Verdict: GUILTY for both Millard and Smich of 1st degree murder

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have family that lived 2 streets away from Russell William's first victim. We always went for a walk when I visited my family there and when we went down the victim's street and got close to their house the hairs on my neck stood up. I had no idea where we were passing by or anything, it was a bizarre reaction once I learned where I was standing near. I literally couldn't walk by the house, I had to turn around.

Two summers ago I was moving my daughter in to a townhouse she was sharing with some friends just off campus at York University. I was alone in the garage assembling a new Ikea desk when I suddenly got the chills and my mind went to the story of a young Asian student that had been murdered a year or two before while she was webcaming with her boyfriend in China. It was such a strong feeling of dread that as soon as I returned home that night I grabbed my laptop and started googling the crime. Turns out the girl lived in the unit directly across the street from where I was standing, less than a hundred feet.

waaay back when, I opined that this crime sounded like the job of cocaine-powered supermen. Why cocaine? Because it gives you confidence, energy, self-assurance. The plan to kill Bosma was so crazy, so over the top, so risky, that it seemed to me only a drug like cocaine could allow someone to overcome the sense of danger and foolishness that a normal person would feel.

But we didn't hear a lot about the drugs, until after the trial. Turns out that DM and MS WERE cocaine-powered supermen. And DM used steroids, which can make someone quite aggressive.

I wish the jury had known that they were cocaine and steroid users. I think it would have supported motive: it was because of these drugs that the two murderers became empowered to do what they did. IMO.

We really have no indication as to who was using or how much they were using. For instance, heroin was mentioned, but it was only Millard that did it and only once. We heard that the toolbox was brought out at parties, but nothing to reveal this was a daily thing. No indication that they were high that night either. And Roid Rage? Maybe, but that is a symptom of long term heavy use and Millard quite frankly didn't have a body that indicated that.

Later on she says (39:35) "The question I raise about how did those letters get out? I'm going to talk to you one day, Scott. And as soon as I can go with it, you're going to go "Are you kidding me? Are you kidding me?". And I'll leave it there - And not, not just pertaining to this case. I just think..... Sometimes I just scratch my head"

It did make me wonder... She obviously wants to spill the beans and is skirting a fine line saying anything at all.

BBM

She sure does want to spill the beans, doesn't she, lol!

Curious she says "not, not just pertaining to this case."

Perhaps something to do with the jailhouse system/employees itself that allowed the letters to be easily transferred to someone? Some glaring loophole/mistake that has since been corrected?

MOO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All I'm saying is that one can only drive by that spot every day and see fast food, and a myriad of other garbage marking the spot, for so long before it starts to get under your skin....

Every year, for a few years, a group of my friends went to the spot where our friend died, and we planted perennials and wildflowers. If you look down at the DVP while on the subway passing over the Bloor Viaduct, close to the baseball diamond, you can see the flowers at different times of the year.

I thought from your posts that you might have done the same. I'd be happy to hear that flowers are growing there for her.

I assume DM and MS are being held in cells at the courthouse during deliberations because they are in the room when questions are answered and there doesn't seem to be much notice for those times.

Anyways, all I could think is could you imagine them sitting and waiting in cells. We think sitting and waiting for the verdict is agonizing. I can't imagine sitting in a cell and waiting for my life to be decided. Their heart probably skips a beat or two every time a guard walks to their cell during these deliberations.

Also, please don't confuse this at all with me having sympathy for DM and MS because I have none.

I think her victim impact statement will shake all of us to the core. I'm not overly emotional but she is one strong woman with a very strong presence representing Tim everywhere

Apparently if they are both convicted of 1st degree there will be an automatic life sentence which means no victim impact statements at all.

ETA: I stand corrected. Apparently victim impact statements do happen in 1st degree convictions.

Apparently if they are both convicted of 1st degree there will be an automatic life sentence which means no victim impact statements at all.

Really? I'm pretty sure SB and family can give their statement even with M1. They address the court and confront the convicted (kind of give them a new one) of how they changed their lives etc.

I believe that you are in error. While the statements cannot affect the automatic sentence, I believe that they are still read in order to assist the relatives with their healing and grieving processes.

Here's a recent article from a first degree murder conviction where they were read:

http://globalnews.ca/news/2656432/r...court-hears-tearful-victim-impact-statements/

It sure is quiet today....hoping it's the calm before the 'storm'. The storm of justice that is.

I believe that you are in error. While the statements cannot affect the automatic sentence, I believe that they are still read in order to assist the relatives with their healing and grieving processes.

Here's a recent article from a first degree murder conviction where they were read:

http://globalnews.ca/news/2656432/r...court-hears-tearful-victim-impact-statements/

I believe the judge will also ask DM & MS if they have anything to say before he sentences them (presuming they're convicted).

This: http://justice.gc.ca/eng/rp-pr/cj-jp/victim/statem-declar/index.html would seem to indicate the victim impact statements are used at a sentencing hearing. So if M1 is an automatic sentence, is there a sentencing hearing?

That is what I read too, that they are used at a sentencing hearing and for M1 there is no sentencing hearing.

It was SC that tweeted this info to someone a few weeks ago in response to them asking when the victim impact statements are read. I am not sure I could find the tweet but I will try.

I agree. In the Michael Rafferty trial, victim impact statements were read. He was convicted of first degree among other charges.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

In the Ryan Lane murder, there was still a sentencing hearing.
You would also think that those victim impact statements stay on record to and can be used at parole hearings... the victims are not always around to deliver more statements when/if that time comes.

This: http://justice.gc.ca/eng/rp-pr/cj-jp/victim/statem-declar/index.html would seem to indicate the victim impact statements are used at a sentencing hearing. So if M1 is an automatic sentence, is there a sentencing hearing?

That is incorrect. Example:

In handing down the sentence Friday, which is automatic for a conviction of first-degree murder, Justice Alan Macleod said Lane’s killing was “the most callous and cold-hearted act imaginable.”

Earlier, tears flowed as Lane’s family members read victim impact statements, describing how the loss has affected their lives.

Ok, I stand corrected then. Fair enough.

Maybe SC meant they aren't mandatory when there is a 1st degree conviction as it is an automatic sentence. It might be done on a case by case basis of whether the victim's family want to read statements. In this case I can definitely see SB getting up there and giving a victim impact statement. If she does I will have tissues nearby for sure!

But the VIS does not determine the length of sentence. It allows the rest of the victims/family to express how the murder affected them.

Yes, it's an automatic sentence of life but Im pretty sure they still have to be sentenced by the judge stating this. So once the verdict is read, there should he another court date to announce their sentences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LDowden72