WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm all for it. Someone KNOWS who he is. I want his family to know where he is, that we took care of him.

docwho3 said:
Maybe if we talk up the mystery side of it we can interest them in showing the case. All we can do is try and if we get turned down we just have to find another way. Also I think the viewing public has more apetite for unsolved cases,and CSI shows of all types now as compared to the years past. I have been watching one such show from time to time called 48 hours where they show the first 48 hours of an investigation when a body is found. I guess I am just saying that I think our chances are better this year of 2006 & into 2007 than they would have been in 2001 or even in 2004 . . . . .how much better remains to be seen.
Great idea!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

I sent an e-mail to Cold Case Files about this case- they've never e-mailed me back

outofthedark said:
Great idea!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

I sent an e-mail to Cold Case Files about this case- they've never e-mailed me back
Maybe we need for 10 or 15 of us to all send emails to them if one does not do the trick? I don't mind being a squeaky annoying (but polite) wheel if it helps get the case solved. Anyone else have any ideas of who else to contact first 2nd and 3rd?

I think it is a great idea as well, and am forming a plan that might work! LOL

There is a wonderful TV News channel associated with NBC out of Seattle. In our area it is called Northwest News because it covers the spectrum of the whole Northwest that includes Oregonm Washington and Idaho at times. I watch it sometimes because they often have personal interest stories. They have a husband and wife team that report the news, and I don't know who would be the one to contact, but a call to her would be a good way to start a line of conversation:

We have a local Northwest investigator who has just retired after 30 years, and was well known for solving almost every case he worked. He left his position with 3 cases dear to his heart because they are not yet solved. In his retirement now he is still searching for answers as to who these people were. And one man in particular, who he calls Lyle, is an unusual case, because he did not fit the pattern of the normal suicide that investigators deal with on a regular basis. He thinks Lyle deserves a final resting place near his family. And he is always searching out ways to put a given name to Lyle so he can really go back home.

Pan to drawing of Lyle as found, then pan to drawing of Lyle as he might have looked in the Spring of 2001 when he was 30 or so lbs heavier. Now pan to live shot of Lauren with his Sherlock cap standing in that cemetery talking to the reporter who interviews him as he explains how it has been 5 years since Lyle died and that is not too long to still find out who he is, etc. etc. etc. But time is of the essence, as every day that goes by makes solving a case more difficullt. And then CCM's last post would be the true message to impart as why he feels it is so important to ID him.

Just an idea there, but I seem to think this partuicular station would be very interested in doing a spot on Lyle as it would be human interest also about the 30 year detective who is still hard at work. Gosh, I think it is a winner of a way to go, as this stations coverage is quite wide I believe and their shows are repeated every so many hours over and over. It is live one time till they reshoot a new live report, and in the interim it keeps on a rolling. That spot would be shown umpteen times which would give Lyle much more exposure, right?

Then I think a promo type article like the one that ran in the Daily News should be pointed in the local Aberdeen, Port Angeles Seattle PI, Spokane, etc papers to co-ordinate with the TV spot. A little blitz to find a name, because every life matters. Maybe run it around Thanksgiving when people are open to giving thanks and helping others.

'Did you know this man in 2001?'

Scandi

ETA: Here is their Homepage - http://www.nwcn.com/

docwho3 said:
Maybe we need for 10 or 15 of us to all send emails to them if one does not do the trick? I don't mind being a squeaky annoying (but polite) wheel if it helps get the case solved. Anyone else have any ideas of who else to contact first 2nd and 3rd?
I e-mailed his case to America's Most Wanted and here's what they e-mailed me back with:

Dear Viewer:

Thank you for writing to America's Most Wanted. We're so sorry to hear
of the terrible tragedy you've had to endure*. We know you would like a
response as soon as possible; however, America's Most Wanted only
accepts requests for stories or segments through the mail. Please send
your request to:

America's Most Wanted
P.O. Box Crime TV
Washington, DC 20016-9126

Please send a concise letter regarding the occurrence, a photograph of
the victim and suspect, any newspaper clippings, police reports and the
name and phone number of the detective investigating this case. Please
allow 8-10 weeks for a response from the producers. All material sent
to the producers will not be returned. If you can not provide this
information to the producers, please give this to the victim's family
or
the detective investigating this crime.

Sincerely,
Operator 6911

And here's what I said to them on their website:

think this unsolved case could be something the show could
air:

http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/233umwa.html

* Never once in my message did I ever say it was a terrible tragedy that I had to endure!! :banghead:

I should have sent them another email asking them if they actually read my message properly :waitasec: :twocents:

scandi said:
I think it is a great idea as well, and am forming a plan that might work! LOL. . .
Cool! Lets go for it as well as all other the national things like Nancy Grace and Greta and all the rest.

Also I found a link to a post by one of the site moderators that has address contact info for some shows.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=952813&postcount=1

The post was made near the end of January of this year (2006 for those reading this post in later years.)
If any of the addresses have changed we can go to thir websites and get uptodate contact info.

Edited to add: The addresses to national shows are at the bottom of the list.

I think we all think some dynamic exposure on the case in the media now is what is needed. If Lauren has an idea that Lyle has been living in the NW then that is the area we need to concentrate on. If he thinks he maybe came from out of the NW to Gray's Harbor, that would mean a national media source for coverage, right?

Then we need to figure out how to get them to cover a suicide which rarely moves people to listen. I'm wondering even though it is an unusual case will anyone cover it because he committed suicide!

Scandi

outofthedark said:
I e-mailed his case to America's Most Wanted and here's what they e-mailed me back with:

Dear Viewer:

Thank you for writing to America's Most Wanted. We're so sorry to hear
of the terrible tragedy you've had to endure*. . . .
Good first try! I think we have to be prepared to be persistent.

scandi said:
. . .I'm wondering even though it is an unusual case will anyone cover it because he committed suicide!. . .
Only way to find out is to try and see what happens.

I agree Doc. There is one factor here that is a plus in them doing a story or printing an article in the paper. The lead investigator retiring is an added himan interest story they will love. Covering this suicide will certainly be secondary to the station I think, but at least Lyle's pic can be splashed over cable news in this tri-state area.

I'm anxious to see what Coldcaseman thinks, and to see if he thinks the county might still pop to have a new sketch drawn with the added 30 lbs. That has to be a forensic artist, right?

Scandi

gardenmom said:
I just had a thought. We have discussed the possibility that this man could have a connection to the events of 9/11.
Hi Gardenmom,
I brought that up on post #2.
Respectfully,
dark_shadows

coldcaseman said:
Lividity was consistant with suspension hanging. There was no swelling on his face. The eye appears swollen due to my attempt to open his eyes and make him look "alive". All of his clothing were brands found in North America. I found nothing foreign. Another point that wasn't in the flier was that the $20 bills he left for the room were crisp, as though he had just gotten them from a bank. There is no bank nearby.QUOTE]
coldcaseman,
Please explain that the lividity was consistant with hanging.

Why would his eyes be swollen in an attempt to make him look alive when he was deseased.
The crisp bills could have been distributed from an ATM at a bank or a store that has ATM machines prior to his trip and kept in his wallett.It is not unusual to carry a crisp bill.
Respectfully,
dark_shadows

coldcaseman said:
When the maid knocked on the door Monday morning, she got no response, so she opened the door. She saw the man kneeling and "thought" he was praying. She called the manager, who arrived some time later (I'm not sure of the time frame, but I don't believe it was a long time) and found him hanging
If she "thought" that he was praying,why did she call the manager?

The maid said she "thought" Lyle was praying, but I'm sure the knew what had happened, and she called the manager. There was lividity in his hands and lower legs where the blood had settled. The eyes looked alittle puffy from pushing the eyelids open. There was no puffiness to his eyes or face when I first saw him. The crisp bills suggest he either just got them from an ATM, or had them in a wallet or packed away. He didn't have them shoved in his pocket. I don't know if the Sheriffs Department would pay for a new sketch, but I'll check. The Doenetwork did one for free (because they don't show actual pictures). I prefer the actual photo, but I understand news agencies not wanting to upset viewers. I tried to get our local paper to run Lyles photo, but they ran the sketch instead, saying the photo was too graphic, and yet the same day the sketch ran, they showed the photo of a dead Iraqi 14 year old boy. Go figure.

I prefer the actual photo, but I understand news agencies not wanting to upset viewers. I tried to get our local paper to run Lyles photo, but they ran the sketch instead, saying the photo was too graphic, and yet the same day the sketch ran, they showed the photo of a dead Iraqi 14 year old boy. Go figure.
Pretty scary to think we have those people working for the media! I bet you anything the photo depicting the dead body made Lyle Stevik's photo look like Mr. Rogers

My school once posted a newspaper article on the wall and the picture was of a bunch of people holding up a large photo of a dead fugitive or political fugitive- can't remember...

Good morning Coldcaseman,

I trust your gut feeling that the maid knew what happened and wondered myself if she was alerted to anything out of the ordinary.

This morning I did some reading. Rigor Mortis is complete in 6 hours 72% of the time and 90% in 9 hours acc to Niderkorn to developed the formula in 1872. And rigor is slower to develop in hanging cases.

Lividity starts from 1/2 to 4 hours and is well developed at 8 hours, complete at 12 hours. And in hangings, small dark spots on the lower legs and hands are where lividity appears.

I don't know what time you arrived, but we know his condition at about noon. Do you think he had been dead about 8 hours or so when he was found? If so, it means he did this in the pre-dawn hours when it was still dark. It doesn't really have any bearing here except for interest and maybe showing his thought process.

I'm just curious CCM, did he position the buckle at the side of his neck?

Scandi

Hi Outofthedark.

Lividity works with gravity which is why you can see the position of the body at death. So I think these 2 dark spots on his face are moles.

I just went back and looked at his profile from the left. I immediately thought he was Egyptian! The slope of his forehead is the same as his nose, and from all the Egyptian artwork I have seen it looked very posible.

Scandi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member