WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
so glad you found it mom.
The nose is different. but the eyes and mouth and cheeks are quite similar. The man in the museum pic has a more chiseled nose. Pointed. Lyle has a more anglo nose, imo.

back to browsing web images on this region...
kk

OMG, That is amazing Wannabe! I didn't even study the nose, but the whole being, you know, the entire face, why it looks just what I thought Lyle would look like with 30 lbs added to his face. Anyway, you can't really study an Indian nose except in a profile, IMHO. LOL

It is a good thing for me to see this. A happy personage of a Lyle-appearing man like he would be back in better days. I have woken before at night and been bothered by his downtrodden look. Seeing this pic reminds me there must have been days when he laughed and had a good ole time!

I think the photo is so close that we should find out who this guy is and where his roots are from. It is almost creepy it is so close. This guy has to have originally been from the Peninsula or he wouldn't be pictured on that site. Hey, this is an organization we can even call on the telephone. Exciting news, I would say.

An amazing look-alike Wannabe, and here's a tall sleek feather for you to put in your hat! I wish Coldcaseman could see that pic tonight- his eyes are going to smile when he sees it. LOL

Scandi ;)

Dear one, i am glad you saw it too. i'm gonna sleep better knowing i made your nite/morn.
So what do YOU think, sir?
kk
p.s. i love my feather, thank you

WOW, I wonder if the Makah Indians centered around Forks? This is a museum website, not a physical museum you can walk into, but it is precious. The city of Forks is involved in this as are the Makah's, and it must be sponsored or a graduate project of a UofW student or professor, right?

Well, I'll be, am stunned totally and laid down by the shock of seeing that photo. The man even has the demeanor and statliness I would think Lyle in happier times would have.

I need to hit the sack, but tomorrow, let's ask Coldcaseman what he thinks, and see if he wants to respond on this site to the webmaster, to inquire as to who exactly this man is, and then tell him his story. LOL It will be a very big thing for this website to get such a note, inquiring of a line of heritage. Eyes will light up in that room, and they will laugh together and say, yes making that sight was well worth it now. Look at this response!

Goodnight all, and see you in the morning! Scandi

Seeing this pic reminds me there must have been days when he laughed and had a good ole time!
...and must have loved life at one point and smiled alot

Too bad there wasn't a flaw in his plans that could have saved him from himself

I need to hit the sack, but tomorrow, let's ask Coldcaseman what he thinks, and see if he wants to respond on this site to the webmaster, to inquire as to who exactly this man is, and then tell him his story. LOL It will be a very big thing for this website to get such a note, inquiring of a line of heritage. Eyes will light up in that room, and they will laugh together and say, yes making that sight was well worth it now. Look at this response!

Goodnight all, and see you in the morning! Scandi[/QUOTE] It does look similar. I checked the site, and it appears the photo may have been one taken by Fannie Taylor during the 1920's. Unfortunately, she didn't put the subject names on the photos.

First,
hello again,
anychance of finding this photogs other work or published collection? trying to jog memories of where they were taken at least? '
and where's miss Scandi??
Would we be able to contact this photographer directly or has that been done?
I'll search for more online collections here shortly. I've been on a jelly bean hunt in FL (another forum). Literally. Better then belt buckles.
OH and whatever happened to the theory about Lyle being Steven from other website? didn't see a resolution... deadend? if not i can tell you the Stevens in my family are Danish. It's the different spelling as opposed to Stephen.
do with it what you want...
from sunny florida
kk

I had no luck tracking down who Steve was. Apparently there was a delay on his posting, but the the timing and portions of his preferred method of suicide are too much of a coincidence to ignore. The man in the photo is most probably from the Makah tribe, located on the Olympic Penninsula. If Lyle is a descendent and a Makah member, someone from the tribe should have seen his flier.

Thanks to both of you. Is is still a possibility in your mind then CCM? About this Steven?
Would it be worth it to put a package (letter and pic) together to send to the local Makah Community's "leaders" directly and see if they can help on this?
As many fliers were posted around the area, it's still not a sure thing that anyone with any interest from Makah society made a connection or even saw a poster. If that's already been done, no need to be redundant. But Sometimes starting from scratch with some resources may help.
feedback appreciated as always.

kk

Scandi? oh Scandi? where are you?

Posters were sent to the local tribes, but you're right. Sometimes they may not get to the right people. I can send them another. I just can't shake the feeling that he wasn't from Washington State, but probably from the mid West or farther East.

I'll do the same thing with the searches this evening overin the plains states. If i find pics of Native americans i'll look for facial similarities. Here's a thot,
he had relocated somepoint in his life to midwest or such and at the end was returning home to his roots?? It seems to fit with some native traditions and journeys taken that i've read about. Do you have anything, at all, circumstantial or otherwise that points to ANY town in midwest or plains?
that you can share of course.
kk

wannabesleuthkk said:
Thanks to both of you. Is is still a possibility in your mind then CCM? About this Steven?
Would it be worth it to put a package (letter and pic) together to send to the local Makah Community's "leaders" directly and see if they can help on this?
As many fliers were posted around the area, it's still not a sure thing that anyone with any interest from Makah society made a connection or even saw a poster. If that's already been done, no need to be redundant. But Sometimes starting from scratch with some resources may help.
feedback appreciated as always.

kk

Scandi? oh Scandi? where are you?
You might want to start with the Quinault tribe:

http://209.206.175.157/contactus1.htm

If this person was of Quinault descent, the tribe would want to set his spirit to rest.

Unfortunately, some tribes operate on a shoestring budget and don't have the resources to help identify the deceased, especially when so many of the living are in need of these resources.

The tribal Council Staff or tribal Police Department is a good place to start.

Nice to meet ya 7! Happy b'day, mine was Sat 14th.
Anyway, that's also a great avenue to pursue IMO.
Question is who calls 'em. I defer to CCM on this one. Could be delicate, but i'd be glad to compose letters, emails, what have you...
I CAN however send an email to anthropologist specializing in Quinalt tribe to get input.. whatcha think?
I should hear back from WSU dept this week, since i sent those out so close to weekend. It'd be great if some grad student in this field of study (Forensic Anthropology as re Native Amers of Peninsula) would take this on as a volunteer project for class thesis or something. Free Labor!!
ta ta
kk

countdown to first pitch, game 2, go tigers go!

coldcaseman said:
Posters were sent to the local tribes, but you're right. Sometimes they may not get to the right people. I can send them another. I just can't shake the feeling that he wasn't from Washington State, but probably from the mid West or farther East.
Did you send any to tribes in Canada? Just curious...

I do however, still want to try and find an all European website where I can post info on Lyle's case and his sketch. I did try and translate his Doe Network page using an online translator- but those things aren't the most reliable with accurate translation- I used this page: http://www.translation-guide.com/ and I used the free translation page

outofthedark said:
Did you send any to tribes in Canada? Just curious...

I do however, still want to try and find an all European website where I can post info on Lyle's case and his sketch. I did try and translate his Doe Network page using an online translator- but those things aren't the most reliable with accurate translation- I used this page: http://www.translation-guide.com/ and I used the free translation page
Not the individual tribes, but to the RCMP.

OODles, tell me about the translator pages, i'm trying to find a latin translator online without purchasing software. Is there a Latin for Dummies type website you've ever seen that you'd recommend?

CCM - what do you think of theory that Lyle was 'coming home'?
kk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member