IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
they = 3 guys completely unrelated to Lt.G's death that were seen on a filling station's security camera video.They temporarily came under scrutiny right on the heels of the manhunt because they matched a vague description of the subjects Lt.JG described during his initial radio transmission.---> I don't think Lt.saw these same exact guys on his way to the abandoned cement plant

them = 3 guys Lt.G actually did see at the abandoned cement plant,they are completely unrelated to anyone seen on security cam video.
(edit) Their existence is only valid if a homicide actually occurred)

Oh, ok. I got it, lol. I thought you meant he didn't see anyone period. I tend to agree.....but I do think it's possible if they had the same morning routine it's possible he might have known or seen certsin customers as regulars.. Though I admit that's unlikely.

I didn't comment on any of the inventory stuff either. However, I do see how it could have played a part in the Lt's decision to off himself (considering the possibility that this was a suicide)

Even if the Lt was not suspected of any wrongdoing, he may have been more involved in some form or level of corruption that he may have felt would be eventually discovered as the investigation into the inventory unfolded.

It's worth noting (for me) that any evidence to those kinds of contributing factors would point more in the direction of an intentional suicide rather than one that was not actually intended.

Respectfully disagree due to the fact that he thought he had a good shot at being chief and was probably saddened by not getting it. But a person who is corrupt would not want the scrutiny that comes with being chief. Jmo

BBM

Are you suggesting that a (secretly) corrupt candidate for chief can not possibly think or say publicly that they believe they have a good shot at the opportunity? Or that they deserve it?

I can see how an officers ego and sense of entitlement can easily outweigh their own thoughts on any past transgressions. They may even think they are above the law to some degree and find other ways to justify their own transgressions to themselves.

That said - knowing (or feeling) they are about to be caught?

That would change everything.

BBM

Are you suggesting that a (secretly) corrupt candidate for chief can not possibly think or say publicly that they believe they have a good shot at the opportunity? Or that they deserve it?

I can see how an officers ego and sense of entitlement can easily outweigh their own thoughts on any past transgressions. They may even think they are above the law to some degree and find other ways to justify their own transgressions to themselves.

That said - knowing (or feeling) they are about to be caught?

That would change everything.

Agree. But I think once the jig is up and they find out that past transgressions may have played a part in why they didn't get the job. They would immediately retire and be thankful that they made it out with a nice pension. They wouldn't stick around. Jmo

Agree. But I think once the jig is up and they find out that past transgressions may have played a part in why they didn't get the job. They would immediately retire and be thankful that they made it out with a nice pension. They wouldn't stick around. Jmo

The LT tried to retire. That is - He was in the midst of doing so, when he was asked to stay another month or so for that investigation. And (speculating now) that may have been the moment that he realized he was likely to be found out. Indeed, the whole reason for him being asked to stay on another month may have been based on keeping him where he could be held more accountable. Or, they may have been giving him a chance to account for his own actions before he was officially gone. Hopefully the details of that investigation and the Lt's involvement (if any) will be kept transparent and made public as it unfolds.

does anyone have a trustworthy link about the shot to the vest beig a glancing blow?

The LT tried to retire. That is - He was in the midst of doing so, when he was asked to stay another month or so for that investigation. And (speculating now) that may have been the moment that he realized he was likely to be found out. Indeed, the whole reason for him being asked to stay on another month may have been based on keeping him where he could be held more accountable. Or, they may have been giving him a chance to account for his own actions before he was officially gone. Hopefully the details of that investigation and the Lt's involvement (if any) will be kept transparent and made public as it unfolds.

That's a very good theory. Maybe they tried to force him out at a Sgt pay grade due to finding out xyz. But maybe he decided to stay on as a LT to fight it or to make sure he goes out as a LT in the line of duty.

How do we really know LT. CG was asked to stay on another month? How is that information any different than LT CG'S radio call? Especially when it has been reported there was no laperwork filed regarding retirement.

Only those closest to LT. CG might have bits and pieces of information. It would be interesting to know what, if any, discrepancies have been discovered based on initial interviews and later interviews and if anyone has stopped cooperating with LE.

Also, anyone know how long an inventory would take? If there were problems with the inventory wouldn't it have been discovered by now?

In other words "Get out while the getting's good." Interesting idea.

There have been a lot of different theories from posters in this thread that seem not on anybody's radar. Including one that I remember labeled an "accidental suicide"

Interesting.

Do you really still not see how it is possible that the LT could have accidentally killed himself while trying to make it look like he had been attacked, disarmed and then shot in his bullet proof vest in the encounter?

Why is that any less believable than an intentional suicide or an assassination by some "dirty cop" would be?

So far, we have no evidence to indicate that anyone else was actually there with the lieutenant when he was shot but I guess I can pretend that we do.

Pretend,using one's imagination.For now in the absence of facts,it's interesting to see everyone's theories all the way around.Take heart folks,as a tax paying citizen of Lake County,I'm picking of some of the tab for this party.

Where did they park?

Again, I would like to know where the "dirty cop's" car was parked, what his GPS would show about his whereabouts (how long he was there - etc) and what his (or her) radio and cell phone traffic might have been prior to the encounter.

I think I'd park close to the Animal Hospital,I used to bring my German Shorthaired Pointer and Shepherd/Rottweiler mix there.Looks like there's a couple of little out of the way spots around that area,and easy access to Rt.12

No Patrol car or patrol car GPS- He would be rolling in civilian mode.

This is incredibly difficult to imagine for a military veteran and a very well seasoned training officer to do. . . but okay. Where/ what is the evidence of this struggle? What happened to the evidence that would have indicated that others were there?

Seems that he was at a crossroads in his life,some see that as indicator of the potential for suicide,I also believe it may indicate a time where people make rash,careless,risky choices.

Right now I would settle for ANY evidence at all. We don't even have one single footprint in the dirt or mud that could possibly be attributed to any one of the trio of suspects.
We only have the word of the LT himself to give us any reason to believe that they were there. . . and if it was a "dirty cop" involved, apparently the LT did not know or recognize him or her. Else, he could have been much more descriptive in his radio description. And the LT would have been much more reluctant to chase them into the wooded swamp without backup too - if he knew he was chasing a "dirty cop."

We don't know what we don't know,what is it they ain't telling us ?

My scenario calls for Lt.JG to have observed the trio from a couple of hundred yards away,to far to indicate anything more that seeing 2 MW , 1 MB.He wouldn't know who they were or be sure about what they were wearing.

Perhaps. But only if we attribute super human skills to all three of the suspects and if we give the LT a pass on violating so much of his own training and protocol.

Please see comments above re:careless etc,etc decisions

I can appreciate your scenario and your efforts to make it fit the timeline of the radio traffic. It just leaves too many questions un-answered and it makes too many assumptions for me. At least at this point, that is.

I'm far from satisfied with it myself,but it's all I've got,right now.

If there is any possibility that a "dirty cop" was involved in this, the Feds will be all over it. I would think that the Lt's wife would be trying to make that case as well. But she isn't.

I'm definitely not saying this,I don't think it,but I really hope for his family's sake,the Lt. isn't the dirty cop.

UPDATE:

I am not finished catching up yet. But figured I would write this out before I forget any of it. I spoke with my brother who finally spoke to local family member more in depth this time than last! Again, take as grain of salt, call it a theory for the sake of no rumors, because we don't know until we know. I am going to relay it like he told me while refraining from my personal opinion or thoughts until later just to keep it clean.

1) Fam member has a few friends with straight connections and within LE. Not all of them will discuss, at all.
2) He told me that he was told that it was actually the LT who was directly involved with the prisoner issue, physically. I pressed him further because I explained the MSM said that the Chief and the officer were both placed on admin leave. He responded that, that officer was already back at work. Meaning LT. He then went on to say that, he was back at work then but they wanted help taking down the Chief. And he too was going to end up retiring.
3) He said his personal life also had complications. It is the same thing we are reading out there. I don't want to write it. Think "Mister"essy" I will leave it at that.
4) He said that fam said it was strange because that day was chaos with the barricades and then absolutely nothing really early next morning. Zero presence. No DNA taken from any employees.
5) The more they learning the more it looks like suicide. The speculation is on the personal matters, the internal matters and the benefits and the hesitation to rule out suicide, which hasn't been done. Said they think that they know what happened.

I hope I am not forgetting anything. I don't want to put "other" conjecture out because it just doesn't fit victim friendly.

EDIT: I forgot one other thing! My brothers friend company was out on that location do work a few weeks before it happened. Removing and clean up. I asked my brother if he asked him if there was any evidence of vandalism and he said they showed him around in building, yes, and told him the same story of issues that we were told at last presser. This was a few weeks before LT was shot.

Interesting.

Do you really still not see how it is possible that the LT could have accidentally killed himself while trying to make it look like he had been attacked, disarmed and then shot in his bullet proof vest in the encounter?

Why is that any less believable than an intentional suicide or an assassination by some "dirty cop" would be?

That's simple. Because he would have used a different gun. He wouldn't have used his gun if he just wanted to make it seem like he took a couple of shots in the line of duty.

He would have to have answered too many questions on how they got his gun. So if he tried to fake anything; He would have done it with another gun. Jmo

Interesting.

bbm
No, I'm sorry but I really don't see. He was too well knowledgeable about his weapons to make such a stupid mistake. He was not the type to be a drama queen. He would know he would have to answer tons of questions. He would have done a better job staging because he would know those questions would be coming. I could go on...

If I had to put my theories in order of what I believe happened, it would look like this.

1) As first thought with 2MW, 1B. Just at the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong people.
2) Set up. As in someone wanted him gone.
3) Suicide.
4) through 20). other scenarios.
21) accidental suicide

I never said anything about a"dirty cop". You quoted that as if I said that. In fact I even pointed to other things not job related. Even if I did, it's not off the table for me. Nothing is.

I find it curious that this Lake County Major Crime Task Force vehicle is still sitting in the Fox Lake PD parking lot. In the days after, there were big visible vehicles like this from many agencies that were involved, in addition to ebbs and flows of MSM vehicles. All that remains in the past few weeks is this one, sitting in the same spot.

Not originally out of place. However, I don't recall this vehicle there prior to this. This task force is not based in Fox Lake (although does have a resource on the task force, per LinkedIn). This isn't Filenko or Covelli's home department. Is ongoing task force work being done out of Fox Lake and not Libertyville or Waukegan, where I would think they are based? Could be over thinking it (here? nah. lol).

http://lcmctf.org/

attachment.php

That's simple. Because he would have used a different gun.

That would depend on the story line he might have been trying to create. Wouldn't it?

He wouldn't have used his gun if he just wanted to make it seem like he took a couple of shots in the line of duty.

He might - if he thought it might make him look even more like a survivor and a badass.

He would have to have answered too many questions on how they got his gun.

How do you figure? There are plenty of people here that a completely willing and eager to believe that someone (maybe even a dirty cop) could easily have taken his weapon and shot him with it. I for one do not see it being that believable - but apparently is fairly easy for others to accept it, even with no evidence of others at the crime scene at all.

So if he tried to fake anything; He would have done it with another gun. Jmo

Who knows if the LT had time to find and use another gun in this time frame? I agree that there are a lot of things he could have done differently to make it look like he was ambushed. However, that doesn't mean he didn't just try to do a rush job and do the best he could do with what he had - either.

For what it's worth, the more this case develops the more I'm leaning towards the conclusion that this was an intended suicide - staged to look like he was killed in the line of duty. However, I would still much rather believe that his death was unintentional.

That would depend on the story line he might have been trying to create. Wouldn't it?

He might - if he thought it might make him look even more like a survivor and a badass.

How do you figure? There are plenty of people here that a completely willing and eager to believe that someone (maybe even a dirty cop) could easily have taken his weapon and shot him with it. I for one do not see it being that believable - but apparently is fairly easy for others to accept it, even with no evidence of others at the crime scene at all.

Who knows if the LT had time to find and use another gun in this time frame? I agree that there are a lot of things he could have done differently to make it look like he was ambushed. However, that doesn't mean he didn't just try to do a rush job and do the best he could do with what he had - either.

For what it's worth, the more this case develops the more I'm leaning towards the conclusion that this was an intended suicide - staged to look like he was killed in the line of duty. However, I would still much rather believe that his death was unintentional.

Why would you be more content with a accidental suicide rather than a simple suicide. A accidental is more sadder imo. Plus it's more fraudulently planned for more selfish reasons.

Atleast a suicide would mean that it was less of fraudulent thinking involved in advance. Jmo

UPDATE:

I am not finished catching up yet. But figured I would write this out before I forget any of it. I spoke with my brother who finally spoke to local family member more in depth this time than last! Again, take as grain of salt, call it a theory for the sake of no rumors, because we don't know until we know. I am going to relay it like he told me while refraining from my personal opinion or thoughts until later just to keep it clean.

1) Fam member has a few friends with straight connections and within LE. Not all of them will discuss, at all.
2) He told me that he was told that it was actually the LT who was directly involved with the prisoner issue, physically. I pressed him further because I explained the MSM said that the Chief and the officer were both placed on admin leave. He responded that, that officer was already back at work. Meaning LT. He then went on to say that, he was back at work then but they wanted help taking down the Chief. And he too was going to end up retiring.
3) He said his personal life also had complications. It is the same thing we are reading out there. I don't want to write it. Think "Mister"essy" I will leave it at that.
4) He said that fam said it was strange because that day was chaos with the barricades and then absolutely nothing really early next morning. Zero presence. No DNA taken from any employees.
5) The more they learning the more it looks like suicide. The speculation is on the personal matters, the internal matters and the benefits and the hesitation to rule out suicide, which hasn't been done. Said they think that they know what happened.

I hope I am not forgetting anything. I don't want to put "other" conjecture out because it just doesn't fit victim friendly.

EDIT: I forgot one other thing! My brothers friend company was out on that location do work a few weeks before it happened. Removing and clean up. I asked my brother if he asked him if there was any evidence of vandalism and he said they showed him around in building, yes, and told him the same story of issues that we were told at last presser. This was a few weeks before LT was shot.

I am still trying to process this info. The Lt. was the officer who shoved the drunk around?

Then why did he apply for the other local Chief of Police Jobs, right after being suspended? That does not seem very rational.

I am not sure what Mister Essy means. LOL I even tried urban dictionary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper