Similarities to other Cases. Melinda Duckett, Diane Downs and more

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
yup, but only 'cause they are both cold hearted monsters, who didn't give a about their children! :mad:

One of the biggest that I see is that they both had a thing for cops

One of the biggest that I see is that they both had a thing for cops

You are right about that!
And Military guys too...

And the internet... myspace!

With a toddler in the house and so much time spent on the computer.....

:mad:

The only difference is that Casey is too much in love with Casey to kill herself.

And thier both from central Florida. Must be something in the water there. :crazy:

I was watching "Most Evil" on my DVR, and (how appropriate!) the topic was about people that scheme and lie.

It opened with the story of Diane Downs.. on May 19, 1983, she shot all three of her children and created superficial wounds on herself to pin it on an imaginary hitchhiker.

At the hospital when one of the kids died, she showed little to no emotion. When she found out the other two would live, she was stunned. From the article: "When told that Danny had a chance of surviving, she replied in an almost-perplexed manner, "Do you mean the bullet missed his heart? Gee whiz!""

There are some parts of the case that aren't remotely like this one (people actually believed Diane Downs at the start, even though law enforcement was suspicious -- the media made Diane look like a hero). However, the motive is what scares me the most. Because of a man that Diane wanted to be with had shunned her and she blamed having three kids for it, that's what drove her to commit such a heinous crime. She thought she could garner sympathy if all three died and he would have no choice but to be with her.

The article is a fascinating read:

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/notorious_murders/famous/downs/1b.html

Anyway, not saying these cases are exactly alike (no two are), but as an observation as I was reading it I could see how some things applied to this case.

I see the similarity with the Diane Downs case. Susan Smith was another woman who disposed of her children when they were not fitting into her view of what life would be like if she was not a mother. I cannot imagine sending a car into a lake with two living breathing toddlers strapped into car seats. These people are monsters.

i've been saying since the beginning that casey reminds me of diane downs. they way they both seem to put MEN above their own kids, the way SEX seems most important, their lack of emotion over what happens to their children.

I have always been facinated by stories about women killing their kids. My husband thought I was strange but it was just because, for me, the worse thing that could ever happen to me would be if something happened to one of my kids and I just can't imagine who a woman could harm their own child. I followed the DD story closely (I live in Oregon) and just could not believe she did it. I really did want there to be a "bushy haired stranger" that was guilty. It was only after reading Ann Rule's book did I understand her thinking. Like KC, she was a pathological liar and it appeared that she was a good mother, at least on the surface. Her story was more believeable at first then KC's is. I think I'm going to read Small Sacrifices again. Maybe it will give me hope that KC won't get away with this.

When I read this paragraph, I could hear Casey's phone call home from jail, "Just give me Tony's number, I need Tony's number!"

One particular item, however, interested Dick Tracy: a photo of a young man in a beard that shared space atop the television with other pictures of Diane. Tracy was cognizant of the fact that Diane had made a phone call to a man in Arizona, a former boyfriend supposedly, not long after arriving at the hospital. Before she knew the state of her children, before alerting her ex-husband and the father of the children, she acted as if compelled to call this Arizona man.

I remember this case- it had ties to AZ because Diane and the father of the children lived here in Chandler. I believe they actually removed a bullet for comparision out of the Chandler home.
I also read the Anne Rule book about this lady....To this day I can not hear Hungry Like Wolf without thinking of this woman and her poor children.

I do see some similarities with regard to the lack of care or concern and lack emotion.
The one thing that confuses me though about Casey is because Caylee only seemed to be a hinderance to her. Casey's friends seemed to accept Caylee openly.

Oh my gosh.... I'm just waiting to read that Diane's nanny's name was ZANI!

Welch and Alton then noted something that Lewiston added that hit a high-note because it complemented what their boss Fred Hugi had been contemplating all along — that the Downs children may have gotten in the way of their mother's love life. Despite her pleas, he refused to see her when she was with Danny, Christie and Cheryl. "I wouldn't be with her if the children were around," he explained. "It was an affair — it didn't seem right."

IMHO Casey didn't do this for a man. Diane Downs seemed more mentally ill then Casey.
Casey just wants her own way all the time. She will do away with anyone or anything that comes between her and what she wants. IMHO

Just the thought of a mother choosing a man over her children sickens me.....:(

IMHO Casey didn't do this for a man. Diane Downs seemed more mentally ill then Casey.
Casey just wants her own way all the time. She will do away with anyone or anything that comes between her and what she wants. IMHO

Yeah, but Downs is older then Casey given time, Casey would have become just as ill, she is well on her way there now. Plus Casey has been getting her own way for a long time, no job, built in babysitter (Most of the time)....really I think Casey is just a sick as Downs.

Hi all first time posting. I saw a picture of KC (the one smirking looking over her shoulder in court.) and the minute I saw it I thought of a picture of Ted Bundyalso smirking in court. I know one has little to do with the other but the resemblance is just startling.

Nice to meet such an intellegent group of people!!

Cara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members