Australia Australia - Jenny Cook, 29, Townsville, Qld, 19 Jan 2009

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Okay, now I am obsessing on that arm.. :rolleyes:

Not so much on *who* right now, but on *why* they'd move it, so her palm faced up and not down. Checking for pulse?

It has me baffled a bit too. Lividity takes a while doesn't it? So for her to have lividity in the palms she was moved quite a while after death but before rigor set in. I think I need a timeline to follow at what point this was most likely to happen.

http://www.exploreforensics.co.uk/rigor-mortis-and-lividity.html
It is worth noting that lividity begins to work through the deceased within thirty minutes of their heart stopping and can last up to twelve hours. Only up to the first six hours of death can lividity be altered by moving the body.

I'm confused about the lividity on her palms as well. My understanding of lividity is that it's post-mortem pooling of the blood in whatever part of the body is in contact with the underlying surface. If Jenny was kneeling forward with her palms on the ground for a time, vomiting blood (and you'd think with blood gushing from her wound also in that position - gravity and all) then rolled over to the position she was found in, how could lividity occur in her palms while she was still alive? Does that make sense?

I wish that diagram wasn't so blurry - can anyone make out how high it says that fence is?

Yes, you're right. Maybe MadDoc can help here because I'm not quite sure, but only from overhearing my Dad talking as he used to work on the Mortuary Train, that when Rigor Mortis begins, the body can spasm and he said that they had bodies that would seem to sit bolt upright which initially scared the shyte out of them. If she was on hands and knees then you'd expect lividity on the knees as well.

Not 100% but I think it says pairing fence height 1300mm
But that seems very low. I'm going to look for a better version

Re the board - I'd like to know whether it was there prior to her death, as corroborated by anyone other than her husband. Did she have visitors that may have seen it? Why was it there at all, if it was so heavy and cumbersome, ie - what purpose was it used or intended for, prior to being under Jenny? If it was not kept on the ground right where it was, usually, then where was it usually kept?

......questions that *ought* to have been asked and answered during police interviews.

It looks the size of a cementing mix board to me.
The house may have had some material left over after the build.
It could have been a piece of that - though it doesn't say how thick it is - what its made of - if its painted or raw - if it was clean or used... Masonite, chipboard or plasterboard.

RSBM I'm not 100% certain but I think it says 1300mm.

Not 100% but I think it says pairing fence height 1300mm
But that seems very low. I'm going to look for a better version

Is it a railing height measurement?

I tried to put it into a very simple draw program - made it a bit worse actually.

You can see the side fence that surrounds the property on the right hand side of the house. (link below)
The diagram of Jenny lying on the board says that the lot at the back of the fence is vacant land.
There is a neighbouring house on the right hand side.
So on which side of the house was she found?
On the left hand side? (looking at the house from the street)
44 Sheerwater - Property
Was there a balcony off the back of the house - it has a small gate to the left hand side.

1300mm isn't a super high fence. Bearing in mind that the knife wound was apparently1350mm from the Jenny's heels - it just seems a rather exposed spot to choose to commit suicide as it seems possible that neighbours or passers-by would surely see something fishy going on? Even if the knife wasn't visible, strange behaviour and the sheet over the head get-up would seem very odd imo.

i had this feeling right from the start that the location and the board were chosen to protect the investment (ie the house). I didn't think that would be a concern for her.

Ephedrine is a controlled substance because it can be used to manufacture illicit drugs. It's also contraindicated with some SNRI's. The toxicology results didn't show Mirtazipine, the antidepressant Jenny had been described. I don't have a MIMS now but Ephidrine is contraindicated with some SSNI's.

i had this feeling right from the start that the location and the board were chosen to protect the investment (ie the house). I didn't think that would be a concern for her.

Agreed! It goes with the comment PC made to Jenny's Mum about not wanting a ghost in the house.

Pic from googlemaps + approximate position of Jenny's body in red X (near the two plants marked on the police drawing, if I haven't botched it):

jenny1.jpg

Is it a railing height measurement?

I tried to put it into a very simple draw program - made it a bit worse actually.

You can see the side fence that surrounds the property on the right hand side of the house. (link below)
The diagram of Jenny lying on the board says that the lot at the back of the fence is vacant land.
There is a neighbouring house on the right hand side.
So on which side of the house was she found?
On the left hand side? (looking at the house from the street)
44 Sheerwater - Property
Was there a balcony off the back of the house - it has a small gate to the left hand side.

It has to be 1800mm. I found this. Mods, please remove if not OK to link.

http://www.realestateworld.com.au/real-estate/view/1264652.aspx

It looks like the front balcony is on the left and continues around that side. I was shocked by the pics in the media thread as to how open the land was in 2009!

Paul Cook gave evidence. In relation to the scene he stated that the plywood board had been left over from the construction of the house and he had not gotten around to disposing of it. He said it weighted between 10 and 20kg and was awkward to move as it was about 5 foot by 5 foot. He said he believed Ms Cook would have been able to move it. He could not recall who moved it after Ms Cook’s death but agreed that it was leaning against the fence when Mr and Ms Pullen visited. Some time later he disposed of it.
Info about the board from the inquest doc. Jenny's mum is also quoted as saying she saw the board up against the fence after her daughter's death, and that it was so heavy she couldn't move it and she doubted Jenny would have been able to either.

Just looking at the place, though, it doesn't seem like this couple would have a nice side-area all covered in white tiles or stones, and then leave a wacking 5x5ft bit of leftover plyboard lying around on it for what - 4 years? I reckon it wasn't always there.. and I also reckon anyone'd recall moving it there.

I have a bad lower back, and it's giving me hell this winter. No way could I lift something that heavy, I have to sit down for half an hour after lifting a washing basket full of *dry* laundry at the moment!

Detective Osborn comes off as being very incompetent in the inquest findings doc. - I just can't get over all the things she didn't do or investigate from the moment she set foot on the scene. Every time I read it something else jumps out at me - I think any of us would have probably done a better job if we'd been called in off the street!

Just looking at the place, though, it doesn't seem like this couple would have a nice side-area all covered in white tiles or stones, and then leave a wacking 5x5ft bit of leftover plyboard lying around on it for what - 4 years? I reckon it wasn't always there.. and I also reckon anyone'd recall moving it there.

I have a bad lower back, and it's giving me hell this winter. No way could I lift something that heavy, I have to sit down for half an hour after lifting a washing basket full of *dry* laundry at the moment!

I have REALLY long arms, some people call me SpiderMonkey. I just measured my armspan, fingers curled as if i were holding the wood and I would just be able to reach across a 5x5 piece of ply.

Okay - I just did one of my re-enactments. Lay down on the floor in approximate position of Jenny, arms and legs roughly the same. Palms down... I can see how blood could have settled at the lowest point of the hands if both her hands were facing down and resting on the ground when the blood settled and fixed. If someone rotated one of her hands/wrists to a palm-up position before rigor made that impossible, then the lividity would show it (as it indeed did..).

What's got me stumped now is, they say it's her right hand that's been turned over so it's palm up. But it's much easier to turn the left with my arms in that position... I can't imagine rigor causing a limb to rotate 180 degrees, either (could be wrong there).

Anyone else up for giving it a go?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missing wonder
Back