RDI Theories & Discussion ONLY!

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I’ve been reviewing some of the posts of the last week and decided to place a summary of information about JonBenet’s prior sexual abuse, particularly in light of some of the gaps of knowledge about the subject.

It’s pretty clear that one of the biggest (though certainly not the only!) flashpoints in the case between IDI/ABAR and RDI is the subject of prior abuse. Although Beckner disassociated the abuse from JonBenet’s death (maybe primarily because it could not be proven who had perpetrated the abuse), he did state the prior abuse as a fact in his AMA on Reddit. With the topic of SBP and Kolar’s review of experts’ conclusions, I believe I know what Kolar thought.

All of us have seen the various arguments pointing away from abuse. I won’t list them all, but just as a reminder there were these: The inflammation to her vagina from bubble baths, bedwetting, masturbation, poor wiping habits, yeast infections, certain medical conditions, just an abnormal hymen, etc.

(BTW, regards the issue of an abnormal hymen, cynic has posted a couple times the studies of the difference in horizontal transhymenal diameter in prepubertal girls with definitive evidence of penetration trauma compared to the genitalia of alleged victims who show no definitive physical signs of acute or chronic penetration trauma to genital tissues. http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...y-Project-Rebuttal-(Non-Intruder-Posters-Only Post #4)

So-o, much of what I will list here comes from the heavy lifting of posters like cynic, otg, SuperDave, LinasK and a few others. There are several discussions of behavioral signs of abuse, but in the interest of some semblance of brevity, I’ll leave that for another time. Foreign Faction gives the best overview of the indications of the prior abuse.

From FF: Coroner Meyer met with Dr. Andy Sirontak, chief of Denver Children’s Child Protection Team. The inspection by Sirontak confirmed what Meyer had observed. Further inspection revealed that the hymen was shriveled and retracted, a sign that JonBenét had been subjected to some type of sexual contact prior to the date of her death. Dr. Sirontak could not provide an opinion as to how old those injuries were or how many times JonBenét may have been assaulted and would defer to the expert opinions of other medical examiners.

The members of the abuse review team who furnished their expert opinions to the BPD were
Dr. David Jones, professor of preventative medicine and biometrics at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center;
Dr. James Monteleone, professor of pediatrics at St. Louis University School of medicine and director of child protection for Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital;
and Dr. John McCann, a clinical professor of medicine at the University of California at Davis.
Two others who reviewed the photos and tissue slides from her vaginal area were Dr. Cyril Wecht and Dr. Ronald Wright, formerly the medical examiner for the Fort Lauderdale area.

Dr. McCann was considered one of the top experts in evaluating sexual abuse in children, highly respected for his work in this arena. Among his achievements in the field of child abuse, McCann established the standards for what is considered normal and abnormal in child and adolescent examinations. He also developed the "multi-method" examination approach that is now used throughout the western world. McCann not only gave seminars to physicians and coroners about how to recognize abuse, but he was also fiercely committed to accuracy and integrity in the evaluation of it to prevent false allegations against any parents or caretakers.

There were no dissenting opinions among the review team that there was any other conclusion about JB’s injuries other than abuse.

Non-committal opinions were raised by
-- Dr. Michael Doberson (famous for his stun-gun theories) who believed more information was necessary to come to a conclusion of abuse;
-- Dr. Werner Spitz who only cited the acute injury, i.e., the paintbrush injury near the time of death; he did not specifically address the chronic abuse, suggesting that an opinion about it was unclear;
--and Dr. Richard Krugman, Dean of the CU Health Sciences program, stated, “I don't believe it's possible to tell whether any child is sexually abused on physical findings alone.” Krugman added that the presence of semen, evidence of a STD, or the child's medical history combined with the child's own testimony were the only ways to confirm sexual abuse. (His opinion was widely derided by some of the abuse advisory team.)

Before I add an analysis of the autopsy by Wecht, one more observation. Many of these abuse experts reference tissue slides in their analyses. My understanding is that this is because under a microscope a physician, coroner, pathologist can determine whether the tissues have been freshly injured, or if they are old injuries and are in a stage of healed or healing.

As for Dr. Wecht, he pulled no punches Here is an excerpt from an interview given several years ago.

"Let's talk now about the external genitalia, let's talk about the injuries...The injuries are for the most part old, they're chronic. A good part of the hymen is, is absent, and that's an old, old phenomenon, it's been there for a while. Then the pathologist report, and I'm taking it right from the autopsy report. He reports, superficial erosion of the vaginal mucosa, that's the lining, the delicate lining of the vaginal canal, at the 7 o'clock position, and that's been there for a while, that's not acute. And then he finds microscopically, chronic inflammation, under the microscope. That means it's been there for days, and could be longer than days, but it's not fresh . . .”

The AR statement of the 7 o'clock position, as mentioned above, is "highly suggestive of sexual abuse,” according to Wecht.

I apologize if this is all repetitive, especially to those who’ve been with the forum for a while. I simply wanted to gather it up to provide a summary of why Beckner and Kolar have drawn their conclusions. I leave it to anyone else to evaluate the subject in the context of these experts’ opinions. Respectfully, draw your own conclusions. I have.

We know that the basement window was found open on the morning of December 26, and the butler pantry door, whcih led to the outside, was found unlocked and open. Most likely the killer entered or left by one of these routes. (DOI, pg 366)

One could say that John is talking about himself here. After all, didn't he admit to entering the home via the basement window?

From Patsy's June,23,1998 police interview

" 3 TOM HANEY: And understanding that
4 they are close friends, but did you think that,
5 give any thought to having all this traffic
6 coming over?
7 PATSY RAMSEY: No.
8 TOM HANEY: Folks coming to the
9 house?
10 PATSY RAMSEY: No.
11 TOM HANEY: You had gotten through
12 that portion of the note that talked about don't
13 call the police, the FBI?
14 PATSY RAMSEY: Right.
15 TOM HANEY: We are watching you or
16 something like that?
17 PATSY RAMSEY: I know."

http://www.acandyrose.com/1998BPD-Patsy-Interview-Complete.htm

Thats what she said in her first interview, that she gave no thought to the ramifications of calling police and friends over based on the warnings in the ransom note. In fact she is adamant that at that point she never read that far in to the note. However, in her second interview her story is much different.

1 by that time.
2 Anyway, got the message across, she
3 said she would send somebody out, and oh, God in
4 heaven. Oh, then I phone -- called our friends,
5 Mr. and Mrs. Fleet White and Mr. and
6 Mrs. Johnson, they live in Boulder. I think
7 John went back up to get dressed.
8 And I called them and told them
9 that she's been kidnapped, she is missing. And
10 then I walked out through here, and opened the
11 door, and started waiting for -- front door --
12 started waiting for the police to show up.
13 (INAUDIBLE).
14 I was standing on the (INAUDIBLE)
15 and pretty soon a squad car came -- you know,
16 officer came up. And I remember thinking
17 because it said somewhere in the note, if you do
18 that, if you call somebody, that's not good.
19 Blah, blah, blah. And I just remembered
20 thinking oh, my God, I hope they are not
21 watching me. I mean, what if they are watching,
22 if the policeman comes,
I mean all this was just
23 rushing through my head.

23 PATSY RAMSEY: I said -- I said --
24 I am not sure if I told him -- I just can't
25 remember what I told. "Oh, please, you got to
1 come, please can you bring someone over" or
2 something. I don't remember.
3 TOM HANEY: And understanding that
4 they are close friends, but did you think that,
5 give any thought to having all this traffic
6 coming over?
7 PATSY RAMSEY: No.
8 TOM HANEY: Folks coming to the
9 house?
10 PATSY RAMSEY: No.
11 TOM HANEY: You had gotten through
12 that portion of the note that talked about don't
13 call the police, the FBI?
14 PATSY RAMSEY: Right.
15 TOM HANEY: We are watching you or
16 something like that?
17 PATSY RAMSEY: I know.

18 TOM HANEY: How long does it take
19 for them to get over there?
20 PATSY RAMSEY: Well, it would have
21 been just pretty quick.
22 TOM HANEY: How much after the
23 arrival of the first officer?
24 PATSY RAMSEY: Not much. Just, I
25 don't know, 15 minutes, you know.

I’ve been reviewing some of the posts of the last week and decided to place a summary of information about JonBenet’s prior sexual abuse, particularly in light of some of the gaps of knowledge about the subject...

(rsbm for brevity, but linked for reference)

How did I miss this excellent post until now? Thank you, qft, for an excellent summary.

Let me add, or point out, that of the three "Non-committal opinions" you note, none of them excluded prior sexual abuse -- they simply couldn't conclude it (which, I know, is what "non-committal" means). No one (except for a minority of posters here) has ruled out or disputed the possibility of it. And ALL of the members of the group who were given access to ALL of the information and evidence did come away with the opinion that there was prior sexual abuse (according to reports). And because of his history, Dr. McCann's opinion should certainly carry more weight than anyone's.

How did I miss this excellent post until now? Thank you, qft, for an excellent summary.<snipp>ed for brevity

Yes, thank-you qft. If that summary doesn't convince doubters then nothing will.

I guess I was out to lunch with otg because I also didn't see it until just now. :blushing:

There are several reasons that come to mind for me, derekj72. andreww named two of them. To those two, I would add a this:

3) they (or at least one of them) couldn't bear the idea of JB decaying out in the elements. PR wouldn't have been able to brag about how beautiful JB looked in her coffin that way.

I'very always wondered if LA were bringing in tracking dogs which would of led them straight to the wine celler. If so, Jon Benet had to be found before the did. In the Bonita papers Pasty asked John twice about brushes on JonBenet's arms. He told her there no bruises on her arms.

Patsy or someone had been leaving bruises on JonBenet's arms for the last eighteen months of her life.

At one time or another I’ve mentioned that it was originally difficult to consider Kolar’s inference of BR’s involvement. (I’ve heard a few others alluding to a similar resistance because of his age.) While I never claim to know all the details, during the time spent evaluating the death of JB, it has seemed more and more like a family crime with all of them contributing to it. I’m not sure why it was easier to look at the adult dysfunction, than to review a child’s attitudes and defiance. Perhaps it’s just a desire to believe in innocence during childhood, than to accept the signs of serious behavioral issues in a child.

Anyway, the household residents that night took the oath of the three musketeers: All for one and one for all.

As an ordinary observer of behavior I know that motivations may be complex. Pretty clear from their dedication to image, that both Patsy and JR would have been mortified if the household dynamics (‘secret’ as BR indicated in his interview) ever became known. Not only did they not want others to know what went on behind closed doors, but they also could not acknowledge their shadow sides to themselves after the homicide. But there is one more very important fact. This relates to legal issues. Both of them could have faced some real legal repercussions, like jail time for child abuse, or maybe even harsher charges. (BTW, prosecutor Kane developed the possible charges which the GJ then evaluated and chose, not vice versa.) Separating out the Rs’ concerns about public image, their internal motivations to maintain a perfect self-image, and their desire to avoid responsibility and potential jail time, isn’t easy to do.

Tawny on another thread listed a number of thought processes at play that night, and ITA. Connecting motivations to Kolar’s theory of the crime, one can also understand the following behavior: the idea that a parent might plunge into a situation in order to save a child. Who knows, one or both adult Rs somehow figured it was the best of all options to cover up the crime. We’ve heard of parents jumping into a river to save a drowning child without a moment’s hesitation. One just reacts. We have to save BR – could have been their mindset.

What diminishes the parental rescue scenario, imo, is what was involved with this choice, that is, not to call for help for JB. The law terms it child abuse not to seek medical assistance for a child in a life or death situation. And, before anyone considers it may not matter that they didn’t seek help for her, because she may have been dead or close to death when found, that’s not what the law specifies, nor even what the spirit of the law intends. Death, particularly in the case of violence, is only confirmed by a medical examiner. A determination of death is not left up to parents for a variety of reasons.

Speaking to an attorney about the psychology of tossing others under the bus brought an interesting response. The attorney said it’s a common response of a wrong-doer to toss others “under the bus” if they feel cornered. That makes sense, but I’d add in one more observation. I also believe it was JR’s and Patsy’s determination to have it all their way, even if it meant ruining the careers and reputations of others, which helped unleash the hounds of suspicion to follow the residents of 755 15th St. still today. The defiant blame cast upon the BPD was ironically one of the reasons for Kolar’s book.

In his media tour after the ML apology/‘exoneration’ JR appeared on The View with his new wife. When asked briefly about the case, JR said that some people will continue to suspect them, in spite of the DNA clearing the family. Well, he got that right. Many of us still want more truth, about the crime, and also about the Boulder justice system. For JR and PR, the music “We got (get) by, with a little help from our friends” just seems apropos.

Some newer posters may not have seen the attached photo. It was one of PR’s paintings from her last years. Sorry, I don’t know the date. She merged her face and JR’s into one face, in front of a tree, with a flame behind the tree. A therapist PR had seen made a comment in a tabloid, that it was her (the therapist’s) interpretation the painting pointed to a sense of guilt on Patsy’s part, of what she and JR had done.

Patsypaintingb.jpg

Due to an inconsistency in my source material, I need to correct a detail in my post. The psychiatrist Dr. Carole Lieberman did not treat Patsy, but did provide her interpretation of the painting to the Enquirer.

I'm just finishing DOI. One of the details that screams at me is the intruder theory--a stranger, a monster, a man (who didn't want to carry a ransom note in his pocket incase he got caught by the police but decided to spend hours in the home writing it.) The wildcard is the dog. They had dog bowls on the floor. An intruder would have to know that the dog was staying with the neighbors. He wouldn't have been hanging out in the home because they may have returned with the dog and would have been discovered. This is a problem with the intruder theory that I had never thought of before. So I'm stuck with the idea that the intruder knew the Ramseys well enough to know these small details, but didn't know them enough to be remembered. Now I really don't understand the intruder theories. Damn you touch DNA!

I'm just finishing DOI. One of the details that screams at me is the intruder theory--a stranger, a monster, a man (who didn't want to carry a ransom note in his pocket incase he got caught by the police but decided to spend hours in the home writing it.) The wildcard is the dog. They had dog bowls on the floor. An intruder would have to know that the dog was staying with the neighbors. He wouldn't have been hanging out in the home because they may have returned with the dog and would have been discovered. This is a problem with the intruder theory that I had never thought of before. So I'm stuck with the idea that the intruder knew the Ramseys well enough to know these small details, but didn't know them enough to be remembered. Now I really don't understand the intruder theories. Damn you touch DNA!

Don't forget about the state of the art alarm system the Ramsey's had. The intruder would also have to know that it wasn't activated. They'd have to know the dog was across the street. They knew exactly which drawer the Ramsey's stored their flashlight. They knew exactly where Patsy's writing pad was and where to find a pen. They were even polite enough to put the pen away when done. They redressed a dead girl and happened to know where the size 12 panties were wrapped. They left through a broken window rather than using the door. They knew how to unlatch the WC door, something two officers couldn't figure out. They pulled a chair against the train room door before closing it.

Yep, there are a million inconsistencies BoldBear.

Don't forget about the state of the art alarm system the Ramsey's had. The intruder would also have to know that it wasn't activated. They'd have to know the dog was across the street. They knew exactly which drawer the Ramsey's stored their flashlight. They knew exactly where Patsy's writing pad was and where to find a pen. They were even polite enough to put the pen away when done. They redressed a dead girl and happened to know where the size 12 panties were wrapped. They left through a broken window rather than using the door. They knew how to unlatch the WC door, something two officers couldn't figure out. They pulled a chair against the train room door before closing it.

Yep, there are a million inconsistencies BoldBear.

JR was even reported to have said, "This was an inside job," while carrying his daughter's body up the basement stairs. You would think that the Ramseys would have an inkling of an idea of who this extremely comfortable and knowledgeable "intruder" was given everything he/she knew about that maze of a house and every precautionary measure taken to make sure an intruder wouldn't access the house.

JR was even reported to have said, "This was an inside job," while carrying his daughter's body up the basement stairs. You would think that the Ramseys would have an inkling of an idea of who this extremely comfortable and knowledgeable "intruder" was given everything he/she knew about that maze of a house and every precautionary measure taken to make sure an intruder wouldn't access the house.

Phhht, "Inside Job", ya right! Who says that? That would be something that you would say if the president were mudered, not a six year old girl. Sounds like something out of a movie, kinda like the ransom note :gaah:

Just a thought I’ve had recently, motivated by discussions on other threads. One item I keep in mind when reviewing evidence is nothing in a case is determined to be a "fact in evidence" until a case goes to court and is evaluated by a jury to be such. The jury is the final arbiter of fact.

All that any of us are doing here on the forum can be considered speculative based on what is available in books, interviews, and other documents, and who we find credible. I mention the credibility factor because it is the basis from which we all derive our understanding. Of course, I do find ST and Kolar and the interviewing attorneys to be believable, so I formulate my thoughts around the information they have provided. (Schiller is in a different category of providing primarily second hand information.) I also place high importance on the fact that a GJ did indict them.

So, in discussing the “credibility factor”, here’s an interesting quote from JR, who believed the BPD were framing them. In JR’s eyes the police were not to be trusted, they were not credible. With a bit of hyperbole in DOI to his in-cancer-remission wife JR exclaims, “The police department has the sole intent of putting us in the gas chamber.” In other words, and with my rephrasing, Patsy you’re going to do the perp walk to the gas chamber unless you follow my lead.

Counterpoint to the quote above is offered in Kolar’s book and pertains to credibility as seen within court room tactics. When the facts are in dispute, the first line of defense is frequently to deny, deny, deny. When the facts are incontrovertible, then it is time to move to the next tactic, and raise questions about the process by which those facts were established. It is their intention to undermine the foundation of the presentation of the physical evidence that would be used at trial. Succeed at throwing out the defendant’s bloody fingerprint found at the scene of the crime, and it is likely that no conviction will follow. If those first two tactics are not successful, the next strategic move is to attack the honor and credibility of the men and women who are tasked with seeking the truth of the matter. Evidence linking the defendant to the crime was “planted,” and the cops are lying about investigative procedures. Or, as witnessed in JonBenét’s case, Boulder Police lacked the expertise to investigate a murder case on their own.

Maybe it’s just my own bias, but Kolar’s quote does seem to echo the intent of some forum postings which deny the obvious. I’ll let it go at that.

Part 1

Though I’ve missed out on the pineapple discussions, the break gave me time to review the story of JonBenet’s last day. Something about her family life on Christmas Day is revealed in the LE interviews which occur over the course of several years. After taking a look at the evolution of information and explanations, I agree with Kolar who said that it was truly an imperative upon the RST to take the case away from the BPD. LE was getting closer in defining this case.

A thought to enable someone to understand the answers given in the interviews is from the famous guidance of FBI profiler Robert Ressler - If someone is trying really hard to get you to look one way, the first thing you should do is look the other way.

So I compared what each adult R said about Christmas Day, what they did, what the kids did and followed Ressler’s lead. I also tried to examine what LE are trying to ferret out in these interviews about JonBenet’s last day. While there are a variety of other questions asked in the interviews, I selected the questions about JonBenet’s bicycle and who her playmates were that day. I was searching for consistency of responses from JR and Patsy, and more explanation of her play activities. One of the greatest parental joys is to see a child enjoying new toys on Christmas.

There is no smoking gun in this information; everyone’s read these. But some of our long-term posters here have detected that the more evasive the response, the more one should ponder what the Rs are trying to hide. This post is only my thought that perhaps someone might discern a few additional insights into the family activities and dynamics on JonBenet’s last day.

A recap of Christmas morning: I’ve a mixed reaction to a photo of JB with Patsy, who looks like she’s been crying, gripping JB’s arm tightly. Presents. JR references a bike ride around the block while JB is still in her pink pajamas. JR’s statement in DOI about the absence of batteries for the video camera giving him all the better opportunity to experience Christmas with his children. Late breakfast. JR visits the airplane hangar and is gone for 3-4 hours, to pre-load presents and to clean the plane. PR at home with the kids, packing, wrapping, Then the rest of their answers about JonBenet’s Christmas afternoon up until the Whites’ party.

One disturbing snapshot of the home – and unfortunately it can’t be placed in a time frame - is the description of the state of JB’s room with pajamas bottoms with fecal material on the floor (these are thought to be BR’s), play clothes on the bathroom floor, also with fecal material, strewn elastic bands for her potholder loom on the floor, and some crowns which are normally on the shelf appearing haphazardly scattered on the floor. While PR wasn’t a neat housekeeper, the disorder of the bedroom especially with those pajama bottoms could indicate some kind of fracas between the kids.

Part II

Christmas Day, what happens in the afternoon, what about the bike:
(my comments in green)

JR Interviews
1997 interview:
JR: Well I taken up, I grabbed them Christmas morning I think, or late Christmas morning and I took them up to the airport Christmas day . . .
TT: So they were already out of the house . . .
JR: They were out of the house and in the airplane, preloaded.
1998 Interview:
2 JOHN RAMSEY: Well the plan was to leave
3 the morning of the 26th. I had an airplane at the
4 time that was on charter through a charter company
5 run by Mike Archuleta, who is also a friend;
6 became a friend. Mike was going to fly us that
7 morning of the 26th from Jeffco to Minneapolis
. We
8 were going to get into Minneapolis before 11 and
9 my older kids were going to arrive from Atlanta.
10 From Atlanta to Minneapolis we were going to pick
11 them up and then go on to Charlevoix.
12 And we did it that way because Charlevoix was a
13 difficult place to get to with airlines. And we
14 were flying from Jeffco to Charlevoix, you fly
15 literally almost fly over Minneapolis. So that
16 would be real easy for us to stop in Minneapolis
17 and pick them up. And they had really inexpensive
18 tickets to get there on the airlines. So that was
19 the plan.
[The chartered plane of Archuleta’s company, was it a little bigger to carry all 8/9 of them plus presents and luggage? This would explain the presence of a co-pilot mentioned. JR was cleaning up a chartered plane?]

I had gone out to the
5 airport Christmas day to kind of tinker with
6 airplane and load some presents and kind of get it
7 pre-loaded because we're going to leave early in
8 the morning.

17 So I guess I kind of fussed around that for a few
18 hours and then I came home.

2 (Lou Smit) Just to back up just a little bit. After the
3 children opened their gifts, do you know what they
4 did that day, your children?
5 JOHN RAMSEY: Well they played around the
6 house. There were some kids in and out, I think.
7 Because I wasn't there for several hours.

LOU SMIT: Okay, we're still talking
4 Christmas day. And what time do you think you left
5 for the airport?
6 JOHN RAMSEY: It was after breakfast. You
7 know, 11, 12, probably somewhere there. I spent
8 some time, it was in the Steven's Aviation hangar.

9 There were a couple of mechanics there and running
10 boys. But the place was pretty well closed down.
11 But I spent some time cleaning it, having it
12 ready.
13 LOU SMIT: Anybody that you talked to or anything?
14 JOHN RAMSEY: I spoke to one of the line guys.
15 LOU SMIT: You know his name?
16 JOHN RAMSEY: I don't. He was just one of the
17 guys that was there on Christmas day. But the
18 airplane was in their hangar, in the maintenance
19 hangar. Which is not normally where it's kept. But
20 it was there that day. And I just puttered around
21 for a few hours actually. Probably got home about
22 threeish, probably.

23 LOU SMIT: Did you have a run-in with somebody
24 at the airport over the parking of the plane, that
25 I remember reading someplace; some guy that you
1 had a run-in with at the airport? Could you just
2 think of that for a little bit?
3 JOHN RAMSEY: (INAUDIBLE) I don't remember
4 that now.
5 LOU SMIT: I remember something (INAUDIBLE).
6 JOHN RAMSEY: I don't specifically remember
7 anything like that.
8 LOU SMIT: So got home at about three?

Cont. 1998 interview JR:
8 MIKE KANE: You said that you went down
9 the day before, I guess it was Christmas day, you
10 went down to prepare. What was your reasons to
11 cleaning?
12 JOHN RAMSEY: I mean I spend more time on
13 the airplane on the ground than I do in the air. I
14 like to keep it clean and polished. And part of it
15 is just I like airplanes. It's fun to be around
16 them. And part of it is, if it's clean then you
17 know if there's a problem, because you can see it
18 right away.
If there's an oil leak or a fuel leak.
19 I just like it to look -- if it looks right, it is
20 right. Plus Melinda's, who is my (INAUDIBLE)
21 fiance, who's going to be with us, and I wanted
22 the airplane to look nice. Make her feel
23 comfortable. I just like it to be clean.
24 So I spent some time cleaning. I cleaned the
25 wheels; I remember that being dirty. Just getting
1 ready for a big trip.

Does he take JonBenet for a bike ride on her new bike? Various answers:

Michael Tracey A&E documentary:
John Ramsey: "JonBenet had gotten a bicycle that Christmas and we played most of the day. We were going to go out to dinner and I remember we were trying to get everybody organized to leave and JonBenet was on her bike and wanted me to take her around the block. I said, no - no we don't have time, we'll do this later. She said, "Oh Daddy please," and I can remember that and that kind of hurts because we didn't do that."

From TOSOS:
JonBenét couldn’t wait to try out her new bicycle. “Daddy, can I ride now? Now?” We threw on our jackets and off we went for her first expedition on a bicycle pedaling by herself around the block. I held on to the handle bar and seat as she pedaled, and you would have thought she was captain of the Enterprise. “Look at me, Daddy! Look at me!”

Cont. 1998 inteview JR
7 MIKE KANE: When JonBenet was put
8 to bed that night, when you carried her
9 upstairs, your pictures from Christmas Day, she
10 is wearing a little pink bottom and top. Is
11 that typical?
12 JOHN RAMSEY: Um, that's what she
13 got up, I remember her running into her bedroom
14 with that on Christmas morning.
15 MIKE KANE: And she wore that for
16 Christmas on the bicycle?
17 JOHN RAMSEY: Right.

20 LOU SMIT: You know, I've looked at a lot
21 of pictures in regards to this particular case and
22 I can't remember seeing any bikes. What happened
23 to the bikes?
24 JOHN RAMSEY: Well, they were in the garage,
25 I guess. JonBenet rode her bike for a moment
1 outside before we went to the White's; just round
2 the patio.

People Magazine 10/6/97
"Last Christmas afternoon, Shirley Brady spoke to Patsy by phone. "I could hear kids giggling in the backgorund," she says. "And Patsy said, Oh, John is out there cleaning the sidewalk so JonBenet can try out her new bicycle."

DOI pg 7
"As we were leaving for the Whites' house, JonBenet begged me to help her ride her new bike, which she had managed to bring outside. She was a tad wobbly because this bike was quite a bit bigger than her other one"

[JR claims to feel bad because he didn’t take her on that bike ride before the White’s party.]

Patsy’s responses about Christmas afternoon, and about the bike:

’98 Interview PR
23 TOM HANEY: Did she get to ride her bike?
24 PATSY RAMSEY: She got to ride her bike.
25 TOM HANEY: Christmas day?
1 PATSY RAMSEY: Out in the back driveway.

2 TOM HANEY: You don't remember the weather
3 that day, was --
4 PATSY RAMSEY: Sunny, nice.
5 TOM HANEY: So did she get much time on it?
6 Was it training wheel equipped or was she able to ride
7 a two wheeler by herself?
8 PATSY RAMSEY: I don't think it had training
9 wheels. I think it did.

10 TOM HANEY: Did she get much time on it?
11 Could you give us a clue.
12 PATSY RAMSEY: No idea; riding out in the
13 back.

14 TOM HANEY: But she was able to handle it,
15 she didn't crash or anything?
16 PATSY RAMSEY: No.
[Note Christmas photo of bike does not show training wheels.]

1998 interview Patsy
TRIP DEMUTH: Take your time.
9 When you are wrapping presents and what have
10 you, getting things ready, and JonBenet is riding her
11 bike some a little bit.
12 PATSY RAMSEY: Well, she rode her bike. We
13 were out there when she was riding her bike.

[Earlier she claims that JB was out in the back riding, she has no idea how much she rode.]

And who were the children who played with JonBenet from Patsy:’

98 Interview PR
THOMAS HANEY: But they were over
3 sometime on Christmas --
4 PATSY RAMSEY: Right.
5 THOMAS HANEY: -- to play.
6 Who else did JonBenet play with on
7 Christmas in the daytime, just kind of
8 separating time frames here?
9 PATSY RAMSEY: Well, she and Burke
10 played, Burke played with the Coby kids and
11 these little girls. And then of course we went
12 to the Whites and she and Daphne played with
13 Burke.

[Patsy does not claim that JonBenet played with the little girls. Burke did. Before going to the Whites. She sidesteps answering the question.]

14 TRIP DeMUTH: Okay, but before you
15 went to the Whites.
16 PATSY RAMSEY: Went to the Whites?
17 Well, it would have been, you know, mostly --
18 TRIP DeMUTH: The Coby kids?
19 PATSY RAMSEY: -- the Coby kids.
[Trip helps her with her answer.]

19 TRIP DeMUTH: And who did JonBenet
20 play with of those kids?
21 PATSY RAMSEY: With -- well, they
22 were all kind of playing together. You know,
23 they were outside. Then they would all come in
24 and she was making little jewelry things and I
25 sat and played with her doing the jewelry
1 things. And she was in her room, she was making
2 a little pot holder kind of thing,

A woman by the name of Jean Fortier told LE that she stopped by with her two daughters. She was told that JonBenet was sick, so her daughters played with Burke. Here is John’s response:
(Note: Jean Fortier was the therapist for Linda Arndt. At some point someone broke into her car and stole some of the therapist’s files on LA.)

2000 Interview JR and attorney Levin
10 Q. (By Mr. Levin) It was brought to
11 my attention fairly recently that a woman I
12 believe named Jean Fortier, F-o-r-t-i-e-r, for
13 the reporter, who are the parents of some
14 children who were over your house on
15 Christmas, and they, they, she, excuse me,
16 said that her children reported to her at
17 Christmas day when they went over to play,
18 they played with Burke but that JonBenet did
19 not play because she was sick. I hadn't
20 heard that before. Is that nonsense?
21 A. Absolutely. I don't know who
22 that is, but we had a whole parcel of kids
23 there all day.

It should be noted that the records for Stevens Aviation were subpoenaed by the GJ. We don’t know what the GJ was attempting to confirm, perhaps JR’s presence at the aviation hangar. It might also be a question why, if he claims he was getting the plane ready, that he later asks the pilot to get the plane ready for a business trip to Atlanta. Same plane he cleaned and prepared, or his own plane?

Easy to find discrepancies in the R answers all over their many interviews, but this pertains to JonBenet on Christmas day, which for most parents is easily remembered. It’d be even more prominent in memory if it is your child’s last day of life.

Following Ressler’s guide: What are they hiding with the variety of stories about the bike riding, what about the hot mess in JB’s room, why weren’t the little visiting neighbor girls able to able to play with JonBenet? Was JonBenet shut in her room for misbehavior? Was JonBenet even home or had JR taken her with him? For a man to whom Christmas with his children was so important, leaving for 3-4 hours makes no sense. All I can say is the evasion pre-homicide points to the fact that this was not a “Hallmark” family Christmas. Whatever they are concealing about that day, it derived from the household dynamics and led to a deadly encounter for the most vulnerable one in the home.

According to police who investigate domestic violence, holidays are rough on families and particularly so for ones with divisive and suppressed issues. A dysfunction example: Elin ignored the signs, until she couldn’t ignore them anymore, and then during the Thanksgiving holiday she started swinging a golf club at Tiger’s car. But at least it was only her marriage which died.

Part II

Christmas Day, what happens in the afternoon, what about the bike:
(my comments in green)

JR Interviews
1997 interview:
JR: Well I taken up, I grabbed them Christmas morning I think, or late Christmas morning and I took them up to the airport Christmas day . . .
TT: So they were already out of the house . . .
JR: They were out of the house and in the airplane, preloaded.
1998 Interview:
2 JOHN RAMSEY: Well the plan was to leave
3 the morning of the 26th. I had an airplane at the
4 time that was on charter through a charter company
5 run by Mike Archuleta, who is also a friend;
6 became a friend. Mike was going to fly us that
7 morning of the 26th from Jeffco to Minneapolis
. We
8 were going to get into Minneapolis before 11 and
9 my older kids were going to arrive from Atlanta.
10 From Atlanta to Minneapolis we were going to pick
11 them up and then go on to Charlevoix.
12 And we did it that way because Charlevoix was a
13 difficult place to get to with airlines. And we
14 were flying from Jeffco to Charlevoix, you fly
15 literally almost fly over Minneapolis. So that
16 would be real easy for us to stop in Minneapolis
17 and pick them up. And they had really inexpensive
18 tickets to get there on the airlines. So that was
19 the plan.
[The chartered plane of Archuleta’s company, was it a little bigger to carry all 8/9 of them plus presents and luggage? This would explain the presence of a co-pilot mentioned. JR was cleaning up a chartered plane?]

I had gone out to the
5 airport Christmas day to kind of tinker with
6 airplane and load some presents and kind of get it
7 pre-loaded because we're going to leave early in
8 the morning.

17 So I guess I kind of fussed around that for a few
18 hours and then I came home.

2 (Lou Smit) Just to back up just a little bit. After the
3 children opened their gifts, do you know what they
4 did that day, your children?
5 JOHN RAMSEY: Well they played around the
6 house. There were some kids in and out, I think.
7 Because I wasn't there for several hours.

LOU SMIT: Okay, we're still talking
4 Christmas day. And what time do you think you left
5 for the airport?
6 JOHN RAMSEY: It was after breakfast. You
7 know, 11, 12, probably somewhere there. I spent
8 some time, it was in the Steven's Aviation hangar.

9 There were a couple of mechanics there and running
10 boys. But the place was pretty well closed down.
11 But I spent some time cleaning it, having it
12 ready.
13 LOU SMIT: Anybody that you talked to or anything?
14 JOHN RAMSEY: I spoke to one of the line guys.
15 LOU SMIT: You know his name?
16 JOHN RAMSEY: I don't. He was just one of the
17 guys that was there on Christmas day. But the
18 airplane was in their hangar, in the maintenance
19 hangar. Which is not normally where it's kept. But
20 it was there that day. And I just puttered around
21 for a few hours actually. Probably got home about
22 threeish, probably.

23 LOU SMIT: Did you have a run-in with somebody
24 at the airport over the parking of the plane, that
25 I remember reading someplace; some guy that you
1 had a run-in with at the airport? Could you just
2 think of that for a little bit?
3 JOHN RAMSEY: (INAUDIBLE) I don't remember
4 that now.
5 LOU SMIT: I remember something (INAUDIBLE).
6 JOHN RAMSEY: I don't specifically remember
7 anything like that.
8 LOU SMIT: So got home at about three?

Cont. 1998 interview JR:
8 MIKE KANE: You said that you went down
9 the day before, I guess it was Christmas day, you
10 went down to prepare. What was your reasons to
11 cleaning?
12 JOHN RAMSEY: I mean I spend more time on
13 the airplane on the ground than I do in the air. I
14 like to keep it clean and polished. And part of it
15 is just I like airplanes. It's fun to be around
16 them. And part of it is, if it's clean then you
17 know if there's a problem, because you can see it
18 right away.
If there's an oil leak or a fuel leak.
19 I just like it to look -- if it looks right, it is
20 right. Plus Melinda's, who is my (INAUDIBLE)
21 fiance, who's going to be with us, and I wanted
22 the airplane to look nice. Make her feel
23 comfortable. I just like it to be clean.
24 So I spent some time cleaning. I cleaned the
25 wheels; I remember that being dirty. Just getting
1 ready for a big trip.

Does he take JonBenet for a bike ride on her new bike? Various answers:

Michael Tracey A&E documentary:
John Ramsey: "JonBenet had gotten a bicycle that Christmas and we played most of the day. We were going to go out to dinner and I remember we were trying to get everybody organized to leave and JonBenet was on her bike and wanted me to take her around the block. I said, no - no we don't have time, we'll do this later. She said, "Oh Daddy please," and I can remember that and that kind of hurts because we didn't do that."

From TOSOS:
JonBenét couldn’t wait to try out her new bicycle. “Daddy, can I ride now? Now?” We threw on our jackets and off we went for her first expedition on a bicycle pedaling by herself around the block. I held on to the handle bar and seat as she pedaled, and you would have thought she was captain of the Enterprise. “Look at me, Daddy! Look at me!”

Cont. 1998 inteview JR
7 MIKE KANE: When JonBenet was put
8 to bed that night, when you carried her
9 upstairs, your pictures from Christmas Day, she
10 is wearing a little pink bottom and top. Is
11 that typical?
12 JOHN RAMSEY: Um, that's what she
13 got up, I remember her running into her bedroom
14 with that on Christmas morning.
15 MIKE KANE: And she wore that for
16 Christmas on the bicycle?
17 JOHN RAMSEY: Right.

20 LOU SMIT: You know, I've looked at a lot
21 of pictures in regards to this particular case and
22 I can't remember seeing any bikes. What happened
23 to the bikes?
24 JOHN RAMSEY: Well, they were in the garage,
25 I guess. JonBenet rode her bike for a moment
1 outside before we went to the White's; just round
2 the patio.

People Magazine 10/6/97
"Last Christmas afternoon, Shirley Brady spoke to Patsy by phone. "I could hear kids giggling in the backgorund," she says. "And Patsy said, Oh, John is out there cleaning the sidewalk so JonBenet can try out her new bicycle."

DOI pg 7
"As we were leaving for the Whites' house, JonBenet begged me to help her ride her new bike, which she had managed to bring outside. She was a tad wobbly because this bike was quite a bit bigger than her other one"

[JR claims to feel bad because he didn’t take her on that bike ride before the White’s party.]

Patsy’s responses about Christmas afternoon, and about the bike:

’98 Interview PR
23 TOM HANEY: Did she get to ride her bike?
24 PATSY RAMSEY: She got to ride her bike.
25 TOM HANEY: Christmas day?
1 PATSY RAMSEY: Out in the back driveway.

2 TOM HANEY: You don't remember the weather
3 that day, was --
4 PATSY RAMSEY: Sunny, nice.
5 TOM HANEY: So did she get much time on it?
6 Was it training wheel equipped or was she able to ride
7 a two wheeler by herself?
8 PATSY RAMSEY: I don't think it had training
9 wheels. I think it did.

10 TOM HANEY: Did she get much time on it?
11 Could you give us a clue.
12 PATSY RAMSEY: No idea; riding out in the
13 back.

14 TOM HANEY: But she was able to handle it,
15 she didn't crash or anything?
16 PATSY RAMSEY: No.
[Note Christmas photo of bike does not show training wheels.]

1998 interview Patsy
TRIP DEMUTH: Take your time.
9 When you are wrapping presents and what have
10 you, getting things ready, and JonBenet is riding her
11 bike some a little bit.
12 PATSY RAMSEY: Well, she rode her bike. We
13 were out there when she was riding her bike.

[Earlier she claims that JB was out in the back riding, she has no idea how much she rode.]

And who were the children who played with JonBenet from Patsy:’

98 Interview PR
THOMAS HANEY: But they were over
3 sometime on Christmas --
4 PATSY RAMSEY: Right.
5 THOMAS HANEY: -- to play.
6 Who else did JonBenet play with on
7 Christmas in the daytime, just kind of
8 separating time frames here?
9 PATSY RAMSEY: Well, she and Burke
10 played, Burke played with the Coby kids and
11 these little girls. And then of course we went
12 to the Whites and she and Daphne played with
13 Burke.

[Patsy does not claim that JonBenet played with the little girls. Burke did. Before going to the Whites. She sidesteps answering the question.]

14 TRIP DeMUTH: Okay, but before you
15 went to the Whites.
16 PATSY RAMSEY: Went to the Whites?
17 Well, it would have been, you know, mostly --
18 TRIP DeMUTH: The Coby kids?
19 PATSY RAMSEY: -- the Coby kids.
[Trip helps her with her answer.]

19 TRIP DeMUTH: And who did JonBenet
20 play with of those kids?
21 PATSY RAMSEY: With -- well, they
22 were all kind of playing together. You know,
23 they were outside. Then they would all come in
24 and she was making little jewelry things and I
25 sat and played with her doing the jewelry
1 things. And she was in her room, she was making
2 a little pot holder kind of thing,

A woman by the name of Jean Fortier told LE that she stopped by with her two daughters. She was told that JonBenet was sick, so her daughters played with Burke. Here is John’s response:
(Note: Jean Fortier was the therapist for Linda Arndt. At some point someone broke into her car and stole some of the therapist’s files on LA.)

2000 Interview JR and attorney Levin
10 Q. (By Mr. Levin) It was brought to
11 my attention fairly recently that a woman I
12 believe named Jean Fortier, F-o-r-t-i-e-r, for
13 the reporter, who are the parents of some
14 children who were over your house on
15 Christmas, and they, they, she, excuse me,
16 said that her children reported to her at
17 Christmas day when they went over to play,
18 they played with Burke but that JonBenet did
19 not play because she was sick. I hadn't
20 heard that before. Is that nonsense?
21 A. Absolutely. I don't know who
22 that is, but we had a whole parcel of kids
23 there all day.

It should be noted that the records for Stevens Aviation were subpoenaed by the GJ. We don’t know what the GJ was attempting to confirm, perhaps JR’s presence at the aviation hangar. It might also be a question why, if he claims he was getting the plane ready, that he later asks the pilot to get the plane ready for a business trip to Atlanta. Same plane he cleaned and prepared, or his own plane?

Easy to find discrepancies in the R answers all over their many interviews, but this pertains to JonBenet on Christmas day, which for most parents is easily remembered. It’d be even more prominent in memory if it is your child’s last day of life.

Following Ressler’s guide: What are they hiding with the variety of stories about the bike riding, what about the hot mess in JB’s room, why weren’t the little visiting neighbor girls able to able to play with JonBenet? Was JonBenet shut in her room for misbehavior? Was JonBenet even home or had JR taken her with him? For a man to whom Christmas with his children was so important, leaving for 3-4 hours makes no sense. All I can say is the evasion pre-homicide points to the fact that this was not a “Hallmark” family Christmas. Whatever they are concealing about that day, it derived from the household dynamics and led to a deadly encounter for the most vulnerable one in the home.

According to police who investigate domestic violence, holidays are rough on families and particularly so for ones with divisive and suppressed issues. A dysfunction example: Elin ignored the signs, until she couldn’t ignore them anymore, and then during the Thanksgiving holiday she started swinging a golf club at Tiger’s car. But at least it was only her marriage which died.

A great job of putting together comparisons of the interviews about these circumstances as reported by PR and JR. There is no clear or matching information provided, except that we can assume that at least JB sat upon her bike with a desire to ride it, and that there were other kids who came to the Ramsey house to play. We have to wonder why Ms. Fortier would have any reason to report anything other than the facts, which is that her two girls did not play with JB because they were "told she was sick", and that leads me to believe that they did not see her.

If JR took JB with him to the airport, and there is evidence that airport employees can account for seeing him, then they should have been able to notice if JB was in tow. I'd guess that she was not. Wouldn't getting a little girl to leave her Christmas goods for a chunk of the day to help her Dad ready a plane normally take some special pleadings?? But, PR said she colored her hair that day too, so maybe sending her off with JR would have given her a reprieve from monitoring interaction between BR and JR, making it easier to have time alone for coloring her hair?

IIRC, one of the two planes JR had at his disposal was a company provided plane, and one was his privately owned plane. One was a King Air, which according to capacity information would have accommodated 8/9, including the pilot/co-pilot. I do not know if the King Air was his private craft, but it seems to me it is more likely the company plane would have been the one provided by a charter company. JR sold his own plane, it is reported, at a later date to Mike Archuletta for a price that was quite a bargain. Maybe both planes were capable of carrying a good number of occupants.

JR spending 3 or so hours checking over the plane has never seemed plausible to me unless: 1) He is such a control freak he could not trust the charter company or pilot/co-pilot to do the pre-flight readying. 2) He really did not go to the airport, but left for another reason. 3) The discord in the family home was driving him to seek escape for a while. Why would a loving, wealthy (capable of hiring others for that task) family man want to give up the heart of Christmas day with his family for the sake of checking over his plane, unless the plane provided more emotional rewards to him than the kids would have. But we are talking about JR, aren't we?

Obviously, none of the investigative interviews were able to lead to any conclusive paths of evidence, not even some that could be used to build a strong circumstantial evidence case. We're stuck with having to wait for something new to surface, or having a miracle take place in the form of LE getting serious about a fresh investigation. And I would think that would have to include interviews with both JR and BR.

Your questions are all valid, qft, and most of us who refuse to give up hope that this crime will be solved understand why the questioning continues. It demonstrates how much we care about the injustice of such a horrible crime. Some are able to let it rest, others will never do so, thus becoming champions of a cause for as long as it takes. Congrats on being a champion for JB, qft.

John's story about having the plane clean to impress Melinda doesn't make sense when you consider how untidy his house was. I'm sure Melinda would have been very impressed how clean the wheels were. Do wheels get oil and fuel leaks?

And thanks questfortrue, I really appreciate your effort.

TT: How did you sleep Christmas night?
JR: I took a Melatonin tablet because I wanted to get to sleep fast because we had to get up early, and I slept through the night.
TT: Now is that Melatonin an over the counter or prescription drug?
JR: Over the counter.

http://www.acandyrose.com/1997BPD-John-Interview-Complete.htm

This is the really important thing you should understand about melatonin: Melatonin is a sleep and body clock regulator &#8211; NOT a sleep initiator. Melatonin works with your biological clock by telling your brain when it is time to sleep. Melatonin does not increase your sleep drive or need for sleep.

http://empoweredsustenance.com/melatonin-is-bad-for-you/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back