OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to DeWine's statements yesterday, they are using FBI and DEA. Not a high visibility presence, though, MOO.

Bringing forward a link from last night to a local tv interview with a retired DEA agent who worked in Southern Ohio for many years and is familiar with drug gangs

http://local12.com/news/local/dea-veteran-weighs-in-on-pike-county-murders

With the news that the security cameras at the fourth crime scene (Kenneth Rhoden) were dismantled, it seems very likely this was a professional hit.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3563851/Surveillance-cameras-set-inside-home-Ohio-massacre-victim-paranoid-security-helped-identify-killers-removed-murderers.html

or it was someone that was familiar with the camera set up?

I went to WHIO website and their live stream and they haven't said anything about this yet that I have seen.

There's pictures of the Franklin County dive team truck with Franklin County car following right there on their road. Otherwise I would wonder if the reporter messed up. So why isn't this on any other MSM?

Again, the FBI is rigid. Very rigid. There are procedures and protocol to follow. The sheriff can't just say come in and take over. It is not in the FBI jurisdiction. The sheriff can say come in and help us. Which they ARE doing. The FBI can't just come in and take over any case if not in there jurisdiction and their jurisdiction is limited. In my opinion they do have the top top top because they have BCI who is familiar with these types of cases. Also, why would you want someone coming in from a FBI field office that doesn't know anything about that area. It would take them a lot of checking up to do. I'd imagine and I think I read in a press release that Cincinnati FBI offered assistance. It's not like they would send someone from DC. This is a small town murder investigation.
IF this case was in FBI jurisdiction, then they can and would have already taken over. They haven't. They have only offered assistance. Which would mean that a lot of the theories floating around are not correct. To me it's easy to see that this isn't a "gang" or cartel or organized crime.

It's also been noted by AG DeWine that the DEA is assisting. There's a DEA office in Cincinnati that has been investigating the drug trade in southern Ohio and northern KY for many years. Their expertise is important here because they probably know most of the players in the drug/cannabis trade, at the local, national and international level. They've probably been working with local sheriffs for many years.

Update@5:56 p.m.:

A Pike County resident who said she’s familiar with the Rhoden family said Thursday that growing pot is a way of life in the county, so she’s not surprised that marijuana grow operations were found at three of the crime scenes.

“There’s little jobs down there. Everybody has to survive some way. This is how they survive,” said the resident, who asked not to be identified because she fears for her life.

She said the discovery of the grow operations has created a misconception of who the victims were, and she said the Rhodens are .

“It’s really sad to see how everybody turns them into monsters,” she said. “You have Mr. Ruby, who has now taken back his $25,000 reward because there’s now a criminal investigation. This is not a family of criminals. They were good-hearted people who loved their family.”

“These people did not live a luxurious, fancy lifestyle,” she continued. “They didn’t drive the best vehicles or wear the best clothes. These were just down–to-earth people just trying to get by.”

The woman added that she doesn’t believe Mexican drug cartels are responsible for the killings, as some believe. Instead, she believes the killings are the result of a common practice in the area known as “hillbilly justice” in which people take the law into their own hands as opposed to calling the police.

“There’s a lot of drugs that are relevant in the hills right now, and with meth and heroin being two of the main ones, I don’t think this is over pot,” she said.

http://m.springfieldnewssun.com/news/news/autopsies-of-victims-in-pike-county-shooting-could/nrBzy/

Is it confirmed the dogs are dead? I don't know where to go with this whole story - it's a crazy dang story....

we do not know, but Bobby said the dogs were not there when she went to feed them. JMO

FWIW, I take all those comments with a grain of salt so please don't think that we all feel that way. Even if every word they are saying is true it doesn't justify the murders! One life is just as valuable as the next regardless of any social status or income level and who among us has not had a friend or family member caught up in something they should have not been caught in?

True. I don't think there's any town/city/county that doesn't have problems. I guess some are just more obvious and known than others. Regardless of what they (Rhodens) were involved in, they didn't deserve to be killed, like you said.

There's pictures of the Franklin County dive team truck with Franklin County car following right there on their road. Otherwise I would wonder if the reporter messed up. So why isn't this on any other MSM?
I don't know.. His Twitter said to join them at the live stream site to see what they are being told.

Gary was shot 3 times in his head, found laying over CRSR legs. His father just spoke to local news at funeral service for Gary.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

How horrible, sounds like they dragged them and just threw them in the back room.

His brother that lives in Kentucky was chased and followed Saturday. I didn't hear the whole 911, but the news reporters said it went on for about 7 or 8 minutes. I also wonder if there's been threats since then, but I remember little Noah Thomas' funeral in Virginia there were alot of officers. They were watching his parents.

I can not help but think that this might be a diversionary tactic................

I can not help but think that this might be a diversionary tactic................
One issue though, we don't know if it had to do with Gary from KY being there or if Gary just happened to be there and it happened.

They all seem to be related in some way though.

That's a good question. I've wondered about it myself.

We don't know if they were moved to the back room or ran there on their own. We also don't know if the blood was from one of them injured in the living room or both.

One possible scenario is that they one or both were still awake, sitting in the living room when the killers arrived and ran back to the bedroom to retrieve their guns.

A second scenario is that Gary, the guest, was sleeping in the living room, was awakened, put up a fight and ran back to CR1's bedroom for a gun.

Another scenario is they were both asleep in the back, one or both awakened to a sound, went to the LR where he was attacked, then returned to the bedroom for a weapon.

What do you think?

ETA: I'm not sure why the killers would drag one or both of them to another room to kill them when they could have done so in the LR.

Intead of being dragged might it have not been a desperate attempt to get away from people that we shooting at them and they died?

Wonder if a local tossed a cell phone in that pond?

One issue though, we don't know if it had to do with Gary from KY being there or if Gary just happened to be there and it happened.

They all seem to be related in some way though.

Two wings of the family? KY and OH? Dunno

If this was a local or locals, someone was likely running around town with hearing difficulty for a few days. A handgun has a level of about 165 decibels. For comparison, a jet engine on takeoff clocks in at about 140 decibels. A firearm discharged indoors is going to affect the shooter right away, much less 32 shots later.

I've seen talk about silencers maybe being used to suggest why others didn't hear the gunfire. Technically, 'silencer' is a misnomer. I disike that the term is used at all my mainstream media because it gives the reader/viewer a false sense of what we're talking about.

Suppressor is a much more accurate term because the attachment suppresses the sound but it comes nowhere near silencing it. A suppressor can lower the sound 10-20 decibels or so. So, we're still talking as loud as a jet engine on takeoff. People inside the house are definitely going to hear it, and people outside will too. It will be muffled somewhat by any insulation a home may have, but it's still going to be very noticeable.

Movies, tv, etc., portray suppressors/silencers as being like the volume of a whisper. So, that's what many people think it is. The truth is, you can only dampen the sound a small amount. You could also purchase subsonic ammunition, which will decrease the sound a bit further, but it's still going to be loud.

Anyways, the shooters. Suppressors or not, firing off that many bullets in an enclosed space is going to have an immediate effect on their hearing from the first shot. Firing multiple shots indoors without hearing protection, very possible permanent hearing damage. At best, a couple of days with reduced hearing. Like the equivalent of going to a rock concert and stand right in front of the speakers.

There is a possibility that the intruder(s) used hearing protection, as one would normally do at the range when target shooting. The problem with that is, it compromises the ability of the shooter(s) to hear what is going on around them, including the possibility that someone nearby has heard the shots and come to the house to investigate.

Would amateurs think of these things? Probably not, though possibly. Pros definitely would.

Wonderful interestng post TY!

Saw this earlier and am not sure what to make of it. Perhaps he did this at the request of LE? Perhaps it is because they know who did it and are building a case they can prosecute and don't want to tie up any additional resources into soliciting tips from the general public?

Wish they would come forward with more information and when they are ready, they likely will. But I do get this "feeling" that LE knows who did it and they are getting their ducks in a row before they can serve a warrant for arrest. At least, I hope that is the case.

Edited to add that I came to Websleuths originally because of the Melinda Lindsey murder case in Porter Co., Indiana. Even though it looked like the husband was responsible, there was total silence from LE on the case for close to a month after her murder - not one press conference, no statements, etc. The husband, Steven Lindsey, was finally arrested nearly a month later after he made a call to a life insurance company to inquire as to the status of a life claim for his deceased wife. That gave LE the motive. There no physical evidence to connect him to the crime, but his story of events did not match evidence at the scene. This case was successfully prosecuted and a verdict for murder was delivered about a month ago.

Interesting point- any buzz about life insurance policies on the Rhodens?

I admit TV, and the media in general, caused me to give silencers way more credit than they deserve. I came across a YouTube video recently that has educated me since then.

You can hear the very subtle difference between the sounds a 9 mm makes when it's fired with and without a suppressor on it at the link below.

[video=youtu;qZU5TGljAmw]http://youtu.be/qZU5TGljAmw[/video]

Indeed. Hollywood bears the brunt of responsibility for this. TV and movies portray guns with suppressors as silent assassins. I understand that they want the hero or the villain to have the element of surprise when shooting someone, but it gives viewers a false sense of things. I would hazard to guess that most people don't realize a 'silencer' is not really a silencer.

I have some skepticism that suppressors were used anyways, as there is a long process to buy one. Not only are they a few hundred dollars, but, you have to submit a ton of forms to the BATFE and wait for them to approve you to purchase one. There is an extensive background check for these things and it will be months before you hear anything back. You also have to pay a fee to BATFE of $200 along with your paperwork. So, you'd be down $200 upfront before even buying the suppressor. The actual suppressor itself will be several hundred dollars more. So, you could easily be in $500 for one suppressor. If a suppressor is something you use a lot, then it would be worth it for you.

There certainly are perfectly legal and legitimate reasons to have a suppressor; the aforementioned hearing effects being one of them. So, regular non-criminal people could own them. But, due to the paperwork, background check and expenses, I would imagine they are not common.

A professional or semi-professional criminal may already have the suppressor. It's a good investment for them. Random locals, family members, etc? Probably not, but again, possible. I don't think most people want to go through the complicated, expensive and time-consuming process to obtain one. But, anything is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmjordan75