he picked up the unknown hitchhiker on I-95 just
south of Fairfax and headed south. stopping briefly at the home
of his (the driver's) father, where the two young men were seen
by a neighbor. Because the father was not home, the son left
a note stating that he was heading further south to his mother's
house, which is in Inman, South Carolina.

I made a few posts on some North and South Carolina-based Facebook groups linking to his Doe Network page. Hopefully somebody will see it...

Does anyone know whether any of the NC or SC newspapers have done a story on this UID, like some kind of a feature? With him hitchhiking with someone headed towards SC, it could be that Jason was headed to family or friends in either state, Since I-95 connects to several major cross state interstates (Most notably I-40 in NC and I-20 and I-26 here in SC.) It may be a long shot, but some type of widespread media coverage (other than what the papers would have probably listed in the "Around the US" section in the back of the A or B section).

Does anyone know what became of "Jason's" remains? was he buried, cremated, still in a locker at the medical examiner's office?

Please forgive me if this has been posted before. When I Google "grateful dead" jason this photo from 1995 comes up:

http://www.dead.net/fanphotos/jason-and-dave-july-1995

Now, I know that GDF died on 26 June 1995 whereas the photo caption says July 1995, and I also know that the Jason in this photo is more likely to be the dark-haired man on the left (not that we know GDF's name to be Jason for sure). But my stomach dropped a mile when I saw the photo. The red-haired man sure does bear a resemblance to GDF. Has anyone looked into this?

I don't think it is our Jason. Our Jason did not have a beard. So even if the date was mixed up, that would mean that Jason had a beard when he died. Someone out there has to be missing our Jason and I sure wish we could find them. There has to be a way?

Salem

Salem said:
I don't think it is our Jason. Our Jason did not have a beard. So even if the date was mixed up, that would mean that Jason had a beard when he died.

Salem, you are almost certainly right, but...

My thoughts were along the lines of, suppose that photo weren't from July 1995, but from May or June sometime? A beard can be removed at whim on a morning, and there are plenty of young guys who do, especially when they've just been growing one for the hell of it for the last few months and got tired of it. I can easily imagine a scenario in which the photo was actually taken a week or two earlier and the redhead happened to finally get a chance to shave in the meantime. Stranger things have certainly happened, you know?

Anyway, it was just a thought that's been nagging at me. They certainly do look like one another.

If you right click on that picture and look at the properties it says the pic was taken in Chicago.

Thanks. Yeah, I saw that; that's one place the Dead were playing in early July, I believe at the end of that tour. There are no obvious markers of time and place in the picture (to me at least), which is why I suggested that it's not inconceivable that the label might not be correct.

Hello, Does anyone know why he is not in Namus? Do any of you experienced people know how to add him to that? Does anyone know if when the driver of the car was found, did he have his wallet? I'm thinking that someone may have come across the accident, saw they were both dead and took their wallets. I know my boyfriend's jeans have the "imprint" of his wallet in them, you can tell that he always carries his wallet there. It would be nice to know if Jason's pants had a similar "imprint". Of course, I am sure they will say they can't reveal that due to privacy issues. I wish they would release the morgue photos, as bad as they are. You can get such a sense of a person that just isn't there in a drawing, you know.......Maureen

Thanks. Yeah, I saw that; that's one place the Dead were playing in early July, I believe at the end of that tour. There are no obvious markers of time and place in the picture (to me at least), which is why I suggested that it's not inconceivable that the label might not be correct.

zinc - you are absolutely right that strange things happen. And it is perfectly conceivable that the date on the picture could be wrong. I have many, many pictures that are actually dated several months after they were taken. Just depended on when I got the film developed. That could be the case here.

If this picture is "nagging" you, then maybe it would be good to try to follow up on it and track it down. Do you want to give that a shot? Maybe you can email someone on the site?

Jason has been unidentified for 14 years. It appears he was never reported missing or that he has no family or something. So many of us have searched, submitted, and hit a wall. We have to start thinking outside the box. That's something I'm not so good at :crazy: I appear to have a pretty logical brain ;)

Let me know what you think about following up to see if we can figure out who the Jason in the picture is, okay?

Salem

Hello, Does anyone know why he is not in Namus? Do any of you experienced people know how to add him to that? Does anyone know if when the driver of the car was found, did he have his wallet? I'm thinking that someone may have come across the accident, saw they were both dead and took their wallets. I know my boyfriend's jeans have the "imprint" of his wallet in them, you can tell that he always carries his wallet there. It would be nice to know if Jason's pants had a similar "imprint". Of course, I am sure they will say they can't reveal that due to privacy issues. I wish they would release the morgue photos, as bad as they are. You can get such a sense of a person that just isn't there in a drawing, you know.......Maureen

Maureen - hello. I think this wallet idea is a great one, but I'm not sure we will be able to get an answer. We could try.

I do know the driver was identified and he had family in the area. But I'm not sure how he was identified....

I will try to follow up and see how far I get. It may take me awhile, though, so your patience is appreciated. Alternatively, if you would like to follow up, please do so. You don't have to wait for me :crazy:

Salem

I agree - the morgue pictures could be very helpful. Also, I will look into Namus - I thought Jason was listed there..... hmmmm.

Hi Salem, Maybe I just don't know what I am doing, but, when I go into Namus and go to Virginia, there are only 2 males listed from 1995 and neither one is from June. You know so much more than I do, I would appreciate anything you could do. I figure the driver could have been identified just from the license plate, you know? That's why I thought of the wallets being stolen. If Jason is as young as they say, he may not have had a driver's license yet, but no money? That doesn't make sense. I wonder if he could have been in a juvenile facility or foster care or whatever and got released when he turned 18? It's one thing to travel light, but 4 quarters is all you carry when you are buying tickets (2 tickets) and a t-shirt? That just cannot be. I wish LE was as interested in solving this as we all are......Maureen

Nevermind... I need to read further down in what I am reading before posting.

Hi Maureen - you are right about the money issue. It does not make sense that someone could buy a 2 tickets and a T-shirt with no money.

I am NOT convinced that our Doe's name is Jason or that he actually attended the Grateful Doe concert. If he did, where is his date? Why did he have 2 ticket stubs? And a note from 2 Carolines? Why didn't he have 3 ticket stubs? Which Caroline was his date? Where was his buddy if he went with a friend? Why didn't he just give his buddy the ticket, leaving him with only one stub? The two Carolines did not check out. My understanding is the phone number was a fake.

If Jason went to the concert, he went with someone. Otherwise why 2 ticket stubs? The someone was probably a date or a person much younger than himself, otherwise he would have just given the person their ticket and he would not have retained the ticket stub.

I'm not sure there was no wallet. Maybe a wallet with no id? Doesn't make a lot of sense though, does it?

This case perplexes me. Jason must have come from somewhere, but apparently it was place where people don't check up on you?

Salem

I really hop eI can help on this case in some way!! I am a fellow deadhead and I started thinking of different places to post his info so other fellow deadheads mights see.
Here is some of the places I plan to leave messages:

Jambase- place for jamband music and festival info. They have articles plus forums so left info on both

Relix- jamband magazine left message with contact person

Myspace: hoping to hit as many deadheads as possible with a message to see is anyone knows him
bands: Grateful dead
Widespread panic
String Cheese Incident
Umphrey's Mcgee
Phish
Moe
Railroad Earth so many to locate

same for Facebook but not a member

etree.org: Taping and free live concerts leave on message boards

festival sites: I'm sure they have forums or boards

leave messages on bands community web sites and see if they will post : see above bands

If you can think of somewhere i have forgotten, let me know please!!!

A lost deadhead needs a place to rest his bones!

Forever Grateful,
Kari

Murders get life for taking a life
Pedophiles/Rapist SHOULD get life for taking a soul!!!!

Soulsister - thank you! We can use all the help we can get here and we appreciate your efforts. Crossing my fingers someone will see all your many posts and recognize our guy!

Salem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members