GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bumping this msm article that could have been written about the Dermond abduction/decapitation/murder investigation today, yet was released over seven months ago on May 8, 2014...

Grim slaying, disappearance have Putnam authorities stymied
BY JOE KOVAC JR. AND LIZ FABIAN
Telegraph staff

EATONTON, GA-- The killing and decapitation of an 88-year-old man and the vanishing of his wife have authorities here scrounging for clues why anyone would have preyed on the couple.

On Thursday, as the third day of the investigation wound down, autopsy results were still incomplete in the death of Russell J. Dermond, whose head was severed and hasn’t been found.

His body was found in his garage Tuesday morning by concerned neighbors. Meanwhile his wife, Shirley Wilcox Dermond, 87, has disappeared without a trace.

An acquaintance of hers, a friend from the Eatonton Duplicate Bridge Club, was so shaken when she spoke to a Telegraph reporter that she didn’t want her name printed.

“I tremble,” she said Thursday. “My hands are shaking over this. … This is obviously the work of people who are far from normal. … You don’t know who might be next.”

< Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2014/05/08/3087453_decapitation-unlikely-cause-of.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy >

Continued-->

Due to the condition of her husband&#8217;s body, the FBI has checked for any sign of organized crime, Sills said. They&#8217;ve combed through phone records and financial records.

&#8220;Nothing, nothing, nothing,&#8221; the sheriff said. &#8220;They&#8217;ve been married 68 years, and we&#8217;re hearing nothing but glorious accolades about these people.&#8221;

There has been no sign of activity on their account and no ransom note, so there is no apparent motive for the killing and likely abduction.

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2014/05/08/3087453_decapitation-unlikely-cause-of.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy

If it was something Mr D did to someone as a young person/child/and is now grown up then that means the case is solved, then they should be in custody if that is true.

For someone to wait so many years for "revenge" is bizarre. I know revenge is best served when least expected, but I find it hard to believe that a child would wait to grow up then seek out the Dermonds. Everyone has mysteries in their past, and the Dermonds are no exception. Someone wanted them...specifically him...gone. IMO.

Hey, where is a link that verifies that Mr. D's hands were missing? Without proof this cannot be believed, but if it is true - Wow, if in addition to his head, his hands being removed may indicate that at one time it was planned to dispose of his body somewhere other than his home. Or was this just another red herring to confuse and confound this case investigation. In my heart and mind, I believe that this was perpetrated by some people who knew the Ds quite well and not only still living on another section of lake Oconee but are still walking freely in the D's community. A "wolf in sheep's clothing," so to speak. I believe that the single mode of transportation was a boat owned by someone who had a dock on lake Oconee, a rather large lake, and did not have to use a boat ramp. IMHO, if you have watched videos or read reports regarding this case, you are already familiar with someone involved in the crime(s). Ask yourself, from the very beginning was there something about someone that just didn't seem right? And I'm not talking about the sheriff. Appearances can be deceiving but also revealing.

One theory makes as much sense as another with this case. Whoever did it is a savage, and most likely will be caught at some point in time.

Here is a 2007 case, you all may have seen this,I've not been in touch all day with news until now.

Just shows that people have secrets, of course not everyone i suppose, but this girls father was completely unaware

not sure how long the D's lived in a separate state from their children, i think one son lived in ATL pretty near the D's in, I think, Sandy Springs, at one time

All I can say is that "someone" killed them, will be interesting to see, that is, if it ever gets solved, seeing this 8 yr old case gives hope

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...m-who-led-double-life/ar-BBf4KIM?ocid=UP97DHP

I feel that the D's knew something on someone, interesting information True Crime Lover, people are people, it doesn't matter what affiliations you have, you are right about the preacher placing himself in the media and investigation, some criminals hide in plain site, Do you live in or near Lake Sinclair/Oconee? do you attend this church or have you in the past?

well I do hope the authorities are looking into all angles, even if we can't, only way to find the truth, search

I do not know any of the people involved in this case so I started research on this case with a blank slate. Everything I know I have gotten from media videos or reports, Google searches, YouTube videos, maps, tax records, etc. Do you live around lake Oconee or Eatonton?
I absolutely do not believe that the D's family had anything to do with this nor did the Nuwaubian or any other cult. The beheading of Mr. D I believe was not foreseen in an otherwise fastidiously planned double murder. This was in response to a bullet entering but not exiting his skull and his head was removed to leave no evidence. See the "Headless Body in a Topless Bar" case as a reference.
http://nypost.com/2010/02/22/83-killer-in-denial/

I do not know any of the people involved in this case so I started research on this case with a blank slate. Everything I know I have gotten from media videos or reports, Google searches, YouTube videos, maps, tax records, etc. Do you live around lake Oconee or Eatonton?
I absolutely do not believe that the D's family had anything to do with this nor did the Nuwaubian or any other cult. The beheading of Mr. D I believe was not foreseen in an otherwise fastidiously planned double murder. This was in response to a bullet entering but not exiting his skull and his head was removed to leave no evidence. See the "Headless Body in a Topless Bar" case as a reference.

<BBM for Focus>
Welcome to websleuths, True Crime Lover... Interesting revelations and opinions..
Seems that if Mr D was decapitated to remove ballistic forensic evidence, there would have likely been gun shot residue present on his neck, imo.. The lack of forensics evidence in the Dermond murders is a smoking gun that the person/s responsible were forensically aware, imo.. Imo, the Dermond murders were not an impulsive crime, but well planned and executed, and the perp/s responsible were professional/paramilitary; 'no stranger/s to the game'.. It is unlikely that the perp/s were amateurs/first timers, imo...
Imo, the month and day the Dermonds were estimated to be murdered is not coincidental.. Too many parallels to ignore, imo...

http://raycomgroup.worldnow.com/story/25448430/putnam-co-police-search-for-missing-woman-after-hus
Police said Russell Dermond's head was cut off after he was dead and the cause of death was blunt force trauma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gVzoygDJg4
May 18, 2014 - Examiners say blunt force trauma caused Dermond's death ... says an the autopsy shows the cause of death was the result of blunt force trauma to the head.

Foxfire

Many "Yes!"s. Right on target!
One thing though. For a short period it was reported (and I don't know where but think it was from the Putnam county Coroner) that the cause of death was a gunshot wound to the head. Anyone else remember this? Anyway, the only way that this could have been determined when there is no head is if there was gunshot residue on Mr. D's shoulders or back, which would mean the weapon was fired close to his head. Right? If he had been shot from further away, there would not be gunshot residue.

This was apparently quickly retracted. The sheriff made the statement that the cause of death was "craniocerebral trauma." Then the final cause of death after autopsy was designated blunt force trauma to the head.
This sequence of events seems strange to me. Of course, LE always withhold some details that only the killer(s) know. Was there gunshot residue on Mr. D?
The only thing we have differing views on is that it appears that you believe the perpetrators were professionals and had murdered before. While the killers were forensically savvy and very intelligent, I feel that they were not that experienced with guns and not experienced with actual murders.
Boy, I sure hope they solve this case!

Foxfire
Why do you believe that the month and day estimated for the murders was not coincidental? Does this have anything to do with the Derby Party? I think that this is something I haven't considered yet. Thanks.

(although in this case the murderer was a Christian and gun rights activist, but until the motive is released I don't think we can assume his horrific act had anything to do with his religious beliefs).
How do you know that? Would a true Christian murder anyone? But I do believe that the murderers did and do hold themselves out to be "flock leaders," but tend to believe that the murderers were not that experienced with guns and gun rights were not part of their agenda. IMHO, don't know, just a gut feeling...

Bumping.

I'm going to re-open the thread. You'll notice posts referencing a particular cult have been removed. That topic is OFF LIMITS in the Dermonds' threads. LE has given absolutely no indication that the murders were the work of cultists. In fact, Sheriff Sills made a statement to the contrary, iirc.

If you'd like to continue a discussion of the NC, I'll open a thread in the Parking Lot for that purpose.

Thanks.

ETA: Link to new thread in the Parking Lot to discuss the Nuwaubian Cult

The Dermond discussion remains in this thread, and should not carry over into the NC thread. If it does, then the NC thread will be closed permanently, and the Dermond thread closed until LE issues another press release.

Welcome to websleuths True Crime Lover! Your posts along with everyone's are interesting and appreciated. This case is very bizarre and as other members have mentioned savage. Whoever did this is obviously very dangerous and sick. Hopefully they will be caught the sooner the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member