Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry, i was referring to Nathan being the unexpected person

Thx ... I would expect that completely blew the time line and the plan.

If the family was upstairs in a bedroom when the suspect entered the home, I think there was no way out for them. If they were in any other part of the house, there was the front door, the side door, and the patio door. If they were on the lowest level or the top level, they were trapped.

DG may have entered the home by standing on one of the chairs on the front porch to climb onto the balcony over the garage and the balcony doors may have been unlocked.

There was no forced entry, but I don't think AL or KL would have let him enter their home, especially late at night.

moo

I can't imagine the killer(s) not looking over his shoulder while in the L's house carrying out the murders. To leave the hallway light on all night long, with a glass front door, would be very thoughtless. Considering the same person's (?)personal habits made him hang the hose back up on the rack after hosing down the walkway.
If he needed the light to carry out his attack, it doesn't make sense to me that a careful killer would choose to leave that front light left on. A back bedroom light left on all night would be less likely to attract attention to there being a strange truck in the driveway. A strange truck in the driveway, with no light left on would just indicate overnight company to any close friends on the block.
Something about the hallway light being left on has been niggling me.

I leave the light on by the front door every night....

Have you ever tried to paint in the daytime, with lights on? Lights in the daytime cast a lot of shadows. JMO but I don't think LE would rely on overhead lighting looking for evidence, they likely have their own system.

Not when LE first arrived on the scene. It would make perfect sense for them to turn on lights to do an initial assessment.

DG may have entered the home by standing on one of the chairs on the front porch to climb onto the balcony over the garage and the balcony doors may have been unlocked.

There was no forced entry, but I don't think AL or KL would have let him enter their home, especially late at night.

moo

It's probably possible to climb onto the balcony from the front porch by climbing onto the bottom railing ... but how would he know that door was open?
It's also possible that the person that answered the door was immediately stabbed.

Not when LE first arrived on the scene. It would make perfect sense for them to turn on lights to do an initial assessment.

I don't think that police would alter anything at the scene (not even lights) until after forensics had checked everything.

Have you ever tried to paint in the daytime, with lights on? Lights in the daytime cast a lot of shadows. JMO but I don't think LE would rely on overhead lighting looking for evidence, they likely have their own system.

Possibly not if they're trying to reconstruct a scene.

I wonder if LE took all of DG's shoes to check for blood? When DG saw his truck on the news, did he have time to dispose of his shoes before LE came calling?

I would imagine they took more than they needed. I am certain that when one is processed after being arrested for any crime of this nature, forensics takes all personal items as well as doing a full body assessment. Hairs and samples under nails are taken along with detail notes and photos of every scratch on the suspect. They are nothing if not thorough.

I think from earlier threads, it's the house to the left that's vacant? If ALS truck was in front of the garage, it may have given DG enough cover. If the side door is to the left, again a hidden spot.
If AL was down and DG stepped into the house, she may have called out to Al to check if everything was fine. At this point DG would have focused on her and NO with whom she was laying down with? ( while AL bled a bit onto the driveway)

It's right in the middle of the city ... I'm not sure he'd risk dumping bodies in a place that is frequented by the public.
Its also the site of the fire works display on July 1st where 100's gather...and as a side note for local LE here...they rarely have anything to do but pull people over for nothing. Nose creek closes at 11 pm...and god forbid you roll out of there at 11:03....you must be high being in the park past 11....and that must call for 3 cruisers to come and search your car for drugs....even though you have thoroughly explained you were drinking coffee, smoking cigs and writting music...with your guitar still in the back seat. LOL. Sorry...personal experience [emoji5] if DG grew up here....he knows all to well not to be in suspicious places...or really any place in airdrie past 11 pm... our mounties have to find some way to spend their time in this city as its usually quite quiet ;)

I guess the trouble I have with the "AL being lured out" theory is, Parkhill is a very quiet, friendly area much like mine - If two people are even having a quiet conversation outside it can be heard... given that it was a hot night and windows were probably open, a murder occurring would have alerted neighbours. Same goes with any type of dolly to move the victims. In this type of neighbourhood, ANY sound is noticed and in all reports the neighbours claim to have heard "nothing". The only thing that makes sense to me is for the victims and evidence to be disassembled, bagged and then moved. Seeing a bunch of garbage in the back of a truck wouldn't alert neighbours or other drivers on the road.

I do agree with what you are saying about neighbourhoods & on a normal summer night....you can hear everything...I know I love it because it feels so calm and peaceful...right away you notice if a car starts...or you can hear someone talking or a tv on if windows are open....
On this particular night tho...I remembered someone stating the conditions were quite different that night....So I went wayyyy back to the first thread because I knew it was very early in discussions....and hulamum *thank you!* made comment about that evening....see this post:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...algary-30-June-2014-1&p=10683671#post10683671

So although normally something may have been heard....I don't think it would have been as easy on the night in question....
I really wish it HAD been on that night.....maybe something would have been seen/noticed immediately.....

I'm just so sad about this whole thing....who would have thought 3 weeks on....just want them home for this family....I can't begin to imagine...the waiting .....the thoughts that would go through my head.....JMOO

I will not donate money to this cause. They have government aid available as well if they were financially strapped due to not being able to work, I am sure their employer has or will work something out as this is a high profile case. Imagine the public reactions if the O'Briens were not given extended leave without pay? Also too many shady type characters in this family and extended family. Moo
We've already been asked by the mods not to discuss this further.

Garland attended the University of Alberta for just over two years. He was in the Faculty of Science. In his third year, he transferred into the science undergraduate program for medical students. In October of that year he was expelled for cheating.

"A Postmedia News story from the drugs trial noted that the meth cook, as drug makers are called, had studied science at the University of Alberta but was expelled after being caught cheating."

http://o.canada.com/news/national/b...w-and-mental-health-concerns-documents-reveal

He was caught cheating in his third year, but he was probably cheating the entire time he was at the university. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if he cheated in high school as well.

He then had a meth lab. There are an awful lot of people that have meth labs that are not all that bright. Having a meth lab doesn't make Garland a chemistry mastermind, and cheating in a Bachelor of Science program doesn't make him a chemistry mastermind. I think that people are giving him an awful lot more credit than he deserves. Regarding appealing his employment benefits, I seem to recall that there was a technicality that was used to reverse the decision. That also doesn't make Garland a genius ... it tells me that he spent a lot of time tenaciously looking for any way to reverse the decision because he felt that even though he lied about who he was, he was cheated.

There was a violent struggle at the crime scene that left someone in medical distress. Handguns are banned, so this was most likely a violent knife murder where someone was mortally injured.

I've been thinking about the murder weapon and assuming AL and KL were awake (as violent struggle happened) I was thinking it couldn't be knife because if AL was fighting for his life with DG with knife wounds (you always hear on medical shows/crimes shows how hard it is to kill someone because people fight hard for their lives, and it's messy) a neighbor or someone would've heard KL scream or she could've ran out unless subdued. But then I question how could DG get her subdued? Threaten with a gun? I thought maybe gun with a silencer (maybe too many movies, do real criminals actually use silencers?) because I don't know, I think DG might be cowardly that way. I'm wondering about the weapon...

I've been thinking about the murder weapon and assuming AL and KL were awake (as violent struggle happened) I was thinking it couldn't be knife because if AL was fighting for his life with DG with knife wounds (you always hear on medical shows/crimes shows how hard it is to kill someone because people fight hard for their lives, and it's messy) a neighbor or someone would've heard KL scream or she could've ran out unless subdued. But then I question how could DG get her subdued? Threaten with a gun? I thought maybe gun with a silencer (maybe too many movies, do real criminals actually use silencers?) because I don't know, I think DG might be cowardly that way. I'm wondering about the weapon...

For this reason I'm thinking they would have to have been dealt with separately

A "like" wasn't enough for this, otto. I agree wholeheartedly. This case is all about money, from the estate sale on day one right on through the donations. JMO - I get such a terrible feeling from all of it.

I would feel differently if the family was directing any donations towards something specific that was special for Nathan - a bench in the courtyard at the hospital where he was born, a mural or new equipment for the school where he attended kindergarten, a scholarship in his hockey organization, an addition to his favourite neighborhood playground, etc.

I wonder everyday how Nathan's older brother, L, is doing. He is at such a tender age, turning 12 next month. I would gladly donate funds if I knew they would be going towards additional private counseling for L.

I agree totally, HulaMum!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member