Identified! NY - Mount Vernon, WhtFem 51UFNY, 18-25, Left Near Junkyard, Feb'88 - Veronica Wiederhold

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Some guys I went to high school with in MV are now updated on the case and one of them is trying to get a hashtag for our girl going on Facebook #MountVernonJaneDoe :) Let's see if it helps to spread the word!

Has it ever been confirmed if her hair was dyed or not?

I am not sure if I recollect correctly that it said somewhere "straight brown (or light brown) hair recently frosted". It definitely said straight hair though as they did not look too straight to me.

Question: does anyone else think that MVJD could possibly be Albanian or even Greek?

Jess, a bit spooky you mention Greek origins. Few month back I chatted with my very elderly Greek neighbour, when in the middle of the conversation I have noticed she does have the same size birthmark on the very same spot as MVJD. Yea, I did get shivers. We talk almost every day for some years and I just never noticed it. I had questions on tip of my tongue as I know her family is scattered all around the world with some in US too. I ran straight to my comp researching missing Greeks in US, ignoring the fact that the same birthmark might not have anything to do with MVJD origins. :doh:

Carlk, I love the recon, seeing her teeth does help a lot in search and I do love your addition of Mount Vernon 1988 on her t shirt, really brilliant idea.

Last but not the least, MVJD anniversary is approaching, just few weeks to go. I think giving nudge to reporters is great but only 1 or 2 days prior to the airing date I think would not make her justice... We want more than one sentence in newspaper or 1 min of vague air time. Maybe crazy idea, but Jess what about suggesting to reporters and to detective to do some kind of interview together, to make public appeal and perhaps also for him to air a bit of her case, with shots of place, time etc to get people attention...? I don't think he would mind publicity of the case? Maybe mayor, with being new, could be involved too or give short speech there too, reaching more people? With one or both of them involved there is bigger chance that more news would pick up or report/re-post the story... What do you think?

Was isotope analysis done for this girl?

She certainly has Mediterranean in her. I frequently holiday in Mediterranean Europe and she has that 'look', but of course she could still be born and bred American. This angle makes me think 'Italian American'.

Isotope analysis has not been done for her yet. One sleuther brought it up to the detective in charge of her case, and I brought it up to the mayor and his assistant. So hopefully the city will agree to do it!

Was isotope analysis done for this girl?

She certainly has Mediterranean in her. I frequently holiday in Mediterranean Europe and she has that 'look', but of course she could still be born and bred American. This angle makes me think 'Italian American'.

I am not sure if I recollect correctly that it said somewhere "straight brown (or light brown) hair recently frosted". It definitely said straight hair though as they did not look too straight to me.

So funny you mention that, Al Ka. I sent Carl a message asking if he could do a recon of her with a slight wave to her hair. Most, if not all, of the detectives on this case were men, and they might not notice things another woman would (my ex thinks I have black hair lol - it is a reddish brown). To me it looks like Jane Doe had no visible dark roots. But maybe she was dark blonde/light brown and recently had frosted it. When wet, her hair appeared darker, and usually when you dye your hair, it stays the color you have dyed it, while it is wet. There is a slight natural wave to her hair.

Jess, a bit spooky you mention Greek origins. Few month back I chatted with my very elderly Greek neighbour, when in the middle of the conversation I have noticed she does have the same size birthmark on the very same spot as MVJD. Yea, I did get shivers. We talk almost every day for some years and I just never noticed it. I had questions on tip of my tongue as I know her family is scattered all around the world with some in US too. I ran straight to my comp researching missing Greeks in US, ignoring the fact that the same birthmark might not have anything to do with MVJD origins. :doh:

Spooky! Not necessarily a clue, but sometimes things spook you enough to run with it! I can't get into the reasons why I think she may be from Greece, but it's something to seriously think about.

Last but not the least, MVJD anniversary is approaching, just few weeks to go. I think giving nudge to reporters is great but only 1 or 2 days prior to the airing date I think would not make her justice... We want more than one sentence in newspaper or 1 min of vague air time. Maybe crazy idea, but Jess what about suggesting to reporters and to detective to do some kind of interview together, to make public appeal and perhaps also for him to air a bit of her case, with shots of place, time etc to get people attention...? I don't think he would mind publicity of the case? Maybe mayor, with being new, could be involved too or give short speech there too, reaching more people? With one or both of them involved there is bigger chance that more news would pick up or report/re-post the story... What do you think?

I agree. I have been pestering News 12 since October! I don't intend to wait till the last minute. The good thing about News 12 is that their stories repeat on a loop, literally. So every hour or so, the stories repeat in case you missed it earlier. Therefore, even a small mention would be better than nothing, because people watching at all different times of the day will be able to see it.

I hope the new mayor or one of his assistants is able to get involved. I also submitted the story to the Gothamist website but never heard back. Maybe the Lohud newspaper (who did the original story in 2013 - w/George Ossipo) would want to pick it back up, too.

Discussed this case more extensively with my mother this morning. My mother has experience working with homeless women (who often prostitute) and she is convinced that MVJD was indeed a street girl. She suggested that she may have been on the younger side of the 18-25 range, had recently started working the streets and that was why her teeth and general health were in good condition. She also stated that it was likely that MVJD was left on Carleton overnight and that the business whose employee found her probably opened late that day (since it was a Sunday), hence the late discovery of her body. She thinks that MVJD may have been engaging in only oral sex for money, which fits in with the vague description given by the PD that she had "engaged in sexual activity" but not been raped. And that the broccoli found in her stomach may have been from a cheap Chinese takeout meal such as chicken & broccoli, but the ME found only broccoli in her stomach since it is more fibrous and tougher to digest.

When I argued with my mother how could she have been strangled by a telephone cord if this all took place in the street, my mother and I looked at each other and BANG! It hit us at the same time - what if it was a CB radio cord?! The kind that truckers have?

Thoughts?

Discussed this case more extensively with my mother this morning. My mother has experience working with homeless women (who often prostitute) and she is convinced that MVJD was indeed a street girl. She suggested that she may have been on the younger side of the 18-25 range, had recently started working the streets and that was why her teeth and general health were in good condition. She also stated that it was likely that MVJD was left on Carleton overnight and that the business whose employee found her probably opened late that day (since it was a Sunday), hence the late discovery of her body. She thinks that MVJD may have been engaging in only oral sex for money, which fits in with the vague description given by the PD that she had "engaged in sexual activity" but not been raped. And that the broccoli found in her stomach may have been from a cheap Chinese takeout meal such as chicken & broccoli, but the ME found only broccoli in her stomach since it is more fibrous and tougher to digest.

When I argued with my mother how could she have been strangled by a telephone cord if this all took place in the street, my mother and I looked at each other and BANG! It hit us at the same time - what if it was a CB radio cord?! The kind that truckers have?

Thoughts?

I think that she rented a room locally, she was with the guy, maybe they had Chinese take out (that does make sense) or a veggie platter. They were doing coke, had sex; he got too kinky, she resisted, he killed her. I think he shaved her to get rid of possible evidence, then dumped her. I'm not sure why he dumped her at the junk yard when there are many places he could have left her; I think he was seeing if he could get away with it, and he has so far.

They probably found evidence of her having sex (vag and or oral) and that there were no signs that she was raped

I think you're on the right track, but that she ate the food by herself before meeting up with him. I don't think he was in a hotel room with her, because getting a dead body out of a pay by the hour hotel would be difficult. Too many people coming and going, and lingering outside drinking and doing/selling drugs (please don't ask how I know this LOL). I think she was hanging around by Carleton, got in his truck, and it played out like you said, except for the shaving part (no soap and water in a truck - she probably shaved herself in the past week or so). He got kinky, she said no, he tied her up with rope he had in the truck and strangled her with the CB radio cord. Kept her clothes and jewelry so less chance of anyone ID'ing her.

I think that she rented a room locally, she was with the guy, maybe they had Chinese take out (that does make sense) or a veggie platter. They were doing coke, had sex; he got too kinky, she resisted, he killed her. I think he shaved her to get rid of possible evidence, then dumped her. I'm not sure why he dumped her at the junk yard when there are many places he could have left her; I think he was seeing if he could get away with it, and he has so far.

They probably found evidence of her having sex (vag and or oral) and that there were no signs that she was raped

I think you're on the right track, but that she ate the food by herself before meeting up with him. I don't think he was in a hotel room with her, because getting a dead body out of a pay by the hour hotel would be difficult. Too many people coming and going, and lingering outside drinking and doing/selling drugs (please don't ask how I know this LOL). I think she was hanging around by Carleton, got in his truck, and it played out like you said, except for the shaving part (no soap and water in a truck - she probably shaved herself in the past week or so). He got kinky, she said no, he tied her up with rope he had in the truck and strangled her with the CB radio cord. Kept her clothes and jewelry so less chance of anyone ID'ing her.

That fits with LE thinking she was in a vehicle

DiMase said he thinks she was killed in a house nearby (due to the strangulation by phone cord), but a CB radio has the same kind of cord. Does anyone know if tow trucks had CBs in the 1980s? I know long distance truckers do, but local tow guys I'm not sure.

That fits with LE thinking she was in a vehicle

DiMase said he thinks she was killed in a house nearby (due to the strangulation by phone cord), but a CB radio has the same kind of cord. Does anyone know if tow trucks had CBs in the 1980s? I know long distance truckers do, but local tow guys I'm not sure.

That's a good question. CB's were very popular in the 70's, from my memory, they were still around in 1988 but were not as popular. According to wiki, in the late 80's people used VHF business-band frequencies. My dad used to sell CB's at our gas station

Wiki
21st-century use

CB has lost much of its original appeal due to development of mobile phones, the internet and the Family Radio Service. Changing radio propagation for long-distance communications due to the 11-year sunspot cycle is a factor at these frequencies. In addition, CB may have become a victim of its own popularity; with millions of users on a finite number of frequencies during the mid-to-late 1970s and early 1980s, channels often were noisy and communication difficult. This caused a waning of interest among hobbyists. Business users (such as tow-truck operators, plumbers and electricians) moved to the VHF business-band frequencies. The business band requires an FCC license, and usually results in an assignment to a single frequency. The advantages of fewer users sharing a frequency, greater authorized output power, clarity of FM transmission, lack of interference by distant stations due to "skip" propagation, and consistent communications made the VHF (Very High Frequency) radio an attractive alternative to the overcrowded CB channels.

Channel 9 is restricted by the FCC to only emergency communications and roadside assistance.[16] Most highway travelers monitor channel 19. CB radio is still used by truck drivers, and remains an effective means of obtaining information about road construction, accidents and police speed traps.

Those are all excellent theories! I texted a friend who's family owns a garage/towing service, and she said that they use CB radios in their tow trucks. They mostly do local towing.

It's a shame none of those businesses had security cameras that may have picked something up.

Since most of our theories are that she was foreign is there a chance she was trafficked? Even if she lived in the seediest apartment/motel I would hope someone who also lived there would note she was missing and contact authorities once she was found. I wasn't born for a few years after her death, so I'm not sure if human trafficking was as big of a thing as it is now.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Great info! Thanks, roselvr! I worked for a very old-fashioned company in 2001 or 2002, owned by old school Italians, and believe it or not one of their trucks still used CB! I remember having to page the man with it. The other drivers used Nextel two-way radios.

Ah ha!!! The tow truck guy I mentioned likely had one in 1988. He was always a local tow guy, who ran his own operation. Still does, but I imagine he uses a cell phone now.

I was born in 84, so I don't know if trafficking was a big thing then, but I do wonder if she came here from another country (of her own will) to stay with a family member here in MV and perhaps met her fate at his hands. I think that might explain the apparent lack of sexual assault, that he wouldn't intend to have sex with a family member of course, but that she angered him somehow and he killed her. With her immediate family still overseas they may not have missed her right away. There were no cell phones then, and international calling would have required money for calling cards.

Those are all excellent theories! I texted a friend who's family owns a garage/towing service, and she said that they use CB radios in their tow trucks. They mostly do local towing.

It's a shame none of those businesses had security cameras that may have picked something up.

Since most of our theories are that she was foreign is there a chance she was trafficked? Even if she lived in the seediest apartment/motel I would hope someone who also lived there would note she was missing and contact authorities once she was found. I wasn't born for a few years after her death, so I'm not sure if human trafficking was as big of a thing as it is now.

I don't think this has been posted yet. Unsolved: Who killed Tammy Jo Alexander, aka 'Caledonia Jane Doe'? which links to another article Help Crime Watch Daily and Carl Koppelman give names to these 5 murder victims
#2 Mount Vernon Jane Doe
She was white, 5’3”, 103 pounds, with hazel eyes.

She was found on Feb. 14, 1988, at 11:54 a.m., opposite 22 Carlton Ave. in Mount Vernon, N.Y. Police determined she had been killed six to 12 hours earlier.

Her body was posed and carefully placed on a set of garage door springs on the sidewalk of an industrial part of town in front of the gate of a junkyard. She appears to be a victim of a serial murderer.

She had ligature marks on her wrists, ankles and neck.

She had cocaine in her system and broccoli in her stomach.

Some think she may have been from overseas, based on the fact that she had unshaved underarms, but shaved pubic hair (which leads some to believe she may have been a prostitute).

She was found naked, so there were no clothing clues to lead to her identity.
She may have been of South American ancestry.
Recognize this person? Submit a tip to Crime Watch Daily

It is a shame no one had video. We had cameras back then. I remember my dads station had cameras back in the early 70's that weren't working. My dad decided to install cameras in the late 70's after being broken into a few times, even though we had German Shepherds. The last one was put to sleep in May 85.

We had a CB in the snow plow Bronco as well as the tow truck but I don't recall if we used it in 88.

Human Trafficking was around back then but was not called that.

Long shot, but has anyone considered Tammy Lynn Leppert? She disappeared in 83 but if she was put into the sex trade it wouldn't matter. Without seeing JD's teeth I'm not sure, since Tammy had nearly perfect ones. What do you think?

Also, I'm leaning towards maybe the killer getting rid of the pubic hair (either a fetish or to get rid of potential DNA). It doesn't make sense to me that she would shave that, but leave her armpits and legs hairy. Not to mention the unwaxed eyebrows. I'm very new to this, so these are just my observations.

ppl who live in seedy motels come and go all the time so it is plausible no one noticed her gone. they also are known to abandon their belongings to avoid paying so I can see the management not even thinking much of it.

Our paper, The Journal News, put me in touch with their writer Ernie Garcia, who covers Mt. Vernon and Yonkers exclusively. I just sent him an email to see if he can do a follow up to the 2013 article by Will David which featured George Ossipo. Now I'm off to go bother News 12 some more.

The new Mt. Vernon mayor just accepted my Facebook friend request. Networking my rear end off for our girl. We have to keep her in the limelight this year - too much time has gone by.

ETA:
Banged this email out to News 12 just now:

Mr. Wolf:

A few concerned citizens in the city of Mount Vernon have been networking both on social media and in person, in order to obtain justice for Jane Doe, give her back her name, and hopefully return her to her family. We have suggested to the new mayor, the Honorable Richard Thomas, as well as to Det. Christopher DiMase of the Mount Vernon PD Major Case Squad, that isotope analysis be looked in to as a way of determining where Jane Doe came from. Please see the following: http://www.knoxnews.com/news/local/...unsolved-killings-ep-358924862-356154081.html

The phone number to Mount Vernon PD Major Case Squad is 914-668-6841 if you need to connect with them in regards to this case and what information they are willing to make public.

I understand that the last email from Tara said to contact you a day or two before the anniversary of Jane Doe’s death (February 14), but I am hoping that starting a little earlier will give News 12 more lead time to reach out to those closest to the case and receive a reply. I know the Major Case Squad is always busy and I would hate to lose an opportunity for our Jane Doe’s story to be aired. 28 years is too long to wait for justice.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sidsloth
Back