WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
wannabesleuthkk said:
do x rays exist of Lyle's skull? Didn't know if there was a need with no head trauma. I was reminded of other site that talked about how the programs available now can make 3d image of skull and recreate a face on it. Not sure how to go about finding a research facility capable but it's just a thot. The only two schools i know that may use this techn. are in TN and TX.
I was reminded of the technology i read about when i found this:

http://www.eva.mpg.de/evolution/index.htm

this stuff may work on Elma too.

??
KK
No xrays of Lyles skull. Xrays were taken of the ladies skull, but we also have lots of photos.

I have tried to get caught up from the posts yesterday and had a couple of thoughts. Some have opined that Lyle could have served in the military or been in jail prior to his death. That is probably not possible due to no fingerprints on file. My hubby is in the military, and his prints are on file, he has security clearence, etc. I do like the theory of him being in a mental hospital though. That would explain quite a bit as far as no tan, and weight loss.

I do have a website that will tell us how many calories Lyle consumed to maintain his weight loss, if that will help I will look it up and post later.

Edited: I calculated his calorie consumption based on his age (I put 25, right in the middle), height and the weight of 140 lbs. It came out much higher than I thought, so I checked another website, and came up with the same results, give or take a few hundred calories. If he was sedentary, he would have to consume 2220 cals a day, and if he was moderately active, he would consume 2500 cals a day. So, not starving himself by any means. I calculated a woman, my size, sedentary, for 140 pounds, 5'7", and I would have to consume 1770 cals a day to maintain that weight. (Just so you can see the difference).

gardenmom said:
I have tried to get caught up from the posts yesterday and had a couple of thoughts. Some have opined that Lyle could have served in the military or been in jail prior to his death. That is probably not possible due to no fingerprints on file. My hubby is in the military, and his prints are on file, he has security clearence, etc. I do like the theory of him being in a mental hospital though. That would explain quite a bit as far as no tan, and weight loss.

I do have a website that will tell us how many calories Lyle consumed to maintain his weight loss, if that will help I will look it up and post later.

Edited: I calculated his calorie consumption based on his age (I put 25, right in the middle), height and the weight of 140 lbs. It came out much higher than I thought, so I checked another website, and came up with the same results, give or take a few hundred calories. If he was sedentary, he would have to consume 2220 cals a day, and if he was moderately active, he would consume 2500 cals a day. So, not starving himself by any means. I calculated a woman, my size, sedentary, for 140 pounds, 5'7", and I would have to consume 1770 cals a day to maintain that weight. (Just so you can see the difference).
Nice info :)

good morning all,
morning mom,
You up yet scandi?
One, if the autopsy revealed no existing disease tht woulda caused the weight loss, then it would have to be intentional fasting/starving that brought Lyle's weight down. No way 140 was a normal weight for him. Even 200 would seem slim to me at 6 ft tall. (my hubby is 5,10 and 220, i'm used to rotund. he says,"i'm in shape!!, rounds a shape!" anyway.
I'd like to ask CCM one more time about findings during post to make sure there ws nothing remarkable about Lyle's pancreas. THe m.e. may not have found a disease but i know from first hand, the conditions that can lead to massive weight loss. I was diagnosed with pancreatitus in Dec last year. Last summer i was my normal 120. at christmas i was 92. In January it hit the bottom at 85. With treatment it's reversed and on Easter (thnkyoulord) i crossed the 100 mark again. I'm back to 117 and feeling great but i know what it's like to see the weight fall off and watch yourself waste away and not beable to do a thing about it. He may have intentionally fasted, or stress could have contributed easily, without even a hint of a disease present. His pancreas may have been not functioning properly but not yet called 'diseased'. The amilase and Lypase amounts would be where to look in post mortem findings. Mine was acute. Even when i ate, the food wasn't absorbed. see pancreas and food absorption if you google. Half my food, when i felt like eating that is would go right thru. then the other half never made it down to stay. YUK i know. welcome to my world. I wouldn't go out much cause i looked anorexic. In high school we strived to be a size 1 or 3.
This was a viciously painful method of weight loss. i don't recommend it.
I'm healthy and kickin now (ptl) but wonder if any of this could have been experienced by Lyle.
On the second point, the military. all servicepersons are printed. BUT do all those prints get into same database that Det. Coldcaseman compared Lyle's to. CCM said "theoritically" the FBI has prints on all service personell. But the CODIS system may not have all those on their records. Maybe you're hubby could help investigate that. Is their a searchable database that we don't know of the cross check Lyle's prints?? would love to know. What about eh AFIS database. Whose prints do those contain, criminals only???
Well there's my two cents. OH and the mental facility is still a good theory in my book.
kk

Tissue samples of Lyles organs were taken and examined microscopically. The Doctor found no diseases or medical conditions. As for my "theoretically" comment, no system is perfect, especially when you have computers operated by humans. I know of some cases where AFIS computers have missed. That's why I submitted his fingerprints twice. Unlike the AFIS computer on CSI, the real ones don't flash "match" on the computer screen. Instead, the computer comes up with a score for a print, based on the minutae or individual characteristics. What you get is a list of scores that come the closest to the score for your unknown prints. A person takes the list of scores, then pulls the fingerprint cards that belong to those individuals, and does a manual comparison. The person who actually belongs to the unknown prints may not be the #1 candidate, but could be way down on the list.

I agree, that we can't expect these databases to have all correct info when mere humans are operating them. It's like Scandi's question as to whether anyone ever cleans up the closed cases off the Doe Network for instance.
Doubtful. Un fortunately with all the cases they're adding there's not much time to go clean house.
kk
doc, i'm still looking. hadn't forgot ya.

Guess what. I contribute to the St Joseph Indian school in SD.
they send me little tidbits and stuff. i got a dream catcher key chain today.
ANYWAY, there's a pic in here that reminds me of Lyle.
so here we go again. Let me pull my link for the Lakota Tribe and see what i see.
back in a few
kk

well, my dinner was great, how about ya'lls.
Roasted cornish hen with butter and rosemary with asparagus and wild rice.
I'm so thankful to be able to enjoy a big fat meal again. I've got key lime pie waiting too.

hey scandi, everyone, help me look for faces:

http://www.picture-history.com/portraits-index-001.htm
OOD you'll like the quality photography. i love B&W

kk

Aw, you lucky getting the keychain. How :cool: !

You know WhiteWolf is a descendent of the Lakota Sioux tribe from North or South Dakota I believe. I am so glad she is here as she brings a valuable perspective to our Sleuthing!

Scandi

white wolf. i just got thru reading her story, duh!

keychain - i keep a stack of envelopes i receive in the mail that are from non-profit groups. i toss the causes that aren't high on my list. the rest are like NWF (animals) Red cross, widows and orphans groups. once a month i pick one to mail in. i forgot all about the St Joseph Indian school one until i got this gift today. and a 2007 calendar with wolfs. I've got about 8 now.
need a calendar?

So of course i got back online and went to research the group and got a pic of a young teen that looks like he could have grown up like Lyle. I'm havin a hard time placing the nose and chin still. let me know what you think. the photos i posted are gorgeous to look at anyway. looking at Lyle's profile again i realized he's got my dad' nose. Just for sh***and giggles i'll check NA in the SE. Some picks i have of my father make me wonder about his blood lines. Slight indian appearance. I got a feelin there was some wood shed activity in my father's line that doesn't jive with the family tree record. Lyle's nose just isn't as.......
long and prominent as most i'm seeing in the Dakotas. oh well, we'll see

Also, my son came home with a beaded necklace w/ arrowhead pendant he made in native american segment in school. I Love IT!
and now the dream catcher in the mail...hmm.....
kk

Great sight Wannabe! On page 7 there are some real rowdy lookin' guys. Whew, I'd be heading for the hills if I met up with one of them on the prarie. LOL

Atsina-Indian-Warrior-th.jpg

Look on page one, bottom row, Acoma Brave and Zuni Bead Worker. They kind of look like Lyle to me. These are all Middle West or East Coast indians so far, maybe the NorthWesterners are coming up! See ya when I can pull my head up. :rolleyes:

Scandi

i know. some of these guys'd give me nightmares.
see what i mean about the nose.? that guy's is beak like.
and the chin. Lyle's chin turns in below his bottom lip. THese plains indians seem to have a flatter or more forward chin bone, making a straight line from tip of chin to edge of bottom lip with not much divet.
IMO
kk

This is for you Wannabe! I wouldn't guess he was an indian:

Koprino-Indian-Man.jpg

Whoops!
Don't know how he got so big or how to make it smaller. Oh well, it is a great study of a man. Pretend we're in art class now!

Scandi

By the way, that is a raincoat he is wearing. They made their coats woven like this from Cedar bark and the rain rolled right off. The Olympic Peninsula is a rain forrest, and has the hightest rainfall in the States I believe. Well, at least it is right up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam