GA GA - Gloria Baird, 23, Atlanta, Dec 1969

Stephanie.Evins said:
Received an e-mail regarding a Florida detective who believes that Gloria fits the profile of a certain Jane Doe who was found in Florida in 1971. I don't feel comfortable giving up too much information about that yet until I actually talk to the detective and supply a DNA sample. Gloria had family in Florida and was reported to have possibly been seen on a Greyhound bus between Jacksonville and Georgia, although there's no guarantee that the girl was her. Anyway, it's a longshot and I'm very skeptical; but, it's something. I'm going to keep looking meanwhile and I'm going to work on making people more aware of the missing, even if it is her.

:silenced:
Has DNA been been entered into the national missing person database to help find her? If not others here might be able to point you in the right direction to get that done.

No, my DNA hasn't been logged in anywhere. I'd love to take care of that. I was planning on just having the detective tell me how to go about doing that; but, if anyone knows, I'd appreciate the info. I realize it seems odd that this hasn't been done before; but, I have only recently decided to go public with her story. I had posted a thing here and there on the Net in the past; but, I never expected to open it up as much as I have.

docwho3 said:
Has DNA been been entered into the national missing person database to help find her? If not others here might be able to point you in the right direction to get that done.

Stephanie.Evins said:
No, my DNA hasn't been logged in anywhere. I'd love to take care of that. I was planning on just having the detective tell me how to go about doing that; but, if anyone knows, I'd appreciate the info. I realize it seems odd that this hasn't been done before; but, I have only recently decided to go public with her story. I had posted a thing here and there on the Net in the past; but, I never expected to open it up as much as I have.
I don't know all the details but I found a few things on the web:

https://mavdisk.mnsu.edu/bittid/fbinationaldnadatabse.htm
http://www.fbi.gov/pressrel/pressrel05/regionalmtdnalabs110205.htm

Stephanie.Evins said:
Interesting. I just took a closer look at her military records. Her Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, reports that she had 7 weeks of "Clerical Typing and Proc." - "7 weeks - 1969/NOTHING FOLLOWS". "Time lost before normal expiration of term of service: 956 days." "Time lost after normal expiration of term of service 19 August 1972: 3,903 days".

I would like to know where she was prior to those 7 weeks of clerical typing, why did her time expire on 08/19/72 and why did her discharge occur on 05/02/83.
Gloria would have first gone through about 8 to 12 weeks of Army "boot camp" which is the basic military training that all new recruits go through. That is where they learn military history, courtesy, traditions, orders, marching, and such. Upon graduation from boot camp, soldiers are sent on for specific schools or training in the Military Occupation Specialty (MOS) that they will be assigned to. This would have been the Clerical Typing and Procedures Classes that she attended.

As to WHERE her boot camp was and where her Clerical school was, that would be in her record, both in the orders section, and probably in other places. The Army had several large boot camps in 1969, but probably only one for women recruits. I will look into it and see if I can find out where that was.

Soldiers enlist for a specific time frame. Back in 1969, I believe that it was a three year enlistment for Army, while other branches usually had four year enlistments. There was a war in Viet Nam, and the draft (for men) was at its peak about that time. The date of her enlistment would have determined when her EAOS (end of obligated service) was.

When a service member goes AWOL or UA, the time that they are missing does not count as "good time" toward that enlistment. So the letter that you refer to means that she "lost" 956 days of her enlistment time by being absent or missing. Because they decided to give her a discharge and take her off the books in 1983, they had to account for the time between her EAOS date and the date of discharge. Thus the extra "3,903 days" that she didn't serve.

It would seem that she was one day short of 10 weeks of active service when she disappeared.

In 1976, while Gerald Ford was still President, he initiated a pardon procedure for Vietnam War Draft Dodgers and Deserters to return to the United States and turn them selves in. Jimmy Carter, upon entering office, made the program much broader, pardoning all Draft Dodgers and Deserters. Still there was some sort of a time limit and it was probably after that limit expired that the Army/FBI decided to "clear the books" of all outstanding AWOL/Desertion cases. Thus the letter and the subsequent discharge.

The Army and the FBI have put you in the classic position of "Catch 22". They have assumed that Gloria intentionally deserted the army and intentionally refused to return when given the chance (their letter to your grandparents).

Now the burden of proof is on YOU to show that she is dead before they will even talk to you!? How convenient for them. When neither the Army nor the great and powerful FBI can find their own butts with both hands, they insist that Gloria's daughter do their work for them. Who's on First?

What can you do about this? Several things.

First, you could go to court and request that your mother be legally declared dead, based on the circumstances and her long absence. Also, get the court to recognize you as her closest living heir and relative. This would remove any legal barriers thrown up by the Army or the FBI regarding the Privacy Act (which is what they probably cited in their refusal to release her records to you).

Second, petition the Military Court of Appeals on her behalf to remove/reverse
her Dishonorable Discharge. She cannot be tried in abstentia, and a Dishonorable Discharge can only be awarded by a Military Court Martial.

If her discharge was not actually a Dishonorable Discharge, then it might have been one of the administrative types of discharge, like a General Discharge under Honorable Conditions, or an "Undesirable Discharge" (now called a discharge under conditions "Other than Honorable"). If this is the case, there is an administrative procedure to appeal the discharge, but you might still need to go through the Army Judge Advocate General system.

Third, as already mentioned, get your DNA into the missing person data base. As her daughter, your Mitocondrial DNA is identical to hers. Your specific DNA will also be a match with hers. This will provide a way of matching any potential Jane Does to Gloria.

Gloria Jean Baird, US Army
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
Missing Since: December 1969 from Georgia
Date Of Birth: November 26, 1946
Height: 5'3"
Weight: 107 lbs
Hair Color: Light Brown
Eye Color: Blue
Race: White
AKA: Gloria Jean Goodman

Details of Disappearance
While on approved leave from the United States Army, Gloria Jean vanished. She was allegedly last seen at a party in Atlanta, Georgia around Christmas 1969. Her abandoned Volkswagen Beetle was found on the side of a road in Georgia. She married an individual named Johnny Clyde Goodman in February 1969; the marriage lasted approximately a week. He and Gloria were both reported as AWOL from the Army in December 1969. Goodman had an extensive criminal history including bigamy - he was married to another woman when he married Gloria Jean. Goodman died on 02/11/00.

Source Information
Where Is Gloria
Gloria Jean Baird
North American Missing Persons Network NAMPN

Link:
http://www.doenetwork.us/nampn/cases/baird_gloria_j.html

Just found this, it probably has no significance, as he was a child at this time:

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
Immigration

Name: Martin M Siegel
Birth: 1 Jan 1945 - North Carolina
Departure: Bremerhaven, Germany
Arrival: 14 Aug 1948 - New York, New Yor

Name: Martin M Siegel
Birth: 1 Jan 1945
Residence: Tulsa, Tulsa, Oklahoma

It has an address which I will not post, but phone is unlisted.

Was Johny's name actually James Clyde Goodman Jr. ?? I found a listing of a man having been born in 1942, and having died in Indiana in 2000 by this name.

Was Gloria ever in the beauty pageant circuit?

Richard said:
Gloria Jean Baird, US Army
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
Missing Since: December 1969 from Georgia
Date Of Birth: November 26, 1946
Height: 5'3"
Weight: 107 lbs
Hair Color: Light Brown
Eye Color: Blue
Race: White
AKA: Gloria Jean Goodman

Details of Disappearance
While on approved leave from the United States Army, Gloria Jean vanished. She was allegedly last seen at a party in Atlanta, Georgia around Christmas 1969. Her abandoned Volkswagen Beetle was found on the side of a road in Georgia. She married an individual named Johnny Clyde Goodman in February 1969; the marriage lasted approximately a week. He and Gloria were both reported as AWOL from the Army in December 1969. Goodman had an extensive criminal history including bigamy - he was married to another woman when he married Gloria Jean. Goodman died on 02/11/00.

Source Information
Where Is Gloria
Gloria Jean Baird
North American Missing Persons Network NAMPN

Link:
http://www.doenetwork.us/nampn/cases/baird_gloria_j.html
''Thank you for never losing sight of the victims. This is a formidable task. I was a kid when this happened but I am reeling that I didn't know and didn't know where to read.Everyone who is lost is in my prayers tonight. There are times when you just look at all the horror and see you missed another. This person is just as importent as the last.

