CO - Possible Serial Shooter Has Colorado Drivers on Edge #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting links all. Where did my last hour go?

Are you suggesting that a frangible round might have gone thru the driver's side window and still held together well enough to have passed relatively cleanly thru the front of her throat?

Multiple shots were fired toward Cori. (At least one bullet hole, not from the bullet that hit her, was found on the car.) Might another have shattered the window, clearing the way for the bullet to the neck?

<BBM for Focus>

Reading my very long homework assignment disguised as a post, maybe?
The answer to either of the two scenarios is, 'Yes'..

Forager, on the CNN graphic photo #2, how many entrance and exit wounds are there on CRs' neck? I see three..

<BBM for Focus>

The answer to either of the two scenarios are, 'Yes'..

Are you suggesting that a frangible round might have gone thru the driver's side window and still held together well enough to have passed relatively cleanly thru the front of her throat?

Multiple shots were fired toward Cori. (At least one bullet hole, not from the bullet that hit her, was found on the car.) Might another have shattered the window, clearing the way for the bullet to the neck?

Oh, you're too good, Foxfire, godfather material. 'Every time...

I am wondering if 2 bullets means one shooter firing twice or two shooters firing simultaneously. Most of the reports we have seen of shattered windows, the victim hasn't reported hearing a gunshot. I don't think that is surprising because that sound would be at the same time their window is exploding. But with CR, if it was one shooter firing one shot after the other, you'd think she would have heard at least one of those shots. So I am maybe inclined to think it was two shooters firing at the same time (as crazy as that is). The other two victims were both shot twice, correct?

<BBM for Focus>

Forager, on the CNN graphic photo #2, how many entrance and exit wounds are there on CRs' neck? I see three..

Do we have a doctor on here that could look at those pics of her? I am wondering if some of those "injuries" are surgical drains that would have been put in by the doctors.

Forager posts:

Here's an attempt at a compact chronological list of the 2015 "incidents" that we have been tracking, whether or not they have been officially linked. I condensed it from the spreadsheet we've been keeping.

>> Shat. Flash 1/23; Time ?; Weld Co. Rd. 18 [direction?]; Driver saw
a small flash and then something hit his windshield.

>> Shat. 2/22; Time ?; I-25 south; The driver reported a
baseball-sized hole in his rear window.

>> Shattered 4/5; Time ?; Hwy 119 [parked]; Two front side windows shattered
from a pellet gun shot. Deputies thought the damage may have been from a boyfriend.

>> Shatttered 4/8; Time ?; I-25 south;
Belated report of rear window shattered.

>> Shatttered 4/14; Time ?; Hwy 85 south;
Driver said her rear passenger window shattered.

>> Slingshot 4/15; Time ?; I-25 north; [On 4/28/15 a driver reported from 2 weeks earlier [so about April 15th]:
Saw someone shoot a "wrist rocket" slingshot at a semi-truck.

>> Shattered 4/16; Time ?; Hwy 257 & Poudre Trail Dr.; She (driver) had
a hole in the center of her windshield.

>> Shattered 4/18; Time ?; Weld Co. Rd. 12 [parked]; Owner of vehicle, the window was facing away from County Road 12 was
found his passenger window shattered at his home.

>> Shattered 4/20; Time ?; I-25 frontage [direction?];
The rear glass was broken in a possible two-car traffic accident.

>> Jail Van 4/21; 11:15 AM; I-25 [direction?]; Larimer Co. jail van on I-25 near Mead.... a
projectile LCSO now says was NOT a bullet (maybe a paintball) shattered the window of a moving

>> Shattered 4/22; 9:50 PM; East Eisenhower Blvd.;
Driver heard a "pop" and his rear window was shattered., Loveland police said.

>> Cori Romero Shot 4/22; 11:15 PM; I-25 on-ramp; "I was merging onto I 25 when a car pulled up next to me... . ... my window shattered." Police later found "bullet holes" in the car.

>> Shattered 4/23 1/3; 12:10 PM; Weld Co. Rd. 49 south; Driver traveling south on Weld Co. Rd. 49, front driver's-side window shattered.
He believes the window had been "shot out," per WCSO.

>> Shattered 4/23 2/3; Time ?; Weld Co. Rd. 392 south; Southbound on Co. 392.
The back window of the vehicle shattered.

>> Shattered 4/23 3/3; Time ?; I-25 [direction?];
Abandoned truck had its back window shattered.

>> Shattered 4/27; Time ?; I-25 south; A Longmont Police Officer in a narcotics pickup truck reported
the rear passenger window shattering.

>> Shattered 4/28 1/3; Time ?; I-25 south;
An impact circle on the lower right of windshield.

>> Shattered 4/28 2/3; 9:50 AM; I-25 south;
Driver side window ofwhite work truck shattered, half half-mile south of the Mountain Vista exit.

>> Shattered 4/28/15 3/3; 9:40 AM; I-25 south;
The driver&#8217;s side window of a pickup shattered as a man drove south on I-25, per Larimer CSO.

>> Shattered 4/29 1/4; 10:00 AM; I-25 [direction?]; Per Larimer CSO, a woman reported
rear passenger truck window shattered on I-25 near Wellington.

>> Shattered 4/29 2/4; 10:00-11:00 AM; I-25 north frontage; Brady Collins told investigators she was driving north on the I-25 frontage road south of Windsor when
her passenger window shattered.

>> Shattered 4/29 3/4; Time ?; Weld Co. Rd. 23 north;
The driver reported driver's side window shattered just as another vehicle sped by on a gravel road. He was adamant that he heard a shot.

>> Shattered 4/29 4/4; 10:00-11:00 AM; I-25 [direction?]; Two drivers on I-25, between 10 a.m. and 11 a.m. on Wed. [4/29/15]. This one near mile marker 257. (The other at 276). Per Larimer CSO.
reported windows shattering

>> Shattered 4/30/15; Time ?; I-25 south; near CO Highway 60 and southbound I-25
Driver reporting shattered window

>> Shattered 5/7; Early afternoon; I-25 north; A window on a Jeep Grand Cherokee headed northbound on I-25 near Crossroads Blvd.
shattered.

>> Shattered 5/12; 11:15 AM; I-25 north; Driver on I-25 north ~ 2 miles south of the Windsor exit,
when his driver-side window shattered

>> John Jacoby shot 5/18; ~ 10:00:00 AM; Weld Co. Rd. 15; John Jacoby, 48, who had been riding his bike, "had been shot twice, and was discovered by a passing driver shortly after 10 a.m. Monday 5/18/15. It's unknown how long he had been lying in the road."

>> Duel on I-76 5/22; 3:00 PM; I-76 Exit [direction?];
On I-76 and the E. Bromley Lane exit ramp. A driver says he saw 2 cars involved and heard a "pop," and then saw shell casings flying out of the car. Officers are looking for a red Hyundai Santa Fe, and a white Chevy Cruze, believed to be the target.

>> Denver Rd Rage 5/25; 4:00 PM; S. Lincoln (?);
"... two people were hit by gunfire in a road rage incident while driving close to S. Broadway and Mississippi... just before 4 p.m., [subsequently reported as "about 3:30 PM]. Both had non-life-threatening wounds.

>> Shat. 6/2/15; 8:30 AM; Lincoln Ave.;
A driver-side truck window was shattered outside of Odell Brewery.

>> Shattered no date; Time ?; Hwy 34 east;
Driver's side window shattered at the same time a semi-truck drove by. No reporting.

>> Bill Connole shot 6/3/14; 11:52 PM; E. 1st St. and St. Louis Ave.;
William (Bill) Roger Connole Jr. shot in drive by "about" 11:52 PM Wed. (6/3/15) night.

>> Shattered 6/6/15; 10:45 AM; I 25 south;
"Window on [driver's] side of [this red] car shattered" with a "loud bang". LE attributes to road debris, but not definitively.

The Gray said to be unrelated by LE
Red are shatterings not known if related
Orange survived
Dark Red murdered

<BBM for Focus>

Here's the photo of Cori's throat with the stitches:
Photo: CR neck with stitches

Here's the CNN graphic photo #2, the one with the portruding drains.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-FYzfMhVb0FiUXoRDMB0NGyirII8R8Av76IWtctoMBQ=w559-h367-no

The entrance wound does look messier and with worse bruising, but I don't know if I can count more than one entrance hole. Or exclude a second. The entrance wound drain obscures so much of it.

Here's the photo of Cori's throat with the stitches:
Photo: CR neck with stitches

Here's the CNN graphic photo #2, the one with the portruding drains.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-FYzfMhVb0FiUXoRDMB0NGyirII8R8Av76IWtctoMBQ=w559-h367-no

The entrance wound does look messier and with worse bruising, but I don't know if I can count more than one entrance hole. Or exclude a second. The entrance wound drain obscures so much of it.

Forager look about one inch to the left and a smidget higher to the entrance wound. Also there seems to be injuries lower down on her neck that appears to be similar to close range gunpowder tattooing or long range satellite pellet holes. jmo

Photo #16 - Firearm Injuries
http://www.slideshare.net/dr.salhab/firearm-injuries

Not sure what you meant by the concealed carry comment.
I think what the FBI testing meant about the frangible is that it disintegrates after hitting vehicle glass. While it probably would have injured her, maybe even remained intact enough to enter her neck like that, I don't think the exit wound would have been like that. But that is pure guess on my part. While I have a lot of shooting/firearm experience, I have zero experience with frangibles.

<BBM for Focus>
PrairieWind, it is my understanding that due to significant gun barrel tinning when using frangible ammunition, the bullet has no signature. The frangible ammo which shatters into many small pieces on impact, also defeats ballistic identification.
See more at: http://www.ncpa.org/pub/bg160?pg=4#sthash.GHkFAbia.dpuf

Forager look about one inch to the left and a smidget higher to the entrance wound. Also there seems to be injuries lower down on her neck that appears to be similar to close range gunpowder tattooing or long range satellite pellet holes. jmo

But I thought I'd done a perfectly adequate job of dodging the question the first time! I will, however, now try to bring the full weight of my fifteen minute education in the subject to bear.

I'm reading the dark redish brown dotting on her lower neck as dried blood left over after a quick wiping. If it were tatooing from the result of unburned gunpowder, or damage from glass fragments spraying in from the right of the picture, I would have expected the damage to be worse on the right side of her neck (her left side), and not spread evenly across the front of her lower neck / upper chest as it appears in the photo.

But I agree that that little brownish red crescent a bit to the left and above the entrance wound is trauma of some sort. The doctors seem to have done so little with it - not so much as a butterfly stitch or dab of surgical glue - that I don't think it is an entrance wound. Maybe damage from flying glass that deflected away before penetrating?

I wish I understood the bruising better. I'll see if I can get a surgeon I know who has put time in at an inner city ER to see if he can give us a steer as PrairieWind had suggested earlier.

All in my amateur opinion, of course.

The picture of Cori's neck

Here's something from WTVR, but not sure how it's related yet, if anyone can help me figure it out. The image and the story differ, the image may not be related to CO at all.

petersburg-bullet-hole.jpeg

shattered-window-6pkg-trans.jpg

from here
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/04/28/another-driver-has-window-shattered-causes-remain-a-mystery/

Fifth-Car-Window-Shattered-On-Colorado-Road2.jpg

From here:
http://cdanews.com/2015/04/fifth-car-window-shattered-on-colorado-road/

Posting for reference, car shot, unrelated:

http://fox21news.com/2015/04/11/two...d-car-chase-in-southeastern-colorado-springs/

http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/Man-Fires-Shots-at-Carjacker-271167041.html

A PS to my last post about Cori's injuries.

I noticed something in the Romero neck photos that may support your suggestion of a smaller second entrance wound. In the earliest of the three photos, there is a streak of angry skin running toward the left of the picture and ending in a couple of small welts with dots of scab in their centers, just over the stitched exit wound. The red streak has an inch long tail of faintly bruised flesh to the right. It looks to me as if a particle ran a second, smaller path of destruction under the skin and exited to make a tiny hole or two. An inch and half farther to the right is the line of scab that you thought might be an entrance point.

Earliest shot, with drains

In the later shot of the stitched up exit wound, the spot is still red, with faint bruising along the line of the streak.

romero neck exit wound on her right.png

During the same interview:

Romero exit wound still stiches.png

That sounds consistent with a conventional bullet hitting the window hard enough to kick off a fragment of itself, and that fragment went on to make the supposed the second path. But if you assume a damaged bullet, you have a harder time explaining how it was that it passed so cleanly thru the front of Cori's throat. I keep thinking that a good explanation will come to me, but it isn't.

Could a little swarm of frangible bullet particles do that? I did note that Cori, in this 4/30/15 Fox31 MACRADEE AEGERTER interview, said that she "the surgery itself was just to clean it up, make sure that nothing was left in there."

So no clear answers, but I tried.

Expert: NoCo shooter likely escalating criminal past
Coloradoan staff, 2:57 pm mdt June 12, 15

"Criminologist Don Lindley thinks the person or people responsible for three unsolved shootings in Northern Colorado is likely escalating a criminal past."

[...]

"In a candid interview with the Coloradoan, Lindley called for people to arm themselves &#8212; with information as much as a weapon &#8212; as the area law enforcement continue to investigate the three shootings that may be linked."

[...]

~ * ~​

RBBM hmm...

~ * ~​

Editorial: Don't let fear take hold after shootings

The Coloradoan Editorial Board

2:54 pm mdt June 12, '15

The Coloradoan

[...]

"makes requests and has shared everything it knows to date. We will

[.... continue to provide]

"clarity in an ever-confusing and complex series of incidents."

[...]

"Don't, however, read this as a call for residents to seek justice; we're not encouraging vigilantism."

[...]

"But when fear sets in, remember .

Fort Collins remains a safe community, and the more we talk openly about what's happened and how we feel, the more we normalize and the less fear dominates."

~ * ~​

A PS to my last post about Cori's injuries.

I noticed something in the Romero neck photos that may support your suggestion of a smaller second entrance wound. In the earliest of the three photos, there is a streak of angry skin running toward the left of the picture and ending in a couple of small welts with dots of scab in their centers, just over the stitched exit wound. The red streak has an inch long tail of faintly bruised flesh to the right. It looks to me as if a particle ran a second, smaller path of destruction under the skin and exited to make a tiny hole or two. An inch and half farther to the right is the line of scab that you thought might be an entrance point.

Earliest shot, with drains

In the later shot of the stitched up exit wound, the spot is still red, with faint bruising along the line of the streak.

View attachment 76265

During the same interview:

View attachment 76264

That sounds consistent with a conventional bullet hitting the window hard enough to kick off a fragment of itself, and that fragment went on to make the supposed the second path. But if you assume a damaged bullet, you have a harder time explaining how it was that it passed so cleanly thru the front of Cori's throat. I keep thinking that a good explanation will come to me, but it isn't.

Could a little swarm of frangible bullet particles do that? I did note that Cori, in this 4/30/15 Fox31 MACRADEE AEGERTER interview, said that she "the surgery itself was just to clean it up, make sure that nothing was left in there."

So no clear answers, but I tried.

Thanx Forager.. The following gel test video illustrates how the 'Green' frangible bullet breaks up into smaller particles/projectiles upon contact with hard surfaces. In the hollow point they will come apart when impacting things like sheet rock, plywood, and auto glass. Even after coming in contact with hard surfaces, the bullet has to penetrate. The slow motion YouTube video below shows a 45 cal hollow point impacting perma-jell. The nose of the bullet comes apart to create multiple wound channels. The base stays in tact and keeps on penetrating.
Forager, Guess we are searching for an environmentally friendly Serial Shooter/Killer, mindful of and sensitive to the natural environment. With the exception of the innocent victims' lives. The Go Green Initiative is one of the primary reasons that many Law Enforcement Agencies; state, federal, and local, have switched to frangible ammo..

Imo, the Regis University Criminologist/Professor in the 7NEWS article below is mis-underestimating and misunderstanding of the CO Serial Shooter/Killers' motives, mental capabilities, background, experience, as well as his perceived justification for deliberately violating the principles of right and wrong. The criminologists' profile/generic description of the unknown perp is way off base, imo. Imo, the shooter/killer is likely a family man, who does not have a menial job, but has served many years in a highly regarded professional career of authority, which he has recently lost due to flagrant rule violations or poor performance which included impulsive violent behavior, induced by pent up anger. Imo, in his mind, he feels that he was unjustly fired.. Sending his world into an uncontrollable downward spiral.. Vindictive, he blames society. His motive is revenge/retribution against the same investigative agencies who has been blindly and unsuccessfully searching for him for almost two months now.. while he remains stealth and the innocent victim count continues to mount.. jmho

Serial snipers/killers enjoy having power and control over other people, especially over another persons' life. It is common knowledge that this obsession with unbridled power may explain why so many serial predators are attracted to police work, imo..
While many serial predators hide behind their evil masks of normalcy to remain stealth. Others simply hide in plain sight, behind their very powerful badges of authority... jmho

The Criminologist tells 7NEWS he believes the crimes are likely connected and the work of one gunman.
The Regis University professor spent decades in law enforcement before earning his doctorate in criminology.

7NEWS asked him to look at the unsolved cases on April 22nd, May 18th and June 3rd in northern Colorado involving seemingly random shootings. Only one of the victims survived.
"If this is one individual, we're talking about a psychopath," Lindley said. "They lack empathy. They can't identify with you. They don't care about you. They have no remorse."
Lindley believes the suspect is a loner who stays out at night, likely works a menial job, if any, and has very few friends.

"You're really looking for an unusual mental degenerate," Lindley said.
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...oter-is-likely-a-man-a-loner-and-a-psychopath

ICC Ammo Frangible Ammunition Booth Ballistics gel testing ...
[video=youtube;9pBrwFld-V4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pBrwFld-V4[/video]

rsbm;

After a little more research I found that they are already available, at lest for a 'Airguns', a variant of BB guns. Invented for specialty ball bearings applications, ceramic (silicon nitride) balls are super 'hard', with a hardness (Mohs scale) rating close to that of diamonds. (New York Times 7/20/93 ). They flatten less less than a conventional BB at the point of impact, allowing them to focus their energy on a smaller point - the key in breaking tempered glass. They are lighter than metal BB's, which would decrease their range and impact at longer ranges, but uniformity apparently gives them a marginal advantage in accuracy.

I don't think it's necessary to assume such specialty ammunition to explain the shatterings. Once I started searching for BB's and windows, I saw a zillion articles about how effective regular BB's and pellets can be against tempered glass.

But ceramic BB's might have an advantage in stealth. They appear to be shiny and either black or off-white, and might thus be less likely to attract the eye of a crime scene investigator looking for zinc or copper plated BB's. I haven't been able to figure out whether they are likely to shatter on impact with glass.

(sorry, still no double uus, etc on my keyboard)

Interesting. They uuould not be found uuith a metal detector either...I uuouldn't mind seeing a pic of these...

Yes the other two were tied fairly quickly, SugarQueen.. The third victim would elevate this investigation to a Serial Killer Task Force investigation. Not sure if this is the reason for the silence, but it may be.. Serial murder is a relatively rare event, estimated to comprise less than one percent of all murders committed in any given year. Serial murder is a relatively rare event, estimated to comprise less than one percent of all murders committed in any given year. jmo

<BBM for focus>

I agree about the different weapons, searchingirl. This is one of a couple reasons that I believe that frangible ammunition is being used by the CO serial shooter to confuse the investigation.
This very cagey, likely very intelligent, confident, forensically and investigative aware; psychopathic predator, seems to be escalating. He utilizes random unsuspecting victims, multiple police jurisdictions, multiple firearms, possibly multiple vehicles, frangible and conventional bullets..
Frangible bullets cause gun barrel tinning, which means a layer of tin builds up in the barrel of the gun & then conventional bullets can not be forensically matched to the gun. The fired conventional bullets will have no identifying markings..

FBI Serial Murder
http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/serial-murder

The topic of serial murder occupies a unique niche within the criminal justice community. In addition to the significant investigative challenges they bring to law enforcement, serial murder cases attract an over-abundance of attention from the media, mental health experts, academia, and the general public..

As serial killers continue to offend without being captured, they can become empowered, feeling they will never be identified. As the series continues, the killers may begin to take shortcuts when committing their crimes. This often causes the killers to take more chances, leading to identification by law enforcement. It is not that serial killers want to get caught; they feel that they can’t get caught.

High profile investigations present a multitude of leadership challenges for law enforcement, from investigators to police executives. Law enforcement personnel may face external pressures from political entities, victims’ families, and the media. Collectively, strong management throughout the chain of command must continually reinforce the supreme goal of the investigation: To arrest and prosecute the offender.
<snipped - read more>

From above "he utilizes...multiple police jurisdictions";

Again, as a local, I find it possibly significant that so far he seems to have avoided Boulder County...Adams also, for that matter, jmo, knock on uuood...

<BBM for Focus>
PrairieWind, it is my understanding that due to significant gun barrel tinning when using frangible ammunition, the bullet has no signature. The frangible ammo which shatters into many small pieces on impact, also defeats ballistic identification.
See more at: http://www.ncpa.org/pub/bg160?pg=4#sthash.GHkFAbia.dpuf

Interesting, "lands and grooves", right, that they aluuays shouu on ID...makes sense... just houu small exactly are these pieces? Tia (again, sorry about my computer)

"
Profiler sheds light on serial shooting suspect&#8217;s motivations,
Justin Joseph FOX31, KDVR,,
10:19 pm, June 12, 15, speaks with an expert who explains a profile of the shooter he has considered.

View attachment 76258

Uuhat is glib, lol

(insert posh accent) Glib: " (of uuords or the people speaking them) fluent and voluble but insincere and shallouu" ; she uuas careful not to let the ansuuer sound too glib"

Synonyms: slick, pat, fast-talking, smooth talking"

I don't agree uuith this, that he's glib, (even though i just learned uuhat that uuord means, jmo.) The other stuff I agree uuith, jmo. One shall see, I hope, soon.

*just had an idea houu to fix the no double uu's, this should uuork, sorry about that, if so, uuill go up and correct my posts!

(Double you, UUho kneuu it uuouild be such an important letter---UUho, UUhat, UUhere, UUhen, UUhy, and of course, UUebsleuths.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member