Found Deceased MA - Jaimee Mendez, 25, Swampscott, 6 Nov 2014 - #1 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Although his most recent employment was as a landscaper, according to the Lynn Police registered sex offender listing Jason Fleury was employed as a commercial fisherman in Swampscott

http://978web.com/lynnpolice1/fleury-j/

The open season for lobstering runs from May through December, so he technically could have had access to a boat, and possibly traps. Also, in Massachusetts lobster traps are required to have markings that show ownership

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dmf/laws-and-regulations/commercial-regulations/

If the trap/s found with her remains are a match to any company he ever worked for they may be able to make a connection. However, lobster traps are, for the most part, stored on docks and decks wherever one can find space, and not stored locked away or secured, so the traps could have come from any number of options.

On Wednesday, January 28th the high tide was not as high as it was the night she disappeared, but the storm surge was enormous.

For those of you with Facebook, this video from the Salem Maritime National Historic Site shows the storm surge (at 0:52 into the clip) the night her remains washed ashore, only a couple of miles away.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152551983371389&pnref=story

"Fleury said he was with his girlfriend later on the night of Nov. 6 and would not have had time to “hide a body so well in four hours so 700 people can’t find her,” referring to unsuccessful searches that have taken place this week in Salem, Lynn and Swampscott."

He apparently made this statement with confidence, because at the time all searches had been done on land, not sea? MOO.

I know there was discussion about whether or not Jaimee was ever actually at Rite Aid. I believe she was because it lines up with what her family said - that she left to pick up a western union, which is at rite aid. Also, this could just be a rumor and nothing more, one of the comments on the FB page claimed that a cashier had seen her that night. However, MSM has not reported this, nor have the police confirmed. From the looks of it, MSM is only reporting on what the family has given them - not on what LE has confirmed or said, which makes me think LE knows a lot more than anyone else (except for Jaimee and whoever killed her and/or disposed of her body).

Speaking of LE, the fact that they haven't arrested JF or labeled him as anything yet tells me that they do not currently have enough to convict him of anything. Perhaps they are waiting on autopsy reports. Not sure. But if their case against him was already strong enough, he would be behind bars right now. It really saddens me to think that this could somehow go unsolved.... I really hope they are close to a conviction. This is the first case I started following in WS, so it has a special place in my heart. I may not remember many of the murder cases I read about, but one thing's for sure: I will never forget Jaimee Mendez.

"Fleury said he was with his girlfriend later on the night of Nov. 6 and would not have had time to “hide a body so well in four hours so 700 people can’t find her,” referring to unsuccessful searches that have taken place this week in Salem, Lynn and Swampscott."

He apparently made this statement with confidence, because at the time all searches had been done on land, not sea? MOO.

Wow! Great information in your posts above. Thank you. I agree. At the time he said it seemed like a boast to me, such confidence, and his fishing background and all.

I do think he may have been cut short somehow, by weather, or the realization that people were onto him. Could somebody have called him and told him that people were looking for him?

Could he have walked through the woods unseen later and dumped the evidence (Jiamee's ID, jacket, cell phone and charger) near Tech. Way to distract? It would have been just as easy to drive there but he would have risked detection by security cams at the office park.

I know there was discussion about whether or not Jaimee was ever actually at Rite Aid. I believe she was because it lines up with what her family said - that she left to pick up a western union, which is at rite aid. Also, this could just be a rumor and nothing more, one of the comments on the FB page claimed that a cashier had seen her that night. However, MSM has not reported this, nor have the police confirmed. From the looks of it, MSM is only reporting on what the family has given them - not on what LE has confirmed or said, which makes me think LE knows a lot more than anyone else (except for Jaimee and whoever killed her and/or disposed of her body).

Speaking of LE, the fact that they haven't arrested JF or labeled him as anything yet tells me that they do not currently have enough to convict him of anything. Perhaps they are waiting on autopsy reports. Not sure. But if their case against him was already strong enough, he would be behind bars right now. It really saddens me to think that this could somehow go unsolved.... I really hope they are close to a conviction. This is the first case I started following in WS, so it has a special place in my heart. I may not remember many of the murder cases I read about, but one thing's for sure: I will never forget Jaimee Mendez.

I don't think this one will go unsolved. I think when the lab tests are all done LE will have some answers they've been waiting on. It wouldn't surprise me one bit, if it turns out the person who did this is someone no one ever suspected.

Although his most recent employment was as a landscaper, according to the Lynn Police registered sex offender listing Jason Fleury was employed as a commercial fisherman in Swampscott

The open season for lobstering runs from May through December, so he technically could have had access to a boat, and possibly traps. Also, in Massachusetts lobster traps are required to have markings that show ownership

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dmf/laws-and-regulations/commercial-regulations/

If the trap/s found with her remains are a match to any company he ever worked for they may be able to make a connection. However, lobster traps are, for the most part, stored on docks and decks wherever one can find space, and not stored locked away or secured, so the traps could have come from any number of options.

Commercial Regulations Tables from The Official Website of the Executive Office of Energy and En.jpg from your link

Could the Jan 1 date, the end of the season, have seen some change in the status of how the lobster traps may have been tethered, thus made them more vulnerable to the storm? Somebody bringing their boat in or something?

The tide was near peak highs for the month in Lynn Harbor that night, and was at its second daily high at 10:42PM.

http://www.boatma.com/tides/archives/tides.pl?type=calendar&location=Lynn Lynn Harbor&month=Nov

Massachusetts Marine Trades Association.png From your link:

So it was a full moon, but overcast, misty, foggy and raining most of the night, which may have made it easier for him to have gone unseen?

"Could the Jan 1 date, the end of the season, have seen some change in the status of how the lobster traps may have been tethered, thus made them more vulnerable to the storm? Somebody bringing their boat in or something?"

Lobster traps are set tied to each other, and also to buoys. If there are enough traps in a line then a buoy is placed at each end. Use of buoys and traps is regulated by law.

Buoys are marked for personal identification using colors, stripes, etc. The buoys float, so when you're ready to pull your traps, you hook the buoy that is yours, and haul the line in with the attached traps. People know which buoys are theirs, and do not mess with another person's buoys/traps. In addition, the boat must display the buoy colors where they are visibile. From the link above:
"Boats for lobstering must display the licensee's buoy colors on each side of the hull(or upon panels attached to each side of the hull), or upon a single panel attached to the top of the bow or by mounting a buoy at least 11" long, 4" diameter with licensee's colors, upright, at least 6" above the roof of the boat."

In this case, however, I don't imagine a buoy was used, because the intention was for the trap to never be found. MOO. There may or may not have been a rope attached, because there was footage of the police pulling on a rope that was in the sand the day she was found, although the rope was not immediately next to the sea wall, where the traps were found.

I find it interesting that there were two traps, and would like to know if/how closely they were tied to each other. Were they marked as owned by the same person? Traps are lost at sea all the time, and it is not unusual for one or two to wash ashore over the course of a year.

"So it was a full moon, but overcast, misty, foggy and raining most of the night, which may have made it easier for him to have gone unseen?"

That is my belief, as well.

One question I had was, in November would there still be boats out on the water? If the fishing season lasts through end of December, then the answer would be yes. I cannot find a date on the file, but the following indicates there are only 20 commercial fishing vessels registered in Swampscott:
http://www.harbormasters.org/cities/swampscott.shtml

The Harbormaster's headquarters are at the foot of the pier, but I don't know (yet) what their normal working hours are. There does not appear to be any other location at which commercial boats work from in Swampscott.

Here is a picture of Fisherman's Pier, looking out towards sea:
http://patch.com/massachusetts/swampscott/pier-float-back-on-the-water

"Could the Jan 1 date, the end of the season, have seen some change in the status of how the lobster traps may have been tethered, thus made them more vulnerable to the storm? Somebody bringing their boat in or something?"

Lobster traps are set tied to each other, and also to buoys. If there are enough traps in a line then a buoy is placed at each end. Use of buoys and traps is regulated by law.

Buoys are marked for personal identification using colors, stripes, etc. The buoys float, so when you're ready to pull your traps, you hook the buoy that is yours, and haul the line in with the attached traps. People know which buoys are theirs, and do not mess with another person's buoys/traps. In addition, the boat must display the buoy colors where they are visibile. From the link above:
"Boats for lobstering must display the licensee's buoy colors on each side of the hull(or upon panels attached to each side of the hull), or upon a single panel attached to the top of the bow or by mounting a buoy at least 11" long, 4" diameter with licensee's colors, upright, at least 6" above the roof of the boat."

In this case, however, I don't imagine a buoy was used, because the intention was for the trap to never be found. MOO. There may or may not have been a rope attached, because there was footage of the police pulling on a rope that was in the sand the day she was found, although the rope was not immediately next to the sea wall, where the traps were found.

I find it interesting that there were two traps, and would like to know if/how closely they were tied to each other. Were they marked as owned by the same person? Traps are lost at sea all the time, and it is not unusual for one or two to wash ashore over the course of a year.

Thank you, again. I think you're right about the intention being that she never be found. What do you think the reaction of the fishing community in Lynn and Swampscott will be to this news? If there are fishermen or boaters who know about this RSO's activities in general, that may help hone in on information pertaining to that night, would they clam up or get in touch with LE or wait for LE to come to them? Since, may she rest in peace, Jaimee Mendez's remains were found against that sea wall, it seems to have opened many more avenues for the investigation that were not based on an agenda set by the perp who did this.

"So it was a full moon, but overcast, misty, foggy and raining most of the night, which may have made it easier for him to have gone unseen?"

That is my belief, as well.

One question I had was, in November would there still be boats out on the water? If the fishing season lasts through end of December, then the answer would be yes. I cannot find a date on the file, but the following indicates there are only 20 commercial fishing vessels registered in Swampscott:
http://www.harbormasters.org/cities/swampscott.shtml

The Harbormaster's headquarters are at the foot of the pier, but I don't know (yet) what their normal working hours are. There does not appear to be any other location at which commercial boats work from in Swampscott.

