Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the LE statement on the truck, at 3:08 in the video on this page:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...lert-violent-crime-happened-at-home-1.2696527

The vehicle was seen in the area the night of the incident driving in the area several times and we believe that the person in that vehicle may have information that will assist us in our investigation.

It was spotted during the course of the evening and the course of when we believe the incident occurred.

Right now we believe that person has information, or may have information in relation to our investigation.

The idea that DG could have been involved in MH's death is preposterous. ...This entire line of thinking is based on a misunderstanding of why someone would assume the identity of a dead child,

Nope.

It's very reasonable for the original person whose ID was stolen to happen to be a victim of a fatal car accident. But my thinking was based on DG's having been traumatized (enough to be told to the court) by a "horrific car crash" caused by himself. This accident seems to have great significance in his life and later behaviors. While you, at 17, thought of going to the library to obtain a fake ID, I could envision a scenario that in the event of me causing the accidental death of someone, my guilt may make me do anything to make that person to "live on" in some form.

Now if (suppose) DG was the driver in that accident and somehow managed to escape, and suppose officials never found the driver who caused the accident (say the license plate was either not there or unrecognizable), then he would be able to fake MKH's ID without a legal link.

In short, however unlikely you may think it is, it's not impossible that DG is involved in MKH's death. It's possible either way until we have sufficient evidence to dismiss one.

Considering DG successfully sued the govt. for unemployment insurance benefits under the false identity, I wouldn't be surprised if the current charge against him is a continuation of benefits seeking behavior under the false identity, namely welfare cheques...

IMO... Interesting theory that DG may have still been using the fake ID to receive welfare cheques...

:waitasec:

As a Mom of 3, I've left my child at my mothers place if they fell asleep and they had no issues. My guess is that JO had no problem leaving her sleeping son with her parents. She also stated that grandma is like a second mom.

I agree with you, I have four grandchildren of various ages and love them all. It is quite common that only one or two of them stay for the night, sometimes it is the older one, sometimes it is the younger one. Very often they either fall asleep in our place or do not want to go home for the night so they stay. Both my husband and myself really treasure the time spent with them as well as they love staying over. There is nothing out of ordinary that only one of the kids stayed at the grandparents' house, on the contrary, Nathan's mother was probably (and rightly so) thinking that he would be well taken care of. I believe that any normal grand-parent would do anything to protect their grandchildren.

One of the things that Ive wondered about from the beginning in this case, is why would the bodies need to be removed from the house, would'nt it be easier to make it look like a burglary gone bad, it would be hard work and very risky to drag bodies around and transport them in your own vehicle. I think maybe the reason the bodies couldn't be left in the house is that there were not three bodies. Three people going missing is a whole different scenario than if, say, two bodies were found and one person missing. DG has no history of violent crime, but has knowledge of identity theft . He might be a good person to know if you wanted to make yourself disappear.

Perhaps it was not the original plan to murder the three, but maybe to take them to a bank? And wouldn't it be odd to make plans to disappear with a young child? It would make it all so much harder. Besides I have a difficult time to believe that KL would do that to her daughter.

I am wondering if it might have anything to do with his sister. After all AL is the 'ex' father-in-law of her if I am correct?

Has DG's sister (the one related to the Liknes family) been interviewed by the police yet?

One of the things that Ive wondered about from the beginning in this case, is why would the bodies need to be removed from the house, would'nt it be easier to make it look like a burglary gone bad, it would be hard work and very risky to drag bodies around and transport them in your own vehicle. I think maybe the reason the bodies couldn't be left in the house is that there were not three bodies. Three people going missing is a whole different scenario than if, say, two bodies were found and one person missing. DG has no history of violent crime, but has knowledge of identity theft . He might be a good person to know if you wanted to make yourself disappear.

I agree with this. However, I also think that if a heated exchange took place and someone was hurt (for example, trying to forcefully remove him from their home and a fight ensuing), it's not so out of the ordinary that adrenaline and/or panic could have taken over. He has no history of violent crimes that LE is aware of. JMO.

