Wrongful Death Suit filed Nov. 13, 2013 in California, #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The case you are referring to is old. From 2008, and has nothing to do with the Zahau suicide. Now if Shacknai and Luber were suing the Zahaus, that would be news!

Interesting, I am very curious which party requested the Ex Parte and the reason?

ETA - The ROA is still not showing a case management statement filed by Nina. IANAL, but I would assume since there is a Case Management Conference scheduled for this Friday, Nina should have one filed before Friday?

New entry #75 on the San Diego ROA.

https://roa.sdcourt.ca.gov/roa/faces/CaseSearch.xhtml Case # 13-75418

Next scheduled on docket:

01/30/2015 01:30 PM C-69 Motion Hearing (Civil) - Motion for Protective Order

Nothing showing from the Case Management Conference from last Friday. I am assuming it went forward because it is not showing vacated? Nina did not file a case management statement, at least not one showing on the ROA. Now the Ex Parte has been vacated.

New entries on San Diego ROA.

Minute Order for the Case Management conference from 1-9-15, ROA #90 (bold by me):

Now being the time previously set for a Civil Case Management Conference in the above entitled cause,
counsel and/or parties appear as noted above and the hearing commences.

Counsel inform the Court that there is an Early Evaluation Hearing in a Federal case in about 8 weeks. A
determination of which case should be stayed pending resolution in the other case needs to be made.

The Court reschedules the following hearings:

Adam Shacknai's Demurrer is advanced pursuant to Court's motion to 05/01/2015 at 01:30PM before
Judge Katherine Bacal.

Nina Romano's Motion to Strike is advanced pursuant to Court's motion to 05/01/2015 at 01:30PM
before Judge Katherine Bacal.

Nina Romano's Motion to Dismiss or Stay is advanced pursuant to Court's motion to 05/01/2015 at
01:30PM before Judge Katherine Bacal.

Civil Case Management Conference is continued to trail the above referenced hearings pursuant to
Court's motion to 5/01/2015 at 1:30PM before Judge Katherine Bacal.

Parties waive notice.

Plaintiff's Motion for Protective Order set for 1/30/2015 at 1:30PM is vacated.

DATE:

https://roa.sdcourt.ca.gov/roa/face...OA-90_01-09-15_Minute_Order_1421355376958.pdf

So, from this minute order, it seems now the legal ball is being metaphorically punted back to the federal case waiting to see what happens in the Early Evaluation Hearing, to see whether the state or federal case should proceed, if I understand that correctly. (And no guarantees that I did, lol!)

This whole method of 2 concurrent State and Federal cases for the exact same complaint seems VERY inefficient and cumbersome to me, and I wish I understood better why the system works this way. It seems like each could just keep on punting the case back and forth "forever" to avoid taking responsibility and make decisions to bring the case to conclusion. Sheesh! :gaah:

Items #85-90 on the ROA are just new scheduling items for May 2015, with no documents. I don't know why, but the sequencing of the numbers on the ROA went from entry #75 (the vacated ex parte) to item #85. I don't know if there are 9 items pending, or if there is some reason #76-84 were "skipped". Anyone else know?

https://roa.sdcourt.ca.gov/roa/faces/CaseSearch.xhtml

Case #13-75418

Can't answer your question. I would like to put in my :twocents: on why Dina has brought in the attorney from Phoenix. Just a gut feeling that he is in cahoots with Jonah. Jonah wants someone in that court room reporting directly to him so he knows exactly what is going on. IMO. Yes, the attorney is only qualified in federal court, but he will hear from the grapevine and keep Jonah advised.IMO.

Now, who is Jonah so worried about - Adam, Dina, or himself?

Can't answer your question. I would like to put in my :twocents: on why Dina has brought in the attorney from Phoenix. Just a gut feeling that he is in cahoots with Jonah. Jonah wants someone in that court room reporting directly to him so he knows exactly what is going on. IMO. Yes, the attorney is only qualified in federal court, but he will hear from the grapevine and keep Jonah advised.IMO.

Now, who is Jonah so worried about - Adam, Dina, or himself?

Welcome to discussion!

Doesn't sound right. According to insider, Jonah and Dina are estranged and Jonah wants no contact with Dina. He has also kept his older children away from Dina. So why would he provide a lawyer for Dina to use, and why would Dina accept his lawyer?

So, from this minute order, it seems now the legal ball is being metaphorically punted back to the federal case waiting to see what happens in the Early Evaluation Hearing, to see whether the state or federal case should proceed, if I understand that correctly. (And no guarantees that I did, lol!)

So when's early eval hearing?

New documents on PACER 1-15-15 for the Zahau federal case. Both are within docket entry #59.

Memorandum of Points and Authorities in Support of Plaintiffs' Motion to Stay Proceedings (filed by Plaintiff attorney Greer)

https://ecf.casd.uscourts.gov/doc1/03719553217

Thereafter, the parties were ordered to participate in an Early Neutral
Evaluation Conference set for December 9, 2014. (Docket No. 50). The parties
complied with the order, and one of the key topics discussed at the conference
with Magistrate Storms was how to resolve the fact that Plaintiffs had parallel
actions pending in State and Federal Court. (Greer Decl ¶ 5). After an in depth
discussion with the Magistrate, Plaintiffs’ counsel represented that Plaintiffs would request a stay of the Federal Court action, and Magistrate Storm ordered
that the papers supporting the motion to stay be filed by January 15, 2015. (Docket
No. 55).

Although Plaintiffs believe the State Court complaint was timely as to both
the claim by Ms. Zahau’s estate and the claim by her parents, the Defendants have
filed demurrers to the state court Complaint arguing, inter alia, that the claims are
time barred. (Greer Decl ¶ 4). The demurrers are set to be heard on May 1, 2015.
(Greer Decl ¶ 4). If the Defendants’ motions are successful, the only remaining
claim relating to Ms. Zahau’s death will be the wrongful death claim pending in
this court, which was indisputably timely filed and within the jurisdiction of this
court. (Greer Decl ¶4). Thus, Plaintiffs risk severe prejudice if they dismiss the
federal court action prior to resolution of the state court action, including
expiration of the time to appeal any final orders of the state court. (Greer Decl ¶4).

Although dismissal of the federal court action could severely prejudice the
claim of Ms. Zahau’s parents, proceeding with discovery and trial in both actions
would cause unnecessary expense to all parties and both courts, and create the
possible of conflicting verdicts. Thus, Plaintiffs have elected to stay this action.
Since the state court action involves all claims arising from Ms. Zahau’s death, the
matter can be completely resolved in state court. Conversely, even if the federal
case was resolved, the claim of Ms. Zahau’s estate would still need to be handled
in the state court action, conceivably resulting in two trials. And lastly, at this
point there has not been any discovery in the federal court action, whereas
thousands of pages of documents have been exchanged and depositions have
already been taken in the state court action. (Greer Decl ¶7). It is likely that by the
time this motion is heard, all parties will have been deposed in the state court
action. (Greer Decl ¶7). Accordingly, Plaintiffs respectfully submit that the most
prudent and appropriate course is to stay these proceedings pending final
resolution of the state court action.

Declaration of C. Keith Greer:

https://ecf.casd.uscourts.gov/doc1/03719553218

5. This issue was raised with Magistrate Storms at the Early Neutral
Evaluation Conference on December 9, 2014. After an in depth discussion with
the Magistrate Storms, Plaintiffs’ counsel represented that Plaintiffs would request
a stay of the Federal Court action, and Magistrate Storm ordered that the papers
supporting the motion to stay be filed by January 15, 2015.

6. In deciding which of the two actions to stay, I analyzed the factors
presented in various published opinions cited in Plaintiffs’ supporting papers.
Specifically, I believe that the following facts support staying the federal action:

First, solely California law is implicated in both the state and federal action. Thus,
the state court has jurisdiction to rule on all the claims that are presented. Second,
proceeding with a single action clearly promotes judicial economy as it avoids
duplication of discovery and judicial resources. Third, the parties can get complete
relief in the state court action, whereas if the state court action were stayed, the
survivor action for which the federal court refused jurisdiction would still need to
be tried. Fourth, the parties in the federal action are also in the state court action,
the Defendants are identical and the federal claim Plaintiffs are also parties to the
state court action. Fifth, disposition will be prompt in state court since at the recent
case management conference Superior Court Judge Katherine Bacal was setting
trials in September 2015. Sixth, Superior Court is just as convenient to the parties,
counsel and witnesses as Federal Court, since the two courthouses are across the
street from the other. And lastly, there is no prejudice to any party if the federal
court action is stayed.

7. The status of the proceedings also weighs in favor of staying this
action, since no discovery has been undertaken in the federal action, whereas the
state court action is in full swing, with written discovery being demanded and
responded to, thousands of pages of documents exchanged, several depositions
taken, seven more depositions scheduled in the next thirty days, and it is likely
that all parties will have been deposed by the time this motion is heard.
I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the State of California
that the foregoing is true and correct.

Executed this 15th day of January of 2015 in the City of San Diego, State of
California.

s/ C. Keith Greer, Esq.
C. Keith Greer, Esq.,
Declarant
DECLARATION OF C. KEITH GREER, ESQ. IN SUPPORT OF
PLAINTIFFS' MOTION

I'm not exactly sure what's happening between the state and federal case! This request to stay proceedings arose from the Dec 9 ENE. But in light of yesterday's filing on the State case, I'm not sure what to make of it. Does this request to stay the proceedings send the case back to State court??

Welcome to discussion!

Doesn't sound right. According to insider, Jonah and Dina are estranged and Jonah wants no contact with Dina. He has also kept his older children away from Dina. So why would he provide a lawyer for Dina to use, and why would Dina accept his lawyer?

Sorry, I didn't phrase it correctly. You are correct in everything said regarding Jonah and Dina. When I typed that it was not with the thought of Jonah paying for the lawyer. On someone's recommendation that this Arizona lawyer was super, Dina hired him. There must be a better lawyer than this one, who is familiar with CA courts. This is an important fact. So, being he was from AZ, the red flags went up immediately.IMO. My thoughts are below the curve because I think Jonah is use to his money buying him favors, more directly, he is not an honest man! IMO.

As I see it, Jonah has a huge stake in this when it goes to trial - if it ever gets there. He is not the type to be sitting on the outside not knowing what is happening in the court room. I may be totally wrong, but I think Jonah knows more than he has ever alluded to. IMO.

Item #93 on San Diego ROA- Nina Romano adds an attorney.

https://roa.sdcourt.ca.gov/roa/faces/CaseSearch.xhtml

Anton C. Gerschler now listed along with previous attorney John D. Marino under Nina's representation

http://northcountylawfirm.com/ (not much there-- under construction, but there's a pic of the small office building)

Looks like Dina and Nina are running scared. Adding more attorneys. Most likely they figured their prior attys not worth their salt or unable to handle their crimes and potential convictions.

Happy January! :)

^^^Yeah, I agree.

For sure, the two things that may be their downfall, is their lying and feeble attempts at covering their a$$es AND Rebecca's injuries :notgood:

I almost (almost haha) feel for Nina, I get the sense, that 'twin' has been cleaning up after her sister all her life.

New claims in 2011 Coronado mansion death

Team 10 is uncovering new details about claims made by the mother of Max Shacknai, the 6-year old boy who died in his father's Coronado mansion in 2011.

Investigator Melissa Mecija examined a lawsuit filed by Dina Shacknai, who claims her son said he was worried just weeks before he fell to his death.

Watch video for full report..

http://www.10news.com/news/investigations/new-claims-in-2011-coronado-mansion-death-01262015

Three and a half years later and Dina comes up with this.:facepalm:
Now she is suing Jonah..

Three and a half years later and Dina comes up with this.:facepalm:
Now she is suing Jonah..

So now all this is going to get REALLY interesting. Pretty soon, they'll all be suing each other.

Follow the $$$$$........because the lawyers are going to have all of it before this is through, IMO.

ETA: I asked Salem if we could have a separate thread for this lawsuit, to keep them all organized. Thank you, Carioca, for this breaking news.

Actually, as I re-watched the video, I stopped it to catch the lawsuit filing number. The one shown in the video is CV 2013-009289-- an old suit filed in 2013 by Dina against Jonah. There isn't a new lawsuit listed for 2015 on the Maricopa County site. So I'm a little confused at the media report-- is there actually a new lawsuit filed, or just "new accusations?" Maybe this is just a publicity release, because the case from 2013 was dismissed 1-22-15?

Here is a link to the Maricopa County site. I might have time later tonight to look into this, but maybe someone else can look around, too. (It's free to search-- no registration needed.) The latest entry is an order of dismissal, with prejudice, on 1-22-15. (with prejudice usually means the lawsuit can't be re-filed.)

http://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.gov/docket/CivilCourtCases/caseInfo.asp?caseNumber=CV2013-009289

http://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.gov/docket/CivilCourtCases/index.asp

Click on Civil Cases in left column, then put in Shacknai, Dina. Several cases pop up in the search, click on CV2013-009289.

Case number CV2013-009289 might not be new for 2015, but the original filing is a familiar date. 7-16-2013. Maxie passed away on 7-16-2011. Could this be a suit Dina filed to preserve the SOL in Maxie's death?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 119
Dina's attorney listed in the above suit, Daniel Benchoff, is the same attorney she added to the federal Zahau case.

Originally by K_Z
Arizona Attorney Daniel Benchoff was approved by Judge Whelan, to assist DS's local attorneys on the Federal WDS (which is currently stayed, as the State WDS proceeds), and entered today on the docket.

12/19/2014 58 ORDER Approving Pro Hac Vice. Added attorney Daniel Benchoff. Signed by Judge Thomas J. Whelan on 12/16/2014.(ag) (Entered: 12/19/2014)

https://www.pacer.gov/ Case 13-01624; Docket entry #58.

Hi all! Thanks everyone for the updates. I'm in the middle of a move so I haven't had time to look into this at all.
Does anyone else think it is very odd that this was never reported in MSM when DS filed a suit against JS? That it is only being reported now that it is dismissed? How do we find out why it was dismissed, did JS settle? If so is this DS' way of "proving" her theory of what happened to poor MS? Are there depositions, discovery?
Sorry for all the questions I just wanted to get them down before I'm distracted again by the move!
ALWAYS MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member