ARUBA - Robyn Gardner, 35, Maryland woman missing in Aruba, 2 Aug 2011 - # 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most people don't really understand the concept of "evidence". Evidence is anything that a court allows into a trial and a fact-finder considers relevant. Erratic behavior, inconsistent stories, even a nervous disposition or bags under one's eyes...all could be evidence. Along with many, many more things.

An accidental death insurance policy, taken out by the suspect in the name of the victim with the suspect as the beneficiary, is very much "evidence". Along with many more things.

All this talk about needing a "body" is also overstated. A person could certainly be convicted without a body. There are plenty of cases where remains were eventually found, but they yielded no real information on the cause of death, never mind who the perp was. Yet there was still a conviction.

All this talk about how RG should have been more careful makes me a bit nauseous. People are entitled to live their lives as they wish. Even in the worst case scenario, she was not doing anything illegal. She may have lived a bit on the edge, but many people do. They should be able to make that choice without society dismissing crimes committed against them as somehow their own fault.

Sorry...I am new around here and I don't normally get preachy. Just feeling a bit disgusted this morning, having read about some of the new developments in this case.

I agree, BUT, on the flip side, to paint her as an American Beauty full of innocence and purity makes me nauseous too. I think the media (in particular, NG) has completely made her appear to be someone she is not. I don't know why this is the way our media operates, but I wish it wasn't so.

Obviously, no matter what she was into or whether her judgement may have been questionable, she did not deserve to go missing/be murdered.

It is very, very important for Aruban Police and authorities to make sure this case is solved, and every detail is handled correctly. Probably why they called the FBI in so quickly. They need to make sure this case is handled perfectly. And despite how it appeared with Holloway, the vast majority of Arubans are very good, decent, and nice people...including the police. A lot occurred with Joran and his father that many people don't know about, and made the Aruban Police look like idiots. Not to imply that I am a big shot on the island or anything, but talking with many people over the years in Aruba, you begin to hear things that make sense and add up. Although gossip in Aruba is similar to a high school locker room, nevertheless, people on the island know what went down with Joran and his father

Anyway, best guess, is that he drove RG from Baby Beach up past the Colorado Lighthouse along the coast, but not quite up to Natural Pool/bridge area, probably a mile or two south of there and disposed of her along the cliffs and coast.

It is very, very important for Aruban Police and authorities to make sure this case is solved, and every detail is handled correctly. Probably why they called the FBI in so quickly. They need to make sure this case is handled perfectly. And despite how it appeared with Holloway, the vast majority of Arubans are very good, decent, and nice people...including the police. A lot occurred with Joran and his father that many people don't know about, and made the Aruban Police look like idiots.

Anyway, best guess, is that he drove RG from Baby Beach up past the Colorado Lighthouse along the coast, but not quite up to Natural Pool/bridge area, probably a mile or two south of there and disposed of her along the cliffs and coast.

I have many Aruban friends and , yes, they are good and decent people
I think the police are doing everything by the book, their book is a bit different than ours
I won't comment on joran and Paul other than to say i met Paul and Anita and found them to be polite and warm people MOO

And I do agree that they probably did not go to the Natural Bridge area
I am not sure where they went
The time between her being seen and GG knocking on the shutters shortens the length of time he had to work with

It is very, very important for Aruban Police and authorities to make sure this case is solved, and every detail is handled correctly. Probably why they called the FBI in so quickly. They need to make sure this case is handled perfectly. And despite how it appeared with Holloway, the vast majority of Arubans are very good, decent, and nice people...including the police. A lot occurred with Joran and his father that many people don't know about, and made the Aruban Police look like idiots. Not to imply that I am a big shot on the island or anything, but talking with many people over the years in Aruba, you begin to hear things that make sense and add up. Although gossip in Aruba is similar to a high school locker room, nevertheless, people on the island know what went down with Joran and his fatherAnyway, best guess, is that he drove RG from Baby Beach up past the Colorado Lighthouse along the coast, but not quite up to Natural Pool/bridge area, probably a mile or two south of there and disposed of her along the cliffs and coast.

My bolding

This is probably not the right forum for this and may be getting too far off topic, but I am very interested in the bolded.
I want to be clear though, speaking about police in Aruba is not speaking about its people, just as speaking about police in the US isn't speaking about US citizens, I don't know why it is seen as being one and the same when it come to Aruba.
I have a good friend who is a regular traveler to Aruba who has said the same things you have said about Joran.

So.. The large insurance policy makes it all look premeditated

I have many Aruban friends and , yes, they are good and decent people
I think the police are doing everything by the book, their book is a bit different than ours
I won't comment on joran and Paul other than to say i met Paul and Anita and found them to be polite and warm people MOO

And I do agree that they probably did not go to the Natural Bridge area
I am not sure where they went
The time between her being seen and GG knocking on the shutters shortens the length of time he had to work with

I agree, the length of time, I think lends itself to somewhere on the coastal side of the island, not far enough north to the bridge (too many tourists and activity anyway), so I'm obviously just guessing, but somewhere not that far north of the colorado lighthouse

My bolding

This is probably not the right forum for this and may be getting too far off topic, but I am very interested in the bolded.
I want to be clear though, speaking about police in Aruba is not speaking about its people, just as speaking about police in the US isn't speaking about US citizens, I don't know why it is seen as being one and the same when it come to Aruba.
I have a good friend who is a regular traveler to Aruba who has said the same things you have said about Joran.

I agree, this is not the right forum and time to discuss Joran/Aruba etc...but I would be happy to discuss it at another time or on another forum topic page/forum

I am floored. Why do people think they can get away with this? Can he be more obvious?

I am so sorry Robyn, you did not deserve this sweetie.

I am late on this case does anyone know why Robyn went on this trip with this man if she had a boyfriend, why would she go on vacation with another man? How long did she know him from match.com?

He was NOT attractive so what made her go with him? I question this, because could this be a set up that she is a part of?

She knew about the policy, they took their chances with police not being able to accuse him of anything? Will he get the money if she is just missing?

Just curious as to what would prompt this woman to go on vacation with this old man who wears toupes that she met on match, meanwhile she has a boyfriend and they go to an island that is notorious for fudging a huge investigation of a missing woman, same resort too - same area.

TIA

Other interesting titbits from the same source:

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=14321496

Wow, thanks for the tidbits.

I said something a few days ago,like, do you think he bamboozled her? I had been thinking about that word, and the words bam and booze yesterday. It seems it might actually mean something more than being fooled.

Thanks everyone for the info. about the return date (ran through my mind, but let it go because I didn't think they were staying there that long) and about the insurance policy. How could he take an insurance policy out on her?

So it was not life insurance but travel insurance which you purchase in addition to your airfare and hotel stay it is easy to purchase. I don't think it pays out that much and I don't think she needs a medical exam or anything like that.

Maybe he thought he could drug her up and have her drown on her own, but it didn't work out - or maybe she is not missing but in it with him.

Why did she go on this trip, did any of her friends have some insight?

I am late on this case does anyone know why Robyn went on this trip with this man if she had a boyfriend, why would she go on vacation with another man? How long did she know him from match.com?

He was NOT attractive so what made her go with him? I question this, because could this be a set up that she is a part of?

She knew about the policy, they took their chances with police not being able to accuse him of anything? Will he get the money if she is just missing?

Just curious as to what would prompt this woman to go on vacation with this old man who wears toupes that she met on match, meanwhile she has a boyfriend and they go to an island that is notorious for fudging a huge investigation of a missing woman, same resort too - same area.

TIA

There is a lot of speculation as to what sort of relationship they had, professional or personal

They were staying at the Renaisance Hotel

I haven't read whether she was aware of the insurance/travel policy or not

There is a lot of speculation as to what sort of relationship they had, professional or personal

They were staying at the Renaisance Hotel

I haven't read whether she was aware of the insurance/travel policy or not

So none of her friends or close fmaily has come forward to say why she went on this trip?

I could see what HE would get out of it, since she is very pretty, but WHAT could SHE get out of it.

It seems super important to have this information in order to understand what has happened. MO

So it was not life insurance but travel insurance which you purchase in addition to your airfare and hotel stay it is easy to purchase. I don't think it pays out that much and I don't think she needs a medical exam or anything like that.

Maybe he thought he could drug her up and have her drown on her own, but it didn't work out - or maybe she is not missing but in it with him.

Why did she go on this trip, did any of her friends have some insight?

My bolding

I had the feeling that was probably the case, authorities are still investigating the policy, hadn't been confirmed that it was a life insurance policy with him as the beneficiary.

Is it bad reporting, bad sources or both?

So none of her friends or close fmaily has come forward to say why she went on this trip?

I could see what HE would get out of it, since she is very pretty, but WHAT could SHE get out of it.

It seems super important to have this information in order to understand what has happened. MO

Its hard to say what she was getting out of it
He may have promised her work in some kind of modeling position its been suggested
Or maybe he charmed her into thinking he was a great guy
It seems they had known each other for some time and saw each other regularly, but its not clear what that relationship was based on

Some of her friends have come forward. They say that she went just to get away, she had lost her job, she was not in a great place with her boyfriend and just needed a get away. they say her and Giordano were friends for about a year, that they had a rocky friendship. Whether that is true, no one really knows.

What could he get out of it? We have been questioning this from the beginning. I thought perhaps it was two-fold, now I think it was more than that, multifold.

Maybe his cash outcome for making her disappear was from multiple streams of revenue.
Some possibilities:

- someone would pay him for getting her off of his back
- the insurance would pay out
- he could get money for photos/video he took of her (*advertiser censored*)
- he might even be able to sell her to someone who took her from the island

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member