Intruder theories only - RDI theories not allowed! *READ FIRST POST* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If she had died of strangulation prior to the head blow, wouldn't that leave different physical signs? In terms of how her face looked and blood vessels and all of that? I agree that the lack of bleeding/swelling seems to indicate the blow came after.

If she had died of strangulation prior to the head blow, wouldn't that leave different physical signs? In terms of how her face looked and blood vessels and all of that? I agree that the lack of bleeding/swelling seems to indicate the blow came after.

Aside from ligature marks/hand marks, scratches to neck/cuts from struggle, death by asphyxiation rarely leaves any external marks.

WARNING: POST CONTAINS GRAPHIC PHOTOGRAPHS

Thanks Mama2JML, I’ll add on to what you posted.

The Fingernail Marks
"It is not unusual in homicidal ligature strangulation to find that there is more than one ligature mark, each of varying intensity and crossing each other, in parallel or at an angle to each other. Together with such an appearance, one quite commonly sees abrasions caused by movement of a ligature across the neck, or associated fingernail marks, either from the victim attempting to remove the ligature or (together with finger- tip bruising) from the assailant attempting to secure the ligature and/or restrain the neck from moving or even attempting manual strangulation." - A Guide to the Physical Analysis of Ligature Patterns in Homicide Investigations

"The autopsy report supports the conclusion that she was alive before she was asphyxiated by strangulation and that she fought her attacker in some manner”

“Evidence gathered during the autopsy is consistent with the inference that she struggled to remove the garrote from her neck.” – Judge Julie Carnes

Here is a crop of the same photograph, enhanced for higher contrast.
View attachment 61606

The Head Injury
The head injury is a severe closed skull fracture, a fracture where the bone does not protrude externally through the skin.

Excerpts from the Autopsy Report.
-External scalp examination: “No scalp trauma is identified."
-Internal brain examination: "No inflammation is identified."

Symptoms of Severe Skull Fractures
- Leaking of cerebrospinal fluid usually occurs through the nose. (None on JBR)
- Blood in the ears or nose (None on JBR)
- Deformity or facial asymmetry (None on JBR)
-Swelling of the injured area or head (None on JBR)

Dr. Cyril Wecht - If you inflict a blow like that on someone whose heart is beating," he asserts, "the heart doesn't stop, because the cardiac and respiratory centers are at the base of the brain. You're not damaging that with a blow to the top of the head. It'll become compromised as the brain swells, but initially there's no compromise. They control your heart and lungs. The heart continues to beat. The blood continues to flow. But in the Ramsey case, they got less than a teaspoon and a half of blood. If you have a beating heart and the carotid arteries are carrying blood, this person doesn't die right away. That means that blow was inflicted when she was already dead or dying.

Coroner Mike Doberson- reviewed the autopsy photographs and thinks there would have been much more internal bleeding inside the brain if JonBenét had been struck first and strangled later."

Summary: JonBenet was killed with the garrote and then struck over the head. This is why she has a severe skull fracture without exhibiting any symptoms of it. She was already dead. All biological functions had ceased by the time she was struck on the bead. The garrote had closed off all blood flow to her brain from the carotid arteries. There was no swelling or external bleeding, and VERY little internal bleeding. The killer did it as a final check to ensure that she would die before the coward ran off into the night. Look at this photograph of her. Look at her head and surrounding areas. There is no swelling or bleeding. She looks like she is sleeping.

View attachment 61605

I have never seen that pic before with her whole face showing. The ones I seen her arms are covering her face. How sad.

WARNING: POST CONTAINS GRAPHIC PHOTOGRAPHS

Thanks Mama2JML, I’ll add on to what you posted.

