Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996 - 1997, Perth, Western Australia - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a quick google for phone exchanges in Perth to see if this could account for the locations of the dump sites somewhat, though it's a stretch as essentially all homes need to be within a certain distance of an exchange...

This exchange is close to GC
Carrabooda RCM – Karoborup Rd, 1.1km off Wanneroo Road

List of exchanges here:
http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/australian_exchange_guide#aeg_wa

Woolcoot Rd in Wellard is very close to Telephone Lane...........Now I am drawing a long bow ;)

Thanks enzeder.

i would be interested to know if he spoke at all, and if he had an accent, or sounded, upper class, ocker, or just a normal Australian accent, and what age he sounded, And did she see his face or have an idea of his age.

I don't remember details about the CSK's voice ever being released in relation to Karrakatta...

If you believe the 1989 Cottesloe Hotel car park attack is related to the CSK crimes, she said,

“He didn’t say anything that I remember – he didn’t try to talk or call out."

Reposting to add that in Ch. 30 of her book Debi Marshall said of the Karrakatta attack,

The attack happened so fast, she neither saw the man nor heard his voice.

Has there been any new developments?

It seems to me Police have been releasing old information with the pretense that it was a fresh break through, i.e forensic link.

I'm most interested in the Holden Commodore VS Series 1 (most likely white), new information. Has there been any more developments about that?

No new developments have been released.

Good point that info released in 2015 was not fresh.

Police Clues Released in 2015
Year of Discovery in Italics

• Police have DNA from CG attack - possibly 1997, but no later than 2008
• Karrakatta connected by DNA - 2008
• Fibers found on JR were traced to a white Holden Commodore, 1 Series, on the market after Jan. 1995 - 2008
• Police believe all victims were taken by blitz attack - probably 2008
• Clothes line (not telephone cable) was used to bind Karrakatta - possibly 1995 or 2008, but no later than 2011
• The rope used to bind Karrakatta was impregnated with screen printing ink - no later than 2011

I intentionally omitted 2015 published releases that LW and PW are cleared.

Other info came from the public in 2015, some of it as a result of the newly released clues.

• A bricklayer saw a taxi with no lights on pulling out of Pippidinny Rd. on a Sunday night near the date when CG disappeared
• A girl was taken from Cottesloe Hotel car park by a man who attempted to rape her.
• A girl was approached by a suspicious man in 1994 who needed help finding his keys in his back seat
• A man saw another man openly masterbating on a Saturday morning in 1995 where the Karrakatta victim's license was found

Anything I missed?

How did police discover that the clothes line used to bind Karrakatta was impregnated with screen printing ink? She either had a section of the rope with her when she escaped/was released or police went back to the area and were able to located the binding.

So why was there confusion about the rope being telephone cable?

-----

In August 2008, The Post published two articles about the CSK. One article discusses the white Holden Commodore. Portions of this article are pasted on other sites.

The second article is about MM. I don't think he is connected, and have proven by timestamp analysis (at least to myself) that the CCTV release was intentionally misleading. The article seems to support my conclusion (the same one others have reached by various methods), saying MM can be seen walking south on Bay View Terrace until he disappears from the shot.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/skn4y4g65xln2or/Post 08.30.2008.pdf?dl=0

How did police discover that the clothes line used to bind Karrakatta was impregnated with screen printing ink? She either had a section of the rope with her when she escaped/was released or police went back to the area and were able to located the binding.

So why was there confusion about the rope being telephone cable?
Police may not have released to the media that it was clothes line and they could have either told the media the wrong information (telephone cable) or the media may have got their info from another source (victim, victims family, incorrect police leak etc)

But there's another issue with this information;

They searched the printing business in the Olifants building circa 2011. As you suggest, for police to detect printing screen printing ink on the rope then they must have some rope from Karra. Why did it take them over a decade to work out the rope had screen printing ink on it?

Scenario 1

- Karra victim is let go and is still tied up with the clothes line rope OR police search cemetery next day and recover the rope
- Media report telphone cable for whatever reason. The info is wrong. Not unusual, especially early in a case
- Police test rope and discover printing ink trace
- They don't know where it is from and that info stays in the file
- Macro do forensic test of CG site, find same ink but don't realise until 2011-ish

This scenario is unlikely. There were 8 reviews. As far as I'm aware other sex crimes in the area were checked out thoroughly both by Macro and the reviews. I'd be astounded if this level of incompetence was reached.

Scenario 2

- Karra victim is let go and is still tied up with the clothes line rope OR police search cemetery next day and recover the rope
- Media report telephone cable for whatever reason. The info is wrong. Not unusual, especially early in a case
- Police test rope and discover printing ink trace
- They don't know where it is from and that info stays in the file
- Fast forward to 2011 and someone goes the extra mile - they have a hunch the crimes are related. They noticed in the Karra file that there's a trace of printing ink, go test something from CG's evidence box and find a match.

This is a lot more likely that Scenario 1, but it's still a stretch. Surely if there was ink trace on anything at CG site they would have picked it up? Is it possible that it was untraceable in 1997 but due to tech advances traceable in 2011?

So what do we know

- Macro made inquiries in 2011 about the picture framing and screen printing business
- They asked the former owner is any printing components were missing or if there was any rope left around at the time, or if there was an old clothes line out the back
- The printing business is 30m from where SS was last seen and directly across Stirling Hwy from where CG was last seen
- The printing business has a car park out the back making it quite secluded and a good base to blitz attack someone from
- The Post claims it was about this time (2011) that Macro got a DNA link between CG and Karra. It also suggests fibres on the rope from Karra.

Scenario 3

- Macro get a more comprehensive DNA profile in 2011
- They compare to Karra. It's a 1 in 500 match. Not enough to be 100% but given the timing, area, similarities, Macro strongly think it's the same guy.
- They switch focus on trying to solve Karra rape. They know if they can solve this, the chances are they will find the evidence for CSK too
- They pull out the case file and now the rope impregnated with ink fibres has a place to start looking. If Karra and CSK is same guy then that means blitz attack more likely and poses the question "we think CSK is local so where does the ink come from?"
- A quick search tells them there was a printing business 30m from where both SS and CG were last seen, and also a good base for a blitz attack.
- There is no actual ink link between karra and CG - DNA is the link and the ink was just a lead.

I did some screenprinting way back when and am still in printshops occasionally. I'm curious as to what the "equipment" removed by police from the shop was. I'm thinking it may be a screen stretching clamp or similar specialty item. See some examples of equipment in that vein here: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/screen-stretcher

- Media report telphone cable for whatever reason. The info is wrong. Not unusual, especially early in a case
RSBM BBM

According to quote below it was the victim who said it was telephone cable.

"She made it as far as the Showgrounds subway and a man grabbed her, put something over her head, tied her, up - she said with telephone cable - and bundled her into the back of what she said was a commercial vehicle, and drove her deep into the cemetery, where she was sexually assaulted.

Claremont serial killer case: WA Police investigate 1995 rape lead
October 16 2015: http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/c...vestigate-1995-rape-lead-20151016-gkaq8i.html

So I actually just almost by accident came across this old message board from back in 1997. Interesting to get an idea of what was reported immediately as sometimes info can get out there before the police silence it.

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/alt.true-crime/Mz6NxHT2reg

Anyway you may remember me posting about how I knew someone who rode and taught at Greenacres riding school at the time JR was found and she knew a guy who was there when the lady and her kids came across the body. He also reported a white ute stopping in that spot a few days before and then tearing off when he approached.

Noticed someone mention on one of the top posts here about a white ute seen in the CG case.

Just an observation!

I'm very keen to hear if it was just one sighting of the Telstra vehicle or more than one. My suspect would have been driving a vehicle looking very similar to a Telstra/Telecom vehicle just without the door decal. Then again, if you're talking to someone through the driver's window you'd be pretty sure I guess.

Was your suspect working as a police officer prior to working for Telstra?

Telstra suspect is based on an actual POI who worked for Telstra. He was reported to crime stoppers because he was offering girls in the area lifts home.

Wow. How has this not been discussed before?

This type of scenario could fit into GC and SS last sightings.

Telstra Guy had access to fleet vehicles that were never logged. He was identified by Macro because he had been offering girls lifts home in and around the Claremont area. He was a regular at Claremont night spots. Before his career at Telstra he was a cop. I believe he's now divorced and living in the Mandurah area.

Telstra would be quite trustworthy I believe. He would have had access to vans, station wagons and electrical cord.

I have no idea if he's still a suspect.

And this guy was a cop!!??

Can't believe he hasn't been discussed more. Does anyone else know more about this POI?

Although I've only recently started commenting, I'm well versed in all CSK material. Telecom man has been eliminated through DNA.

My suspect was never a police officer and instead worked just behind Karrakatta Cemetery and had most likely met Jane Rimmer on one occasion near her workplace. He worked installing external signage to businesses. Work vehicles he had access to were mainly White Holden Commodore Wagons with roof racks and ladders. He would now be 44 years of age.

Although I've only recently started commenting, I'm well versed in all CSK material. Telecom man has been eliminated through DNA.

My suspect was never a police officer and instead worked just behind Karrakatta Cemetery and had most likely met Jane Rimmer on one occasion near her workplace. He worked installing external signage to businesses. Work vehicles he had access to were mainly White Holden Commodore Wagons with roof racks and ladders. He would now be 44 years of age.

If you know Telecom man has been eliminated through DNA can you tell us who else has?

When do you suppose they'll get round to testing your suspect and then alerting you as to his results?

Peter,

How did this person come to your attention as a POI? Do you know him?

Does he have a criminal history? What was he doing from 1998 forward? What does he look like?

Has the taxi driver who was dispatched to pick up Sarah ever spoken publicly?

Most sources say Sarah called for a taxi at 2:06am and was gone when the taxi arrived at 2:09am. A few sources list an alternate arrival time--anywhere from 3 to 8 minutes after the call.

Speedy arrival time, especially on a holiday. Were taxis always so expedient?

-----
CORRECTION: A few posts up I mentioned the bricklayer reported seeing a taxi on Pipidinny Rd on a Sunday night. For the record: he saw the taxi very early on a Sunday morning.

reg DNA testing
some interesting info
one of the blokes to be dna tested over the CSK was parked on canning hwy in como , he was picking his sister up from work when two plain clothed ds pulled along side him. ordered him out of the car and took his dna,he was driving a 1995 white XR falcon and was parked opposite a snap printing shop were his sister worked at the time, this happened in 1998 ?
my questions are
was it the white falcon that got the ds attention [looks like a taxi,looks like a commodore same colour white and shape as vehical recently released in media as suspects car
were they watching the snap printing shop back in 98
i no the guy they tested ,he is nearly a match for mm but is to short to be mm and has no form what so ever, was it the fact he looked like mm
could this confirm that all the latest news released by the police and media reg the csk is no more than ancient history ..?

Sutton, I got this POI through searching for all screen printing and screen printing related businesses that may have fallen under the Police radar which are relatively close to the Claremont area. I then tried to find out which one of these businesses used that particular type of car seen on the Highway stopped next to CG. This business was the only one. They are still in operation but have since moved. I then tried to find out what sort of places would employees in that area bump into each other at. The sole lunch bar on that street required my POI to walk past JR's place of employment. I would say working there every day for more than two years before her murder, it's highly likely they would have at least seen each other at some point.

He stopped working at the business in 1998, I was told he was fired. Not sure on what he looks like. I've completely lost track of him after this time. Not sure of his criminal history and at the moment I'm trying to find out which school he graduated from so I can find some sort of yearbook photo of him.

Can you please provide me his name. I grew up locally so there's a chance this man is local and also a chance I know him. I might be able to point to which school he went to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fitzybjj