Here is a picture of Fisherman's Pier, looking out towards sea:
http://patch.com/massachusetts/swampscott/pier-float-back-on-the-water

Had found this image of what looks like the off-season

Attachments

• Nearest Boat Launch and Pier - Edited.jpg
    Nearest Boat Launch and Pier - Edited.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 134
Thank you for all this information. It just makes me so sad to think about how the RSO may have done all this, as I don't believe she had anyone else to fear that night. Do you think he had enough time? I do. He may have not had the time to go out far enough to account for such a big storm. He would also have had to make sure nobody else stumbled onto his traps.

With how furious the seas were in that storm, I'm not sure there IS such a thing as out far enough. If you lived here on the north shore seaside as I do, you'd know what I mean! When I heard of someone discovering remains, I actually thought of that little girl missing from near here in Gloucester who is thought to perhaps have been swept out to sea. I think it would be unlikely for her to have traveled from Gloucester down to Swampscott given the shape of the coastline and such, but that case was what came to mind before Jaimee.

Thank you boston_baby for your informative post :tyou: It's great having someone who was a local to Swampscott to give us a better sense of the area. From what I have read it does seem certain areas are more vulnerable to crime than others.

I can't speak for all but agree the RSO should be #1 on the list of suspects but the lack of MSM/LE attention on him is so confusing :banghead:

Can you share any information about the strip of beach (King's Beach) where Jaimee was found? Is it known to be a place to party/illegal activities and is there any commercial fishing that happens in the area other than lobster traps? TIA and again thanks for your post!!! :)

I wouldn't say Swampscott is more prone to crime at all. It's a very white-collar town with few social problems. Lynn (and Salem), right next door, is an entirely different story. Swampscott is one of those towns where the cops will pull you over just to see what you're doing and because they've had a long, boring night on the speed traps.

I think I described King's beach very well in one of my other recent posts, but it's a very flat, and very exposed beach. Nowhere to hide, really.

Yep, you're completely right. Would any of those places have security cams do you think? Thank you, again, for sharing what you know.

"they say she was last seen in a Rite Aid in Lynn on Thursday night. Police are sifting through surveillance video from the store looking for clues."

She called two friends, a length time apart, from two different places, IIRC, the second call was near his house, I assume, as that may have been how the family would have tracked him down perhaps.

In that neighborhood, yeah, I would think most businesses would have security cams. Just supposition.

Great information. Thanks you very much, boston_baby.

What do you know of the pier near there? In November, I imagine there wouldn't be that many boats ready to launch, or in the water?

There would be quite a few, actually. People would have pulled their pleasure boats by that point except for a few stragglers, but plenty of fishing boats still in and operating

Wow! Great information in your posts above. Thank you. I agree. At the time he said it seemed like a boast to me, such confidence, and his fishing background and all.

I do think he may have been cut short somehow, by weather, or the realization that people were onto him. Could somebody have called him and told him that people were looking for him?

Could he have walked through the woods unseen later and dumped the evidence (Jiamee's ID, jacket, cell phone and charger) near Tech. Way to distract? It would have been just as easy to drive there but he would have risked detection by security cams at the office park.

From where he lives - I am going off old posts' information here -- behind the CVS, you can actually walk (although yeah, it would be a bit of a hike, but nothing unreasonable -- less than a mile is my estimation, all through woods) from his home to the woods area where the items were found. I used to live very nearby myself and could have made that hike any day of the week if I had wanted to, and had some friends and family right in the vicinity of the CVS.

Thank you, again. I think you're right about the intention being that she never be found. What do you think the reaction of the fishing community in Lynn and Swampscott will be to this news? If there are fishermen or boaters who know about this RSO's activities in general, that may help hone in on information pertaining to that night, would they clam up or get in touch with LE or wait for LE to come to them? Since, may she rest in peace, Jaimee Mendez's remains were found against that sea wall, it seems to have opened many more avenues for the investigation that were not based on an agenda set by the perp who did this.

Had found this image of what looks like the off-season

Even not in the offseason, it's not like it's some bustling harbor. Swampscott harbor has plenty of lobsterers, but the Fish House is not a hopping place almots anytime really. The pier is not a mooring pier. It's more of a "live parking" kind of pier, where you pull your boat up, unload onto the dock, drive you boat to its mooring, row into shore, and then go fetch your stuff from the dock.

Even not in the offseason, it's not like it's some bustling harbor. Swampscott harbor has plenty of lobsterers, but the Fish House is not a hopping place almots anytime really. The pier is not a mooring pier. It's more of a "live parking" kind of pier, where you pull your boat up, unload onto the dock, drive you boat to its mooring, row into shore, and then go fetch your stuff from the dock.

Thank you boston_baby for all this first hand knowledge of the place. You and HCOM have posted nice hard info. So, to get to a place to dispose of her, and to locate the pots where they would be hard to come across by other fishermen (it always hurts to think this and write it, so not done callously), the perp's most likely choices would be to get to a moored boat with traps?

While there ARE some traps stored in the parking area of Fisherman's Beach (can't speak for the other marinas in Lynn), most lobsterers store their pots at their homes or elsewhere. Mostly they aren't stored at all, except in the offseason. They're in the water then. It would be not all that likely (but I wouldn't say impossible) to find a random trap lying around to steal and use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove