TX - 'Lori Ruff', Longview, WhtFem UP9863, *General Discussion and Theories* #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has her mitochondrial DNA been tested at a commercial place? Is her daughter too young for the father or a lawyer to sign off on having hers tested?

A friend of mine's sister randomly had hers done. Was she ever shocked when it came back to say there was at least one other person who matched hers?? She knew her three brothers had not had their blood tested. So, that meant she had an unknown sibling out there! She started searching FB, and found a site where a woman spelling her last name different, had pictures of HER father displayed in his Army uniform which she had never seen. Both parents are deceased. She and her brothers put their heads together, going backwards, and put the pieces together. Good ole' Dad had two families at the same time! He was only married to the second lady. Apparently those tests we see advertised, do work!

It might help solve this mystery if they could do this test to see what it tells them. They could use Lori's blood, guess they don't really need daughter's.

FLEK was cremated, no autopsy and no chance to do her mitochondrial DNA except through her daughter. We have no way of knowing if the daughter has been tested. Never heard of an age limit.

If a donor egg was used, all bets are off.

The JD in LA had a father that died in 2014 and he also went by Jon.
http://findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg...Sst=6&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=134720963&df=all&
His obituary is no longer up online and I can't find it elsewhere: http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/di...963&uuid=57c7972c-9fe9-4c36-8ad4-584ebb844975

I was looking into the father earlier today, he has connections to CA. and OR. He was born in LA in 1957, was married in Klamath Falls, OR in 1976 to a J. Barrick and divorced in Klamath Falls in 1981. His son was born in LA in 1988, the mother is listed as Mendez on the birth certificate.

http://www.emailsherlock.com/emailsearch/csengineer2002@yahoo.com/

The email address was also used on Eventful and Slideshare. Lori A. Ruff and and Erica Lori Ruff are currently on Slideshare and are involved in marketing, but I don't see that FLEK ever posted on the site.

The PersonalityForge site is odd. Why create an account and only log on for 5 minutes and send one message? I would like to see that message.

In looking at the personality forge, does this mean that Cedar is saying HIS name is Jon Dorner? I'm not familiar with this site.

I just found the mother of RWB's son. They married in 1981 in Jackson County, MO. The marriage record is only on Ancestry and I had overlooked it because RWB said he lived in Colorado at the time. But there is no doubt this is the same RWB. His ex-wife shared an address with his son in Texas in the 90's but they are not listed together anywhere and she had remarried by then. I had to go through all the people who lived at his oldest address Texas address to find her. She remarried in Texas. She uses the same maiden name in her marriage to her second husband: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VY76-QXQ
They also had two kids in the early 90's.The weird thing is her maiden name is not very common yet I didn't find her in any yearbooks or listed in public records for the address she listed on the 1981 marriage record and NONE of the people listed at that address during that time period share her surname. Could be nothing but I'm trying to find her alive today to make sure she's not FLEK. I posted the above link in case anyone wants to help search for KG. I'm good at the genealogy stuff but not so good at finding people on social media.

I found a recent picture of KG on her daughter's fb. She is not FLEK. Still no idea what happened to the BST that married RWB.

I was looking into the father earlier today, he has connections to CA. and OR. He was born in LA in 1957, was married in Klamath Falls, OR in 1976 to a J. B@rrick and divorced in Klamath Falls in 1981. His son was born in LA in 1988, the mother is listed as M3nd3z on the birth certificate.

I found all that as well. The mother's first name is Patricia. She has an address history in CA up to 2007. Also she was born in 1949 so it seems unlikely she is FLEK. I haven't found much on JD's parents yet to see if maybe he had a sister that could be FLEK.

In looking at the personality forge, does this mean that Cedar is saying HIS name is Jon Dorner? I'm not familiar with this site.

I looked at other profiles on this site because this user profile is so confusing. The user name is the real life name of the character. The user name is Jon Dorner who is listed as a male with a character name of Cedar who is a female. The most surprising thing is he lists his email address as csengineer2002@yahoo.com, which is the same email address that FLEK used at this time. I think FLEK goofed and entered the person she was trying to contact as the user name.

Ben Perkins was providing legal assistance of some sort to the Good Shepherd Center Paralegal Clinic. Good Shepherd was a domestic violence shelter in Los Angeles and they opened this paralegal clinic in 1980.
attachment.php

http://www.goodshepherdshelter.org/our-story/

Wow! Great find. I haven't seen this before. This seals it for me that BP Jr. was involved
somehow. The shelter records are probably super private to protect the women but I wonder if showing FLEK's photo to a former employee would get any answers.

ETA: The note could have been written by someone else in the shelter. Maybe they gave it to FLEK because it had BP's info on it?

I found all that as well. The mother's first name is Patricia. She has an address history in CA up to 2007. Also she was born in 1949 so it seems unlikely she is FLEK. I haven't found much on JD's parents yet to see if maybe he had a sister that could be FLEK.

I have found P on Facebook, along with J Jr. They look very 'ethnic'. So THEY likely have no connection to FLEK, however, yet to find any info on J Sr. Also! I am noticing a similar town address between JD's past residences and the place where SBH's (remember the Howder mom?) parents lived I think. :/

I have found P on Facebook, along with J Jr. They look very 'ethnic'. So THEY likely have no connection to FLEK, however, yet to find any info on J Sr. Also! I am noticing a similar town address between JD's past residences and the place where SBH's (remember the Howder mom?) parents lived I think. :/

JD has connections to women named Wendy and Juanita. I seem to recall those names connected to the Howder family.

I just read somewhere today that they were able to get DNA from FLEK's hair stands and skin cells..... and that she carried a gene for coronary artery disease. I am not sure what else, if anything, they extracted from such DNA. It would be interesting to see it now submitted to the likes of Ancestry or 23andme.

Her DNA is on ancestry put there by Velling under " Jane doe"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, I didn't see the post from 2013. I think everyone in 2013 assumed that Blake had created the character because his first name is Jon and he is male. I don't see any reference to a date of birth on the site and Blake wasn't born in 01/70, he was born 4/18/69. The character name of Cedar and the email address make me think it was created by FLEK. The email address is only associated with FLEK and Blake, so why would the user name be Jon Dorner? .

You just reminded me of the fact that the writer of the 1987 movie Positive ID was written by a U of T Arlington professor. It tells how to change your id the way she did it. Wonder if she has been in Texas all along and all this other stuff was just side trips? Maybe she took his class

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093763/fullcredits/

Andrew Anderson is his name

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0026339/?ref_=ttfc_fc_wr1
I contacted him a while back to see if he remembered FLEK and he didn't reply. Maybe if someone else wants to try? He has FB and Linkedin.

Wow! Great find. I haven't seen this before. This seals it for me that BP Jr. was involved
somehow. The shelter records are probably super private to protect the women but I wonder if showing FLEK's photo to a former employee would get any answers.

ETA: The note could have been written by someone else in the shelter. Maybe they gave it to FLEK because it had BP's info on it?
This article says Perkins was "of the legal aid foundation". Legal aid foundations provide pro bono or sliding fee scale legal services to either victims of violence or just because they are low income. It just depends on that particular foundations' rules. So obviously the foundation was providing services to people at that shelter but if Perkins took assignments from the Legal Aide Foundation then he was probably providing all kinds of services to other low income persons or victims of violence. In my area, services usually center around divorces for victims of domestic violence, or landlord/tenant issues. However, some even help with bankruptcy. What services they provide and to whom depends on their rules and how much funding the foundation has or how many attorneys they have who are willing to work for lower fees. So maybe this one provided bankruptcy help. OR, was Perkins some kind of member of the board? Hard to say by the way they worded it. But it makes sense to me that he took assignments from them and probably focused on bankruptcy.

Here are today's LOs Angeles Legal Aid Foundation qualifiers. The website also lists current locations and phone numbers. I'm now wondering whether their phone number from the late 80s appears on the notes page someplace. She may have been a victim of domestic violence that called legal aid and was given Perkins info. Im gonna see what else I can find on their website.

https://lafla.org/mobile/get-legal-help

Here are the attorney opportunities currently:

https://lafla.org/mobile/volunteer-for-lafla/

According to this July 1988 article, the Good Shepard Center for Independent Living was not a domestic violence shelter but a center for independent living for people with disabilities. However that doesn't mean the legal aid foundation didn't have one somewhere. I'm wondering if we should try to find it. Also, I'm now wondering whether Perkins could have been a member of the Good Shepherd church.

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-07-11/news/mn-4120_1_black-community-leader/2

Ben Perkins was providing legal assistance of some sort to the Good Shepherd Center Paralegal Clinic. Good Shepherd was a domestic violence shelter in Los Angeles and they opened this paralegal clinic in 1980.
attachment.php

http://www.goodshepherdshelter.org/our-story/

That Espie name is really uncommon. I can't find a thing about her. Ancestry only has people by that surname coming over from Ireland in the 1800's. I think perhaps it is misspelled. I even tried searching with Esperanza instead of Espie. If anyone finds another article with this persons name spelled differently, please share. Thanks!

According to this July 1988 article, the Good Shepard Center for Independent Living was not a domestic violence shelter but a center for independent living for people with disabilities. However that doesn't mean the legal aid foundation didn't have one somewhere. I'm wondering if we should try to find it. Also, I'm now wondering whether Perkins could have been a member of the Good Shepherd church.

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-07-11/news/mn-4120_1_black-community-leader/2

I used the church's address from the article milkymama posted to see if there was anyone interesting associated with the address. There was a Laura W. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KRB1-DB1
One of Ben Perkins Sr's sisters has that W. surname. I can't connect them though because it's a common surname and the one address record has no birth date attached.

Has her mitochondrial DNA been tested at a commercial place? Is her daughter too young for the father or a lawyer to sign off on having hers tested?

(SNIPPED)

It might help solve this mystery if they could do this test to see what it tells them. They could use Lori's blood, guess they don't really need daughter's.

I just wanted to clarify some misconceptions that appear in this thread about commercial genetic genealogy DNA testing. FLEK's mitochondrial DNA will not be helpful in tracing her biological family. It is autosomal DNA that is tested by the companies offering DNA testing for ancestry like 23andMe and AncestryDNA. (Family Tree DNA offers both atDNA and mtDNA tests, but the latter are only informative of deep ancestry and not useful for tracing recent family.) Also, blood is not used for these tests. 23andMe and AncestryDNA are both saliva tests. Neither company will accept any other types of DNA samples and, therefore, they cannot be used to trace the identity of a Jane or John Doe after death or from tissue samples, blood, hair, skin cells, teeth or any other DNA source. You have to get DNA from a living person who can produce and spit saliva into the tube, which is why FLEK's daughter would be the one who needs to test (as long as she was not conceived using an egg donor). Many coroners working on identification in cold cases have contacted me hoping we could take this route after reading or seeing media on one of my successful cases. Unfortunately, it is simply not possible at this time. If this case really was solved using the commercial genetic genealogy databases, then FLEK's daughter must have been tested unless FLEK herself tested with one or more of these companies prior to her death, which seems highly unlikely. Lastly, there is no age requirement for these tests with parental permission.

Undoubtedly, her DNA has been run through the law enforcement databases (with no hits), but that is quite different than what we use for genealogy and unknown parentage purposes. I have no doubt that this case could be (if it hasn't been already) solved by genetic genealogy and employing the same methods we use for unknown parentage searches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandrz717