LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
my take on "too much information" is that it is embellishment and seen frequently in lies.

According to her friend in that interview they had just ridden on bikes from the concert... so why check the tires if you just rode your bike? And if you were having tire problems and maybe were concerned about them why not ask your friend with a car to drive you home/throw your bike in the car?

I always carry a flat kit when I bike but if it were 2am and I was worried about my tires there is no way I would ride 5 miles worrying about it... I would just ask my friend for a ride.

:moo:

That's another thing. He said he didn't have a bike rack. The front wheel should come off very easily and it could have fit in the trunk/hatchback, but heck, he could have taken her home and she could have someone drop her off the next day to pick it up...after her brother's graduation. It's not like she needed the bike for work or school the next morning.

I wish that Brettly had appeared to be distraught over the disappearance of Mickey. He was very "matter of fact" and didn't appear to be worried. I am hoping that he is just a very optimistic young man. At least he didn't refer to her in past tense which was relieving.
While certain elements of LE may make a great to-do about persons using the past tense and "what it means," it's really a non-issue (at least to me). Situational aspects - tension, fear for the fate of the missing - scramble verb tenses and are not instantly indicative of guilt.

Same for me, but honestly did not need to go any further than "flogthegirl".

Googled out of optimism, that it was a Band as they are "concert" goers. No Band. But a personality insite, I believe.
BBM Oh no. Thanks for digging around and sharing this.

Though I am not "21" young, my hangovers can occasionally creep into a second day? Actually that's more "THE" case than not. Further from "21" than I thought :)

That just sounds like Mickey drank much more than she was normally used to.
Who was she out with the night before? Where were they partying?
Anyone know? I have not seen it reported only that her sister Charlene had come into town the night before.
JMO

This guy was brought up in the Holly Bobo case. A Private Investigator (Bill Warner) believes he is connected to some other cases as well as Holly's.

He would fit the description of the 55 yr old grey mustache. I believe this guy was in Jackson County, TN (??) at some point but I'm not sure.

http://pibillwarner.wordpress.com/2...r-big-jim-gunterman-hey-ashlee-what-the-hell/

jimmy-3.jpg

Wow, I hadn't heard of this before. I lived in Jackson County TN for years and it is a very rural place. Lots of nooks and crannies to hide in those hills!

Mahmoo,

Thank you for your search efforts and description of your experience.

(for anyone who might know)
I am wondering if anything is being done to log information about "who" is participating in the searches. In cases I have followed lately searchers need proper ID. It would seem likely in this case that the perp might insert himself into the investigation. This logging of searcher ID might help investigators narrow down a suspect.
JMO

A.C.I. would you have any incite into ID's being logged? I ask because of your stated investigation going on and I believe it should be a mandatory practice. Did you search with the groups or independently? If independently, I apologize in advance as you would probably not be privvy to this information or have seen this taking place.

""With the lack of evidence or leads, I would be focusing all my time on conducting surveillance on BW and see where that takes me in the next few weeks. But sadly, working on this case independently I dont have the resources/funds to conduct such an extensive investigation so I'm limited in how much I can actually contribute. Buta continued search and extensive surveillance on BW is what should be done IMO ""

I don't find the fact that BW mentioned checking the tire pressure terribly unusual. Many avid cyclists do a walk-around check of their bikes -- lights, tire pressure, tweak the seat height etc. before they ride off. And they're always chatting about the latest pieces of gear and accessories, so the fact that he mentioned it is probably part of what would be a normal (for a cyclist) explanation about the events of the evening.

I think what some of us might perceive as weird or even suspect phrasing by BW might be due to "the generation gap". I'm sure in hindsight BW wishes he had insisted he drive her home or that she'd spent the night. Maybe his feelings of guilt over that are coming across in his comments as uneasiness and that is causing people to sense that he could be culpable in some way?

The lurking green van is much higher on my list of probabilities.

I do. Planting the seed of an alternative ending IMO

I don't find the fact that BW mentioned checking the tire pressure terribly unusual. Many avid cyclists do a walk-around check of their bikes -- lights, tire pressure, tweak the seat height etc. before they ride off. And they're always chatting about the latest pieces of gear and accessories, so the fact that he mentioned it is probably part of what would be a normal (for a cyclist) explanation about the events of the evening.

I think what some of us might perceive as weird or even suspect phrasing by BW might be due to "the generation gap". I'm sure in hindsight BW wishes he had insisted he drive her home or that she'd spent the night. Maybe his feelings of guilt over that are coming across in his comments as uneasiness and that is causing people to sense that he could be culpable in some way?

The lurking green van is much higher on my list of probabilities.

I would happily join you in the pursuit of the "green van", but only after LE has cleared BW and their dwelling.

Is anyone else curious as to why police have not held an update/presser on this case? I find that really odd.

LE doesn't seem to be too keen on pressers around here.

I do. Planting the seed of an alternative ending IMO

Or stating a fact.

To everyone: I thought the drive- through at Taco Bell had been checked and verified by LE. I have a very busy day planned, but I will post a link, if indeed my memory is correct.

Back in 1st thread after seeing the first interview with BW I mentioned there were no tears. Here's the interview again:
http://www.katc.com/videos/search-is-on-for-missing-woman-10pm/

Now, almost all the cases I follow have some kind of event that's a bit out of the regular routine to things and precedes the crime.. So if BW is involved, was there a fight, did she want to no longer be involved with him... So far, haven't heard of anything taking place...

Then again, and as was mentioned, his mentioning she checked her tires falls into the category of "distancing oneself from a crime you know happened"... too much info and its like trying to say it happened while she was riding...

But all this said, still don't figure he's involved...

There was a case long ago on one the islands in Hawaii where a young gal was struck by two thugs while she was riding her bike home during the day...

In order to take a gal riding her bike, and also take her bike, it seems two or more thugs have to be involved since one has to keep the victim subdued while the other gets her bike...

The thugs in the Hawaiian case did not take the victims bike, and IIRC paint from her bike on their vehicle helped solve the case.

So I would think the thugs in MS case are experienced enough to know to take her bike. Most likely would have a vehicle in which it would be easy to get a bike into...

But something bothers me about MS case being as just mentioned... the gal in Hawaii was riding on a long empty road, giving thugs time to pass her by, turn around an then run into her while she had no place to escape to...

Different scene for MS - she has more chances of escape and getting attention...
So I wonder if anyone living near BW knew she would often ride along when leaving his place... and they followed her..
Seems more likely some knew a bit about MS riding her bike and was able to prepare for it...
Okay... that's it from me...

They could of had an argument. Something happened to make several neighbours contact the police.

I'm curious (and not sure of it's been brought up yet about BW's stolen bike. It appears theres been several bike thefts in the last few months. But noteably, BW's bike was found stuffed in some bushes near the cathedral cemetary by his house. This leads me to believe the bike was stolen from his house (and shows the type of neighborhood he lives in. Has this spot been thoroughly searched for any of Mickey's belongings?

I think TAI makes a good point.
1) If it was a abduction, the Saints streets is just littered with house after house. They are also right on top of each other and would not be hard to hear screams of a women fighting someone from taking her.
2) If it was a hit and take, it would be also unlikely due to the noise and lack of common place for someone not to panic and speed off.
3) It does make much more sense she got in willingly with someone she knew OR never left the house. The entire case is just extremely odd, literally like her and the bike vanished in thin air with not a single sole seeing or hearing anything.

If someone was out looking for prey that evening they could have followed her as she rode her bike along until there was a more desolate spot. If there was a person(s) in a van from out-of-state and they'd already mucked up an abduction earlier, they might be more calculating and cautious later on. They might have followed her on the St. Landry route -- the area near the Blackham complex and the UL bike path seem to pretty devoid of pedestrian traffic, cars and inhabited buildings. And no traffic cams up to that point.

The municipal traffic cameras are on Johnston, Congress and Ambassador. I think if she had been spotted on one of those cameras or on private security video LE would have put it out there already after almost 4 weekdays.

Back in 1st thread after seeing the first interview with BW I mentioned there were no tears. Here's the interview again:
http://www.katc.com/videos/search-is-on-for-missing-woman-10pm/

Now, almost all the cases I follow have some kind of event that's a bit out of the regular routine to things and precedes the crime.. So if BW is involved, was there a fight, did she want to no longer be involved with him... So far, haven't heard of anything taking place...

Then again, and as was mentioned, his mentioning she checked her tires falls into the category of "distancing oneself from a crime you know happened"... too much info and its like trying to say it happened while she was riding...

But all this said, still don't figure he's involved...

There was a case long ago on one the islands in Hawaii where a young gal was struck by two thugs while she was riding her bike home during the day...

In order to take a gal riding her bike, and also take her bike, it seems two or more thugs have to be involved since one has to keep the victim subdued while the other gets her bike...

The thugs in the Hawaiian case did not take the victims bike, and IIRC paint from her bike on their vehicle helped solve the case.

So I would think the thugs in MS case are experienced enough to know to take her bike. Most likely would have a vehicle in which it would be easy to get a bike into...

But something bothers me about MS case being as just mentioned... the gal in Hawaii was riding on a long empty road, giving thugs time to pass her by, turn around an then run into her while she had no place to escape to...

Different scene for MS - she has more chances of escape and getting attention...
So I wonder if anyone living near BW knew she would often ride along when leaving his place... and they followed her..
Seems more likely some knew a bit about MS riding her bike and was able to prepare for it...
Okay... that's it from me...

Agreed! I don't get the feeling BW is involved, however, that last interview I saw with him was quite a dramatic performance, not saying it was wasn't real, just very dramatic!!! I get the feeling that it is someone who knows her route because according to BW, she rides to and from his house frequently. It's someone who has been planning this and waited for the right moment. A young beautiful girl who is riding their bike at 2 am is like a kid in a candy store for predators. It could possibly even be someone that befriended her during these frequent trips gaining her trust. LE should be searching (if they can get a warrant) homes along that path.

One thing about the idea of Brettly giving out too much info...he did an interview where he described her bike and he detailed it to the nth degree, specifying what type of saddle she had and that type of thing. I think he's just a that kind of person, maybe he has a little OCD or something.

I obviously don't know if he's responsible for what happened to Mickey, but I do think if you are going to put a mark against him for a phrase on his Myspace page then he should get credit for biking across country to help affordable housing and doing so much to raise awareness of Mickey's disappearance including having the community come together at his house to coordinate efforts to find her. It does appear that Mickey has a very devoted and positive group of family and friends on her side.

That's another thing. He said he didn't have a bike rack. The front wheel should come off very easily and it could have fit in the trunk/hatchback, but heck, he could have taken her home and she could have someone drop her off the next day to pick it up...after her brother's graduation. It's not like she needed the bike for work or school the next morning.

Great incite as I was wondering what kind of car he drives and if he could fit the bike in the back seat. Which I have done several times. I loved the "could of dropped the bike off the next day" thought. Especially with her being so nauseous and tired. But I would suppose this is more of a "Boyfriendly" type of move (there is no way you are riding your bike in this condition, I'm driving you home), not a "Platonically" type of move (Ehh Whatever).

Agreed! I don't get the feeling BW is involved, however, that last interview I saw with him was quite a dramatic performance, not saying it was wasn't real, just very dramatic!!! I get the feeling that it is someone who knows her route because according to BW, she rides to and from his house frequently. It's someone who has been planning this and waited for the right moment. A young beautiful girl who is riding their bike at 2 am is like a kid in a candy store for predators. It could possibly even be someone that befriended her during these frequent trips gaining her trust. LE should be searching (if they can get a warrant) homes along that path.

Reading the bbm above makes me wonder again about the someone that stole BW's bike a short time ago.

[BW just had his bike returned to him on May 9th]

ETA: apparently it was found abandoned in a cemetery by the sheriff's office after BW put out an APB to the local bike community

someone said BW shows no emotion that his friend is missing. Did you not see the first video? He was obviously distraught. Also, the police investigation didn't start until Monday, but I know for sure that her friends, including BW, were looking for as early as Saturday afternoon, when is when I found out that Mickey was missing. I get that being the last person to be seen with someone comes with persons being suspected of wrong doing, but I just want to reiterate that, as someone who knows this whole group of kids, they are good people who are desperately worried about their friend, BW included.

BW confirmed last night on Jane Valez Mitchell that police have searched his home, car, and laptop. I don't have any reason to believe he wasn't being truthful when he said that, since police could obviously say that wasn't true if it wasn't. Kids in their early 20's don't think and do things the way people in their 40's do, or even their 30's.

Much mention about all the cameras - but wonder if they would see a person riding at 2am... If I were LE I would do some trial runs of routes to see...

Also, need to look at the map for bridges going over water... a likely place to toss a bike from if done by someone local...
if out of town, then bike could be anywhere... but I would think thugs don't want to keep the bike with or near them..
- the rule-of-three; abduct from one place, throw away evidence at another, and (hate saying) dispose of victim at yet another place...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Little boston