CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems it is fires at Bob's old trainng ground, Camp Pendleton, that's causing all the smoke in Orange County and calls from worried members of the public. But I think it is getting a little better, as some evacuation orders for the Camp have been lifted.

Though it still sounds pretty bad. I hope this isn't any portent of things to come, for Orange County. All this is happening far to early for the fire season, isn't it?

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/fire-614682-fires-saturday.html

Yes, Zwiebel, this is far too early in the season for fires to begin. It is particularly sad that they are investigating suspicious activity surrounding the start of several of the fires.

Does anyone know when the successor to retiring Placentia PD Chief Hicks will be chosen yet, or who it might be? He is leaving in June, so there isn't long.

I can't find anything on Placentia's website at all, and the OC Reg has got its article behind the paywall.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/hicks-614369-chief-police.html

Interestingly, a search on google reveals the OC Reg has tagged the article, 'nothing important'. It's important to me, because this police department is responsible for Bob Harrod's case. And if the article's really nothing important, I don't see why it's put behind a paywall.

I know the Chief is selected by a mix of officials/local citizens. So hopefully the selection or appointment will be listed on a city agenda somewhere soon, or something.

I hope a Chief is elected who believes that bringing the missing home is very important....and who finds just the name of cold case unacceptable!

I still remember Chief Hicks doing this. I think it was such a great way to keep in touch with the community.

https://www.facebook.com/events/260955083935043/

And I never noticed this 'If you see something, say something' campaign. It would be quite good if we could adapt that for Bob: 'If you saw something, say something'!

http://youtu.be/WDhD2jf-Qgw

I also can't help thinking that a lot of 'retired' LE volunteer to work on cold cases....:)

Bobs killer must be put in jail. I think we all know who that is too...LE doesn't Hv enough to charge or they would Hv. They couldn't wait to get his money. It's sick.

Bobs killer must be put in jail. I think we all know who that is too...LE doesn't Hv enough to charge or they would Hv. They couldn't wait to get his money. It's sick.

I agree, Cherry. This is nuts -- everyone knows what has happened here, but I'm guessing that LE is still being careful to ensure that they have an ironclad case. There is no mystery here, to be sure. I keep wondering if this is a case where a number of people, let's say that they are perhaps related, are gambling that they will not fall down the drain.

This is an unusual case in some respects, in that there is a gamble underfoot. There are multiple parties who know what has gone on, and it's possible that multiple parties could basically retire in the crowbar hotel. It just takes one person with some moral fiber to keep the innocent safe and have those responsible go to the place they should. All of this is JMO, of course, but I'd wager that you could take it to the bank.

This will sound a little odd, but it's true.

I've gambled a few times in my life.

First time, on a big horse race (before I knew what those animals go through). My outsider horse came in first. The man who was supposed to place my bet, thought my choice was so stupid, he put it on another horse (he said, Lol!)

Second time, I dreamt of the winning horse's name, and placed a bet. It won. I didn't claim my winnings, for a couple of reasons, one being shyness.

Third time, I bought a lottery ticket for the first time. And got the winning numbers. I was too shy to claim, so someone did it for me, and they told me lots of people won that week, so it was just a few pounds/dollars. I never checked.

I decided after that I was probably better off not gambling, because it obviously did not suit me and I didn't really want to win. But if pushed, I would place one more bet. On Bob's killer (I do think he has been killed) being arrested one day. I had this dream, you see.....

O/T but not totally....

Thank you Massachusetts Coastguard (and the USA) for relaunching the search for the missing Brit sailors.

It may have been the 200,000 sig petition, or all the well known names asking.

I am convinced it was one crew member's daughter though. Claire Goslin. Just begging and pleading to everyone, to help her bring her dad home.

It is amazing what children can do when their parents go missing, isn't it?

UK UK - Missing at Sea - Nth Atlantic Ocean *Cheeki Rafiki* & 4 Crew, 16 May 2014 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

O/T but not totally....

Thank you Massachusetts Coastguard (and the USA) for relaunching the search for the missing Brit sailors.

It may have been the 200,000 sig petition, or all the well known names asking.

I am convinced it was one crew member's daughter though. Claire Goslin. Just begging and pleading to everyone, to help her bring her dad home.

It is amazing what children can do when their parents go missing, isn't it?

UK UK - Missing at Sea - Nth Atlantic Ocean *Cheeki Rafiki* & 4 Crew, 16 May 2014 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

BBM Yes it is, and that makes it even more disheartening when family shows an abysmal lack of concern in cases like Bob's and the McStay's.

I haven't even found another case where someone Bob's age went missing and there weren't any searches. The opposite in fact - usually everyone from the grandchildren up gets involved.

There seems to be a fair number of cases where it is presumed a missing senior was offered a ride and got into someone's vehicle. That can lead to searches being stepped down, although it always seems to turn out they didn't get in a vehicle at all. It can be an unfortunate distraction.

In Bob's case, him being so near home and having his own car, the 'got into a vehicle' theory really shouldn't have cropped up. But it did, and seemed to damage early search efforts for him too though. :(

If I'm not mistaken the OC Sheriff election is this year. I wonder if there will be a change there, as well as at Placentia PD? Though I don't think the Sheriff's Office ever had anything to do with the investigation of Bob's case, so I don't suppose it will make any difference there.

Bob's case needs one of those lucky breaks that happen sometimes in cold cases - a marriage crumbles and an ex-partner starts talking; friends fall out; or sometimes, someone with a little gem of information just takes years to come forward. Those people in particular get criticized sometimes.

Not me though. If someone helps bring Bob home I'll just be cheering them from the rooftops, no matter how long they waited.

Disappeared's back folks! The 'hiatus' is over and shows are in production again. But this time with a different format. They are going to be joining families with missing loved ones early in the case, so viewers will get to see, first hand, what families really go through when a loved one's missing.

Also, they'll have no way of knowing if the case will be resolved, so that'll differ from the previous format - there weren't many open cases like Bob's featured. I am glad.

Here's the thread where our sleuthers tracked the info down.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227715&page=3

Peacock Productions media release.
http://www.peacockproductions.tv/series/disappeared/

There are 6 victims confirmed now. I'm so sad for the Isla Vista community. Whenever a mass killing occurs, it becomes very clear just how many people are affected and damaged, beyond the victims themselves.

Mass or rampage killers are often seeking to inflict the maximum damage though, and often choose to exit this world along with their victims. So it's doubtful if they care. But it makes me wonder about murderers who kill an individual for a specific reason though - money for example. I wonder how they cope, when they become aware of the ripple effect of their murder, and how it has probably damaged people he/she never intended to hurt, or maybe even loves?

If I'm not mistaken the OC Sheriff election is this year. I wonder if there will be a change there, as well as at Placentia PD? Though I don't think the Sheriff's Office ever had anything to do with the investigation of Bob's case, so I don't suppose it will make any difference there.

Bob's case needs one of those lucky breaks that happen sometimes in cold cases - a marriage crumbles and an ex-partner starts talking; friends fall out; or sometimes, someone with a little gem of information just takes years to come forward. Those people in particular get criticized sometimes.

Not me though. If someone helps bring Bob home I'll just be cheering them from the rooftops, no matter how long they waited.

I can't help but wonder if that fall out occurs when Bob is declared deceased and certain persons aren't happy about the distribution of his assets.

Nothing would surprise me.......

Human remains have been found in Sky Forest, Lake Arrowhead, San Bernardino. BUT it is almost certainly not Bob. The remains were located very close to a rehab center where a man has been missing for 8 months.

It will take some time to ID whoever it is though, so thought I should flag it here.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014...rehab-center-may-be-those-of-missing-patient/

ETA: The missing man is Donovan Doyle, age 21. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member