VA - Anjelica "AJ" Hadsell, 18, Norfolk, 3 March 2015 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
JMO...
WH bends the truth to make it work for him. He has little regard for the police and the law. He thinks he can do things better and faster than others. He thinks he's smarter than others. He's never learned to filter his words.

WH speaks in prison speak, always making sure to cover his own tail. He's an ex-con and talks and acts like one. He's aware that someone might point a finger at him whether he's done something wrong or not so he's constantly on the defensive.

I don't think much of WH. Understatement. But here's what trips me up when I think about him being involved in AJ's disappearance:

Motive.

What motive would he have? He may be unsavory but unless there's stuff we don't know about he's managed to stay clean and hold a job for the last five years or so. Why mess that up?

The only two scenarios I can come up with where he might have harmed AJ is either an unintentional act or revenge. And so far there's no evidence for either.

So I'm trying to spend some time thinking about other possibilities, like AJ leaving on her own. Or with someone. Or being snatched by some unknown bad person. When her clothes were allegedly found it crossed my mind that she may have been hitchhiking south and ran into the wrong driver.

I dunno. The world can be a scary place for young women. It breaks my heart that there are so many things that could have gone wrong for AJ. I hope that she's holed up somewhere, safe and sound. :(

I am not sure that he really stayed that clean. He had ammo for a 9 mm in his hotel. That means he RECENTLY had possession of a gun. And he admitted to breaking into that home. And I highly doubt it happened the way he is saying. No way the kid 'hid' a balled up jacket in the couch cushion that his parents sat on every day. That is BS, imo.

And something broke the family up, and I am going to GUESS that it was something he had done. I am going to GUESS that it was either his bad temper blowing up and/or drug relapse. I do not believe he was a changed mind that was suddenly a goody two shoes.

As to motive--I can think of a few. [Did you read the lyrics of the 'lets get Crackin song?' ] It could have been lust. Sad but true that too many stepfathers end up harming their children.

Or maybe she knew something and stood up to Wes--maybe something that could send him back to jail?

He has a very long criminal record. It is more likely he would reoffend than less likely. Statistically speaking.

Okay regrouping here for a minute... based on recent information from Zach we know:

1. AJ was physically seen in the morning by mom and siblings. She appeared to be in good spirits.

2. AJ was not using the red truck to travel to and from school. Mom or J drove her.

3. Parents were separated for a while prior to AJ going missing.

Is this correct?

My daughter and AJ played softball and were on the swim team together in HS. I can honestly say that her boyfriend is the kindest, gentlest and most thoughtful human being I have ever met. I guarantee he is crushed and blaming himself for no being able to protect her from whatever the situation is. Angelica is just like him and a perfect match IMO. Both are kind, gentle souls. He has never been much of a social media person so him not posting anything does not surprise me,

I'm sorry to say this, but after watching and re-watching AJ's mom, and considering what Zach has so bravely shared, it just seems to me she must be going through a torrent of emotions, so her focus of wanting AJ back is super admirable. My heart breaks for her, and I admire that she is trying to hold it together. I hope she makes it easier for herself and works directly with LE in her public outreach to help focus the public on how they can best help.

The times and places they should try to remember more specifically which may have meant the most to AJ or others in her circle would help, I would imagine. Solid information to help the public help AJ's mom, sisters and loved ones find her, help her friends know what to think, or what to do to help, safely. As things stand, it may be too soon for AJ's mom with all that she needs to hold together and being able to know where to focus, with the emotional distance these circumstances may require. Wesley is in jail, so the investigation has more breathing room, for now it seems to me.

OK all caught up . First let me say welcome Zach . Thank you for taking the time to join up and having your say . I know what you're going through must be incredibly hard . prayers and good vibes for You AJ and your family

Zach,

If LE had any indication from any evidence they've collected that his could possibly be a random stranger who took advantage of AJ, then it would have been likely that they would have issued some public warning for others to avoid the same, I'm sorry to say, in not thinking this had anything to do with AJ wanting a Go Pro.

Do you know if Wesley timeline, is known and confirmed, for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, after or even before that? Has he cooperated with LE, have those who may know and are able to confirm the where and when of Wesley's activities cooperated with LE, from what you know or can guess?

That is a valid point about police letting the public know. Unless they just didn't know. They always stated 'no signs of foul play'. As far as cooperation, I wish I knew. I pleaded with the police to confirm with me that Wes was ruled out so that I could let my daughters go back over there without worry. But then of course I had to wonder it could still be somebody else and they were still dangerous to my girls. So needless to say I was keeping an eye on the Hadsell household when my daughters were there, not that I could watch 24/7.

Craigslist or unknown Abductee theory

We did explore this early on in the discussion, in Thread 2 I think (along with many other angles) and threw it out because the evidence is too inconsistent with that kind of scenario. As others here have said, there would also be at least one clue to this on her computer or phone, or friends who could have been near her. As far as we know, all friends have been looked at and cleared. This means they had a solid alibi or otherwise don't match what evidence LE does have.

The first question is, would AJ have used Craigslist? The feel I get with younger people is that it isn't as popular as it once was, and is known for being seedy.

With that said, let's still look it over in more detail as part of trying to put together Aj's activities that day. There are about 4 listings for a goPro on Norfolk Craigslist before March 3, only two of those she might have considered based on location or price. I am confident LE checked this out if they think it is relevant. If they do, they have probably asked Craigslist for logs so know if there were listings that have since expired or been deleted. It is worth mentioning that one of the listings stated a pickup location about 15 mins north of the search location off Battlefield and Volvo Parkway. There are other points of interest closer to that site, though.

A GoPro is not something that a trafficker would probably choose as a lure, since the listing is very specific and can easily expire before it gets any bites. They tend to choose things like rentals, roomates, iphones or other broader topics that they can more easily tailor to attract a certain type and which will get more hits. Chat rooms ae dating sites are more common than Craigslist IMO. Sex trafficking in particular tends to not resort to high-risk situations like classified or daytime abductions, and is not likely to target a girl like AJ that could trigger a high profile search (they go for girls with no connection, lower class, homeless, drug abusers, prostitutes, runaways, and especially under 18 and like to scope victims out first). I am confident the FBI are looking at this angle as hard as they can. Here are some resource that gives some astute information

https://sites.google.com/site/asocialepidemic/top-20-lures-into-sex-trafficking

http://www.traffickingresourcecenter.org/what-human-trafficking/human-trafficking/traffickers

The fact is, most victims that match a profile like AJs go missing as a result of someone they know. We believe LE have had ample time to fully clear all close connections to AJ, including her neighbor. All connections but one.

But let's look at the runaway angle before getting back to that point. Another missing persons case just recently in San Bernardino featured a young woman that went missing early in the morning one day, missing work and classes, her phone and laptop found in the bushes. Bloodhounds lost her trail at the street - she was taken in a car! LE was convinced she was abducted or killed by people she knew. But a couple weeks later, she saw herself on the news and called her father from a shelter in LA where she had escaped to take a break from issues she was dealing with. She never intended to stay missing.

Stories like these make it easy to believe it could be like that here. The primary difference, though, is that the evidence in this woman's case did not lead anywhere. It was a total mystery. LE also claimed how incredibly shocked they were at the outcome, as it is so very unlikely given what they had to go on.

To understand what it might take for AJ to disappear herself, we have to consider the things you would need to ponder before making that decision.
She would have to give up her academics and sports
She would be dropping her boyfriend and sisters, who she loved very much
She would have to swallow never speaking to her mother again, who she was close to
She would need access to a new identity or be absolved to living off the grid or dependent on someone else for a long time
She would have found a way to move money out of her account prior to taking off, at least in part. $200 from Wes is not enough for long
She would need transport and a plan

These are just not things I see her deciding on, given what we know about her. At least not this long. By now there is no way she would not be aware she is being looked for, adding another point to the list which is: She would have to not care how much pain she is causing people, and how much time and resources are being spent looking for her.

Consider the text received by her mother early in the AM 'I'm OK, I'm just not ready to come home yet."
If this was really her, then it implies she intended to take off, is safe, and is saying so. But then her phone goes dead and is never heard from again. If she took off voluntarily and had no issues telling her mom, she would have taken her phone charger or charged it again by now. I don't think she went as far as to cover up her tracks so expertly that the FBI haven't located her. You would only ever need to do that if you just committed a serious crime.

So you must think about WHY she might have done that. There is no reason we know of. At 18, she can get a restraining order against anyone quite easily. She had her own vehicle and can drive anywhere. She supposedly had 200$ and possibly more in the bank. She had no motive to go missing, but she did have the means.

I can't tell you how many hours I have stared at the ceiling thinking over the timelines and how things could have gone down. There is a reason for the basic procedures used in missing persons cases though, and if we follow them the trail leads us to one place.

Zach, I think you will find this resource useful and clarifying in how some of the thought processes you're witnessing work. Most of the talk around WH is dealing with the convoluted task of clearing up inconsistencies:
http://www.missingkids.com/en_US/publications/NC74.pdf

I think a good exercise now might be for us to put WH's statements in a box and approach the story without those variables. Where does it lead us?

