GUILTY NC - Kathy Taft, 62, Raleigh, 6 March 2010 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been trying to keep track of jury selection, wondering when they are going to get started. Hi borndem! < waving > :) Just been so busy with the yard, gardens, etc. But I think of you all often, know I need another trial to follow. Has it been announced yet, when opening statements will begin??

Hi, glee - great to hear that you're keeping an eye on this one. Hope to see you on a more regular basis when things get started.
icon7.gif

And I don't think anybody on this earth knows when O/S will begin!! They still have to seat alternates, and it seems that they want 4, which is wise, IMO.

Maybe we'll a couple of alternates seated today!

Stay tuned!

It makes me sad (and a little angry) that some folks are still creeping around here, looking for answers they aren't going to find. Since dealing with detectives, cops and media for the past two years, we've had hundreds of lookiloos, slowing down as they drive by, taking pictures, not being at all shy about stopping and asking questions. I've had several people knock on my door to ask me what I knew about JW. We had a bunch of lawyers show up here just a few weeks ago along with a couple of news crews shortly afterward. I live here and work here, where JW lived. Literally, he lived in Apt. D, I live in Apt. B. I don't mean to be a jerk but I can't tell you how horrible and invasive this experience has been for the past two years, for all of us who actually live here and would like to, again, live peacefully here. I've had reporters taking photos of me through my kitchen window! It's beyond ridiculous.

Well, no1, I guess it's already started again for you & your neighbors. I cannot believe that people have actually come into your yard & gone up to your door to ask you questions. I guess they've done the same things to your other immediate neighbors, too.

You and Prancy have already told us how awful things were during the "hot period" of the crime and investigation. At least now Prancy can sleep again, and detectives are done with needing info from you, let's hope. I guess the gawkers are back on your and Prancy's once-quiet little streets. I had already decided to give up my short cut to North Raleigh during the trial -- I did not want to add to the traffic I knew would heat up again.

I do apologize for being one of them the other day, no1uknow -- I certainly would not have done what I did on Cartier if the house had not been up for sale with a sign in front. I don't trespass, and I don't plan to ever do that. I knew the house was empty. When the house next to us was up for sale, there were folks over there checking it out without a realtor present. They didn't come over here & ask any questions, thank goodness!

Also by doing what I did, I also drove down Wayland on my way to Canterbury via Fairview. Something I have done many, many times.

And please don't feel anything remotely like being a jerk -- you were just letting folks know what is it like to be "one of the insiders." Not quite as great as it sounds, just like you said earlier.

I certainly hope things improve a bit for all you folks in your area -- at least to the point of not getting worse -- for the next few weeks. It does have an end date -- we just haven't gotten there yet.

We all need to have positive thoughts for Kathy and her prosecution team to have success the honorable way.

Hi all. I'm losing what little interest I had in this case. I've been following the missing female soldier case out of Fayetteville lately.

I realize why this case has not been of great interest to me--it's not much of a who done it and there's not a lot of mystery about how he did it. And his motive doesn't interest me either. Yes, there are elements that are mysterious, but nothing has really grabbed me. I can't explain why any better than that.

This case is more a matter of if he'll get LWOP or the DP. I am, of course, assuming the state has the necessary evidence to get a conviction, despite him pleading not guilty.

Thanks for the update. Do we know yet if WRAL is going to cover the trial live, online? :please:

Glee, from what we have seen/heard, WRAL is planning to stream it when the testimony, etc., begins.

Maybe we'll get a progress report in the 6:00 news of one of the local stations.... or not... :what:

Hi all. I'm losing what little interest I had in this case. I've been following the missing female soldier case out of Fayetteville lately.

I realize why this case has not been of great interest to me--it's not much of a who done it and there's not a lot of mystery about how he did it. And his motive doesn't interest me either. Yes, there are elements that are mysterious, but nothing has really grabbed me. I can't explain why any better than that.

This case is more a matter of if he'll get LWOP or the DP. I am, of course, assuming the state has the necessary evidence to get a conviction, despite him pleading not guilty.

I've been looking at the Bordeaux case just a bit, too, Mad -- kind of on the sidelines, mainly because I grew up near there & had a 1st cousin who did live in Fayetteville, so I spent some summer time there -- it just doesn't sound good at all, now. Unless she just up & ran off -- of her own free will -- with someone, which, IMO is doubtful -- this just doesn't sound like it will have a good ending for her or her family. Did someone put something in her drink (GHB, rohypnol or a partial one if that is possible) and take her "home"? Did she go outside with someone & refuse advances and someone hit her and she fell & hit her head & stopped breathing & then the other person panicked??

The Fayetteville/Cumberland County LEO's have seen plenty of crime, and they are quite competent. Yes, this is, so far, a where-is-she possibly leading to a who-dun-it.

Get on 'em, Mad!

End of O/T.

It's very common here at WS that local people become our eyes and ears for the many cases. They go to crime scenes or wherever the action is and then report back what they see and hear. I, for one, value that tremendously; what they say only adds depth and knowledge when trying to solve a case.

no1, I truly appreciate your point of view. I'm sorry folks have been so invasive. I would be angry, too, I'm sure. But, so far I haven't heard of anyone from WS being that pushy.

Early in the case I spent some time on Cartier. I took pictures of the house, pathways, etc. They're posted somewhere in the earlier threads. Several people here were very grateful for the visuals.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your perspective. In the future, and unfortunately I think there will be a future (it's Wake Co. after all), I'll be much more sensitive to the surrounding neighbors.

imo

Well, no1, I guess it's already started again for you & your neighbors. I cannot believe that people have actually come into your yard & gone up to your door to ask you questions. I guess they've done the same things to your other immediate neighbors, too.

You and Prancy have already told us how awful things were during the "hot period" of the crime and investigation. At least now Prancy can sleep again, and detectives are done with needing info from you, let's hope. I guess the gawkers are back on your and Prancy's once-quiet little streets. I had already decided to give up my short cut to North Raleigh during the trial -- I did not want to add to the traffic I knew would heat up again.

I do apologize for being one of them the other day, no1uknow -- I certainly would not have done what I did on Cartier if the house had not been up for sale with a sign in front. I don't trespass, and I don't plan to ever do that. I knew the house was empty. When the house next to us was up for sale, there were folks over there checking it out without a realtor present. They didn't come over here & ask any questions, thank goodness!

Also by doing what I did, I also drove down Wayland on my way to Canterbury via Fairview. Something I have done many, many times.

And please don't feel anything remotely like being a jerk -- you were just letting folks know what is it like to be "one of the insiders." Not quite as great as it sounds, just like you said earlier.

I certainly hope things improve a bit for all you folks in your area -- at least to the point of not getting worse -- for the next few weeks. It does have an end date -- we just haven't gotten there yet.

We all need to have positive thoughts for Kathy and her prosecution team to have success the honorable way.

I'm sorry, borndem. I'm just very, very ready for this whole thing to be done and in the past. It hasn't been nearly as bad around here as it was two years ago, although I did have a lady come over about a week ago, asking questions. I know nothing, of course, and while I'm interested in seeing how the trial plays out, the fact that testimony is about to begin brings all of this on the forefront again for so many of us who live around here, along with a good amount of anxiety. Sorry if you felt like I was attacking you. I truly didn't mean to. I'm just looking forward to the day when this awful thing won't be something we think about every day.

I'm sorry, borndem. I'm just very, very ready for this whole thing to be done and in the past. It hasn't been nearly as bad around here as it was two years ago, although I did have a lady come over about a week ago, asking questions. I know nothing, of course, and while I'm interested in seeing how the trial plays out, the fact that testimony is about to begin brings all of this on the forefront again for so many of us who live around here, along with a good amount of anxiety. Sorry if you felt like I was attacking you. I truly didn't mean to. I'm just looking forward to the day when this awful thing won't be something we think about every day.

Hi, no1uknow - Thanks for your kind words -- I didn't feel your words earlier were an attack -- but it did remind me that you and your neighborhood are back in the headlights again... And that some people can be such uncaring idiots -- to come onto your property and knock on your door... what gall and what selfishness...

And I'll say this again to you, no1, to Prancy, and others who are in that immediate area, that we've seen many, many victims in this crime -- certainly from the one he stole the most from, poor Kathy who had so much more to say and do, both for herself, but also her family, friends, for JG, and for us, the citizens of NC; for her children who all seem very bright, loving, absolutely stricken, and very close to each other, which says so much about Kathy herself; and Kathy's many friends and professional friends of hers.

And then there is JW's family, especially poor JF, who can't even get out from under it by moving & possibly divorcing him -- and now she's getting dragged back into the thick of it just because she was living with him at the time -- man-oh-man, talk about "wrong place wrong time" in spades, and she will have to have that wound opened again and re-heal; his parents who probably are still shaking their heads and just wondering where it all went wrong, and so on.

Take heart, if you can, no1 -- it will be over in a few weeks -- another horrible crime (or two) will move into its place, and your streets will be yours again!

And be proud of yourself in that you didn't let them "win" by leaving your place -- as you well know, there's no better location than where you are (we lived on Banbury Road and then Grant for nearly 20 years, and I still miss it! And we're not far from there even now.)

Positive thoughts, positive thoughts, as Abby of NCIS says, no1uknow (sorry if the latter part means nothing, but the "Positive" part says it all.)

:peace: and :justice: for all of us!

Hi, no1uknow - Thanks for your kind words -- I didn't feel your words earlier were an attack -- but it did remind me that you and your neighborhood are back in the headlights again... And that some people can be such uncaring idiots -- to come onto your property and knock on your door... what gall and what selfishness...

And I'll say this again to you, no1, to Prancy, and others who are in that immediate area, that we've seen many, many victims in this crime -- certainly from the one he stole the most from, poor Kathy who had so much more to say and do, both for herself, but also her family, friends, for JG, and for us, the citizens of NC; for her children who all seem very bright, loving, absolutely stricken, and very close to each other, which says so much about Kathy herself; and Kathy's many friends and professional friends of hers.

And then there is JW's family, especially poor JF, who can't even get out from under it by moving & possibly divorcing him -- and now she's getting dragged back into the thick of it just because she was living with him at the time -- man-oh-man, talk about "wrong place wrong time" in spades, and she will have to have that wound opened again and re-heal; his parents who probably are still shaking their heads and just wondering where it all went wrong, and so on.

Take heart, if you can, no1 -- it will be over in a few weeks -- another horrible crime (or two) will move into its place, and your streets will be yours again!

And be proud of yourself in that you didn't let them "win" by leaving your place -- as you well know, there's no better location than where you are (we lived on Banbury Road and then Grant for nearly 20 years, and I still miss it! And we're not far from there even now.)

Positive thoughts, positive thoughts, as Abby of NCIS says, no1uknow (sorry if the latter part means nothing, but the "Positive" part says it all.)

:peace: and :justice: for all of us!

Thanks, borndem. I truly appreciate that!

Here one that is quite a bit more newsworthy:

Williford's ex-girlfriend could be reluctant witness
A witness in the Jason Williford murder trial is begging to be kept off the witness stand.

May 8, 2012 1:01:31 PM PDT | abc11.com
TAGS:
homicide, kathy taft, wake county

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=8653434
Wow! A very chilling reminder of how many people have been devastated by this crime and how many more lives will never be the same. I can see why she wouldn't want to testify, for sure. I can see why JF doesn't want to testify, too. But I think it's important that both of them do, terrible as it will be. Like I said before, I'll be glad when it's all over with.

Just what kind of _______ was/is this man?

I had read about the ex-girlfriend's "go round" with him much earlier here on WS when she spoke about him, but for this, even now, to upset her this much, he must have been some kind of awful something-or-other.

I hope she can think about her testimony as a shot across the bow of his evilness and somehow have it empower her to rise up and overcome it, slap it down, and stomp it. (I hope that makes sense.)
And I hope she has a good friend who can boost her ego & self esteem & pride so that she will see this as a positive thing for her & for all women who are treated so badly by men who use the word "love" for evil & and hurt. This is such a sad thing to hear.

And it makes me wonder if JF may be feeling a bit the same way -- maybe she's made of more steel and will walk in that courtroom & calmly just tell it. I'll be thinking strong thoughts for both of them.

Ohh, I just don't understand this whatever-it-is that he & his ilk possess. Grrrrrr.
:maddening:
icon8.gif

Here is WRAL's article on the ex-girlfriend (at least I think this is the same person).

Posted: April 21, 2010
Updated: April 22, 2010
Taft murder suspect described as 'emotionally unstable'

Raleigh, N.C. — The man charged with rape and murder in the death of State Board of Education member Kathy Taft had a protective order filed against him several years ago alleging that he was "emotionally unstable" and that his "violence is unpredictable."

(excerpt above) -- here's the link for the article itself:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/wral_investigates/story/7461290/

It's very common here at WS that local people become our eyes and ears for the many cases. They go to crime scenes or wherever the action is and then report back what they see and hear. I, for one, value that tremendously; what they say only adds depth and knowledge when trying to solve a case.

no1, I truly appreciate your point of view. I'm sorry folks have been so invasive. I would be angry, too, I'm sure. But, so far I haven't heard of anyone from WS being that pushy.

Early in the case I spent some time on Cartier. I took pictures of the house, pathways, etc. They're posted somewhere in the earlier threads. Several people here were very grateful for the visuals.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your perspective. In the future, and unfortunately I think there will be a future (it's Wake Co. after all), I'll be much more sensitive to the surrounding neighbors.

imo

I always appreciate local postings. Way back when the Groene family was murdered I had a friend who lived in Spokane. He went to Idaho and filmed the site of the crime, the cabin, and the location of the road from which Joseph Duncan was able to observe the children, etc. Put everything in much better perspective to understand just how random that crime was. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer