GUILTY NH - AH, 14, North Conway, 9 October 2013 - #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
RSBM --

I agree, but when people say that they are entitled to information, it's basically the same thing as saying that they are owed it.

People want to know because a CRIME occurred and it is a matter of justice and public safety. Will this happen again? Will someone else's daughter go missing for 9 months?

<modsnip>

<modsnip>

Children in every community are at risk. It's a parents job to remain diligent.
The world is full of predators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People want to know because a CRIME occurred and it is a matter of justice and public safety. Will this happen again? Will someone else's daughter go missing for 9 months?

Exactly. If a crime occurred, then we are owed and we are entitled to information about that crime. Crimes are not secret, family matters. They are not protected under a cloak of privacy. They are public matters that the public gets together (through its agencies) to investigate, prosecute, and punish.

I cannot believe how cavalier so many people here are about saying that what very well could be the kidnapping and holding a child for nine months is something that should be "private!"

<modsnip>

Obviously, there is a general risk to every person at all times for all sorts of crimes. But, here's the deal: an abduction by a stranger is an extremely rare event. It is so rare, in fact, that an abduction of a child is always a huge deal and there is always a massive public interest. All I am saying, is that if LE has enough information, then it would professional of them to put the public's mind at ease.

Not all cases are created equal. When a child disappears, there will be a huge public interest. For that reason alone, it is unprofessional for LE to not have addressed the public in some way pertaining to this case other than a very cryptic (and poorly written) press release about anyone seeing anyone in those clothes. They have, by their own doing and by their own silence, made a bad situation even worse.

You know, maybe they haven't even really tried to talk to Abby yet. POWs go through a pretty extensive reintegration process when they come home. If they're working with psychologists or other mental health professionals, they may have been told not to try to hard to get answers so soon if she's traumatized.

Look how long Bowe Bergdahl went without even contacting his parents after he got home.

I think they don't know enough to make a statement like that yet. Seems like they are currently in the dark about a lot of important information. They need some time.

Then they should come out and say that.

We do not yet know what the circumstances are here. It's possible that no crime was committed (unless, perhaps, running away is a crime). If, perhaps, she was living with another minor alone, there may also be no crime (unless, perhaps, a 14/15 year old living with another 14/15 year old is somehow a crime). We just don't know. If it turns out that there is someone guilty of a crime, which is entirely possible (and more probable than the alternative) we will of course find out. But if she was living voluntarily with another minor, we may never find out who was responsible, should the court decide to protect that person's identity.

<modsnip>

True enough. But if it is the guy next door, someone you currently trust around your family, wouldn't you want to know? Whoever it is (assuming there is a predator) he is some unsuspecting family's neighbor. Jmo

You know, maybe they haven't even really tried to talk to Abby yet. POWs go through a pretty extensive reintegration process when they come home. If they're working with psychologists or other mental health professionals, they may have been told not to try to hard to get answers so soon if she's traumatized.

Look how long Bowe Bergdahl went without even contacting his parents after he got home.

Then they should come out and say that. Look, I am not a speech writer or a PR person, but this seems relatively simple. You just need to give the public a brief press conference stating that at this time they have not been able to get all the info they need from Abby, but that they are relatively confident that there is not a predator still out there snatching girls off the street (or something to that effect). Their silence three days later is just making them look incompetent.

Then they should come out and say that.

I believe they did when they said that nothing further would be released until something was known. I didn't read the whole release and missed that. Someone in the last thread pointed it out.

ALWAYS MOO

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Obviously, there is a general risk to every person at all times for all sorts of crimes. But, here's the deal: an abduction by a stranger is an extremely rare event. It is so rare, in fact, that an abduction of a child is always a huge deal and there is always a massive public interest. All I am saying, is that if LE has enough information, then it would professional of them to put the public's mind at ease.

Not all cases are created equal. When a child disappears, there will be a huge public interest. For that reason alone, it is unprofessional for LE to not have addressed the public in some way pertaining to this case other than a very cryptic (and poorly written) press release about anyone seeing anyone in those clothes. They have, by their own doing and by their own silence, made a bad situation even worse.

I couldn't disagree more.

Without a named suspect or arrest we have no idea if it was a stranger abduction or not.
It seems law enforcement does not have answers THEY want.

There is nothing for them to say at this point.

The situation is better now.
She's alive.
She's safe.

Apparently that's all "we" need to know now. Law enforcement is asking for HELP. They want & need answers too.

Here is their phone number : 207-935-3268 Call and ask.

Event Exhibitors

Contacts:

Agriculture Exposition Hall - Ann-Michele Ames

Craft & Specialty Foods - Jean Andrews

Independent Commercial Vendors - Dave Gould

Independent Expo Vendors - Jim Dutton

Independent Midway Vendors - Dean Baker

http://www.eventsinamerica.com/even...-maine-s-blue-ribbon-classic/ev4cc0657c0332f/

I would be interested to see the list of organizations that had booths at the Fryeburg Fair...

True enough. But if it is the guy next door, someone you currently trust around your family, wouldn't you want to know? Whoever it is (assuming there is a predator) he is some unsuspecting family's neighbor. Jmo

IMO there ARE sex offenders in every neighborhood.

Then they should come out and say that. Look, I am not a speech writer or a PR person, but this seems relatively simple. You just need to give the public a brief press conference stating that at this time they have not been able to get all the info they need from Abby, but that they are relatively confident that there is not a predator still out there snatching girls off the street (or something to that effect). Their silence three days later is just making them look incompetent.

If she is under the care of mental health professionals and they are recommending she not yet be questioned, LE probably cannot say that due to privacy (HIPAA) laws. So they've said there will be no further comment on what happened until they have the full story and continue to ask the public for information.

My other issue is that being a diligent parent is perfectly compatible with letting a 15 year-old walk home alone, or go out with some friends by herself after school, etc. If I had a 15 year-old daughter, I would want to know if there was a seriously heightened risk in my area. If so, then I would modify the things that are reasonable to let a 15 year-old do.

I would urge you to be very careful about your daughter out, walking about alone. It's always better to travel in groups. IMO

smiley-whistle_zps510f2ae6.gif

Enough! This debate is going around in circles.

:trainwreck:

The thread will be closed until further notice.

Update from the Bring Abby Home page:

Abby is Safe. Thank you!!

Abby is safely home with her mom and sister!!

We want to thank everyone for their continued support for the Hernandez family as they recover and rest from this long ordeal.

Many people have been requesting specific answers and details as to exactly what happened to Abby. While we appreciate the desire for answers, this is still very much an ongoing law enforcement investigation and no details can be released that could jeopardize the integrity of their work.

During the last 9 months we have fully supported and taken direction from Law Enforcement on ways to proceed that were in the best interest of Abby’s safety and return to her family. Abby being reunited with her family on Sunday is a testament to us that this process has worked and continue to believe they are acting in Abby’s best interests. As we receive more information from them, we will share it as soon as we can.

We thank you for your patience. -Amanda and Paul

http://www.bringabbyhome.com/

Sketch released in Abby Hernandez case

Officials say man picked her up on day she disappeared

The Attorney General's Office said the man drove Abby Hernandez, then 14, away from Conway on Oct. 9. They said he was driving a navy blue pickup truck on North South Road between 2:20 and 3 p.m. that day. <snip>

Officials said Abby described the man as having darkish skin, dark brown eyes, black stubble facial hair and a large build. They said he was slightly overweight and slightly taller than she was, at 5 feet 4 inches tall.

http://www.wmur.com/news/sketch-released-in-abby-hernandez-case/27135036#!blnGnr

UPDATED 6:14 PM EDT Jul 24, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member