1. AJ was last seen by her mother and sisters around 7AM March 2nd.
2. At 2:30PM, little sister texts AJ (ie "hey where are you") and AJ replies "With Friends ". Her truck is still in the driveway.
3. Sometime between 4:30AM and 5:30AM on March 3rd JH receives a text from AJ that she is OK, just not ready to come home yet.
4. At 9:15PM AJ still is not home and no one has heard from her since the text early in the morning. JH reports her missing.
5. Sometime on March 4, the neighbor found a piece of her debit card on Halprin Dr while walking back home from work.
6. Family and friend search the neighborhood on March 6th and find another part of the card
7. Wes breaks into the neighbor's house and claims he found AJ's jacket "balled up behind a couch cushion". Locals confirm the police were called to the house. LE did not confirm the jacket as being hers, but instead showed Wes pictures of some other items.
7. Between March 19 and March 21, police search a 3 mile radius around the Southern Packing Plant off Battlefield in Chesapeake and recover several items believed to belong to AJ.
8. Wes is arrested on March 20.

So here are the questions/comments that raises:

Were there other texts between AJ and JH between 2:30PM March 2 and 5:30AM March 3?
How did she leave the house?
Were her keys found at the house or are they missing? What other items may she have had at home are no longer there?
The neighbor was not arrested and we should assume he has been cleared by LE. Is there any other known possible reason he may be of interest?
The items reported by the media and reported on the scanner are in conflict. I can't comment on specifics but I question how the media knows exactly what was found after the fact when LE has not made a statement or confirmed the items are AJ's.

Vail, a simple click of the thank you button was SO not enough. All of us here have the same EXACT thoughts rumbling around in our brains but you layed it out VERY clearly and concise. I've followed AJ's case since day 1 but I'm also trying to run a business and a home at the same time. Both have fallen over the last couple of weeks and even as we sat at dinner tonight hubby asked "so, any news on AJ?" the kids all looked at me as I tried to briefly explain the updates of the day. We're not even family but even our kids know who AJ is. I suspect there are other WS members who know exactly what I'm talking about. These cases aren't just nameless/faceless people, they become family in a sense. We love them, we grieve with the parents, we want them HOME and safe! Vail's comment here pretty much sums up how much we invest our hearts, energy, time and resources.

Just had to say that. We love you AJ and we want you home and safe.

I don't think much of WH. Understatement. But here's what trips me up when I think about him being involved in AJ's disappearance:

Motive.

RSBM. Yes, I'm right with you. That's what I find so confusing, and I keep throwing wild theories around in my head, but nothing seems to fit. If it is WH, revenge seems most likely, but I'm not convinced.

That is a valid point about police letting the public know. Unless they just didn't know. They always stated 'no signs of foul play'. As far as cooperation, I wish I knew. I pleaded with the police to confirm with me that Wes was ruled out so that I could let my daughters go back over there without worry. But then of course I had to wonder it could still be somebody else and they were still dangerous to my girls. So needless to say I was keeping an eye on the Hadsell household when my daughters were there, not that I could watch 24/7.

OH MY. That must be so hard for you to deal with. :grouphug:

Zach,
One scenario that I have been working on includes AJ taking the Amtrak. Has there been any review of video from the stop in Norfolk? My reasoning is that the "sightings" in the neighborhood may not have been as accurate as you have mentioned timewise. Then there is the ping search that would be on a straight walk to the station. Could explain the $200 (not that I trust Wes much at all) but it is something to go on.

Likewise don't think that because people are mostly posting on Wes that that is all anyone is exploring. It is not too difficult to imagine him as being dumb enough to set himself up as a prime suspect. He may have been afraid of being caught up in the investigation because of something seedy he was doing and has now just tripped himself up so much from lying he can't get his facts straight.

Best wishes to you and I am hoping for the best.

Okay regrouping here for a minute... based on recent information from Zach we know:

1. AJ was physically seen in the morning by mom and siblings. She appeared to be in good spirits.

2. AJ was not using the red truck to travel to and from school. Mom or J drove her.

Is this correct?

My daughter and AJ played softball and were on the swim team together in HS. I can honestly say that her boyfriend is the kindest, gentlest and most thoughtful human being I have ever met. I guarantee he is crushed and blaming himself for no being able to protect her from whatever the situation is. Angelica is just like him and a perfect match IMO. Both are kind, gentle souls. He has never been much of a social media person so him not posting anything does not surprise me,

I'm sorry to say this, but after watching and re-watching AJ's mom, and considering what Zach has so bravely shared, it just seems to me she must be going through a torrent of emotions, so her focus of wanting AJ back is super admirable. My heart breaks for her, and I admire that she is trying to hold it together. I hope she makes it easier for herself and works directly with LE in her public outreach to help focus the public on how they can best help.

The times and places they should try to remember more specifically which may have meant the most to AJ or others in her circle would help, I would imagine. Solid information to help the public help AJ's mom, sisters and loved ones find her, help her friends know what to think, or what to do to help, safely. As things stand, it may be too soon for AJ's mom with all that she needs to hold together and being able to know where to focus, with the emotional distance these circumstances may require. Wesley is in jail, so the investigation has more breathing room, for now it seems to me.

OK all caught up . First let me say welcome Zach . Thank you for taking the time to join up and having your say . I know what you're going through must be incredibly hard . prayers and good vibes for You AJ and your family

Has anyone looked into any other missing girls from around that area or areas close to Norfolk ? . I'm thinking off of Zach's post . sex traffickers maybe ? AJ is a very pretty girl .

I am looking into this. I have told the police my thoughts every step of the way, including this one. I am asking WS to recall any cases they may remember where someone was taken via a Craigslist scam or similar. How are teens usually taken for these sex trafficking things? I know usually they are runaways and destitute or something, but I have also heard of just good kids being taken.

IMO, it goes along well with his 'Borderline' Personality. He seems to be a very charismatic, manipulative, controlling person. His ex-father-inlaw said there was a lot of domestic violence going on in his previous marriage. His wife left him and his response was to kidnap her and rape her, and hold her hostage for days.

There is also a 'forcible restraint' charge.arrest from his earlier years. That says to me that he is very controlling, aggressive and impulsive. Now that he was in a separation, he would be desperate, not calm, imo.

It is very hard to look away from him and focus on other unknown perps. Knowing that a man in AJ's immediate environment, who was the last who has admitted to seeing her, has a long history of Domestic Violence and kidnapping, when he is 'upset' ---really concerns me. It is hard to think that a teen neighbor, with no criminal history, is a bigger threat than a grown man with years of violent behavior in his past.
Not to mention throw in the charges he was recently arrested on!! He apparently has blatant disregard for laws and little hesitancy in breaking them. As a convicted felon I have no doubt he knew what a risk he was taking being in possession of 70 rounds of ammunition but had it anyway (and I'd love to know why).

I agree with you that he appears to be a controlling person and I also get the sense he's got a touch of narcissism about him. If I was LE, I'd be taking the closest look at the controlling, narcissistic, risk-taking, ex felon versus the young teen male that hasn't really aroused any suspicion at all; that I'm aware of anyway.

Is this correct?

A comment was made once on here at the beginning of this that one of her friends said she was going for a walk to blow off some steam. Do you know if this was every verified or happened?

have not heard that. nobody was home to see her go for a walk, unless she messaged somebody. I don't know.

Is this correct?

I gotta be honest here. I am 44 so maybe this is more a sign of the times than anything. But, when I was 18, no way in HELLO would my parents (and I grew up in a well-to-do family) be handing me that kind of money to buy a boyfriend a birthday present. Nope. No way. Nor would any of my friends parents have done this either. My oldest is 14 and I can't imagine giving him money to buy a girlfriend a present.

I don't believe this story for one second.

Wes can be generous with his money when he has it. Also, he was separated from his wife and us men tend to overcompensate when we're in the dog house, right? I don't know.

Unless they do think its WH and thats why they arrested him when they did to insure the safety of your girls ? Seemed strange they arrested him after the date he actually did it .
I just don't want to get stuck in one mindset about this and only focus on WH . Even though my thoughts go back to him ,or someone he knows . you're a good dad Zach don't let anyone tell you your not . I know this has to be crushing for you and yet youre here for AJ

I have something to say about WH's tattoos that may or may not be relevant. I did some researching into gang/group tattoos and it seems that there are a handful of people with that similar tattoo that are part of an Aryan brotherhood. Maybe it's possible that somebody is getting payback?

5 min fr home

Zach, you're a rock star. Just sayin'.

I know this has to be ripping your heart out, like it would any dad/mom/parent. I really feel like bawling like a 3 year old right now but just know, we're here for you. ALL THE WAY. God bless you and keep you, and give you strength, grace and mercy.

I have something to say about WH's tattoos that may or may not be relevant. I did some researching into gang/group tattoos and it seems that there are a handful of people with that similar tattoo that are part of an Aryan brotherhood. Maybe it's possible that somebody is getting payback?

Or it can be connected to a life of burglary and/or drugs. Like this particular individual.
http://www.ktbs.com/story/22334717/game-over-for-man-suspected-in-dozens-of-burglaries

Maybe he's not comfortable having the work van parked at a motel?

Maybe he was staying at a second rate motel that doesn't have a safe parking lot for a business vehicle loaded with tools.

It is baffling. Does he really think he should be 'notified' by Forensics when they are 'out doing things'---he surely is controlling. It may work on some people, but the Homicide Team is not going to go for it.

This may go a long way toward explaining why he's been the "spokesperson" for the family since day 1, essentially. Hopefully now that he's neatly out of the way in LE custody, we'll see things more clearly, and with less Word Salad.

Maybe he's staying at a second rate motel that doesn't have a safe parking lot for a business vehicle loaded with tools.
I can vouch that motel is as sketchy as it comes. A lot of prostitutes and their pimps frequent that particular motel. Definitely not somewhere you would want to take your family overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Polkaroo9