LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #35

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never met Mickey, but videos like this one give a glimpse of what a fun-loving, sassy (as described by her sister, Charlie) girl she is/was. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q35vfpy80Rk"]Mickey Shunick: Being so Cutesy - YouTube[/ame]
If by some miracle, she is found alive, I'll be flying down from New Hampshire to celebrate with all of you in Lafayette. Seriously. :please:

That would be totally against HIPPA laws. Medical personal are not allowed to do any such thing, would be fired and could be prosecuted, sued by patient. etc.

Ochsner takes it very, very seriously, too. (I have a relative who works there.)

IMO she attacked him in the truck.
But I don't know at what point. Might have been on the way to his home.
I suspect he took her to his home and that became the major crime scene.
The bike was disposed of after. JMO

I think he bumped her and she fell. She was angry, but she was also hurt from the fall. She was smart and she was strong. If she wounded so bad she could not walk she would use her brains. He may have offered to take her to the hospital since he accidentally hit her (I did not see you, whatever). Then when she was in the vehicle she realized his plans and the fight broke out.

He may well have brought her to his house, but was not going to leave the bike in his truck outside and he would not have thought to bring the bike into the house. He had to get rid of the bike before going home because his g/friend might come by and see the bike in his truck and ask questions. He cleaned that truck up before he brought it home in case the g/friend(s) came by. He got rid of the body as soon as possible or at least out of site because he had a g/friend. In my opinion he might have dumped the bike even when she was alive because he did not want anyone to see the bike in his truck or at his house. He would have put the body in water because dealing with a body by yourself is not that easy. Even a 100-pound body if the person cannot help you at all lift or whatever -- it just is not easy to do. I think most likely he did dump the body within 2 hours after he killed her, pretty much right after he bumped her. He was really trying to not get caught in one jurisdiction, hoping that LE would not communicate well with other LE in other areas. Common.

~jmo
He took her and her bike.
She stabbed him somewhere along the way... (he had to burn the evidence because he couldn't fix it... knife jabs in seat, arm rest, dash or door? )
this happened near Whiskey Bay as he was driving.
He got "control" of her or tied her up...and did bad stuff to her...
(may have only tossed her bike at this time and not her)
Went to his place knowing his family was at the hospital with his step dad.
Held her for a time then killed her, hiding her under the sheeting of the mobile home.
Left to go to the hospital in order to have a police report to explain his new injuries.
In 9 days he would have to answer to the RSO contact.

Concocted his story during the drive and the wait at the ER.

Returned home and laid low for a few days... (LE stated a "major crime scene")
He had to get rid of body/dirt etc due to odor and buzzards. (as reported by neighbor)
He was seen moving or replacing the sheeting...during the day
In the cover of darkness he took her to her final resting place before Dad came home
on the 26th.

I think she IS close to his home! Somewhere he feels is she is safe from the prying eyes of LE. NOT on his property, but his brother's or parent's property.
(even they have no knowledge because they were at the hospital when he buried MS)

moo

<snipped>

He may well have brought her to his house, but was not going to leave the bike in his truck outside and he would not have thought to bring the bike into the house. He had to get rid of the bike before going home because his g/friend might come by and see the bike in his truck and ask questions. He cleaned that truck up before he brought it home in case the g/friend(s) came by. He got rid of the body as soon as possible or at least out of site because he had a g/friend. <snipped> .

But if he was afraid of someone seeing the bike, I'd think he would be even more afraid of someone seeing Mickey at his house. Would have been so very risky to take her to his house regardless of the time, imo.

Has anyone read anywhere that the stab wounds required any medical attention at all? Stitches, sutures or anything?

I read (peoples opinions on here) about it being too swollen for sutures and such... and since it probably happened at least 8 hrs before it was reported, I'm assuming the bleeding has stopped. (What is protocol for ER stab victims bleeding all over the place? Probably wouldn't allow someone to bleed all over the ER for hours on end huh?)

But my question is, why go to the hospital? If I got knifed (non life threatening) while committing kidnapping and murder, I would probably try to bandage it myself. Surely he had some bandaids or superglue hanging around. And with his profession its probably not his first cut to wrap up.

Why draw more attention to yourself? Why put yourself on the radar with this crazy far fetched story? (the day MS was taken) There's a reason he CHOSE to do this.

It seems like so many of the things he's done to "cover" his tracks has drawn more attention to him.

I feel like I'm onto something but I just can't quite figure it out. Does anyone else think that if they were in his shoes, they wouldn't go to the hospital unless it was life threatening?

Maybe I missed this if answered, but when did he meet his birth family? Did they search for him, or did he grow up in an open adoption where they knew him? Inquiring minds and I TIA.

Has anyone read anywhere that the stab wounds required any medical attention at all? Stitches, sutures or anything?

I read (peoples opinions on here) about it being too swollen for sutures and such... and since it probably happened at least 8 hrs before it was reported, I'm assuming the bleeding has stopped. (What is protocol for ER stab victims bleeding all over the place? Probably wouldn't allow someone to bleed all over the ER for hours on end huh?)

But my question is, why go to the hospital? If I got knifed (non life threatening) while committing kidnapping and murder, I would probably try to bandage it myself. Surely he had some bandaids or superglue hanging around. And with his profession its probably not his first cut to wrap up.

Why draw more attention to yourself? Why put yourself on the radar with this crazy far fetched story? (the day MS was taken) There's a reason he CHOSE to do this.

It seems like so many of the things he's done to "cover" his tracks has drawn more attention to him.

I feel like I'm onto something but I just can't quite figure it out. Does anyone else think that if they were in his shoes, they wouldn't go to the hospital unless it was life threatening?

Someone posted the theory that in his mind he was creating distance between himself and the scene of the crime, to have proof that he was somewhere else. I think there's some weird psychological reason behind it too. He had just victimized someone, but in his mind he's always the victim, things are always someone else's fault so he goes to the hospital and plays out the role of victim for real, and probably did a very convincing job of it, too.

I think he did it to provide himself with an alibi. He traveled a distance to place himself out of the area and concocted a story to explain his noticeable wounds.

She could have been unconscious for some time? Possibly regained consciousness, realized she was in trouble, and started fighting back? MOO.

To me if she had been unconscious or had built up his trust she may have attacked him with a knife or something while he was driving. This may be how he injured his hand and neck. She may have been going for his jugular while he was driving and he used his right hand to protect himself as she stabbed at him, injuring his neck, hand, chest and back.

He screwed up when he took Mickey. He wasn't prepared for a strong young woman who carried bales of hay, mucked stalls and had enough courage to jump over fences on the back of a horse.

I think he did it to provide himself with an alibi. He traveled a distance to place himself out of the area and concocted a story to explain his noticeable wounds.
That's very insightful. He probably did feel he had been victimized by Mickey when she fought back, turning things around in his own mind and believing himself to be the real victim.
I MEANT THE ABOVE TO BE IN REPLY TO ESKIMO'S POST.

Someone posted the theory that in his mind he was creating distance between himself and the scene of the crime, to have proof that he was somewhere else. I think there's some weird psychological reason behind it too. He had just victimized someone, but in his mind he's always the victim, things are always someone else's fault so he goes to the hospital and plays out the role of victim for real, and probably did a very convincing job of it, too.

But surely he knew that alibi'ing himself for 11pm (even 3 pm!) wouldn't be enough? Even taking into consideration that police hadn't pinpointed just yet when/if she was taken. You would think he would've made up a story to cover his *advertiser censored* for the entire night before. Not just the afternoon of.

I totally feel ya on the "I'm the victim" theory and there's no doubt in my mind that he's not right in the head but I still can't imagine the desire to be the "victim" is stronger than the desire to stay "under the radar and out of jail"

I think he knew he would be a suspect just being a RSO in the area with noticeable wounds on his body. Driving hours away to report a robbery that gave you those noticeable wounds probably felt safer to him or like a defense against any accusations. He probably reasoned that if anyone looked into him he could just shrug and say he was hours away filing police reports and being robbed.

But surely he knew that alibi'ing himself for 11pm (even 3 pm!) wouldn't be enough? Even taking into consideration that police hadn't pinpointed just yet when/if she was taken. You would think he would've made up a story to cover his *advertiser censored* for the entire night before. Not just the afternoon of.

I totally feel ya on the "I'm the victim" theory and there's no doubt in my mind that he's not right in the head but I still can't imagine the desire to be the "victim" is stronger than the desire to stay "under the radar and out of jail"
At that point he had no idea they had a video of his truck or that anyone cared that Mickey was missing. He had no idea how serious things would become and was creating an alibi. MOO

IMO he went to Ochsner New Orleans to support his alibi that he was in N.O. visiting a friend. Hope LE checks on that 'friend'!

His clothes would have been bloody, imo..

BSL, would have to go home/somewhere to clean up & change clothes before being seen. Maybe whiskey bay or a nearby lake...but unless he had a change of clothes it would be futile..
Prolly went home first..

RE: up all night..
Was he tweeking/meth?

A lot of offshore workers keep their offshore bag in their trucks ready to go so it's quite possible he had clothes with him. They also are up around 1 AM at time, have to drive a 5 hour drive to somewhere, take a boat, then work 12 hours when they get out there. Lack of sleep is par for the course.

IMO she attacked him in the truck.
But I don't know at what point. Might have been on the way to his home.
I suspect he took her to his home and that became the major crime scene.
The bike was disposed of after. JMO

The scenario could be the one in which she DID accept a ride from him after being knocked off her bike and maybe injured ... especially if she had a sharp weapon in her backpack, etc. He probably wouldn't have tried to take her purse/backpack from her right at first, so as to gain trust -- but she could have slipped her weapon out as soon as she had an inkling that he was not driving the way he should be or not stopping where he should, etc., to get to the destination to which he'd said he'd take her.

I think he knew he would be a suspect just being a RSO in the area with noticeable wounds on his body. Driving hours away to report a robbery that gave you those noticeable wounds probably felt safer to him or like a defense against any accusations. He probably reasoned that if anyone looked into him he could just shrug and say he was hours away filing police reports and being robbed.

Thats makes sense... In case the police came questioning, he'd have a story. (A very ridiculous unbelievable one that IMO makes him looks suspicious) But a story nonetheless.

The scenario could be the one in which she DID accept a ride from him after being knocked off her bike and maybe injured ... especially if she had a sharp weapon in her backpack, etc. He probably wouldn't have tried to take her purse/backpack from her right at first, so as to gain trust -- but she could have slipped her weapon out as soon as she had an inkling that he was not driving the way he should be or not stopping where he should, etc., to get to the destination to which he'd said he'd take her.

Quoting my own post just to continue my thoughts ...

I also think it possible he bumped her, approached her and she fled (as best she could, depending on her condition) -- either immediately or perhaps after he showed anger that she declined a ride "to a hospital" or such from him. If she had a box-cutter or knife stashed in her backpack/purse and still had it with her, she may have had it out to defend herself by the time he caught up with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne