Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If DG is involved could his motive have been to keep AL and KL for ransom on the farm somewhere knowing that there was money available within the family to pay the ransom? But with N being there unexpectedly a confrontation escalated and someone panicked.

CTV 6 pm news just named POI and is talking about the links between the families (L, O and G) on Facebook. The reporter said he asked the family about the connection and the family responded no comment. They also showed a picture of the POI. I will look for a link once it is posted on CTV's website.
No comment? Hmmm someone knows something but JMO

Those reporters should have checked here yesterday and they could have broken the story a day earlier!

Since there is now a published connection between the person of interest and the missing couple, it brings me back the question of finances, and whether there were any financial arrangements between the two, especially how the bankruptcy factors into this. Given that the POI has a documented history of mental instability and criminal activity - which would have been known to everyone in the family - I sure hope that no one had any sort of questionable business dealing with him that could tip him into mental instability.
At this point, I think the grandparents were the target, and NO' wasn't supposed to be there.

From Global News at 6: (Mods, this has all be reported on the television so I am pretty sure it doesn't violate any rules)
- There are connections between the family and the people who own the acreage.
- Police remain on scene, police tape removed from a second scene that began earlier this afternoon.
- Search dogs on site.
- Boat and helicopter are now involved.
- Douglas Garland, 54 yrs. Remains in police custody on other matter. (Also reported to be 44 yrs in same report)
- Drug charges in the past, as well as identity fraud.
- Garland family may be related to the Liknes family.
- LE not confirming any details today.

So nothing new that we don't already know, but this has all be confirmed.

On another note, has anyone taken a look at AL's LinkedIn? What about KL's? Gives the name of where he works but I can't find information on the company.

Can't bare to think about this scenario?? Killer shows up at the house intending to murder KL and AL and out walks a sweet little 5 year old. If DG did harm them, didn't he care that that might be a possiblity, that a grandchild might be spending the night?? If it was him and he was set to inherit millions, couldn't he just have waited until his parents passed? I guess I am thinking too logically.

CTV 6 pm news just named POI and is talking about the links between the families (L, O and G) on Facebook. The reporter said he asked the family about the connection and the family responded no comment. They also showed a picture of the POI. I will look for a link once it is posted on CTV's website.

I wonder why the family is saying no comment about the connections between the families L, O and G?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/nathan-o-brien-amber-alert-person-of-interest-has-criminal-past-new-charge-1.2698107
New charge:
On Friday, police took Garland into custody for questioning related to the search for five-year-old Nathan O'Brien and his grandparents, Kathy and Alvin Liknes, and CBC News has learned police have charged him with stealing the identity of Matthew Kemper Hartley -- a 14-year-old Alberta boy killed in a car crash in 1980.

Wonder if they can hold him now?
He already served 39 months for that when he got caught in BC.

Sorry, the link is the last CBC article I posted.

DG might have a high IQ, but I have grave concerns about his mental health. We know of one mental breakdown (while at university), and the fact that he has recently AGAIN used the same deceased boy's identity is mind boggling. He went to prison on that charge (among others). An unbalanced mind just adds another scary dimension to this case. I realize that he may be innocent in this case, and I am not attesting to guilt on his part.

He had a breakdown at university, prior to completing a degree. He had another breakdown when he was working under an assumed name (supervisory role) and was fired. It's quite likely that there was too much pressure/stress on him and he couldn't cope. If someone had convinced him to invest a large sum of money, then claimed bankruptcy, but was planning a comfortable retirement in Mexico ... that could be another cause of a breakdown.

Its possible that DG was hired by someone and is being held to try to get info about others involved. I just have a feeling this is bigger than DG robbing the L's or wanting to abduct NO. Maybe someone got into trouble at the L home and called DG for help getting away and cleaning up the scene, etc.

Also...we havent heard of a history of violence with DG or child sex crimes either.

Or is it possible that someone in the family owed DG money? Pure speculation and MOO.

i can remember reading early on in the media that the grandparents son arrived at the house not long after the scene was discovered.....he arrived because he was suspicious that his parent were not answering the phone. i haven't seen his name mentioned since. could this be partner of DG's sister?

i cannot find the link so asking for help from other users here.

Douglas Garland is in his early 50s. His sister is in a common-law relationship with a member of the Liknes family. Their parents, Archie and Doreen Garland, own the property being searched by police. Land title documents show the family bought the Airdrie land in 1973.
http://www.calgaryherald.com/touch/story.html?id=10005813

He was involved on a drug lab....
Related to the missing family....
Was brilliant.... Attention deficit ....

If DG is involved could his motive have been to keep AL and KL for ransom on the farm somewhere knowing that there was money available within the family to pay the ransom? But with N being there unexpectedly a confrontation escalated and someone panicked.

When the family mentioned $100,000 as a reward at a time when the investigation had barely begun, maybe they knew something ... perhaps there was a reason that they thought money would bring relief. I was shocked that there was a reward discussion so early on.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...terest-has-criminal-past-new-charge-1.2698107

While Garland had already confessed to stealing Matthew Hartley's identity in the 1990s when he was hiding out in Vancouver, the new charge laid this weekend relates to the recent use of that same identity and allows police to keep him remanded in custody until at least tomorrow.

CBC News learned Garland was released from questioning specifically in regards to the Nathan O'Brien disappearance, but remained in police custody in relation to the new charge of identity theft laid against him this weekend.

On Monday, Garland will make a court appearance related to his new charge of identity theft.

Being there was an estate the hours leading up to this, wouldn't they have quite a bit of cash on hand?

When the family mentioned $100,000 as a reward at a time when the investigation had barely begun, maybe they knew something ... perhaps there was a reason that they thought money would bring relief. I was shocked that there was a reward discussion so early on.

Exactly otto. Why have they not brought forth the reward perhaps because they realize from LE likely futile?

Ok just thinking out loud again... What about the drug aspect again. What if that is how the grandparents made money , or moved money for someone else ? Was DG the manufacturer / supplier and someone found the grandparents were planning to take off- perhaps with someone else's cash ? I have no idea but began to wonder myself when someone ask the question of how did they make money.
I saw on the other Outdoorsman site , posts about AL owning land in Evansburg. Which is apparently known for grow-ops and bad things happening to people. If DG built a drug lab once nothing says he wouldn't do it again. I dunno could be way off ... Just trying to be sure to look at all angles.

i can remember reading early on in the media that the grandparents son arrived at the house not long after the scene was discovered.....he arrived because he was suspicious that his parent were not answering the phone. i haven't seen his name mentioned since. could this be partner of DG's sister?

i cannot find the link so asking for help from other users here.

The family member who arrived at the Parkhill home later in the morning was the brother of the grandfather (AL).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper