DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #17

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Purely from a spiritual standpoint.....I don't think it's ever to late to change our lives. You'll have wasted moments in your life, sometimes those moments span for years. But I don't personally believe that anyone's life is worthless and beyond change no matter how old they are. Sometimes those people leave a lot of destruction in their path, unforgivable things. But, we all have at least the "choice" to change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree. But one's choice to change has no bearing on facing the consequences of one's actions.

I don’t know what lies LE told. I don’t know what lies JW told. But I don’t believe JW lied simply because LE wrote that he admitted he lied. LE perhaps mischaracterized JW’s answers. JW was probably in distress, despair and shock. While trying to recall the sequence of events, along with LE questioning JW, as well as providing some details they already knew, JW could have innocently just been trying to get all the facts straight.

Let’s imagine this scenario:
JW - When I arrived at the house, the garage door was open. I parked my car and walked into the garage. First thing, I located the key to unlock the car door. But I then found the car was unlocked, so I opened the car door and put the envelope on the driver’s seat. I closed the car door, locked the car, exited the garage, and closed the garage door.
LE – Why did you locate the key to unlock the car door if the car door was unlocked?
JW – I know where the key is hidden and it’s usually locked.
LE – But you just told me that the car was locked.
JW – I didn’t think I told you that, but if I did, then what I said wasn’t true. The car was unlocked.

This dialogue could have been mischaracterized by LE and resulted in these statements by LE in the affidavit:
W-1 stated when he arrived at 3201 Woodland Drive he went inside of the garage, located a key to unlock the door to the car in the garage, and placed the envelope on the drivers seat. After placing the envelope on the drivers seat, W-1 locked the vehicle and exited the garage and closed the door to same.
Furthermore, W-1 admitted that IT lied when IT stated the vehicle was locked, W-1 stated the vehicle was unlocked and that IT left the envelope which contained the money in the vehicle.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m0sbjtcn1j6vkpz/266278174-Daron-Dylon-Wint-Charging-Documents.pdf?dl=0

OR LE could have reported what JW told them initially, and what he told them when confronted with evidence to the contrary.

I don't remember the attorney or the cop saying innocent people would lie in interviews. IIRC, the attorney said innocent people's statements could be misinterpreted and used against them. I don't remember either of them saying innocent people could be made to lie. JMO

Why Not Talk to the Police 13:40
3. Even if your client is innocent
and denies his guilt and mostly tells
the truth, he can easily get carried
away and tell some little lie or make
some little mistake that will hang
him.

I agree. But one's choice to change has no bearing on facing the consequences of one's actions.

It absolutely does. Consequences bring change.........which is why we teach from a very young age......."this is the consequence of your behavior". Incarceration is the very reason we incarcerate........to try and change behavior. Consequences ideally bring about change. IDEALLY. Completely disagree with that statement. It is the very reason we have consequences. Best phrase I ever heard......."the best lesson is a bought lesson". That purchase is a different currency to everyone. JMO.

OR LE could have reported what JW told them initially, and what he told them when confronted with evidence to the contrary.

Yes, that is what could have happened. But I don't believe that is what happened. I think LE mischaracterized JW's statements.

Why Not Talk to the Police 13:40
him.

I don't see how LE makes the "mostly" telling the truth innocent person lie. That person gets carried away and lies, because it's "human nature" or something, not because LE makes him/her do it.

It absolutely does. Consequences bring change.........which is why we teach from a very young age......."this is the consequence of your behavior". Incarceration is the very reason we incarcerate........to try and change behavior. Consequences ideally bring about change. IDEALLY. Completely disagree with that statement. It is the very reason we have consequences. Best phrase I ever heard......."the best lesson is a bought lesson". That purchase is a different currency to everyone. JMO.

I didn't speak clearly. What I meant to say is one's decision to change does not abrogate one's responsibility to deal with the consequences of one's previous actions. Sorry!

Yes, that is what could have happened. But I don't believe that is what happened. I think LE mischaracterized JW's statements.

Do you believe LE mischaracterized JW's statement based on knowledge of these investigators particularly, LE in general or JW specifically? I don't know for sure what was said and who is lying in the sworn affidavit. I'm interested in what makes you confident that LE is lying and JW, with a history of lying, did not lie, but was mischaracterized or entrapped by LE. I might sound snarky because it's late and I'm tired, but I'm actually truly interested in understanding what you think.

I don't see how LE makes the "mostly" telling the truth innocent person lie. That person gets carried away and lies, because it's "human nature" or something, not because LE makes him/her do it.

Later in the video, he explains numerous examples of this. I recall you stated you watched the entire video.

I agree, (all future tense of course) once he gets charged, serves his time, ... then I am all for redemption!!!

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by jjenny
He explains really well why innocent people might lie during police questioning.

rkf:
I don't remember the attorney or the cop saying innocent people would lie in interviews. IIRC, the attorney said innocent people's statements could be misinterpreted and used against them. I don't remember either of them saying innocent people could be made to lie. JMO

Later in the video, he explains numerous examples of this. I recall you stated you watched the entire video.

Above dialogue is a simple example of how words and thoughts get skewed and twisted so quickly and easily. There was no initial statement about LE making someone lie. But that is what is being argued "innocent people could be made to lie " and "because LE makes him/her do it "

I did and I really enjoyed it. Thank you for posting it. I thought both of the men were great and interesting speakers! But I don't recall them saying LE would make an innocent person lie. I know they said people could say stuff that they thought was totally unrelated to the crime in question that LE would then twist to their own nefarious purposes.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by SeesSeas

Do you believe LE mischaracterized JW's statement based on knowledge of these investigators particularly, LE in general or JW specifically? I don't know for sure what was said and who is lying in the sworn affidavit. I'm interested in what makes you confident that LE is lying and JW, with a history of lying, did not lie, but was mischaracterized or entrapped by LE. I might sound snarky because it's late and I'm tired, but I'm actually truly interested in understanding what you think.

I never wrote that I was "confident that LE is lying and JW... did not lie". This is a good example of mischaracterization.
I wrote "But I don't believe that is what happened. I think LE mischaracterized JW's statements. "

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by jjenny
He explains really well why innocent people might lie during police questioning.

rkf:

Above dialogue is a simple example of how words and thoughts get skewed and twisted so quickly and easily. There was no initial statement about LE making someone lie. But that is what is being argued "innocent people could be made to lie " and "because LE makes him/her do it "

You are 100% correct IMO. If someone chooses to lie (might lie) and is not cornered into doing it, I still think the person doing the lying is responsible for his/her choice to do so. I have a problem with LE "trapping" and out-smarting an interviewee in an effort to "catch them in a lie". But if someone decides s/he want to lie to LE when s/he has been asked to help LE with an investigation, I'm not going to give him/her a pass just because s/he is lying to is LE, rather than me, their boss, their mother, their spouse, etc.

I did and I really enjoyed it. Thank you for posting it. I thought both of the men were great and interesting speakers! But I don't recall them saying LE would make an innocent person lie. I know they said people could say stuff that they thought was totally unrelated to the crime in question that LE would then twist to their own nefarious purposes.

You can watch again, and start at 13:40 for the overview of Reason #3, then watch through 27:00 to look for the specific examples about Reason #3.
Why Not Talk to the Police
him.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by SeesSeas

I never wrote that I was "confident that LE is lying and JW... did not lie". This is a good example of mischaracterization.
I wrote "But I don't believe that is what happened. I think LE mischaracterized JW's statements. "

Okay, again, my misspeaking... Do you believe LE mischaracterized JW's statement based on knowledge of these investigators particularly, LE in general or JW specifically? I don't know for sure what was said and who is lying in the sworn affidavit. I'm interested in what makes you believe that LE is lying and JW, with a history of lying, did not lie, but was mischaracterized or entrapped by LE. I might sound snarky because it's late and I'm tired, but I'm actually truly interested in understanding what you think.

BBM

You are 100% correct IMO. If someone chooses to lie (might lie) and is not cornered into doing it, I still think the person doing the lying is responsible for his/her choice to do so. I have a problem with LE "trapping" and out-smarting an interviewee in an effort to "catch them in a lie". But if someone decides s/he want to lie to LE when s/he has been asked to help LE with an investigation, I'm not going to give him/her a pass just because s/he is lying to is LE, rather than me, their boss, their mother, their spouse, etc.

I'm not following how your explanation relates to the skewing I pointed out in the posts. But, it is late.... so maybe I don't 'get it'. I'll read again later in the day.

ETA: The witness may be innocent of the crime being discussed, but they are not innocent of lying to LE. Depending on the crime, the lying may be more or less serious than the crime s/he is at the PD to discuss. Also, AFAI can tell, the video focused on people who were suspects in a crime, not people who were there as "witnesses", not suspected of any crime.

It is easy for me to see how an innocent person speaking with LE may get mixed up by throwing in an extra sentence to explain the situation, however, that little sentence gave a new context to the whole scenario and things are being questioned that have no meaning to the story. Eek, how many times do we do that and then realize the mess we caused! But now that it.has come up, it has to br checked out!
To me, this is the type of smear io they are describing.

Okay, again, my misspeaking... Do you believe LE mischaracterized JW's statement based on knowledge of these investigators particularly, LE in general or JW specifically? I don't know for sure what was said and who is lying in the sworn affidavit. I'm interested in what makes you believe that LE is lying and JW, with a history of lying, did not lie, but was mischaracterized or entrapped by LE. I might sound snarky because it's late and I'm tired, but I'm actually truly interested in understanding what you think.

BBM

Misspeaking happens often - it's human nature. Even with JW. Even with LE.

You write "I don't know for sure what was said."
BINGO! I, too, don't know for sure what was said."
None of us on WS (to my knowledge) know for sure what was said.
Since we don't know what was said, we certainly don't know who is lying and who is telling the truth.
LE has power because they wrote the affidavit. JW didn't agree to the words in the affidavit, and until it was unsealed, JW would have not known what LE wrote about what he supposedly said or did.
Think outside the box. Just because LE wrote the report does not mean it is accurate. Did LE intentionally lie or mischaracterize. Hmmm, I don't know. But I personally KNOW circumstances where LE has lied under oath. Why? Favorable outcome.
My thoughts... the scenario with the $40,000 being transferred, transported, and delivered is SO KOOKY, that LE must have quickly decided that JW is guilty of something serious related to this horrific crime. Most people would think this (human nature). LE has the power to write their affidavit with a spin, slant, lie, mischaracterization (or whatever other word fits), to shape a view that would be in line with their thoughts... that JW is guilty of something. And, so here we are on WS debating about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NaniMom