There are souls who need justice and there are so many that need prayers. Just to wake up in the morning and deal is task but to learn that someone is missing and no one knows where they are.How terrible is that?

Richard said:
Now the burden of proof is on YOU to show that she is dead before they will even talk to you!? How convenient for them. When neither the Army nor the great and powerful FBI can find their own butts with both hands, they insist that Gloria's daughter do their work for them. Who's on First?
In all fairness, it seems to me that the FBI and the Army followed standard procedure during their investigation of GJB's disappearance. They were working an AWOL case, not a possible abduction or murder case, since the events surrounding Gloria's vanishing did not fall under federal or JAG jusrisdiction, as it was a local/state police matter. I don't see how one can blame the FBI for not wanting to bend the rules when it's the failure of a local PD to solve or close a case that lead to the present situation.

It seems the only options left if one is to gain access to federal files are to either ID a body as that of Gloria (unlikely) or have her declared officially deceased.

I want to know about this case and for what ever reason can not open up my web to the doe network....going directly to this i see No ref.to this person.....is there a link on this WS site...for just what this person looked like........I googled her name found a photo...is there one of the RE:husband?????

the date is interesting to me.....am searching around this site....you posted for the Sharon Marshall Case..........http://sharonmarshall.homestead.com/index.html

this is a web page for her......

KarlK said:
In all fairness, it seems to me that the FBI and the Army followed standard procedure during their investigation of GJB's disappearance. They were working an AWOL case, not a possible abduction or murder case, since the events surrounding Gloria's vanishing did not fall under federal or JAG jusrisdiction, as it was a local/state police matter. I don't see how one can blame the FBI for not wanting to bend the rules when it's the failure of a local PD to solve or close a case that lead to the present situation.

It seems the only options left if one is to gain access to federal files are to either ID a body as that of Gloria (unlikely) or have her declared officially deceased.
You hit the nail on the head, but it is a sort of Catch 22 story. Her disappearance (AWOL/Desertion) actually DOES fall under Army Criminal Investigation Division (CID) and FBI jurisdiction. And as you point out, that is about all the two agencies care about it. They view it in terms of it being a case of AWOL initially and do little about it but document her absence. Then after 60 days with no reappearance, it becomes a case of Desertion.

But again, it is mainly a documentation game and things are done administratively. There is really little effort made to ever locate Deserters. But the really sad part is that the Military and the FBI generally do Very Little to involve the local police with what is, in fact, a Missing Person Case.

Incidentally, JAG is a Navy acronym for their Judge Advocate General Corps. JAG does not investigate missing persons (Desertion) cases for the Navy, the Naval Investigative Service (NIS) does.

I believe that there may be some procedures for Gloria's daughter to follow which will allow her to pursue her mother's disappearance. Locating her Service Record would be a start. Involving her Congressman or Senator would also be a route to go.

Declaring a person officially deceased is something which could be pursued, but it would not change Gloria's status with CID or the FBI in any way.

The thing I don't understand about this case, is the inferrence is made that she went with Goodman, it says they were both AWOL. Why is there no information as to what happened with him, was he reprimanded ? Was he found shortly afterwards or never ? Was he questioned about her disappearance ? It would be interesting also to know where exactly her car was found and if there was any evidence or clues therein.

It's been awhile since I've been on and thought I'd bump it. I also wanted to let Gloria's daughter know that I still have the yearbook pictures (still haven't gotten to a scanner yet...). I'm still asking around but haven't gotten a lot of response, but I'll keep at it. By the way... my e-mail is the same... lol... I'm just working a lot more... but you are still welcome to e-mail :)

I have to step away from this every now and then to keep my sanity. I am so shocked and amazed that this group is still talking and asking questions about Gloria Jean. I can't thank you enough. I am contacting the FBI in order to add my DNA sample to the Nationwide database. :) If anyone ever wants to reach me personally, they can do so by e-mail at stephanie@whereisgloriajean.com. I check that daily.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back