The Fingernail Marks
"It is not unusual in homicidal ligature strangulation to find that there is more than one ligature mark, each of varying intensity and crossing each other, in parallel or at an angle to each other. Together with such an appearance, one quite commonly sees abrasions caused by movement of a ligature across the neck, or associated fingernail marks, either from the victim attempting to remove the ligature or (together with finger- tip bruising) from the assailant attempting to secure the ligature and/or restrain the neck from moving or even attempting manual strangulation." - A Guide to the Physical Analysis of Ligature Patterns in Homicide Investigations
You’ll get no argument from me that fingernail marks exist on the necks of some strangulation victims. Some are from the assailant if it is a manual strangulation, and sometimes they are self-inflicted fingernail marks from the victim in trying to remove the source of strangulation (hands, cord, rope -- whatever the ligature might be). But I’ve seen pictures of fingernail marks. They are usually very pronounced semi-circular (crescent-shaped) marks, they are often accompanied by fingertip bruising, and the direction of the arc is indicative of whether they are self-inflicted or caused by an assailant from behind or in front of the victim. Their pattern also indicates whether the assailant used his left or his right hand. If they are self-inflicted by the victim trying to remove a ligature, they are more often than not scratches rather than simple, single-line semi-circles. The reasons for all this should be self-evident if you take the time to think about it.

"The autopsy report supports the conclusion that she was alive before she was asphyxiated by strangulation and that she fought her attacker in some manner”

“Evidence gathered during the autopsy is consistent with the inference that she struggled to remove the garrote from her neck.” – Judge Julie Carnes
I don’t regard Judge Carnes as qualified to draw conclusions about Dr. Meyer’s autopsy that he didn’t himself make. In fact, even though I’m aware that some people do agree with her, she offers no explanation for her conclusion of this. Her conclusion is based on the information given her by one side in a civil suit -- hardly what I would consider reliable. So let’s look at the photo you chose to support your earlier statement...

Here is a crop of the same photograph, enhanced for higher contrast.
View attachment 61606
First, in the case of self-inflicted marks by the victim, they will almost always be above the ligature. So what you’ve circled below the ligature cannot be fingernail marks, unless you accept that the initial strangulation was actually from the ligature being lower on her neck while she was still alive and conscious. In fact, I’ll give you that, because I happen to believe that this was the case. I believe that she died while the ligature was in the lower area of her neck where the blanched line remains. But that line is too low for the marks you’ve circled to be very likely to be the result of her attempting to remove the ligature. And again, self-inflicted marks are usually scratches rather than fingernail-shaped indentations, especially if they are inches above the source of strangulation.

Unfortunately the only photos we have available (including the one you chose to represent your position) are not very clear. But even after your “enhancing it for higher contrast”, I don’t see a shape or a pattern that would be an indication that these are anything other than what Dr. Meyer called them in the autopsy:

“The skin just above the ligature furrow along the right side of the neck contains petechial hemorrhage composed of multiple confluent very small petechial hemorrhages as well as several larger petechial hemorrhages measuring up to one-sixteenth and one-eighth of an inch in maximum dimension. Similar smaller petechial hemorrhages are equally dilated.”

No mention in the AR of scratch marks, fingernail marks, semi-circle or crescent-shaped marks, patterned surface marks, or any self-defensive wounds. There is nothing to the idea of fingernail marks on JonBenet’s neck other than the speculation of those of us who’ve seen the same photos and think they may look like what we think are fingernail marks, or we’ve heard someone else’s opinion. While speculation is fine for looking at possibilities, it is nothing to base an opinion on that she struggled, suffered, resisted, or that she fought off her attacker. It is therefore not in itself a valid reason to surmise that the head blow had to have come after the strangulation, especially if we take into consideration the other factors such as the condition of the brain and the responses inside her skull.

The Head Injury
The head injury is a severe closed skull fracture, a fracture where the bone does not protrude externally through the skin.
Actually, a closed wound only refers to the fact that the skin was not broken. It would be highly unlikely for the skull to actually protrude through the skin -- and unnecessary for it to be considered an open wound.

Excerpts from the Autopsy Report.
-External scalp examination: “No scalp trauma is identified."
-Internal brain examination: "No inflammation is identified."
Neither of these two items have anything to do with the swelling or the bleeding inside her skull.

Symptoms of Severe Skull Fractures
- Leaking of cerebrospinal fluid usually occurs through the nose. (None on JBR)
- Blood in the ears or nose (None on JBR)
Whether or not either of these occurs depends on several factors. The most likely cause of blood or cerebrospinal fluid (or a mixture of the two) in the ear or nostrils is the existence of a basilar fracture (fracture of the base or floor of the skull). Basilar fractures are extremely rare and there is nothing in the AR to indicate that this happened. Other factors are exact location of the fracture, length of time between injury and death, and body position. While Meyer mentions “a small amount of tan mucous material” in the nostrils and “a pattern of dried saliva and mucous material” on the right cheek, he also states that this “does not appear to be hemorrhagic”. We don’t know the results of any testing done to determine the hemorrhagic content of the dried fluid, but just in looking at the photos I wouldn’t be so quick to rule out hemorrhagic content in the dried mucous due to its color. Also worth noting here is that Meyer’s comment about it not appearing to be hemorrhagic was made before reflecting the scalp and discovery of the skull fracture (IOW, he had no reason at that time to suspect bloody mucous from a skull fracture.).

- Deformity or facial asymmetry (None on JBR)
This would only be found if the head blow landed on an area on (or very close to) her face.

-Swelling of the injured area or head (None on JBR)
It’s correct that no swelling was noted externally by Meyer before he cut into her scalp and peeled it back. Swelling was found internally though, and it was so noted.

Dr. Cyril Wecht - If you inflict a blow like that on someone whose heart is beating," he asserts, "the heart doesn't stop, because the cardiac and respiratory centers are at the base of the brain. You're not damaging that with a blow to the top of the head. It'll become compromised as the brain swells, but initially there's no compromise. They control your heart and lungs. The heart continues to beat. The blood continues to flow. But in the Ramsey case, they got less than a teaspoon and a half of blood. If you have a beating heart and the carotid arteries are carrying blood, this person doesn't die right away. That means that blow was inflicted when she was already dead or dying.
I have a lot of respect for Dr. Wecht, but that doesn’t make him infallible. (If you don’t believe that, just look into the facts behind his public declaration about Pittsburgh Steelers offensive lineman Terry Long’s death and his later retraction and unannounced amendment to the death certificate when he was proven wrong.) In this case, Wecht just plain got it wrong (IMO). There was no “sex game gone awry”, no erotic asphyxia (auto or otherwise), no twisting of her collar causing the neck bruise, no “carotid artery reflex”, and there was much more blood in the cranium that was documented in the AR than was mentioned by Wecht. His statement above that “the blood continues to flow” (but that it didn't in the Ramsey case) does not take into account that it would be restricted going to and/or exiting from the skull and the brain once the ligature is tightened around her neck regardless of whether or not she was still alive. He only mentions the amount of blood in one area, ignoring the rest of the blood, and claims there was not enough blood to indicate she was alive at the time of the head blow. But then, acknowledging the entire amount of blood throughout her skull in the different layers of membranes around her brain would contradict his theory that the head blow came afterwards.

Of course, if you want to go along with everything Dr. Wecht says I would remind you that he also said that if the Ramseys had shown up with the injured JonBenet at a hospital emergency room, John Ramsey would have been arrested.

Coroner Mike Doberson- reviewed the autopsy photographs and thinks there would have been much more internal bleeding inside the brain if JonBenét had been struck first and strangled later."
How do you square Doberson’s comment with the other experts who said that the strangulation had to have occurred as long as an hour or even two hours after the head blow? How do you square it with Denver Health Medical Center’s chief neurologist Dr. Kerry Brega who said that it is “not uncommon for people with skull fractures to not have any bleeding”?