I just found an article from the Calgary Sun (the date says that it is from June 7th) that says that
Nathan’s father, Rod O’Brien, told the Sun a reward consisting of a “large sum” would be announced Wednesday in relation to the search for his family. The amount could exceed $100,000.
Is this a new indication that there will be an award out for the missing family? Or is it, as I suspect, the case that the website has partially updated some information without removing the "old" news about the reward. The reason that I bring this up is because the article title "large reward to be announced" makes it seems like it is a new development on the July 7th. It is a good principle to keep in mind when sleuthing.

Great sleuthing so far everyone. The thread is moving so quickly I wouldn't be surprised if someone else has already brought this up before I post :p.

Here is the link.

http://www.theobserver.ca/2014/07/0...lgary-grandparents-and-young-boy-went-missing

The picture may have been published in order to get additional information, details they could obtain from witnesses .. did someone see the perp(s) get into the truck, were there witnesses to the events involving the truck during the night at the L's home? Where else was the truck seen on the night of the crime?

IMO... Very good theories for LE's intention of asking for information relating to the green truck...

- Did someone see person(s) entering exiting the truck?

-Did someone see the truck at the sale?... What were the activities in which it and the driver involved?

- Was the truck seen at other locations before, during, and after the sale... And thus, the disappearance of Nathan and his grandparents?

:waitasec:

I've been out the loop for a couple days. Miss all of your dedication to this case.

I noticed they resumed the search on the farm. I wonder if they are looking for a weapon that was used in the crime scene. Then they can lay more charges on DG?

Nope.

It's very reasonable for the original person whose ID was stolen to happen to be a victim of a fatal car accident. But my thinking was based on DG's having been traumatized (enough to be told to the court) by a "horrific car crash" caused by himself. This accident seems to have great significance in his life and later behaviors. While you, at 17, thought of going to the library to obtain a fake ID, I could envision a scenario that in the event of me causing the accidental death of someone, my guilt may make me do anything to make that person to "live on" in some form.

Now if (suppose) DG was the driver in that accident and somehow managed to escape, and suppose officials never found the driver who caused the accident (say the license plate was either not there or unrecognizable), then he would be able to fake MKH's ID without a legal link.

In short, however unlikely you may think it is, it's not impossible that DG is involved in MKH's death. It's possible either way until we have sufficient evidence to dismiss one.

Well MKH's mother does not know who the heck DG is:

Matt’s Hartley’s mother, June, said the family didn’t know Douglas Garland. Reached at her nursing home, she declined to speak further about her dead son.

“No. There would be no point. No point at all,” she told the National Post.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...than-obrien-charged-with-possessing-false-id/

The other vehicle in the incident was IDed as a half-ton truck (that would have licence plates, a VIN, possibly a company name associated with it):

The teen was at the wheel of a car near his family’s ranch in Cardston, about 3½ hours south of Calgary, when he hit a half-ton truck.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...than-obrien-charged-with-possessing-false-id/

How can DG get the information he needs (namely SIN #) to create a fake ID if, having "managed to escape", he would have to rely on the press to get such basic details like the victim's names and birthdates?

Why would he select an identity theft victim that had a direct tie to his original ID, if he wanted to hide successfully?

I would say if the half-ton vehicle remained at the accident scene and MKH's mother says she does not know of DG, DG wasn't involved in the accident that cause MKH's death.

I agree with this. However, I also think that if a heated exchange took place and someone was hurt (for example, trying to forcefully remove him from their home and a fight ensuing), it's not so out of the ordinary that adrenaline and/or panic could have taken over. He has no history of violent crimes that LE is aware of. JMO.

Perhaps they willingly left. IDK. There is not enough information and I think we are all speculating. :blush:

I believe there is alot more about DG that we don't know about. JMO.

BBM/UBM

Otto - I have been following this thread from the beginning...marking my spot each evening and resuming each morning. This was one of the first posts I read this morning after shutting down the iPad last night. Woah...I am assuming this is your theory?? I am holding out hope that the L's are being held somewhere with the sweet child, but am realistic in knowing that as time passes without a trace of them, the outcome can't be good.

FWIW, your posts are so thought provoking. Between you and a few others, I hang on every word.
Thanks for the great sleuthing and keeping our wheels turning in hopes that the family of 3 is found!

JMO
Are you :hanging: on my posts, too?

:giggle:

signed,

IHAVENOCLUE

Well MKH's mother does not know who the heck DG is:

I would say if the half-ton vehicle remained at the accident scene and MKH's mother says she does not know of DG, DG wasn't involved in the accident that cause MKH's death.

Well I was the one that first posted that link about the interview with MKH's mother in a nursing home so I'm well aware of it, and I already posted above that she didn't and doesn't have to know DG even if DG was the driver causing her son's death.

Once again that traumatizing "horrific car crash" DG caused seems to have had a significant, possibly decisive, impact on his life. What does "horrific" mean in that case? Fatal or near fatal? I tend to think it's fatal.

Article from July 7th , I guess .
I just found an article from the Calgary Sun (the date says that it is from June 7th) that says that
Nathan’s father, Rod O’Brien, told the Sun a reward consisting of a “large sum” would be announced Wednesday in relation to the search for his family. The amount could exceed $100,000.
Is this a new indication that there will be an award out for the missing family? Or is it, as I suspect, the case that the website has partially updated some information without removing the "old" news about the reward. The reason that I bring this up is because the article title "large reward to be announced" makes it seems like it is a new development on the July 7th. It is a good principle to keep in mind when sleuthing.

Great sleuthing so far everyone. The thread is moving so quickly I wouldn't be surprised if someone else has already brought this up before I post :p.

Here is the link.

http://www.theobserver.ca/2014/07/0...lgary-grandparents-and-young-boy-went-missing

Well I was the one that first posted that link about the interview with MKH's mother in a nursing home so I'm well aware of it, and I already posted above that she didn't and doesn't have to know DG even if DG was the driver causing her son's death.

Once again that traumatizing "horrific car crash" DG caused seems to have had a significant, possibly decisive, impact on his life. What does "horrific" mean in that case? Fatal or near fatal?

I think falling asleep at the wheel, and waking up causing a crash no matter the outcome would be pretty traumatizing. JMO

In that vein (completely wild speculation - got the idea elsewhere) - but I suppose it's possible that something tragic happened between the grandparents, and DG was called into help deal with it (given his past and the possibility that he just might 'owe a favour' from previous circumstances).

Here's the fixed Calgary Herald link:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/c...sappearances+Nathan+Brien/10001950/story.html

I recall reading it. Frankly I suspect a minor piece of bad wording or jumping to conclusions there. The camera probably doesn't show the truck "circling the neighborhood" because the vantage point only shows a small section of street, not the whole neighborhood.

It probably shows the truck appearing multiple times throughout the course of the night. That could just as easily mean the truck was there at 11pm, then did some runs to and from Airdrie, appearing again at 1 am, 3 am, etc. It all depends on how long between the sightings. A few minutes? Sure, then it probably was "circling the neighborhood". But longer gaps in between appearances could mean multiple visits to and from the house.

In one of the earlier threads CPS was quoted as wanting to talk with taxi drivers who were in the area. IMO taxi drivers are very observant and would have noticed a vehicle that was circling instead of going to a particular destination. If they were picking up they'd probably have a bit of a wait, and dropping off takes a while to complete the transaction and for the fare to actually leave the cab. It could be that people coming home from a late shift and taking an hour or so to relax before going to be would have noticed the same truck passing their home. And, if CCTV footage showed the same truck passing in front of the camera at different times, it might lead to the conclusion that the truck was circling the area.

Once again that traumatizing "horrific car crash" DG caused seems to have had a significant, possibly decisive, impact on his life. What does "horrific" mean in that case? Fatal or near fatal? I tend to think it's fatal.

There is nothing to substantiate this crash, that I am aware of, except DG 'placing blame' in the 2005 court transcripts.

I don't think one can safely assume anything DG said/says to be true without corroboration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper