GUILTY CA - Annie Hung 'Kim' Pham, 23, dies from beating outside Santa Ana nightclub

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think it is unfortunate and a little insensitive that the Crosby has relaunched as the North Left with a huge fanfare, the same week Kim's murder trial gets underway. It just doesn't do the owners (who are the same people) any favors, in my opinion.

I wonder if their security's improved any, or do people still risk getting kicked to death waiting in line outside their door?

http://www.ocweekly.com/2014-07-10/food/north-left-santa-ana-aron-habiger/

From the article:

"Detective Leo Rodriguez admitted that the police department couldn't find the video because they initially believed that they already had a copy and because the man who shot the video was briefly visiting Santa Ana. By the time SAPD realized they had never acquired the video, they were left with no leads to find it."

Dang cops screw up again.

Remember, we need a link to post facts.

Thanks,

Salem

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/zavala-629191-pham-brito.html

Zavala testified she tried to kick a man she didn’t know at the time, but now knows as Binh Dinh, who testified earlier in the case. Zavala said she kicked at Dinh during a chaotic fight because she thought he was going after her friend, Emilia Calderon.

On cross-examination, Deputy District Attorney Troy Pino suggested Zavala’s story was a lie concocted to explain a video that shows her kicking someone.

Pino questioned why Zavala never told the story to Santa Ana police detectives who questioned her about 48 hours after the fight, while Pham lay barely alive in a hospital. An audio recording of that interview was played to the jury Thursday morning. In that interview, Zavala repeatedly denied kicking Pham, but didn’t mention kicking someone else – even when police repeatedly asked her to explain why her account didn’t match the kick seen in an eyewitness video.

I'm praying for justice but worried. I actually have been so busy I missed that trial started!! Apparently, these two did not give up their speedy trial rights, which is unusual. Their attorneys must be good and confident, which worries me.

Just received this text alert:

KFIAM640: Two women convicted of voluntary manslaughter and assault for fatally beating 23-year-old Kim Pham outside a Santa Ana nightclub. www.kfiam640.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just received this text alert:

KFIAM640: Two women convicted of voluntary manslaughter and assault for fatally beating 23-year-old Kim Pham outside a Santa Ana nightclub. www.kfiam640.com

Thank you. I'm satisfied with the verdict. Because it seems to fit:
You come home from work, only to find your wife in bed with another man. In a sudden burst of rage, you kill them both. Despite the fact that this sounds like murder, it's probably not. Under California law, it's more likely to constitute voluntary manslaughter.
California's voluntary manslaughter laws apply to killings that you commit

1. during a sudden quarrel, or
  2. in the heat of passion.[SUP]1[/SUP]
Prosecutors rarely file Penal Code 192 (a) voluntary manslaughter as a separate charge. The offense usually comes up in murder cases, where the accused admits to killing the victim, but seeks have the charge reduced from murder to manslaughter.
If the charge is reduced to manslaughter, the defendant faces a maximum of 11 years in prison. With murder, by contrast, he faces a potential life sentence...or sometimes even execution. http://www.shouselaw.com/voluntary_manslaughter.html

I'm glad they were convicted. People need to learn to control their rage. If just one of the guilty women had tried to diffuse the situation, there might have been a different outcome.

Women found guilty in fatal Santa Ana nightclub beating - LA Times

(snip)

Vanese Zavala and Candace Brito were both convicted of felony manslaughter but acquitted on far more serious second-degree murder charges.

Several jurors cried openly as the verdicts were read.

Slideshow & More@Link

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-nightclub-beating-20140724-story.html

'After the defendants were lead away, prosecutor Troy Pino became emotional when saying the lesson of the case should be to just “walk away” when things escalate while drinking.

“Don’t get offended, walk away. Just walk away. … You have one young woman who is dead,” Pino said, tearing up. “And two young women who have been convicted of a homicide. Nobody wins.” '

http://ktla.com/2014/07/24/verdict-...2-women-accused-in-beating-death-of-kim-pham/

OC nightclub beating verdict

2enehegy.jpg

:rose:
:candle:

(image from article credit: Justice for Kim Pham)

http://m.kfiam640.com/articles/local-news-465708/oc-nightclub-beating-verdict-12601472/

Sent from my iPhone

Well, at least Zavala and Brito didn't walk. Any idea how much of prison time they will actually serve? I don't think these two have prior convictions, plus they both have young children. That could work in their favor. The judge probably won't give them the maximum sentence of 11 years. Maybe 5 years, and out in 3 with good behavior, etc?

The sentencing will take place on Sept. 12. They were both charged with and additional assault charge in addition to the manslaughter charge. That should add on a a few years to the 3-11 years for manslaughter. This was a sad case for all involved.

Here's the official update via the family's #Justice4KimPham Facebook page:

Justice for Kim Pham
Sep 11 ·
Dear Everyone,

The sentencing for Kim's case that was going to happen tomorrow, Friday September 12 is going to be postponed. The defendants' lawyers asked for more time and it was granted by the judge. No words on when it will be but we will keep everyone updated. Once again feeling sad and disappointed, we will continue to keep our heads held up high. Stay strong. Be strong. Thank you for all the prayers and thoughts.

*Love* Always and Forever,

Phamily

P.S. On the positive note, we can still send in the victim impact statement. Kim needs you... Message me the letter or send it through the PO Box. Thank you so much for all the letters we have received so far! It is all very touching. God bless you all!
KN
(Redacted)

{{{{{{Click link to access timeline & post dated
9/11/2014}}}}}}}

https://facebook.com/justiceforkimpham?v=timeline&filter=1&refid=17

#Justice4KimPham

Thanks Kimi. I did check that Facebook page right after I posted my message #139! Typical mumbo jumbo tactics by defense lawyers... soaking it for as long as they can. But I guess this case is now not important enough for the news outlets to keep up with!

Thanks Kimi. I did check that Facebook page right after I posted my message #139! Typical mumbo jumbo tactics by defense lawyers... soaking it for as long as they can. But I guess this case is now not important enough for the news outlets to keep up with!

I agree, it's really sad most of the updates stopped back in July. I suppose I will have to keep up with this here or via the family's fb page. It just seems really odd they didn't set a new date in court. I hope these two women get the max!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raine73
Back