I’ve written several times before about the amount of bleeding and edema in the brain. If you care to read further, you can read some of the following posts. You don’t have to agree with my conclusions, but you should understand that it is incorrect to state that there was “a lack of swelling and bleeding” in JonBenet’s brain.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...G!-AUTOPSY-PHOTOS!***&p=10931908#post10931908

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?7469-John-Ramsey-s-Role/page8&p=9570391#post9570391

Summary: JonBenet was killed with the garrote and then struck over the head. This is why she has a severe skull fracture without exhibiting any symptoms of it. She was already dead. All biological functions had ceased by the time she was struck on the bead. The garrote had closed off all blood flow to her brain from the carotid arteries. There was no swelling or external bleeding, and VERY little internal bleeding. The killer did it as a final check to ensure that she would die before the coward ran off into the night. Look at this photograph of her. Look at her head and surrounding areas. There is no swelling or bleeding. She looks like she is sleeping.
All (IMO) incorrect conclusions based on her outward appearance and the incorrect interpretation of what is written in the AR. Regardless of who each of us believes is responsible for this child's death, the facts shouldn't change. There was a degree of cerebral edema, and there was considerable bleeding inside the skull. As Anti-K appropriately put it (forgive me for not having the exact quote), there was as much blood in the skull as the pressure and the space inside would allow. And this is what proves she was alive at the time the head blow was delivered.

Thank you for the constructive and informative response. We will agree to disagree on this matter. Still, thank you for all the information you provided.

I would have to agree that the head blow probably came first. Whether that was intentional or accidental is up for debate, but I feel that the strangulation was to put her out of her misery once it was decided that seeking medical help would result in jail time and scandal for a family member. I just can't see a scenario as to why anyone, Ramsey or intruder, would smash her skull after death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't dispute that JonBenét was alive when the head blow was delivered. I wouldn't say it came first, though. (In terms of injuries noted in the AR.) I'm confused as to what is being debated here?...

I would have to agree that the head blow probably came first. Whether that was intentional or accidental is up for debate, but I feel that the strangulation was to put her out of her misery once it was decided that seeking medical help would result in jail time and scandal for a family member. I just can't see a scenario as to why anyone, Ramsey or intruder, would smash her skull after death.

These two CODs often accompany one another. Quite common, pretty typical, actually...

Thank you for the constructive and informative response. We will agree to disagree on this matter. Still, thank you for all the information you provided.
No problem here with disagreeing on conclusions. I just wanted to know what you were looking at to see the fingernail marks you referred to, and I wanted to understand why you would refer to a “lack of swelling and bleeding in the skull”. JonBenet’s brain weighed 1450 gm. Depending on whether you calculate it by weight alone or by percentage of body weight, it was 15% to 25% more than what should be expected in a 6 to 7 year old female:

Brain Weight (showing amount of edema).JPG

If an incorrect assumption is made at the start, one cannot expect to draw correct conclusions.

I don't dispute that JonBenét was alive when the head blow was delivered. I wouldn't say it came first, though. (In terms of injuries noted in the AR.) I'm confused as to what is being debated here?...
Sorry, Mama. Hopefully my last post clears up any confusion I may have caused. I realize which thread I’m on -- I’m not trying to go against the terms. I simply want to make sure we all understand the evidence. If we draw different conclusion, that’s fine. But I’d rather we do it based on correct information instead of information that is clearly incorrect.

Far too busy these last few weeks (and the next few!) to do any posting, but I’ve been trying to follow things as best I can. Just wanted to say that I do not recall saying anything like what otg claims (post 1485, above). I did say something about however much blood there was, it was still less than what was expected. And, contrary to what otg says about what I said, I actually think that the “space inside the skull” and “pressure” would have allowed for more bleeding - but, the garrote and death prevented that.

Also, whichever side of the “What Came First” side one is on, I hope that we all realize that the blow was struck while the victim was alive. While the blow could have come during the asphyxiation, it could not have come after.

Not sure when I’ll have time to post again. Carry on. :)

AK

Sorry, Mama. Hopefully my last post clears up any confusion I may have caused. I realize which thread I’m on -- I’m not trying to go against the terms. I simply want to make sure we all understand the evidence. If we draw different conclusion, that’s fine. But I’d rather we do it based on correct information instead of information that is clearly incorrect.
No apology necessary...

You believe the marks are consistent with petechiae? What is your theoretical interpretation of the abrasions noted in the AR? (See my previous post; a page or two back.) Do you honestly believe JonBenét was unable to (or simply did not) struggle? Or, do you feel the evidence doesn't support this conclusion? I apologize for all the questions, but I think I must have misinterpreted your 'overall' BDI/RDI theory.

Far too busy these last few weeks (and the next few!) to do any posting, but I’ve been trying to follow things as best I can. Just wanted to say that I do not recall saying anything like what otg claims (post 1485, above). I did say something about however much blood there was, it was still less than what was expected. And, contrary to what otg says about what I said, I actually think that the “space inside the skull” and “pressure” would have allowed for more bleeding - but, the garrote and death prevented that.

Also, whichever side of the “What Came First” side one is on, I hope that we all realize that the blow was struck while the victim was alive. While the blow could have come during the asphyxiation, it could not have come after.

Not sure when I’ll have time to post again. Carry on. :)

AK
My mistake, AK. I gave you credit for something someone said that I thought made a lot of sense. I thought it was you because I do agree with some of the things you say at times. I should have taken the time to llook for the exact words.

I do agree with you here that the blow could not have come after she was dead (if that’s what you were saying). Therefore it could not have been done as “staging” as some (not you) have suggested.

No apology necessary...

You believe the marks are consistent with petechiae? What is your theoretical interpretation of the abrasions noted in the AR? (See my previous post; a page or two back.) Do you honestly believe JonBenét was unable to (or simply did not) struggle? Or, do you feel the evidence doesn't support this conclusion? I apologize for all the questions, but I think I must have misinterpreted your 'overall' BDI/RDI theory.

I’ll try to answer you questions briefly (respectfully keeping in mind which thread I’m on). Well... as briefly as I’m capable of (apologies) without mentioning possible suspect names. But if you want to discuss my answers further, maybe we should take it to a neutral thread so I don’t get in trouble for posting on this one.

I believe that the white line below the furrow on her neck is where that same ligature strangled the life out of her. Most of the neck and facial petechiae would form at that time. After she was dead (or very near) the ligature rolled/slipped up her neck causing the more pronounced area of petechiae between the two ligature marks (and yes, before anyone asks, petechiae can form after death from external forces on the surface of the skin). In Post #1480, GJO quoted Peter Vanezis from his book, The Pathology of Homicide, where he discussed this common phenomenon of the ligature rolling up the neck (although it was cited as being from Turvey’s website). The very large “roughly triangular, parchment-like rust colored abrasion” (I believe) was caused by the rupture of a blood vessel which bled out into the constraints of the carotid triangle. If you look at pictures of actual known fingernail marks on the necks of other strangulation victims, you’ll see they are very pronounced, prominent, and hardly open for question or interpretation. What I can see in the only pictures we’ve ever had access to of JonBenet does not match what I’ve seen elsewhere except in pictures of petechial hemorrhages.

Additionally, I believe the AR fits best (even though the “experts” can’t seem to agree on the timing) with the fact that the head blow happened before the ligature strangulation. That being the case, I wouldn’t expect to see any signs of a struggle due to her resulting unconsciousness. From accounts I've read of survivors of attempted strangulation, the victim will dig their fingers into their neck if they could to try and remove the ligature or the assailant's hands.

Let me ask you this, Mama: If you believe a stun-gun was used to incapacitate her (and I think you do), how would she have been able to struggle when the ligature was tightened?

My mistake, AK. I gave you credit for something someone said that I thought made a lot of sense. I thought it was you because I do agree with some of the things you say at times. I should have taken the time to llook for the exact words.

I do agree with you here that the blow could not have come after she was dead (if that’s what you were saying). Therefore it could not have been done as “staging” as some (not you) have suggested.

otg,
BBM: The head injury might represent a failed attempt at offering a visible explanation for JonBenet's death?

A more conventional explanation is that JonBenet was struggling with her assailant and towards the end of this interchange she was whacked on the head?

That she was whacked on the head to silence her seems not to match all the forensic evidence, not withstanding how her assailant who was digitally assaulting JonBenet acquired a blunt force weapon so quickly?

I favor the staging scenario since this is what appears to have preoccupied the R's in what they might have assumed was a post-mortem situation?

otg,
BBM: The head injury might represent a failed attempt at offering a visible explanation for JonBenet's death?

A more conventional explanation is that JonBenet was struggling with her assailant and towards the end of this interchange she was whacked on the head?

That she was whacked on the head to silence her seems not to match all the forensic evidence, not withstanding how her assailant who was digitally assaulting JonBenet acquired a blunt force weapon so quickly?

I favor the staging scenario since this is what appears to have preoccupied the R's in what they might have assumed was a post-mortem situation?

I completely disagree with everything you said here, UKG. But I won't go into it on this thread. You and I are not wanted here.

I’ll try to answer you questions briefly (respectfully keeping in mind which thread I’m on). Well... as briefly as I’m capable of (apologies) without mentioning possible suspect names. But if you want to discuss my answers further, maybe we should take it to a neutral thread so I don’t get in trouble for posting on this one.

I believe that the white line below the furrow on her neck is where that same ligature strangled the life out of her. Most of the neck and facial petechiae would form at that time. After she was dead (or very near) the ligature rolled/slipped up her neck causing the more pronounced area of petechiae between the two ligature marks (and yes, before anyone asks, petechiae can form after death from external forces on the surface of the skin). In Post #1480, GJO quoted Peter Vanezis from his book, The Pathology of Homicide, where he discussed this common phenomenon of the ligature rolling up the neck (although it was cited as being from Turvey’s website). The very large “roughly triangular, parchment-like rust colored abrasion” (I believe) was caused by the rupture of a blood vessel which bled out into the constraints of the carotid triangle. If you look at pictures of actual known fingernail marks on the necks of other strangulation victims, you’ll see they are very pronounced, prominent, and hardly open for question or interpretation. What I can see in the only pictures we’ve ever had access to of JonBenet does not match what I’ve seen elsewhere except in pictures of petechial hemorrhages.

Additionally, I believe the AR fits best (even though the “experts” can’t seem to agree on the timing) with the fact that the head blow happened before the ligature strangulation. That being the case, I wouldn’t expect to see any signs of a struggle due to her resulting unconsciousness. From accounts I've read of survivors of attempted strangulation, the victim will dig their fingers into their neck if they could to try and remove the ligature or the assailant's hands.

Let me ask you this, Mama: If you believe a stun-gun was used to incapacitate her (and I think you do), how would she have been able to struggle when the ligature was tightened?
I find the use of a stun gun to be most consistent with the evidence, but I am not so sure it's primary function would have been to incapacitate the victim. Along with petechiae, Dr. Meyer observed abrasions on the neck, and he referred to them as such in the AR. He also noted a superficial abrasion on the victim's chin.

First time that I agree with OTG that AR the best fit for the facts of death. I stick to the coroner. I respect others opinions, just can not accept if it contradicts the facts.

For me personally there is three pillars, nobody could shake or deny: ransom, AR and forensic evidences.

The rest is open book. Open for interpretation and opinions. Which will lead away from the truth. All this interrogation tricks, implications without providing the actual prove , they denied to show ANY prove of their "findings". Never ever anybody saw all those " matching" fiber`s lab reports. At least they would show one, dark fibers, or red fibers. Nobody saw. Nobody will ever see, because there is none. It was attempts to corner Ramsey. Failed. And when failed, even then, they had NOTHING in their sleeves to present at least ONE fact and turn the case around, and save their careers. They could not. Ah-Ah...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth