Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Day 19 - Shortest Court Day, EVER

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that they gave JM a document that contains 7000 pages to read is another mind blowing tidbit of that motion he just filed.. Unbelievable.

Some joke, eh? This charade is doing irreparable damage to the justice system. It may be unprecedented, but it's time a higher authority stepped in and salvaged this wreck. IMO.

I don't believe this one trial and this one phase of this one trial is changing anything with the entire justice system. It's an anomaly. Other cases manage to move through the process in AZ and also outside of AZ. This one is just not going to be any faster than it is. It's a giant chess match and watching it is like watching paint dry (or, keeping with the metaphor, watching Bobby Fisher think about his next chess move).

Each spectator has the ultimate power and control to turn away and go do something else with their time rather than sit around and wait for the case progress they want. Thank goodness this isn't being televised, that would be some scintillating TeeVee. Not.

Keep this in mind: Arias is going to Perryville no matter what. Fait Accompli!

KCL is missing in action also.... hope she is okay. :loveyou: KCL!!!!!

OT: From what I have read on her Two Innocents blog, KCL is doing super!! KCL has another "project" to keep her otherwise occupied (ever hear the term "soul mate"). What a neato story of how she met "him" in November, physically meeting him in PA this past weekend, and then this month she will be in Seattle, Washington, working on her book. Hurrah for KCL!! Sure do miss her input on this part of trial. (JMO)

Not a hearing - apparently an announcement as to whether there will be any Arias court tomorrow. Wanna guess?

Considering the way things have gone, it'll be something like this:
4pm today: Announce penalty phase will convene at 10:30am tomorrow.
10:30am tomorrow: JSS continues with whatever other trials she is working.
11am: First sidebar.
11:15: Jury is brought in.
11:20: Second sidebar.
11:30: 5-minute recess.
11:30-noon: Long secret sidebar.
Noon: Jury is brought back in.
12:05: Another sidebar.
12:15: Break for 90-minute lunch.
2:10: End of lunch break; sidebar.
2:25: Jury is brought back in.
2:30: JSS announces court is done for the day.

Nurmi is doing his best to cause a mistrial on so many fronts. IMO he knows he cannot win, so he obfuscates. His actions are pretty reprehensible and I have never seen as many games, manipulations, and whatever adjective you want to throw in there, being played out in this trial. IMO

What's to stop him? If the Judge won't control him he can go on like this ad nauseam....

IMHO, the defense has been dragging out the testimony to introduce the *advertiser censored* issue into the abuse realm. The problem is, it's far from settled at this point. Geffner has been going in circles waiting to testify on direct about it and IT isn't happening soon enough!

If JSS were to rule Geffner had to take the stand now, the defense could say in an appeal that she disallowed him to testify to exculpatory evidence. If, by some hallucinogenic means, the court would rule the *advertiser censored* testimony in, it would be a good appeal. Meanwhile, the whole *advertiser censored* issue is a teeming swamp of mosquitos what with Neumeister & Co. and the defense battling the Prosecution at every turn, and at the last minute, I pity the poor Master who has to advise JSS about the issue.

JSS has to follow the rules, it isn't her fault. It isn't Juan's fault. The fault lies, with JA and her defense and their nefarious legal games.

I hate this process as do you all. However, none of this is JSS' fault. She has to follow the rules. Juan follows the rules. The defense can play legal games till the cows come home...

I agree, the delays are extreme and mind boggling at times, but I am going to try to be patient and remember that "good things come to those who wait." I feel so bad for those jurors and Travis' family. They are the ones who suffer through this more than any of us. We will survive, but will the jurors?

I wonder what would happen if the citizens and tax payers of Arizona began writing to the _______________ [ not sure who] to complain about this ridiculously long, wasteful, expensive beyond belief, joke of a trial. Would it put some pressure on this judge or her superiors to move it along?

This is what I am understanding. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Jodi's trial is on hold until they decide on the computer *advertiser censored* & prosecutorial misconduct . Geffner didn't testify as JW isn't finished and wants to bring in the *advertiser censored* before giving Juan a go at him.

If Nurmi can get a SC decision over the phone in 10 minutes, then let's get on it Nurmi, asap.

So we have JA's penalty phase on hold until Juan gets to interview the secret computer techs & reviews all they found on TA's computer & questions the secret computer techs in court. Then JSS will decide if *advertiser censored* is brought in and if any misconduct occurred...and babbling JW & Geffner will take another week if *advertiser censored* is allowed...and by Thursday, the news people might be granted their request for the secret testimony of JA's if Nurmi gets denied by the SC...what a cluster...

I bet Nurmi's business will sky rocket after this case is resolved. People knowing that prison time is in their future, will want Nurmi because he files all these freaking motions causing delays.

I hope all the molesters and pedophiles in the WORLD beat a path to his door!

He will NEVER get another "robe" like this one, no matter how long he lives.

Respectfully, I must disagree.

This goes far beyond the normal process in any case I have ever kept up with in the last 30 years.

She has already been tried and convicted by a jury and that is what she will appeal. That has long been over.

Can you name me any other death penalty case that has taken this long or has seen this many delays in the sentencing phase that were also made into a three ring circus by a Judge who doesn't have the backbone and ability to control their courtroom? I am not being snarky, I promise. I truly have never ever seen a case that would even begin to compare to this one. And while the guilt phase was bizarre enough this second sentencing phase is even more bizarre.

In all the sentencing phases I have ever seen that were death penalty cases not one had this many delays, disruptions, sidebars, secret in chamber meetings nor took this long to complete. In death penalty cases the sentencing phase usually takes about a week or two. Not months and months and months that are filled with delay after delay. JSS has no respect for the jury. None and I find that ridiculous. Every Judge that I have seen, except JSS, is very mindful of the jury's time. And if they do have a delay occasionally the Judge is the first one to apologize to the jury for the downtime.

So I don't agree. This case is one for the history books and not in a good way. JA has held the justice system hostage and JSS lets her get away with it and her team.

Juan and Travis' family both want the death penalty because this case cries out for the most severe punishment allowed by law. I don't blame either of them for not giving in. No matter how it ends at least they will know they didn't give in to JA and tried their best to get full justice for a man who was horrifically slaughtered by the murderess he rejected. He doesn't have to prepare them. They are intelligent and they know the outcome can go either way. They have already been through it one time but because they are such courageous people they have no qualms going through it all again for Travis.

If the DA and Juan did not want death for this evil woman then all it would show is once again... females who do the most horrendous crimes imaginable are treated differently by the State.

The DA and Juan removed the gender of the hideous murderer and they went strictly by how heinous and premeditated the crime was.

They made the right and only choice to be made in this particular case, imo. All of them have my full respect. No matter what the jury does or doesn't do.......Travis' family, the DA and Juan made the right call.

I wish this was a letter to whoever was in charge of JSS. This trial is getting worse by the minute and I can only hope that after this Nurmi and Wilmott never work again.

What's to stop him? If the Judge won't control him he can go on like this ad nauseam....

He is racking up the dollars too!!! Retirement must be in his near future.

This is nutz. Sneak? This is not sneaking. It's full on parading it in in the most disrespectful way! He knows damn well that she has not ruled on the computer *advertiser censored* carp! WTF.

ceYjYeG.png

I believe this would have been a hearing regarding the motion. I do not think he would have been testifying before the jury. It would have been questioning along the same lines as what JM was asking BM during his hearing. Just a guess.

DT strategy is so transparently obvious to me.

- Force a mistrial one way or the other either through juror attrition or whatever they can finagle. Their tactics to achieve this are the same ones being used overAndover: delay the movement of this phase through the filing of multiple motions, witness 'issues,' filing of more motions, claiming misconduct on the part of everyone else, finding issues to take to the CoA during this phase, forcing the judge to address all kinds of other issues (which she HAS to do btw, it's not optional). It all adds time and that gets them closer to a possible mistrial. Lather, rinse, repeat.

ETA: and I'm not convinced the judge is very worried about this. She too knows if there's a mistrial then this will finally end and Arias will be sentenced and on her way to Perryville. It's not like Arias is walking out of that courtroom a free woman. The state knows it, the judge knows it, and the worst that will happen here is that Arias won't get the DP.

After reading this motion, I am amazed when I go back and re-read BN's testimony. It seems almost fraudulent based on his responses within the interview. He admits he isn't a computer "expert" - and yet, that is what he was portraying in the hearings. As to the Alexander family - my heart breaks for them. When I had to attend the trial for my daughters murder it was so incredibly awful when court was not in session. It was only a few weeks for me - I can't imagine how they are holding up after a few years of this trial. Unbelievable!

Can the state ask for a mis trial due to the judge and get a new penalty phase with hopefully a new judge?

IMHO, the defense has been dragging out the testimony to introduce the *advertiser censored* issue into the abuse realm. The problem is, it's far from settled at this point. Geffner has been going in circles waiting to testify on direct about it and IT isn't happening soon enough!

If JSS were to rule Geffner had to take the stand now, the defense could say in an appeal that she disallowed him to testify to exculpatory evidence. If, by some hallucinogenic means, the court would rule the *advertiser censored* testimony in, it would be a good appeal. Meanwhile, the whole *advertiser censored* issue is a teeming swamp of mosquitos what with Neumeister & Co. and the defense battling the Prosecution at every turn, and at the last minute, I pity the poor Master who has to advise JSS about the issue.

JSS has to follow the rules, it isn't her fault. It isn't Juan's fault. The fault lies, with JA and her defense and their nefarious legal games.

I hate this process as do you all. However, none of this is JSS' fault. She has to follow the rules. Juan follows the rules. The defense can play legal games till the cows come home...

BBM. Thank-you!!:clap::clap::clap: I'm tired of all the JSS bashing. It's not her fault! Blame Nurmi & the defense team for all of this garbage and delays. We don't want to start over from scratch with a new judge. When Juan gets his turn, he will win a Death sentence, just be patient people.

MaryND, sorry that you lost your daughter to a murder and that you had to endure a horrible trial.

Here's my understanding of what happened this morning. Before trial, without the jury present there was to be two hearings. One was about the computer *advertiser censored*. It was delayed because Juan needs today to interview pseudo first and he also is requesting time to verify anything that pseudo says in the interview. The other hearing was to hear from the media attorney. It was delayed because Nurmi has filed for a stay from the AZ supreme court (I specifically remember JSS saying there will be no delay while he does this).
After these two hearings the jury was to be brought back in to finish Geffner's testimony. This is not happening because Juan is interviewing pseudo. I take it that it will take Juan most of the day.
At four I think Juan will let the court know if he is ready for the hearing or needs more time. If he is ready we will have the hearing tomorrow. If not Geffner will be on the stand.
This is just what my understanding is.

Considering the way things have gone, it'll be something like this:

4pm today: Announce penalty phase will convene at 10:30am tomorrow.
10:30am tomorrow: JSS continues with whatever other trials she is working.
11am: First sidebar.
11:15: Jury is brought in.
11:20: Second sidebar.
11:30: 5-minute recess.
11:30-noon: Long secret sidebar.
Noon: Jury is brought back in.
12:05: Another sidebar.
12:15: Break for 90-minute lunch.
2:10: End of lunch break; sidebar.
2:25: Jury is brought back in.
2:30: JSS announces court is done for the day.

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

:winner::winner::winner: We have a Winner ... you got it !!!

Can a judge request to step down?

Only if there is a conflict of interest, like Judge Strickland did in the Casey Anthony case. JSS has no reason to do so, nor should she!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member