WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had a thought. We have discussed the possibility that this man could have a connection to the events of 9/11. I wonder if there is a list somewhere with pictures of men who have never been found. What if he was supposed to be there that day, but was not. Then he gets depressed and kills himself? I'm going to try to find any such lists.

I'm having no luck. Does anyone know if there are any lists with pictures that were put out after the recovery was over?

Hi Gardenmom.

Since he doesn't appear to be Middle Eastern I had discounted that idea. There was a man however who was caught at the Wa/Canadian border I believe who was involved with 9-11. Could they have known each other? I'll have to go look and see what date this guy was arrrested from Canada.

It might be in the back of my mind though because I wondered if he might be a Moslem and pray like they do.

Scandi

ETA: I was wrong, and that was Rassam who had a car load of explosives and planned to blow up LAX on the Millenium. :doh:

I've reread the report and statements from the first Deputy at the scene. He had conducted interviews with the staff. When the maid knocked on the door Monday morning, she got no response, so she opened the door. She saw the man kneeling and "thought" he was praying. She called the manager, who arrived some time later (I'm not sure of the time frame, but I don't believe it was a long time) and found him hanging from the coat rack. I'm thinking he wasn't praying, but was hanging when she saw him. I'l describe the room to you, and what the maid saw: The unit is rather small, the door is located on the West wall on the South end. The rest of the West wall has a picture window. Just inside the door, there is a desk against the South wall. At the North wall is the bed, and East of the bed is a nightstand and a chair. On the East wall (South end) there is a door leading to the bathroom. North of that is a small refrigerator, and next to that in the North corner of the wall is a small alcove that holds the metal clothes rack. Lyle is facing the East wall. When the maid looked in, she saw his back. He would have appeared to be kneeling, with his arms to his sides, and his head tilted back as though he is looking towards the ceiling. The belt is wrapped around his neck, with the buckle at the front of his throat. The belt strap goes up over his chin to the metal clothes rack, forcing his head to tilt back. We didn't reinterview the maid, but in reading her description, I believe Lyle was already dead. When I arrived several hours later, rigor and lividity was present, and I had concluded he had died sometime earlier, perhaps Sunday. Once we established that it was a suicide, my main focus was on identification.

coldcaseman said:
. . .When the maid looked in, she saw his back. He would have appeared to be kneeling, with his arms to his sides, and his head tilted back as though he is looking towards the ceiling. The belt is wrapped around his neck, with the buckle at the front of his throat. The belt strap goes up over his chin to the metal clothes rack, forcing his head to tilt back. We didn't reinterview the maid, but in reading her description, I believe Lyle was already dead. When I arrived several hours later, rigor and lividity was present, and I had concluded he had died sometime earlier, perhaps Sunday. . .
Very clear description and good conclusions and I think you just explained why you seemed to remember him having been dead longer than the initial description of the case seemed to indicate.

At that newspaper website thedailyworld.com you can't search for an entire archived news paper by date earlier than Jan 2005 but you can search by date for a specific word. I mention this because although you have to put a word in the blank on the search form it can be the word "the" (without the quotes.) and you get pretty much all articles written in the date range you specified. This would not work on most major news sites as most will not allow searches for 3 letter words or words such as "and" or "the" but we got lucky with this website.

coldcaseman said:
I've reread the report and statements from the first Deputy at the scene. He had conducted interviews with the staff. When the maid knocked on the door Monday morning, she got no response, so she opened the door. She saw the man kneeling and "thought" he was praying. She called the manager, who arrived some time later (I'm not sure of the time frame, but I don't believe it was a long time) and found him hanging from the coat rack. I'm thinking he wasn't praying, but was hanging when she saw him. I'l describe the room to you, and what the maid saw: The unit is rather small, the door is located on the West wall on the South end. The rest of the West wall has a picture window. Just inside the door, there is a desk against the South wall. At the North wall is the bed, and East of the bed is a nightstand and a chair. On the East wall (South end) there is a door leading to the bathroom. North of that is a small refrigerator, and next to that in the North corner of the wall is a small alcove that holds the metal clothes rack. Lyle is facing the East wall. When the maid looked in, she saw his back. He would have appeared to be kneeling, with his arms to his sides, and his head tilted back as though he is looking towards the ceiling. The belt is wrapped around his neck, with the buckle at the front of his throat. The belt strap goes up over his chin to the metal clothes rack, forcing his head to tilt back. We didn't reinterview the maid, but in reading her description, I believe Lyle was already dead. When I arrived several hours later, rigor and lividity was present, and I had concluded he had died sometime earlier, perhaps Sunday. Once we established that it was a suicide, my main focus was on identification.
Thanks for the room description

I seem to remember seeing that a study was once done using dna samples to track peoples as they migrated across the world from ancient times until now.
It made me decide to do a web search on the use of dna and native americans since there was speculation about his heritage. I found this, among other results:
. . .
Native American Ancestry DNA Testing

Genelex offers three DNA testing options to confirm Native American heritage.

• Ethnicity DNA Testing (AncestrybyDNA 2.5/DNA Identity Profile) provides a global overview of your genetic makeup giving you an estimated percentage of Native American, African, Indo-European, and Asian ancestry as well as a certificate of your unique genetic fingerprint.​
  • Maternal Line Native American Test (mtDNA for males or females) examines DNA from the maternal line (i.e., the mtDNA comes from the participant's Mother's, Mother's, Mother, etc.) for genetic markers unique to Native Americans.​
  • Paternal Line Native American Test (Y-chromosome for males only) examines DNA from the paternal line (i.e., the Y-chromosome comes from the participant's Father's, Father's, Father, etc.) for genetic markers unique to Native Americans. . .​
Obviously they are trying to sell their test services at that website but it illustrates that testing is possible for that info.​
I also found this more conservative article on the subject.​
I am still researching so who knows what else will turn up.​

scandi said:
Hi Gardenmom.

Since he doesn't appear to be Middle Eastern I had discounted that idea. There was a man however who was caught at the Wa/Canadian border I believe who was involved with 9-11. Could they have known each other? I'll have to go look and see what date this guy was arrrested from Canada.

It might be in the back of my mind though because I wondered if he might be a Moslem and pray like they do.

Scandi

ETA: I was wrong, and that was Rassam who had a car load of explosives and planned to blow up LAX on the Millenium. :doh:
I think you misunderstood. I don't think he was a terrorist, but someone who maybe worked in the building that day who is unaccounted for.

http://209.206.175.157/nugguam.htm

Docwho3, I thought I would take another look at the Quinalt tribe - your guy is definitely not Lyle - his name is Guy Capoeman, and he is very much alive and well. Thought you would like to know the positive ruling out.

I had sent fliers of Lyle to the Quinault Nation, and someone should have recognized him if he was a member. I had looked at the three missing people before. Robert Rock has Lyles "earlobes", but the rest of the ear is wrong.

I'm sure most of you are aware, but the center for missing adults has the photos I took of Lyle. They are much better to work with than the sketch on the Doe network. Doenetwork doesn't show actual photos of dead people (and I really worked to make Lyle look alive), One thing I didn't do was comb his hair. When I first saw him, his hair was combed straight back.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/mourra_salvatore.html

mourra_salvatore.jpg

I just did a side by side and I can really see similarities that way. The eyebrows are identical, and the nose is very similar. The chin has the same dimple. I cannot tell about the squared chin, but this guy is heavier. However, he went missing in 2000, so he had time to lose weight. There is 2" difference in height, but that could be mistaken on either end. I tell everyone my husband is 6'2", and he will tell you he is 6'1". Same with brown vs hazel eyes. Do you know if there is any more info on this guy? It was said he was suicidal when he went missing.

I have been reading the post since june but just decided to reply. When i did a search on his address it comes up as a best western. He looks familiar but i cant place where i have seen his picture before. since i live in alaska a lot of people travel up here from the northwest

coldcaseman said:
I had sent fliers of Lyle to the Quinault Nation, and someone should have recognized him if he was a member. I had looked at the three missing people before. Robert Rock has Lyles "earlobes", but the rest of the ear is wrong.
I wondered if there were fliers given out- great info

Now that you have explained how he was and his location in the room Coldcaseman, I am sure you are right. He was already dead. How many hours for rigor to set in again, what 5 - 8 and full at 12 or so. I'd have to go back and check. I don'[t know what time you got there, but it should be easy math to figure out an average for time of death. Didn't the coroner discover that?

Well, I do hope this maid has fared OK since she was the one who had talked to him everyday and then he died on her, in essence. I would be traumatized and not be able to get his presence out of my mind, knowing he was there and then suddenly took a drastic move and stopped living.

I still think he had a backpack and gave it a toss into the lake after he weighted it down, once he had reconciled himself with his planned death.

I still don't know why he bought a Sunday paper. I think he planned his death for Monday morning, which is why he told the maid he would be there a few more days. What would that significance be?

The only thing about him doing this like he did that was kind to anyone at all was really to the maid. It was inadvertant, but she thought he was praying.

Scandi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member