Identified! NY - Harlem, BlkMale 1609UMNY, 20-30, USMC Tattoo, Jun'97 Leroy Bernard Matthews

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes, Wanting2Help and i have reached out to all of these and no one recognizes him. We have researched him extensively.

Has anyone posted him on Leatherneck.com? I didn't see one on there.

Also, what about contacting this group? http://www.miap.us/About_Us.html

I'm happy to do it if no one has. I just didn't want to reinvent the wheel here. :)

Has anyone posted him on Leatherneck.com? I didn't see one on there.

Also, what about contacting this group? http://www.miap.us/About_Us.html

I'm happy to do it if no one has. I just didn't want to reinvent the wheel here. :)
I posted on Force Recon websites. Wanting2Help may have done the other. I don't remember now. What i do remember those guys telling me is that there weren't many African American Force Recon Marines, so they were surprised that no one on their board recognized him.
Wanting2Help also contacted the Marines directly and they couldn't identify him either. They sent his pic to several places. It's just unbelievable that they haven't figured this out yet.

I posted on Force Recon websites. Wanting2Help may have done the other. I don't remember now. What i do remember those guys telling me is that there weren't many African American Force Recon Marines, so they were surprised that no one on their board recognized him.
Wanting2Help also contacted the Marines directly and they couldn't identify him either. They sent his pic to several places. It's just unbelievable that they haven't figured this out yet.

So it sounds like he was not a force recon. Very helpful info. I wonder if he was in the service at all or if the ink was for a relative that may have served before him

http://riponadvance.com/news/bill-reform-handling-unidentified-fallen-veterans/7303

Legislation recently introduced by Rep. Bill Shuster (R-Pa.) would require the secretary of veterans affairs to study how the unclaimed remains of veterans are identified, processed and stored.

The unclaimed remains of an estimated 47,000 veterans are currently in storage in the United States, according to the Missing in America Project. The nonprofit organization works to locate and identify missing remains, but its work has been slowed by a patchwork of state laws that govern who may take custody of unidentified veterans and leads to remains staying in storage indefinitely, sometimes for decades.

“Our veterans put their lives on the line to bravely protect our country, and we owe them a debt of gratitude for their service,” Shuster said. “When they pass away, they should be treated with the proper respect, but unfortunately the remains of thousands of veterans are currently lying unclaimed in facilities across the country. It is crucial for Congress to address this issue and examine how we can improve the VA process for dealing with these remains. Our brave men and women fought for our freedom, and they should be laid to rest with the appropriate military honors that they deserve.”

Shuster’s Dignified Interment of Our Veterans Act would evaluate how effectively the VA identifies, claims and inters unidentified veterans so the process can be streamlined.

Rep. Sanford Bishop (D-Ga.), one of the bill’s original co-sponsors, said he is “deeply saddened” by the undignified treatment of fallen veterans under the current system.

“The sacrifice made by these veterans reflect bravery, courage and strength, and it is now our turn to show that same dedication,” Bishop said. “These veterans cannot be forgotten — they have served our country and are owed a proper military burial with honor and respect. We must fix this grave injustice by supporting the Dignified Interment of Our Veterans Act.”

Sen. Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) introduced companion legislation in the Senate.

I emailed Missing in America to see if they can help. I'm going to look at getting him some publicity. I'm no pro but I'm persistent and Veterans Day is in a few months so that along with this Act could peak some interest.

Thoughts: Maybe he didn't complete force training. He wreaks military though so I'm going to pursue that angle. His weight is right on, clothes, tatt, clean cut.....certainly not AWOL because he'd probably not try to look military then. Last night I went back to people who went missing in 1990/1991 (Desert Shield/Storm time frame) but I didn't find anything good. Maybe he ran off and enlisted in that period without any familial support. One other thought - I had a foster cousin who had no family to go to when he turned 18 so after high school he stayed with my uncle a bit and then enlisted in the service. He was aging out of the system and had no where (of his own) to go.

http://riponadvance.com/news/bill-reform-handling-unidentified-fallen-veterans/7303

I emailed Missing in America to see if they can help. I'm going to look at getting him some publicity. I'm no pro but I'm persistent and Veterans Day is in a few months so that along with this Act could peak some interest.

Thoughts: Maybe he didn't complete force training. He wreaks military though so I'm going to pursue that angle. His weight is right on, clothes, tatt, clean cut.....certainly not AWOL because he'd probably not try to look military then. Last night I went back to people who went missing in 1990/1991 (Desert Shield/Storm time frame) but I didn't find anything good. Maybe he ran off and enlisted in that period without any familial support. One other thought - I had a foster cousin who had no family to go to when he turned 18 so after high school he stayed with my uncle a bit and then enlisted in the service. He was aging out of the system and had no where (of his own) to go.

Not sure if there are 2 groups called Missing In America. I believe this is the one you're talking about Missing In America Project and a new group Missing In America.
I believe Black & Missing has also been sharing him.

It was this one: Missing in America Project - they said they are backlogged and will see if anyone can take a look.

Probably this has been done, but, has anyone contacted the LinkedIn people/groups? I see there is a few options on there.

http://www.3rdrecon.org/austin.htm

The sub ops Hawaii 1 has a guy who is sitting who looked interesting. I don't know if that is a mixed group from 3rd Recon Bn & 1st Force Company though.

I am still trying to get some attention on Facebook for this man.

https://www.facebook.com/NYCJohnDoeFoundJune1997

Anyone have any new ideas on how to get his photo out to the public?

Can You Identify Me? has agreed to create a profile for him and I am also talking to a reporter who may be able to do an article but I will keep you posted..

Any idea why she didn't create a profile for him? New York CYIM. I'm friends with Rebel; can see what's going on.

Been trying to read from post 101 to where I started here. Have to say; something feels weird. The ME doesn't answer; sounds like he may not have been a marine because there aren't or weren't many AA that are marines? What about the Army? If the ink is a memorial tattoo; is it possible he is mixed? He looks pretty light skinned to me. Maybe his dad or grandpa was the marine?

The information I got back was that he was most likely military but the 'city burial' would mean the grave would have been reused in the proceeding time period so exhumation is not a real possibility.

IMHO: I don't think the ink was a tribute because he wasn't prone to getting tattooed (just has that one) and even now that tattoo meets the Marine Corps requirements. I couldn't find requirements for them from the 1990's.

I believe he's been mentioned before but what about Robert King Scott? Has anyone gotten a response from the missing person side there?

This guy doesn't feel like he was separated from the military for to long though since he was still wearing Navy clothes and still looked 'military'. Robert had been out for a while. http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/scott_robert.html

The information I got back was that he was most likely military but the 'city burial' would mean the grave would have been reused in the proceeding time period so exhumation is not a real possibility.

IMHO: I don't think the ink was a tribute because he wasn't prone to getting tattooed (just has that one) and even now that tattoo meets the Marine Corps requirements. I couldn't find requirements for them from the 1990's.

I believe he's been mentioned before but what about Robert King Scott? Has anyone gotten a response from the missing person side there?

This guy doesn't feel like he was separated from the military for to long though since he was still wearing Navy clothes and still looked 'military'. Robert had been out for a while. http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/scott_robert.html

TX - Robert King Scott, 36, Brownsville, 1997 WS thread interesting that he is not in NamUs. It should not be hard to get him listed then compared as he has 4 siblings.

I actually talked to several people with the USMC. I hope its OK to post all this info but its been a while now and I've heard nothing from them.

They sent out an email and asked if anyone recognized him. Several people responded that yes they did recognize him but they could not remember his name. They thought he was from the south. They thought they would be able to id him pretty quickly but when they went thru their reports things seemed to grind to a halt. They ruled out him as being an AWOL Marine because there were only a few black men that were AWOL that had gone missing during that time period. They investigated and actually went to another country to retrieve someone that was AWOL due to their researching this case. We were emailing back and forth quite often but they have since stopped responding.

TX - Robert King Scott, 36, Brownsville, 1997 WS thread interesting that he is not in NamUs. It should not be hard to get him listed then compared as he has 4 siblings.

I created a NamUs profile for him after talking to Michael Nance (NamUs) and a Det. (Texas) but I don't believe it was ever released. The detective didn't seem too interested in following thru but he emailed me Robert's mothers info with D.O.B and a few phone numbers, and an address from when she filed the missing person report. I never contacted her because I wasn't sure what to say and didn't feel comfortable doing so. I still have the info if you would like it...

I contacted them and they promised to do some research and would create a profile. I still haven't seen anything. I have all of the old emails I can send to you...

I keep thinking about this guy and he seems more recently separated from the military than Robert was. I guess the big questions is whether or not Robert had a tattoo.

I created a NamUs profile for him after talking to Michael Nance (NamUs) and a Det. (Texas) but I don't believe it was ever released. The detective didn't seem too interested in following thru but he emailed me Robert's mothers info with D.O.B and a few phone numbers, and an address from when she filed the missing person report. I never contacted her because I wasn't sure what to say and didn't feel comfortable doing so. I still have the info if you would like it...

Speaking to his family is pretty easy. Explain that you're an advocate; you would like to enter her son into the National missing person system; but that you need the missing person report #. I just posted on NJ for Billy's Law how NamUs will take MP's without a case number. I'm surprised someone didn't contact the family; depends on who you match up with. I haven't worked with Michael.

You still "own" his profile. Try to go to NamUs; log in; click "my cases"; see if he's still listed.

Gonna grab you some links.

This is my post about how NamUs will take MP's without a police report. It's an article on how illegal immigrant graves are being exhumed to enter them in NamUs; I decided to use a part in the very end about how they will take cases without a report.

What I personally have seen done; take Robert; you've entered him. We know there is an MP report; but you do not have the case number so it can't be published. I've seen case workers reach out to the family to get the report; eventually a DNA sample. Just depends on the case worker. Some count on people like us to do the contacting. I've done my share; we have 2 that are not published.

Also look at a recent match between a JD & Diana Smith. The article is pretty long but shows how they took the case to enter Diana into NamUs. When adults go missing, only questions remain

I have to finish up. Have an eye Dr appointment to get to. You can give his mom the NJ for Billy's law link; have her send me a PM on the page; or you can give her Michaels info; have her call to give the case number if she won't give to you.

NJ for the Federal Help Find the Missing Act - Billy's Law shared a link July 30 - Do you know of someone that has a missing loved one, but they're not able to get law enforcement to take a report? NamUs will add them to the database WITHOUT a report. This ALSO includes immigrants that have not been heard from crossing the border. Please see the article linked below...

To report a missing person, contact the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System at 855-626-7600 or www.namus.gov. The nonprofit Colibri Center for Human Rights also takes reports at 520-243-8644 or info@colibricenter.org.

Students Make Efforts To Identify Immigrants Buried In Unmarked Graves

Speaking to his family is pretty easy. Explain that you're an advocate; you would like to enter her son into the National missing person system; but that you need the missing person report #. I just posted on NJ for Billy's Law how NamUs will take MP's without a case number. I'm surprised someone didn't contact the family; depends on who you match up with. I haven't worked with Michael.

You still "own" his profile. Try to go to NamUs; log in; click "my cases"; see if he's still listed.

Gonna grab you some links.

I don't feel comfortable contacting family members. I can give you or anyone else who would like to call her info.

I contacted them and they promised to do some research and would create a profile. I still haven't seen anything. I have all of the old emails I can send to you...

This was supposed to be a quote, not sure what happened. What I was trying to say was I contacted Rebel @ Can You Identify Me and she said she would do some research and post a profile for this John Doe. This was quite a while ago but I still have not seen one yet.

This was supposed to be a quote, not sure what happened. What I was trying to say was I contacted Rebel @ Can You Identify Me and she said she would do some research and post a profile for this John Doe. This was quite a while ago but I still have not seen one yet.

I don't feel comfortable contacting family members. I can give you or anyone else who would like to call her info.

Sending you a PM with my email addy so that you can send me what you have.

I emailed Rebel at Can You Identify Me again and she responded that when a profile doesn't go up it means they hit a snag with LE. She is going to have her team follow up...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB
Back