WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
pardilia said:
Could he have hitchhiked to the region? He just strikes me as a man with at least *some* money - what if he found a cab driver and offered him $500 to drive him somewhere? It just seems to me that he put a lot of thought into this - into keeping a low profile and the money to finance his trip and just his general methodology. It seems like everything he did, he did for a reason - I agree that his family likely already knows what happened. Perhaps the key lies in finding the flaw in his plans?

As a side note, he strongly resembles an ex-aquaintance of mine who was of mixed heritage - Native American and Caucasian.
Telling by his appearance, he probably made alot of money because Timberland brand boots are quite expensive in the over hundred dollar range and Levi's aren't cheap either according to an online store

I couldn't find a brand name on the belt. On the inside are the words "genuine leather made in USA" along with "7301" and "L31". The buckle isn't silver, there are no markings on it.

Thanks Coldcaseman,

I think 7301 must be a style #. L31 would be the length of the belt, or is it for a 31 waist? I don't know how they measure belt sizes, but I thought there also is a waist size. I'm trying to discover if any of the holes relate to that L31 to determine how big around the waist he was.

Looks like there is an inch in-between holes, and the middle 3 holes have been used a lot, the middle one the most.

So it looks when he got the belt it fastened on the 2nd hold in. Say it fit good then and he lost 15 lbs in the next month, and had to go to the next notch down. He stalemated somewhat in losing his weight, and over the next 3 months only lost 8 or so lbs. Then he kind of lost is basic appetite and really had to remind himself to eat at certain times, and found himself having a loose belt, so he moved it down to the 3rd notch from the end. For the next month it seemed to fit OK, but towards the end of that month he realized every morning he had to tuck the end of the belt into the belt loop on his pants, and by the end of the month he had dropped another 13-15 lbs.

So he tightened it to the last notch the last week before he took out to travel to Gray's Harbor and Lake Quinault. Hardly any wear showed on that last notch. But he was already close to the end of it, very close to making that last move he had decided on many moons ago. And then it was the time, and this belt he had worn all through his mindbending trauma fulfilled its last use for him.

I think this belt is the timeline of his destruction, from the day he decided he had no desire to live and gave up caring about himself. Something awful happened to him at that time. The months are maybe wrong, but relative to how worn the belt was. Actually, the belt was quite well worn, much more so than it appeared in the photos when around his neck. He might have worn this belt for a year, or 18 mos. But the middle notch was when he wore the belt with a bit more hope in his heart, as it was twice as worn than the notches on either side, which he wore when he didn't care and lost weight faster.

Really, since we know so little about him, we are fortunate to have it. It is one thing we can look at and hold in our hands that tells the true story of the last period of his life. I think it was buckled and unbuckled more than time can tell us here, but I am sure in my heart that every time he took it off to go to sleep at nightime, he wished that night would be the last one he would ever need to wear a belt. It just took him some time to become settled in his mind it was the right - the only thing he could do.

Scandi

off i go... the belt style rings a bell. Consumate consumer that i am i'm gonna give it a try. the made in us part helps. i have ten in my closet and only one is american made (sorry). India, Mexico, Argentinia, Chile yada yada.
the pics help so much. thank you sir. I'll be up a minute (21/2 hrs) so check back before everyone runs off to bed.
ta ta
kk

I'll check in then before I hit the hay. Hey Wannabe, you are much more than that you know. You have that Sleuthing bent written all over you.

When I was studying that belt, I thought of Miami CSI, one of my favs, and Numbers, another fav, and how they would have a program to single it down to the manufacturer, then date it by the leather and then tell where it was shipped. I've probably seen too many of these wonderful shows, but I know there are programs they use to do very definitive testing on things like this belt.

If he was suspected of a major crime Quantico would have it as a case in their labs. Like I've said before, his crime was against himself, which is still against the law, but I think low on the scale of seriousness as far as $$$'s for investigative purposes go. Lane did good with the recources available. We know quite a bit about Lyle now from studying him. We just need to find where he hailed from, and that will tell the rest of the story.

Scandi

i'm gonna focus on belt brands AND get back to my maps. i like to get a feel of the lay of the land and my google earth prgm speeds up the trip. Last look was down Salt Lake city way, on shared theory with another sleuther, any one of those states in nw quadrant could be origin of trip. Thank God no one lives in Montana. i'm gonna set out on a trail of a hypothetical journey of our unclaimed soul. Next stop, Montana. I first thot, if Lyle stayed in Meridian he was battling with the same demon in that hotel room too. he lost his nerve or something, kept heading west, succeeded in WA. ...so i'll follow the yellow brick road, and see what i find. News clips, unsolveds, bank robberies (altho not likely as Lyle had no record if i understood correctly) There's always the first time. I do however lean toward the "incident of shame" within his circle sending him off with his head down, tail tucked. alone
back on my head
kk

well so far i haven't found the type belt maker i wanted.
but i CAN tell ya where to buy a damn fine saddle...
off we go agoogling...
i'll keep at it on the belt search tonite and see ya'll later today
kk

scandi said:
I'll check in then before I hit the hay. Hey Wannabe, you are much more than that you know. You have that Sleuthing bent written all over you.

When I was studying that belt, I thought of Miami CSI, one of my favs, and Numbers, another fav, and how they would have a program to single it down to the manufacturer, then date it by the leather and then tell where it was shipped. I've probably seen too many of these wonderful shows, but I know there are programs they use to do very definitive testing on things like this belt. . .
I wish I knew more about how belts are made and how the leather is marked and where it is marked when a belt is made of leather layers and where might the buckles be marked. I note that this buckle was not meant to be removed from the belt since it was sewn in place so I wonder if the metal loop that holds the belt has any markings on its underside where it is coverd up so we can't see. Was the buckle plated or just made of some metal type? We need a member who works in a belt factory.

Maybe we need to contact a belt company?

i am not done yet with my belt search but i can however tell you the 20 or so manufacturers it's NOT. I know this style and i've beeen focusing on retailers like Fossil and Guess and American Eagle...
these are gonna have belts of that quality/price range. it won't be from the LLBean catalog or Lands End stuff. Nor did i find close samples at Shepler's and other western outfitter's. So i've gotten off to looking thru wholesalers and places where retailers can buy this stuff bulk. Wholesalers site tend to have old models stockpiled to. i'm looking for something that came out 1-2 yrs ago. I agree with theory on worn belt loops, wear pattern indicates the weight loss over period of time.
as far as the info on belt construction/factories, etc, here's what i've got.
one site (tandy Leather) helps show how a belt in constructed. they sell the parts of belts to individuals for their own leather projects. ( all ya needs an awl, ya'll) Going thru the list of available buckle styles and leather straps, i've learned al little.
The buckle appears to be a brushed nickel finished. The lack of 'concave-ness' or hollowness on back of buckle like a cheap Sears belt shows a little better quality make and cost. Probably, my guess, $25-$50 range than the 12.99 blu light speciall. as well, the dye/paint wear on leather shows less expensive type material (boy are there lots of types of 'leather' out there for manufacturing purposes, from what i call "leather plated cardboard" to super nice hand tanned and oiled hide belts.) This belts type of leather looks to keep it well below the 75-$100 range, IMO. Now to the buckle, there are lots of names for styles i've picked up on, except this one of course, but the loop behind the buckle is called the 'keeper'. it can be leather or the metal to match the buckle. Buckles are sold as solo buckles and as sets. a set being the buckle, keeper and tip. these 3 piece kits you'll see on fancier western styles with lots of detailing. this would be a 2 pc set without tip. just buckle and keeper. The design really does look like 2yrs ago to me. I'm gonna keep at it. i'm runnin on 3 hrs sleep but got the columbian hi-test brewin.
BTW if ya'll love native american designs go check out alltribes.com for the most beautiful belt buckles around.
wish i could afford one,... "oh honey!?"
(he said i gotta pay off the Lowe's card first)
good morning
kk

not looking for belt 1-2 yrs old. looking for belt made 1-2 yrs prior to Lyle fately stay in Gray's Harbor. See what my brain does on 3 hrs sleep??
k

i'm bummed now. i won't bore anyone with the monotonous details of my crusade over the belt. Suffice it to say i'd be insane to continue my search for the manufacturer or retailer of this belt. Needle in a haystack', doesn't even come close. I just got off the phone with a friend with Max Lang and i trust his expertise that i'll never find the origin of this belt. He's a belt designer. he gave me some details his his hunch, like mine is that buckle was made in Taiwan. belt was assembled in us. long story short, sorry guys, i tried.
kisses
kk

I did a surname search on this site: http://ww2.howmanyofme.com/search/

I searched both "Stevik" and "Stevick"- there are zero people in the U.S. with the last name "Stevik", but there are 810 people in the U.S. with the last name "Stevick"

There are no Lyles in the U.S. however with either last name

that's nuts. silly me. i never tried that.
i mean, what are the odds?
what was name of hotel in Meridian, anyone? i could just look it up by address i guess. i know i don't wanna see another belt catalog for eons.'
go tigers
kk

wannabesleuthkk said:
what was name of hotel in Meridian, anyone? i could just look it up by address i guess. i know i don't wanna see another belt catalog for eons.'
go tigers
kk
Thanks for trying. It was worth a shot.

first HOMER!!!!!
ok listen i just did my nameon that thing and good news everyone!!!
there's only 2 of me, whew...

Cards up 3-1 in the ninth...
God i love October
kk

wannabesleuthkk said:
go tigers
kk
It's a Best Western hotel and I think it's been rated 2 stars or 2 1/2 stars. I can just see Lyle not wanting to stay in a hotel/motel with that many stars

wannabesleuthkk said:
first HOMER!!!!!
ok listen i just did my nameon that thing and good news everyone!!!
there's only 2 of me, whew...

Cards up 3-1 in the ninth...
God i love October
kk
Until they have to bring Wainwright in....****biting nails***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors