CA - Child *advertiser censored* charges against John Mark Karr dismissed

Buzzm1 said:
CO would only retain John Mark Karr if there was the possibility that he might face far more serious charges in another jurisdiction, doubtful that it would be another state, as Karr hasn't spent much time in the states lately, but most likely another country. He had to have lied on his applications to do child care for families, and even for teaching positions. These could easily be felonies, and the U.S. needs friends if they want to stop pedophile activities in other countries. Karr could end up being a bargaining chip.
Do you think there will be some sort of announcement from Boulder Co. or from Sonoma Co. by Wednesday, if there's a change in John Karr's status regarding who will have jurisdiction? If Boulder Co. retains jurisdiction after Wednesday's deadline, will there have to be any sort of court proceding to hold him past the Sept. 13th date?

Leila said:
Do you think there will be some sort of announcement from Boulder Co. or from Sonoma Co. by Wednesday, if there's a change in John Karr's status regarding who will have jurisdiction? If Boulder Co. retains jurisdiction after Wednesday's deadline, will there have to be any sort of court proceding to hold him past the Sept. 13th date?
There was quite a lot of criticism regarding the media flurry over Karr. especially considering everything else going on in the world, but I am surprised the hold on Karr hasn't gained the media's interest. If Boulder isn't going to let him go to Sonoma, we should hear something from them very soon, otherwise we will probably hear that Karr has been transported.

Buzzm1 said:
There was quite a lot of criticism regarding the media flurry over Karr. especially considering everything else going on in the world, but I am surprised the hold on Karr hasn't gained the media's interest. If Boulder isn't going to let him go to Sonoma, we should hear something from them very soon, otherwise we will probably hear that Karr has been transported.
The next few days could prove to be interesting!

Leila said:
The next few days could prove to be interesting!
I wonder if John Mark Karr had anything worthwhile to share with Boulder County LE. He is a good model for a pedo perp, and he may know websites, chat rooms, where similarly minded perps would hang out. For all we know John Mark Karr could have chatted online with the actual perp.

The Ramsey Mountain News figured out, by reading the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, that
"deputies from California were in Boulder to collect him last Thursday."

Calif. deputies reportedly come for Karr, leave him here
"The deadline for his return to Sonoma County is 5 p.m. Wednesday."

"Sonoma County Sheriff Bill Cogbill, in the article, alluded to some "huge dynamics going on that could change the whole course of this," but declined to be more specific.

He did not return calls Monday.

That report stated that Boulder Sheriff Joe Pelle was one of the sources confirming the aborted prisoner transfer, but Pelle said Monday that he declined to confirm or deny the information.

Pelle said he's adhering to his previously announced policy of not discussing a prisoner transport in advance, due to security concerns, and that he will only confirm Karr's departure once he leaves his custody.

Boulder Sheriff's Division Chief Larry Hank said, "They plan on being here (from Sonoma County) before the deadline," but would say nothing further about Karr's status."

"Carolyn French, a spokeswoman for Boulder District Attorney Mary Lacy, said Monday that the Boulder prosecutor is not responsible for the timing of Karr's travel itinerary.

"We aren't doing anything right now" concerning Karr, said French. "The judge has given them until 5 o'clock Wednesday to pick him up, and that's where it's at."

As to whether there is any renewed interest in Karr in connection with JonBenet's murder, French said, "I believe at this point Boulder is not investigating him for any criminal behavior."

If Sonoma County deputies have not collected Karr by the end of the day Wednesday, French said, "There would most likely be a hearing" in Boulder District Court.

Ben Prince, one of the attorneys representing Karr in the Sonoma County case, said the only information he has heard concerning last week's attempted pickup of Karr came from the Santa Rosa newspaper.

"We don't have any information on anything that may have come up in the Boulder case," Prince said.

Boulder Public Defender Seth Temin did not return a reporter's calls Monday.

San Jose lawyer Jamie Harmon, who said she remains part of Karr's legal team, speculated that Karr's extradition has been delayed to give Sonoma County a chance to prepare more serious charges."

Bottom line, no one knows nothin'.

Rocky said:
Can we fly parents in from Bangkok of children he raped and murdered?

Doesn't the more serious charges come first in the International court of law?
I haven't kept up with Karr since it became apparent he didn't kill JonBenet.

Is it true that he has raped and killed other children?

Sorry for not keeping up, if someone could fill me in that would be great :)

Buzzm1 said:
I wonder if John Mark Karr had anything worthwhile to share with Boulder County LE. He is a good model for a pedo perp, and he may know websites, chat rooms, where similarly minded perps would hang out. For all we know John Mark Karr could have chatted online with the actual perp.
Buzzm1,
We know that John Karr likes to talk. :) So, he may have divulged information on someone and the Boulder detectives are now investigating that possibility. He might actually know someone who bragged to Karr that he killed JonBenet. John Karr may have adopted the crime as his own, as he knew all the details. Perhaps he said something that only the killer would know. Whatever it is, has caused Boulder and Sonoma to delay the extradition and this might be significant.

i.b.nora said:
The Ramsey Mountain News figured out, by reading the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, that
"deputies from California were in Boulder to collect him last Thursday."

Calif. deputies reportedly come for Karr, leave him here
"The deadline for his return to Sonoma County is 5 p.m. Wednesday."

"Sonoma County Sheriff Bill Cogbill, in the article, alluded to some "huge dynamics going on that could change the whole course of this," but declined to be more specific.

He did not return calls Monday.

That report stated that Boulder Sheriff Joe Pelle was one of the sources confirming the aborted prisoner transfer, but Pelle said Monday that he declined to confirm or deny the information.

Pelle said he's adhering to his previously announced policy of not discussing a prisoner transport in advance, due to security concerns, and that he will only confirm Karr's departure once he leaves his custody.

Boulder Sheriff's Division Chief Larry Hank said, "They plan on being here (from Sonoma County) before the deadline," but would say nothing further about Karr's status."

"Carolyn French, a spokeswoman for Boulder District Attorney Mary Lacy, said Monday that the Boulder prosecutor is not responsible for the timing of Karr's travel itinerary.

"We aren't doing anything right now" concerning Karr, said French. "The judge has given them until 5 o'clock Wednesday to pick him up, and that's where it's at."

As to whether there is any renewed interest in Karr in connection with JonBenet's murder, French said, "I believe at this point Boulder is not investigating him for any criminal behavior."

If Sonoma County deputies have not collected Karr by the end of the day Wednesday, French said, "There would most likely be a hearing" in Boulder District Court.

Ben Prince, one of the attorneys representing Karr in the Sonoma County case, said the only information he has heard concerning last week's attempted pickup of Karr came from the Santa Rosa newspaper.

"We don't have any information on anything that may have come up in the Boulder case," Prince said.

San Jose lawyer Jamie Harmon, who said she remains part of Karr's legal team, speculated that Karr's extradition has been delayed to give Sonoma County a chance to prepare more serious charges."

Bottom line, no one knows nothin'.
i.b.nora,
Interesting article! But, it seems no one is forthcoming with information about why Boulder didn't release John Karr to the Sonoma sheriff deputies when they came to pick him up.

Here's the original article from the Santa Rose Press Democrat:

http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060909/NEWS/609090333&SearchID=73256627843244

Excerpt:

Sheriff Bill Cogbill would not discuss the details of the trip or why deputies left Boulder without bringing back the high-profile defendant on a local warrant for failing to appear at a 2001 hearing on charges of possessing child *advertiser censored* .

But he alluded to larger issues in the case that could affect Sonoma County's five-count misdemeanor prosecution of the former Petaluma substitute teacher who famously confessed, apparently falsely, to the 1996 JonBenet Ramsey slaying .

"The dynamics evolve day to day," Cogbill said, adding to the mystery surrounding an already bizarre case. "There are huge dynamics going on that could change the whole course of this." He said he would be able to talk more freely early next week.

"There is a whole other dimension to this that I'll probably be able to talk about later, but not today," he said.

Cogbill said it is still the intention of local authorities to return Karr, 41, to Sonoma County to face charges.

"That could change," he added.

Leila said:
Buzzm1,
We know that John Karr likes to talk. :) So, he may have divulged information on someone and the Boulder detectives are now investigating that possibility. He might actually know someone who bragged to Karr that he killed JonBenet. John Karr may have adopted the crime as his own, as he knew all the details. Perhaps he said something that only the killer would know. Whatever it is, has caused Boulder and Sonoma to delay the extradition and this might be significant.
I agree with your reasoning on this, and am inclined to believe that he may be supplying LE with information. It certainly is unusual that the deputies would travel from California to pick him up and leave him in Boulder. I do wonder now what's going on with him!
:confused:

panthera said:
I agree with your reasoning on this, and am inclined to believe that he may be supplying LE with information. It certainly is unusual that the deputies would travel from California to pick him up and leave him in Boulder. I do wonder now what's going on with him!
:confused:
One thing bothers me about this situation. Before actually going to Boulder to pick John Karr up, there would have been some sort of communication between the Sonoma Co., sheriff and the Boulder authorities. They would discuss plans via telephone for when Boulder could expect the Sonoma sheriff deputies to arrive, so that Boulder could prepare for releasing John Karr to the Sonoma deputies.

According to the article, Sonoma County sheriff deputies went to Boulder to extradite John Karr back to CA. But, they ended up coming home without him. This suggests that after arrangements had been made for Sonoma County to pick John Karr up last Friday, and while they were enroute to do so, the Boulder authorities learned some new information that changed the entire scope of the situation. There wasn't even time to call Sonoma County Sheriff Dept. and cancel the planned trip.

Leila said:
One thing bothers me about this situation. Before actually going to Boulder to pick John Karr up, there would have been some sort of communication between the Sonoma Co., sheriff and the Boulder authorities. They would discuss plans via telephone for when Boulder could expect the Sonoma sheriff deputies to arrive, so that Boulder could prepare for releasing John Karr to the Sonoma deputies.

According to the article, Sonoma County sheriff deputies went to Boulder to extradite John Karr back to CA. But, they ended up coming home without him. This suggests that after arrangements had been made for Sonoma County to pick John Karr up last Friday, and while they were enroute to do so, the Boulder authorities learned some new information that changed the entire scope of the situation. There wasn't even time to call Sonoma County Sheriff Dept. and cancel the planned trip.
You're right. The authorities could even communicate with each other from the air. What is also interesting here is that JMK's attorneys said he wanted a "speedy trial" in California. So is he an informant for Boulder Co. (with no charges pending there) or is he now being investigated again by Boulder Co.? Or, as someone else posted, maybe he's being investigated for Federal charges. Otherwise, I don't see how this scenario could've happened, since he was only staying in the Boulder Co. Jail while waiting for Sonoma Co. to pick him up.

One thing's for sure ~ never a dull moment with JMK!
:eek:

panthera said:
You're right. The authorities could even communicate with each other from the air. What is also interesting here is that JMK's attorneys said he wanted a "speedy trial" in California. So is he an informant for Boulder Co. (with no charges pending there) or is he now being investigated again by Boulder Co.? Or, as someone else posted, maybe he's being investigated for Federal charges. Otherwise, I don't see how this scenario could've happened, since he was only staying in the Boulder Co. Jail while waiting for Sonoma Co. to pick him up.

One thing's for sure ~ never a dull moment with JMK!
:eek:
The odds are good that the decision to hold Karr doesn't reside with Sheriff Joe. I think the decision to hold Karr longer came from well above him, and only after CA came to piick him up, and so, patrtially because of the lack of news, or an explanation, I think the odds are good that the Feds are involved, either on their own behalf, or on behalf of another country. CO's ability to question Karr, wouldn't be eliminated by his transfer to CA. Given a choice, I think Karr would much rather spend time in U.S. prisons versus Thailand, Costa Rica, Honduras, or wherever else Karr may have broken a law, or two, or three.

Leila said:
Buzzm1,
Hardly.
He got all the details mixed up.
Karr doesn't know anything.

Buzzm1 said:
The odds are good that the decision to hold Karr doesn't reside with Sheriff Joe. I think the decision to hold Karr longer came from well above him, and only after CA came to piick him up, and so, patrtially because of the lack of news, or an explanation, I think the odds are good that the Feds are involved, either on their own behalf, or on behalf of another country. CO's ability to question Karr, wouldn't be eliminated by his transfer to CA. Given a choice, I think Karr would much rather spend time in U.S. prisons versus Thailand, Costa Rica, Honduras, or wherever else Karr may have broken a law, or two, or three.
I think you're right! I think the liklihood that the authority rests with federal LE is probably right on the mark. I really find it curious that the media hasn't picked up on any of this, with the exception of the Sonoma County newspaper.

If I recall correctly, didn't Karr work as a tutor and nanny in European countries for a period of time after he left the U.S.? There could be any number of countries that have an interest in Karr.

narlacat said:
I haven't kept up with Karr since it became apparent he didn't kill JonBenet.

Is it true that he has raped and killed other children?

Sorry for not keeping up, if someone could fill me in that would be great :)
Bump.

By CHARLIE BRENNAN
Almost two weeks since his ordered extradition to California on child-*advertiser censored* charges, John Mark Karr still sits in the Boulder County Jail despite a report that deputies from California were in Boulder to collect him last Thursday.

The deadline for his return to Sonoma County is Wednesday.

A report published in The Press Democrat of Santa Rosa on Saturday said two Sonoma County sheriff's deputies traveled to Boulder on Thursday to pick up Karr _ but left without him.

Sonoma County Sheriff Bill Cogbill, in the article, alluded to some "huge dynamics going on that could change the whole course of this," but declined to be more specific.

He did not return calls.

Boulder Sheriff's Division Chief Larry Hank said, "They plan on being here (from Sonoma County) before the deadline," but would say nothing further about Karr's status.

Karr, 41, was arrested in Bangkok, Thailand, last month for investigation in the murder of JonBenet Ramsey.

Karr was returned to Boulder, where prosecutors conducted DNA tests, ultimately clearing him in the Christmas-night 1996 slaying of the 6-year-old beauty queen.

At a hearing in Boulder County District Court on Aug. 28, a judge ordered Karr to return to Sonoma County, where he faces five misdemeanor child-*advertiser censored* charges dating back to 2001. A two-week deadline was set for him to be picked up by California authorities.

Carolyn French, a spokeswoman for Boulder County District Attorney Mary Lacy, said Monday that the Boulder prosecutor is not responsible for the timing of Karr's travel itinerary.

San Jose, Calif., lawyer Jamie Harmon, who said she remains part of Karr's legal team, speculated that Karr's extradition has been delayed to give Sonoma County a chance to prepare more serious charges.

Source: http://www.scrippsnews.com/node/12955

UKGuy said:
San Jose, Calif., lawyer Jamie Harmon, who said she remains part of Karr's legal team, speculated that Karr's extradition has been delayed to give Sonoma County a chance to prepare more serious charges.

Source: http://www.scrippsnews.com/node/12955

Jamie Harmon only wishes she was part of the Karr defense team. She has no idea what is going on, and she is way out of her league on this one.

Buzzm1 said:
Jamie Harmon only wishes she was part of the Karr defense team. She has no idea what is going on, and she is way out of her league on this one.
Jamie Harmon's area of law is DUI defense. :)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smartowl
Back