CANADA Canada - Toronto Crimes Discussion

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wow just saw this on Facebook, I can't get the video to load and no other source reporting it yet...not sure what to make of this.
Stunning new developments in the 29-year-old case of missing girl Nicole Morin: "Things we're looking into make me believe there is a good possibility we could find her," Toronto Police tell Avery Haines.
Watch LIVE on City at 5 & 6 pm, CityNews.ca/live

Welcome to Ws. TheZodiac, thanks for posting that tip about new info !

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10637906&highlight=nicole+morin#post10637906

Here is new video link!

http://www.citynews.ca/2014/07/03/inside-story-extra-police-update-nicole-morins-disappearance/

And the one with Nicole's father..

http://www.citynews.ca/2014/07/03/t...emerge-in-1985-disappearance-of-nicole-morin/

●At about 11:15 p.m. on Tuesday, May 15th, 1973, 26-year-old Adele Komorowski, a graduate student at McMaster University in Hamilton, 60 km southwest of Toronto, was grabbed at the front door of her campus residence and dragged 450 feet into a nearby ravine in Hamilton Botanical Gardens. A fellow female student who lived on the third floor of the same complex heard screams and looked out her window to witness a man dragging a woman toward the ravine. Police were called, arrived promptly, and found Komorowski's body mere minutes after her murder. She had been strangled with a piece of rope. Though the victim had been stripped to the waist, she had not been raped, likely because her killer was scared off before he could effect his sexual designs. Police with tracking dogs immediately began combing the secluded trails of Coote's Paradise marsh, which borders the university campus.
No further information, but the murder remained unsolved in the middle of September, when it was last written about in the paper.

●When firefighters responded to a call at 7089 Yonge St., just north of Toronto city limits, at 5 a.m. on Monday, September 21st, 1987, they found the body of 58-year-old Francesco Califano in the second-floor office of his business, Compupronto Mortgage Services. Califano, who was married and resided on Beecroft Rd., had been stabbed seven times and then his body and part of his office had been set aflame with an accelerant.
No additional information.

●At 4:25 a.m. on Sunday, March 19th, 1961, two young men driving along 9th Concession (Hwy 5) west of Myrtle, 40 km northeast of Toronto, found the body of 24-year-old Alice Margaret McCausland lying beside the road. She had been strangled. The woman's fur coat, shoes, and scarf, which witnesses later attested to having seen her wearing, had been removed from her body and were missing. Police were confronted with difficulties from the start, because it was not known exactly who the woman was, whether her name was actually Alice Margaret McCausland, and where she lived, though they quickly learned she rented a room on Berkeley St. Fingerprints revealed that the dead woman was convicted a month before her death of minor theft and given a suspended sentence. Records from her court appearance indicated she was born in Timmins, Ontario. Alice's mother came forward in short order and revealed that, sadly, her daughter suffered from Huntington's disease, a degenerative illness that causes the sufferer to lose control of movement and bodily functions. Alice had married five years earlier, but was now separated, and she and her husband had two daughters.
The pathologist found substantial bruising and fingernail marks and scratches on McCausland's neck, and he concluded she had eaten about half-an-hour before her death. The victim's body had been dumped on the secluded road within an hour before it was discovered, and the killer was fortunate to avoid being spotted by a patrolling Ontario Provincial Police constable and two men, all three of whom drove past the crime scene shortly before and after the dumping.
Further investigation led police to search for a man driving a red and white car. The victim was last seen getting into the man's car outside a Parliament St. restaurant around 1:30 a.m., three hours before her body was found.
No further information available.

●On Sunday, November 15th, 1981, Metro taxi driver Peter Gamoulakos, 37, was found strangled to death in his cab, which was parked near Miranda and Schell Aves in the vicinity of Dufferin St. and Eglinton Ave. W. Police were led to believe he had been murdered Saturday morning. A passerby on Sunday noticed Gamoulakos's body slumped over in the car and called police. The car was parked inconspicuously, which may explain why Gamoulakos wasn't found earlier. The keys were in the ignition but the engine was off. The deceased had close to $200 in his pocket, meaning either the killer panicked and fled or harboured a motive other than robbery.

●Shortly before noon on Wednesday, July 30th, 1982: An unnamed 23-year-old woman was sunbathing on a grassy hill in the northwest corner of High Park, just across from her apartment building on Bloor St. W., when she was dragged into some nearby shrubbery, bludgeoned with a brick and a fist-sized rock, and raped. The area would have been fairly busy, and police speculated that either the victim's cries were ignored by passersby or they blended in with the joyous screams of children playing in a nearby playground. After the attack, the woman stumbled wounded along Bloor St. W. where, by happenstance, she ran into a friend who was on her way to joining her sunbathing.
The victim was taken to Toronto General Hospital where she lapsed into a coma. Doctors were unsure she would recover from the severe head wounds. The victim remained comatose for more than two weeks before slowly beginning to recover. She was able to describe her attacker as a light-skinned black man with dreadlocks, mid-to late-20s, 5'5" - 5'7", medium build with muscular shoulders, dark eyes, a thin nose and lips, a very clear complexion, even, white teeth, and wearing light-coloured clothing that smelled of smoke. A composite sketch was drawn and circulated.

Rbbm.

Just found this article from 2013 concerning possibility US serial killer is responsible for Adele's murder. Also there is a thread here for that poi, with same lengthy article...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...e-key-to-solving-hamilton-cold-case-1.1302041

"The map in Robert Garrow's orange Volkswagen had 27 dots on it.

Inspector Henry McCabe found the document in Garrow's abandoned car. It was 1973 and summer had come to the Adirondacks. McCabe, a detective with the New York State Police, was part of the 200-person manhunt combing the scenic mountains for Garrow, who had just savagely murdered a rope-bound camper.

Garrow would become the state's most infamous serial killer, charged with the death of four people and suspected of many more murders and rapes.

McCabe held onto the map along with other evidence from the car. The map would become a tantalizing clue that McCabe and other investigators on the case believe points to where dozens of Garrow's victims met their end.

Almost all the dots on the map were clustered in New York State. But Garrow had placed one dot four hours away by car — in Hamilton, Ont.
Adele Komorowski

On May 15, 1973 — two months before McCabe discovered that map — the body of 26-year-old McMaster student Adele Komorowski was found in the woods behind Brandon Hall, a Mac residence.

She had been strangled, her body arched back from the tension on a length of half-inch jute rope expertly tied from her wrists and deeply embedded into her neck. Investigators think the killer had used the rope as a handle to drag Komorowski off the wooded path.

When McMaster security guards found her, she was naked from the waist up, her jeans pulled partially down, as though her killer had been interrupted in his crime. That killer was never found despite years of dogged investigation by Hamilton detectives.

Now Jim Tracy, a New York State author and an expert on the Garrow case, thinks Komorowski was one of the serial killer's victims.
Garrow connection

Jim Tracy, a New York State author and an expert on the Robert Garrow case, thinks Adele Komorowski was one of the serial killer's victims. (Courtesy Jim Tracy)

How Tracy connected Garrow to Komorowski..."

I think that the suspect in the 1982 attack was considered a possibility in the murder of Christine Prince. There seem to be some similarities in the MO, aside from the kidnapping and going from place to place, obviously. This attack also took place in roughly the same area of the city as Prince was living at the time.

From what I remember, I don't think this individual was ever caught, and was one of a number of unsolved attacks on women in 1982.

I think that the suspect in the 1982 attack was considered a possibility in the murder of Christine Prince. There seem to be some similarities in the MO, aside from the kidnapping and going from place to place, obviously. This attack also took place in roughly the same area of the city as Prince was living at the time.

From what I remember, I don't think this individual was ever caught, and was one of a number of unsolved attacks on women in 1982.

Nice to " see " you Darkblue, thanks for that interesting tidbit!
There does not seem to be any recent articles about Christine Prince, so posting this one from 2011.
It would be interesting to see pics of C's stolen jewellery, it might even be back on the market, or in the back of someone's drawer..
Why take a cheap instant camera?

bbm

http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2011/02/26/17421486.html

"It is now almost 30 years since Christine's killer or killers committed their evil deed. Missing from Christine's body was a distinctive gold ring with two hearts joined together and a gold coloured watch.

Christine's clothing had been strewn about the area. When investigators found her purse, a Kodak instant camera was missing.

In discussing the case with both the local behavioural science experts and the FBI in Quantico, Va., I was told that items removed from victims are often given to girlfriends, wives, and even mothers.

I am asking the public to search their memories. Did anyone receive an unexpected gift of a ring, a watch or a Kodak Instamatic camera?

It is a lot to expect after 30 years, but it is possible"

Rsbm

Just wanted to bump this case, from CrimeSolver's, post 27 , hoping to find more info...
bbm

"●26-year-old American Alison Thomas disappeared after leaving a dinner party on Hillsdale Ave. in the Yonge St. and Eglinton Ave. vicinity on September 29th, 1978. The young woman, who had spent the previous 9 years in Paris and was staying in Toronto with her brother before moving to Montreal to start a new job, had attended the dinner party with three male friends. They later stated Alison left around midnight with the intention of catching a cab on Yonge St. She was never seen again.
There is some question as to whether Thomas met foul play or disappeared voluntarily. Her boyfriend of two weeks said she didn’t know where she fit in, and might have taken off to “find herself”

Nice to see you too, dotr! And Chorley8, who faithfully thanks me for my posts. I am grateful! =-)

I don't have a newspaper article or something to corroborate my statement above, but I do remember reading it somewhere.

Also, the case mentioned above occurred in the same year, 1978, as Debbie Silverman, who was found slain in the Sunderland area, after being kidnapped from North York.

I've always felt that the Silverman and Prince cases were very similar, and were only 4 years apart.

Peter Worthington suggested Olsen might be responsible for Debbie Silverman's murder..
This is an article from 2012, must have missed it at the time. Wonder what the " evidence" might be?

http://www.interlaketoday.ca/2012/1...-greater-understanding-of-serial-killers-mind
bbm.

"50 of his 71 years were spent in prison — Olson is judged to have averaged up to five thefts or robberies a day, a sexual assault every day, a murder a month.

He literally raced across the continent stealing and scamming and maybe killing.

There’s evidence he might have been involved in the unsolved Toronto murder of Debbie Silverman in 1978.

Even in death, Olson is worth studying by criminologists, psychiatrists, even journalists.

The more we know about serial killers, the better protection we have from them".

From CrimeSolver's post #40

"At about 5 a.m. on Saturday, August 12th, 1978, 21-year-old Debbie Silverman was abducted in the hallway of her apartment building at 4854 Bathurst St. near Finch Ave. W. She had just come home from a night out with friends and was entering her apartment building when the abductor struck. Some of her belongings were found strewn in the hallway.
Silverman’s body was found on November 12th, 1978 in a shallow grave near Sunderland, Ontario, about 80 km northeast of Toronto.
There is a $50,000 reward in this case:
http://www.opp.ca/Intranetdev/groups/public/documents/investigative/opp_000964.pdf
http://www.drps.ca/internet_explorer/whatsnew/unsolvedcases_view.asp?ID=49"

From what I understand, Olsen's claims have been discredited. I would need to see some strong evidence that this guy was responsible, beyond the nonsensical ramblings and stories that would come from him.

I would want some evidence that he was in Ontario in 1978.
BTW, there was relatively little in the news of the day when Silverman was murdered. Even the cause of death was reported to be either a gunshot, or strangling, it was never clear.

From what I understand, Olsen's claims have been discredited. I would need to see some strong evidence that this guy was responsible, beyond the nonsensical ramblings and stories that would come from him.

I would want some evidence that he was in Ontario in 1978.
BTW, there was relatively little in the news of the day when Silverman was murdered. Even the cause of death was reported to be either a gunshot, or strangling, it was never clear.

Christine Prince: http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2011/02/26/17421486.html

I wonder:

1. Why take her to a lovers lane frequented by young people? Doesn't make sense.

2. So she makes it home to 66 Pinewood and is kidnapped there. If two men are trolling randomly for a woman as suggested they odds are against the kidnapping happening right at her house.

3. Christine Prince reminds me of Mariam Makhhiashvili just generally. Oddly someone from 66 Pinewood had access to 740 Eglinton across from the school in 2009 knowing somebody whose name is also Mariam. I have to be vague sorry.

4. The nanny's host was a lawyer or judge (now a judge) so I am sure the passing men in a car theory came up fast.

5. A ring a watch a kodak instamatic camera missing. Was the camera one more trophy or was someone on the camera film and they needed it.

Hi Chorley8,

Just a few points;

1. Why not? The area is desolate at night, and even though lovers go there, it doesn't mean that it is packed 24/7.

2. It could mean she was stalked, but it could be random. She was close to home, but hadn't quite made it there. Her umbrella was found outside #18.

3. I don't quite understand this statement. Perhaps there is something from the Makhniashvili case I am missing that connects to this one? Please elaborate :please:

4. I am not clear on this, either. Do you think that she was kidnapped because someone thought that they were getting at the relative of the lawyer?

5. This could very much be the case. The camera could be a trophy, or could contain an image of someone or something that the killer(s) wanted.

Hi Chorley8,

Just a few points;

1. Why not? The area is desolate at night, and even though lovers go there, it doesn't mean that it is packed 24/7.

2. It could mean she was stalked, but it could be random. She was close to home, but hadn't quite made it there. Her umbrella was found outside #18.

3. I don't quite understand this statement. Perhaps there is something from the Makhniashvili case I am missing that connects to this one? Please elaborate :please:

4. I am not clear on this, either. Do you think that she was kidnapped because someone thought that they were getting at the relative of the lawyer?

5. This could very much be the case. The camera could be a trophy, or could contain an image of someone or something that the killer(s) wanted.

Thanks for the correction about the location of the umbrella. Still not sure about the location of where she was found. I wonder what the method of attack means if anything? Cause of death was drowning though presumably or maybe she was u.c at that point. Lawyer: well we know nothing about the lawyer in the broad sense and who C. could have met through working for the family e.g. did they have parties etc.

It could explain why it isn't solved if they never looked there. Mariam: sorry can't explain better on the site here.

What I have always thought is that the story about returning the keys sounds fishy. I doubted it was a random act. The sentence in the recently linked article saying that the poor fellow who overdosed (the one whose keys were taken by mistake) 'had always cooperated with police' is the first inkling that (no surprise I guess but again first sign of this int.) that the investigators had thought through this. Which would mean back to the random theory. But have trouble getting my head around that in this case.

We don't know how many people were at the party and if anyone could have set this up, say someone peripheral, an invitee. But maybe it was all close friends and they are cleared so....back to random (?).

Could it have been planned but coincidental at the same time?? Let me explain.

A gunman waits outside in the shadows. He knows that it will be a late night and his targets will be out eventually, but not so soon.

However, he needs the washroom, or to get a cold drink, or food, or some cigarettes. Or he gets distracted by his cellphone. Guessing that the party will go on longer than it really did, he stops paying attention.

This gives the trio a chance to leave, then turn around and come back. That coincidence, coupled with the gunman's inattentiveness, might have made it seem like a random occurence. However, he unfortunately resumes watchful waiting in the nick of time.

Could it have been planned but coincidental at the same time?? Let me explain.

A gunman waits outside in the shadows. He knows that it will be a late night and his targets will be out eventually, but not so soon.

However, he needs the washroom, or to get a cold drink, or food, or some cigarettes. Or he gets distracted by his cellphone. Guessing that the party will go on longer than it really did, he stops paying attention.

This gives the trio a chance to leave, then turn around and come back. That coincidence, coupled with the gunman's inattentiveness, might have made it seem like a random occurence. However, he unfortunately resumes watchful waiting in the nick of time.

Well sure and your general point is valuable too - worth thinking of alternative explanations to someone just coming up and blasting shots into a car when they didn't even know they would be there....

The random does happen I admit - I remember e.g. someone cutting someone's throat on the TTC for no reason - the guy killed in the well-walked alley beside Remy's in Yorkville (Crimesolver was that solved I don't think so) MAYBE years agos Mariam Peters, maybe - but I doubt it in this case but have nothing concrete.

Well sure and your general point is valuable too - worth thinking of alternative explanations to someone just coming up and blasting shots into a car when they didn't even know they would be there....

The random does happen I admit - I remember e.g. someone cutting someone's throat on the TTC for no reason - the guy killed in the well-walked alley beside Remy's in Yorkville (Crimesolver was that solved I don't think so) MAYBE years agos Mariam Peters, maybe - but I doubt it in this case but have nothing concrete.

rbbm.

If you are referring to this completely senseless, souless murder, then yes, it has been solved..

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/teens-plead-guilty-to-yorkville-stabbing-1.272469

I also wonder if there were any direct eyewitnesses who have not yet come forward.

It is strange that no surveillance cameras picked up anything at all of value in the area.

To catch a Killer is on OWN tonight & they are covering the unsolved murder of Margaret McWilliam.

They have uncovered a possible poi, a violent sexual deviant from CT that crossed the Canadian border 5 days prior to Margaret's murder & may have been in the neighborhood of Warden Woods that day...they blocked out his name and face.

A criminal profiler told them it has to be someone familiar with the park. I think they have dropped the CT guy due to this info,

They just ruled out Paul Bernardo.

Now they're exploring the shoe print. The shoe is a knock of air jordon 2.

The hat on the guy in the sketch tells them its probably a person interested in hip hop and that particular culture. But the shoe is more generic.

They found a guy that worked in a neighborhood bar that recognizes the pic of the guy in the sketch and says his name is chuck and he came in the bar often.

Commercial.

The got their hands on the actual crime file...the crime is more grisly then they thought.

She was attacked on the path, no soil on her clothes no drag marks no mud.

Her body was found face up with only her socks on.

She was raped from the front.

COD Legiture strangulation with her own sweater tied in a granny knot.

(I missed something about the shoe/print here...)

The offender stood on her and reefed on the sleeve until she was dead.

There is no question this killer struck again.

Where are they now?

They are starting fresh looking at other violent rapes in the same area going back 10 years....

They see warden woods was a killing ground.

They found a victim in her 30's found near warden avenue.

Commercial

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back