IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #36

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really, who could look at those eager young faces, just buzzing along on bikes on a hot summer's day,
all excited about a forthcoming birthday... and murder them? Two of them no less.!!
Who could think of those little girls lying dead in the woods, with a family and community frantic with worry, and just go on with life as if nothing happened?
Hopefully, only a select few could,
so who is that heinous?

Can not believe the two year mark is here with no answers. Part of me knows these things take time, but I just can't help but have a pang of fear, as each anniversary passes, that LE may not ever have enough evidence to make an arrest and also get a conviction. :( I want to believe that they are building their case - but I am also a realist who knows statistically speaking the chances go down with each passing day.

Saying a little prayer today for the girls and their families, and also LE that they somehow find that break so that justice can be given to these sweet girls.

It's hard to keep the faith going when there is no answer. I can attest to that. Many others too. Can't imagine what the parents are going through.

Just keep it up. An answer may be had from anywhere for Elizabeth & Lyric. I hold out hope in so many missing/murdered cases that if I didn't have that hope, I'd probably be in such dispair.

Yippee aye ay, Rawhide...or whatever else picks you up. There will be someone who has harmed the girls sentenced, at least that's my belief & hope.

The girls have been on my mind today, and I imagine many of us are surprised there has yet to be any resolution. I have hopes that LE is working hard on this, and that some day there will be an announcement that the perps have been brought to justice.

I wish their was a description of the van. This is so close to the date of Elizabeth and Lyric's murder and also on a Friday. One can't help but wonder if there could be a connection even though the location is quite far from Evansdale. At least I would think about a connection anyway.

DONAHUE, IA
Population in 2012: 364 (0% urban, 100% rural). Population change since 2000: +24.2%

According to our research of Iowa and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Donahue, Iowa as of May 12, 2014.
The ratio of number of residents in Donahue to the number of sex offenders is 182 to 1.

Races:
•White alone - 339 (98.0%)
•Two or more races - 3 (0.9%)
•Hispanic - 3 (0.9%)
•Black alone - 1 (0.3%)

This town is near Davenport, IA

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Donahue-Iowa.html#ixzz37Unp2BoX

I don't know if it matters as it relates to the girls, but does anyone know if the prison sentences are real in Iowa? In California they're a joke. A 30 year sentence would maybe be 10, probably less. Still seems like a long time for drug charges, though. Makes me wonder if they're trying to make an example out of him, or punish him for other things.

I am certainly not an expert on sentencing but from the sounds of it his charges are going to require a minimum of 30ish years before he is even eligible for parole. It doesn't sound like he'll be out before then.

Not an expert either, but I'm of the opinion he will not be getting out for a looooong time, if ever. I don't think he directly had anything to do with the girls' abductions and murders, but indirectly his choice of lifestyle makes all family members vulnerable - and he's certainly not the only one making bad life decision choices in these two families.

Kent Smock on the Steele Report this morning....

Kent Smock said it's still a very active investigation. They still get several tips every week. He is sure that the case will be solved.

It will be interesting to see what pans out as far as arrests go. At the 3:20 mark Ron Steele flat out states that Drew believes it to be a sex offender but that others don't adhere to this belief and asks Smock "are you waiting for this person to re-offend or make a mistake" at which Smock replies "we certainly aren't waiting for HIM to strike again...we don't want another victim", and goes on to say "we want to make sure we have a rock solid case".

He also mentioned working with labs, DCI, FBI, and the "flurry of work going on"...it just makes me very anxious to find out how much of the truth is being told during these interviews and how much is going to be found to be flubbing on the part of police just to appease the public to hear SOMETHING.

And on a somewhat related note, it sounds (from Smock's interview) that this arrest may not come soon...he specifically mentions he "hopes" to not leave this case as his legacy when he leaves the force in Evansdale. How far away from retirement is he? :(

It will be interesting to see what pans out as far as arrests go. At the 3:20 mark Ron Steele flat out states that Drew believes it to be a sex offender but that others don't adhere to this belief and asks Smock "are you waiting for this person to re-offend or make a mistake" at which Smock replies "we certainly aren't waiting for HIM to strike again...we don't want another victim", and goes on to say "we want to make sure we have a rock solid case".

He also mentioned working with labs, DCI, FBI, and the "flurry of work going on"...it just makes me very anxious to find out how much of the truth is being told during these interviews and how much is going to be found to be flubbing on the part of police just to appease the public to hear SOMETHING.

It sounds to me more like he's being evasive because there's too much that he can't even talk about yet. Whether that's just wishful thinking, I don't know.

I personally think there is much much more to the story than we know. I also think that the person is currently locked up or being watched very carefully.

I've been poring over the threads on the case and finally just started way back at the beginning. There is so much to read through.

This case messes me up and it's really difficult to stomach the fear and pain these girls experienced.

Elizabeth Collins looks so much like my daughter, it's uncanny. I hope that LE knows more than they are letting on and can find justice for Elizabeth and her cousin, Lyric.

My questions after a few threads are:

1.) Why get off bikes where they did? Something caused that event. Were the bikes laid down nicely together or did it look like they were grabbed from their bikes?

"The area where the bikes were found is fenced on both sides, and it is right where maintenance gate is it is a spot that looks to me like a trap," Dan Morrissey said. "Somebody could have just come along right then or followed them down it would have been the worst spot to be in right there."

2.) Did LE mention a chain off the bike? Is it possible one of them became immobile and "someone" came and assisted?

3.) Why weren't the bikes and purse taken? Girls left original location to check on something and perp only saw them and knew nothing of the bikes/purse?

BROUSSEAU: Yes, not, you know, not at the -- just at the edge of the water. If you continue on down the bike trail east, there is about approximately 400 acres of forest, dense forest to the left side, and that is where the dogs continued on to and picked up the girls` scent. And that`s when they stopped and brought the dog back and they did the next dog. The next dog positively identified the next girl`s person to be in that forest. And that`s kind of where I believe it went cold for them. The dogs couldn't pick up anymore scent. I'm not saying for sure that they couldn't pick up more scent and go on further, but that is where the investigators stopped, brought the dogs back, told us that, yes, the dogs positively identified the girls to go past the site where the bikes were dropped and farther on into the forest.

4.) Purse is on lakeside. Why? Did it get dropped through the fence and the girls walked around to the wooded side to retrieve it and stumbled upon someone/something?

"The purse was on the lake-side of the fence, about 10 feet to the east of the bikes and about 2 feet from the fence, officials said."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
disturbedprincess6