Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
just keep in mind, if it was in the wee hours of the morning and a crime was committed I don't think they would care if they were driving down one ways and alleys. I just pray we wake up tomorrow in Calgary with some answers. This is far to long for a happy ending IMHO

Yes and no. If someone was in the middle of committing abduction and murder, I doubt they would risk a ticket for going the wrong way on a one way. 1A seems to split to the house, or Stanley Park and the Elbow River ... which is probably a popular spot for teenagers getting together on summer evenings. It's probably patrolled.

:fireworks:O/T I'm back! Evidently the barge on the ocean in which to shoot off the fireworks has malfunctioned...firetruck on scene. Oh well...where were we?

Wouldn't it be something if the vehicle was tracked for miles ... at least police would have an idea about whether it left the city, and if so in which direction. The family did say that they are no longer in Calgary. The father did say that his son's soul is with God. We now know that there was blood and violence at the scene, but the family has known that since the beginnning.

Now that they have a truck description and hopefully a gneneral location, they should be able to track down such a rare vehicle that was probably registered in the last 5 years, even if it isn't registered today.

bbm - I must have missed that.

The family said who is no longer in Calgary? And how would they know, if they mean the three missing people?

Did the father really say this about his son? Again, must have missed that. So he thinks Nathan is dead?

I'm a bit confused now.

bbm - I must have missed that.

The family said who is no longer in Calgary? And how would they know, if they mean the three missing people?

Did the father really say this about his son? Again, must have missed that. So he thinks Nathan is dead?

I'm a bit confused now.

I read through the documents about the relationship between the gas patent and the house builder. It seems that the gas patent was promoted as having a remote gas fuse lighter or something like that ... that's from a patent in about 1974 where Alvin was one of four people mentioned on the patent. I read it a couple of days ago, but need to re-search the link. I think it was something used in mining and gas exploration. Did his patents not work, but he was soliciting finances anyway?

I wonder - did the house building company sue Alvin?

Recent Patents (incomplete list)

http://www.faqs.org/patents/inventor/alvin-7/

In looking at patents, it looks like Alvin was named on a patent, although he was not the inventor, in the early 1970s. In 2006, an inventor registered a patent and the one that Alvin worked on was referenced. That 2006 invention was sold to Suncor, so big money from a big oil company. In about 2009, Alvin started registering patents related to the same 1970s patents ... 2009, 2011, 2013.

Here are a few links:

http://patents.justia.com/inventor/alvin-liknes
http://www.faqs.org/patents/inventor/alvin-7/
http://www.google.gy/patents/US5806598
http://www.google.gy/patents/US20130020069

In looking at patents, it looks like Alvin was named on a patent, although he was not the inventor, in the early 1970s. In 2006, an inventor registered a patent and the one that Alvin worked on was referenced. That 2006 invention was sold to Suncor, so big money from a big oil company. In about 2009, Alvin started registering patents related to the same 1970s patents ... 2009, 2011, 2013.

Maybe there was a dispute over names in patents and how to split any money that came from them?

Yes and no. If someone was in the middle of committing abduction and murder, I doubt they would risk a ticket for going the wrong way on a one way. 1A seems to split to the house, or Stanley Park and the Elbow River ... which is probably a popular spot for teenagers getting together on summer evenings. It's probably patrolled.
Calgary has pass ways through out the city that you can not drive on but these path ways are extensive and most can not be patrolled because the area is to large

Has anything been said that either of the grandparents did NOT want to move or was hesitant to start over?

I need to look for court records there. Both had filed for bankruptcy in the past, but not at the same time, correct? Was investments all put in the other spouse's name during those filings?

Still getting that :fishy: feeling.

Pleas to Grandma's safe return. Is that to remind Grandpa how much Grandma is loved, and to hopefully get a response of sorts? Pleading to him, without pleading to him???

What would be the purpose of taking an injured or deceased person with you when leaving? Just a robbery, wouldn't they just have killed witnesses and left? Was a rug, or sheets, etc., still in the home? Is that what items that are now missing, and police are wanting to see if they were sold??

JMO, but LE not wanting to state if cellphones, wallets, etc., were taken from the home, nor any mention of debit/credit/bank cards being used since they all disappeared, etc., makes me feel like they are missing. Perhaps purse is there, and wallet gone?? Grandma is a tiny lady in comparison to Grandpa. Can't see her being able to drag him anywhere. Doubtful either would want to harm the child, and neither would have a reason to drag the child, they could carry him.

"IF" there is a basement, there could have been lots of household items in there to sell. We don't know at this point really about how much they sold, how much they made, etc. Is there craigslist in Canada? What other classifieds to see if that truck was recently for sale, or bought?? I don't know Canadian prices. Trucks in USA seem to hold value more than a car does. FWD even more so, from our experience. One that age in VA...probably could get for under $5,000, so, easy for most people to buy. Strangely enough, I still see those models being driven here, and I'm familiar with the green coloring. I'm not so certain on the year given though. Don't remember that coloring in late 80's. I'll have my husband look later today and see what he thinks. He isn't a Ford guy, but usually is close on models and years of vehicles in general. Dodge he would have no problem with. Going to see if I can post that photo on my facebook page, and see what the locals here would think it is as for the year.

I wouldn't think Canada is much different than the US in having like our DMV. Division of Motor Vehicles. A simple search within the DMV by LE can pull up how many of a model are in the area, who owns them, etc. Insurance companies also have this knowledge and can give a value of the vehicle for the area as well.

Well...all Just My Ramblings...while I sit here awake, praying this child is OK, and reunited with his family soon!

Routes for leaving the city most easily

Pestering wives...we always find a way for an answer. ;) He says it's 80's model. But he said he would look later today to pin down a closer period. He didn't seem thrilled that I wanted him to stay awake and find me the answer at 4 AM. :gaah: MEN!

Has anything been said that either of the grandparents did NOT want to move or was hesitant to start over?

I need to look for court records there. Both had filed for bankruptcy in the past, but not at the same time, correct? Was investments all put in the other spouse's name during those filings?

Still getting that :fishy: feeling.

Pleas to Grandma's safe return. Is that to remind Grandpa how much Grandma is loved, and to hopefully get a response of sorts? Pleading to him, without pleading to him???

What would be the purpose of taking an injured or deceased person with you when leaving? Just a robbery, wouldn't they just have killed witnesses and left? Was a rug, or sheets, etc., still in the home? Is that what items that are now missing, and police are wanting to see if they were sold??

JMO, but LE not wanting to state if cellphones, wallets, etc., were taken from the home, nor any mention of debit/credit/bank cards being used since they all disappeared, etc., makes me feel like they are missing. Perhaps purse is there, and wallet gone?? Grandma is a tiny lady in comparison to Grandpa. Can't see her being able to drag him anywhere. Doubtful either would want to harm the child, and neither would have a reason to drag the child, they could carry him.

"IF" there is a basement, there could have been lots of household items in there to sell. We don't know at this point really about how much they sold, how much they made, etc. Is there craigslist in Canada? What other classifieds to see if that truck was recently for sale, or bought?? I don't know Canadian prices. Trucks in USA seem to hold value more than a car does. FWD even more so, from our experience. One that age in VA...probably could get for under $5,000, so, easy for most people to buy. Strangely enough, I still see those models being driven here, and I'm familiar with the green coloring. I'm not so certain on the year given though. Don't remember that coloring in late 80's. I'll have my husband look later today and see what he thinks. He isn't a Ford guy, but usually is close on models and years of vehicles in general. Dodge he would have no problem with. Going to see if I can post that photo on my facebook page, and see what the locals here would think it is as for the year.

I wouldn't think Canada is much different than the US in having like our DMV. Division of Motor Vehicles. A simple search within the DMV by LE can pull up how many of a model are in the area, who owns them, etc. Insurance companies also have this knowledge and can give a value of the vehicle for the area as well.

Well...all Just My Ramblings...while I sit here awake, praying this child is OK, and reunited with his family soon!

I think all houses in Calgary have a basement because of permafrost. All foundations have to be 4 feet into the dirt - thus the basement, as it makes more sense to build 8 feet than four. Adding front steps makes up for the extra four feet. It's more cost effective in terms of living space.

This family had a house with a basement, but it looks like it was a partial walkout in the front. The back was probably more in line (level) with the floor at the top of the stairs.

I think the truck in the photo is the basic model, probably 1991-1993?

If this was a robbery gone bad then why take the people/bodies? Get in, get out. Why risk being caught with them in a vehicle.

Maybe the perp was someone that they knew. Someone who knew that they were supposed to be leaving town. They would take the bodies to make it look like the victims did in fact leave as planned. Perp might have been planning to come back and remove the vehicles but daughter showed up and reported the scene before perp could return. Which leads me to suspect a certain someone who showed up that morning 'because no one answered the phone'

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Everything above is JMO!

With 40 detectives on the case, and 80 officers working the case, this seems to be a manhunt.

It's no surprise given that a five year old child is missing.

If this wasn't pre-meditated, it could have been abandoned as soon as the child was seen/noticed. For some reason, the presence of a five year old child was not enough to avoid what happened.

Did the grandparents have any idea that someone might target them?

Hi all. I have been on websleuths for quite a few years but rarely log in and post. I just read. When I went to log in last night my account didn't exist anymore. Anyhow this case has got my attention.

I think this case is really bugging me because, for one thing, I have sons and I can't imagine having one missing and because when my boys were little my husband and I both worked nights sometimes and my boys quite often stayed overnight with my parents. My parents don't live in a very nice area and I used to worry about what would happen if someone broke in.

Anyways, I have a couple thoughts that occurred to me as I have been reading along this wk:
1. I keep remembering the Groene case. Everyone was so sure the murders of mom, bf and older son were drug related because these people were known drug users. In actuality, the two small children were the target of a sex offender who had seen them out in the yard. One man pulled off this murder of 3 people and abduction of 2 kids.
2. In relation to the release of info about the truck. It is very possible that they know the truck is involved because if they could see it on the street wouldn't they have seen it in the driveway too? They may have seen a lot more than they are saying. An example of this that comes to mind is in the Jennifer kesse case. For a long time they said the poi was walking by at the time her car was dropped but revealed months later that they actually had this poi on video parking her car.

Wouldn't it be something if the vehicle was tracked for miles ... at least police would have an idea about whether it left the city, and if so in which direction. The family did say that they are no longer in Calgary. The father did say that his son's soul is with God. We now know that there was blood and violence at the scene, but the family has known that since the beginnning.

Now that they have a truck description and hopefully a gneneral location, they should be able to track down such a rare vehicle that was probably registered in the last 5 years, even if it isn't registered today.

Wondering if perp was there for Calgary Stampede and if there is video surveillance of the parking lot or possibly only in Calgary to work at the stampede?

A robbery gone bad is one thing. Taking 3 bodies is another, and just doesn't make sense to me, too much trouble and for what purpose? Sadly, I suspect a domestic incident within the home itself. Things got out of hand, someone died, disposal of a body may have been necessary.... The remaining person is perhaps left to flee, taking Nathan with them? But how was the escape made with no vehicle? Will be interesting to hear who the owner of the green truck is and if it's connected in any way to the family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txtruecrimekat