Australia - Rachel Barber, 15, found in shallow grave, Prahran, Vic, 1 March 1999

marlywings

Former Member
Reaction score
A deadly fantasy

30 November 2000

WHEN Caroline Reed Robertson was 14 she drew a picture of herself. Around the sketch were the words she used to describe herself: ugly, fat, stupid, obese, worthless, weird, unwanted, loser, deformed, boring, pathetic, selfish, jealous...

A prolific note maker, Robertson wrote down her plan to lure Rachel with an offer of money to take part in a bogus pyschology study, then drug her, disfigure her and dump her body. For two days Robertson kept Rachel's body in a cupboard in her Prahran flat before she hired a van and buried her in a shallow grave in bush on her father's property near Kilmore.

http://www.fact.on.ca/news/news0011/th001130.htm

I know someone who was briefly in Dame Phyllis with Caroline last year and her behaviour towards the girl I know was scary... She was becoming quite 'interested' in her and was pinching her on the bottom etc. she was getting really concerned but thankfully was transferred elsewhere.
Actually not sure if I'm allowed to post that...

Thanks Marly for starting this thread.

The first time this case hit my radar was yesterday when i watched the film "I Am You", based on Rachels story. Being 16 at the time of Rachels disappearance and murder, I can't imagine I would have paid much attention to the news when it happened.

The film completely revolted me. It was so real! So moving. What Rachel must have gone through...the terror, the disbelief. ....

Marly, may I post the link to the sentencing remarks? And I've found some recent MSM on the parole application (which was denied) in August 2013.

What a coincidence I tried to start this thread just two days ago!

This case is truly horrific but it is also an extremely interesting one from a criminology POV.
Statistically speaking this case breaks all boundaries. Rachel should not have been a victim, and RR should not have been a murderer.

In all likelihood she would have got away with it, had she been just a little bit smarter. This is the original "Stealing Beauty" case to me. RR was just so jealous it sent her quite mad.

This occurred before the Facebook days too. I can only imagine the seething jealousies that the "look at me" culture is inspiring as we speak. Add in a GFC or two and folks really get desperate to cling to/improve their lifestyles and feel better than the next person.

I predict more and more young women will become so inflamed they will make Arias look like she was a little bit annoyed. There's nothing like a woman scorned etc. Young women nowdays have cars, incomes, they have property and means, and most of all, an image to maintain.

A whole new demographic is on its way - young women who murder. :eek:

RR was a statistical freak. Young women rarely kill and when they do its a child parent or spouse. Murdering your girl crush so you can become more like her? Just insane and previously almost unheard of.

Thanks Marly for starting this thread.

The first time this case hit my radar was yesterday when i watched the film "I Am You", based on Rachels story. Being 16 at the time of Rachels disappearance and murder, I can't imagine I would have paid much attention to the news when it happened.

The film completely revolted me. It was so real! So moving. What Rachel must have gone through...the terror, the disbelief. ....

Marly, may I post the link to the sentencing remarks? And I've found some recent MSM on the parole application (which was denied) in August 2013.

You're welcome!. Sure you can post the sentencing remarks as long as you include the link in your post.

You know, reading the following made me feel really sad;

"Robertson wrote pages of tortured letters to her father, David Reid. "I get teased badly at school. I get really really embarrassed. I told mum, but she hasn't helped. I really really really need HELP.""

http://www.fact.on.ca/news/news0011/th001130.htm

She is begging for help here. Why did no adult act on this??!:facepalm:

Every single client I've ever had exhibited warning signs and cries for help beforehand (sometimes explicitly, like in this case) and somehow it is always missed or ignored.....and then something terrible happens and it all makes horrible sense. I so wish these issues could be addressed when they begin in childhood, rather than being ignored, ignored, ignored and then it's just all too late.

It makes me mad as it's really obvious a lot of the time that early intervention would have a beneficial impact. Adults continually let children and adolescents down by not listening to them and not taking what they say seriously enough. JMO :twocents:

I just finished watching this film "I am You" known as "In Her Skin" on Netflix right now in the U.S. Heartbreaking. Caroline Reed Robertson will be released January 20, 2015

Herald Sun article.

Victorian woman who killed girl with phone cord walks free

A Victorian woman who strangled a teenage girl with a phone cord and kept her body in a wardrobe in a horrific and bizarre attempt to assume her identity has been released on parole.

Caroline Reed Robertson, who murdered and buried 15-year-old dancer Rachel Barber in a shallow grave in March 1999, has served 14 years of her 20-year sentence.

She walked from prison today wearing a black baseball cap, picked up by two friends.

Robertson was 19 at the time when she drugged and killed Rachel, who she had previously babysat and obsessed over for being "perfect and pure".

http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...girl-to-be-released-today#3RzAIl3sboLt16YY.99

2001_parole_sp.ashx

Caroline Reed Robertson......................................... Rachel Barber

Hi everyone I'm just enquring where coroline Robinson is now living is she in newzealand has she relocated to new Zealand I have recently had a person who I suspect is this women come into my life and I googled her name it came up with all of this.

Hi everyone I'm just enquring where coroline Robinson is now living is she in newzealand has she relocated to new Zealand I have recently had a person who I suspect is this women come into my life and I googled her name it came up with all of this.

update??

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back