GUILTY TN - Four Gardner children stabbed to death, Memphis, 1 July 2016 *mother arrested*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Four little lost lives, one scarred for life sibling and why ?
I do not want to come across sympathetic to the mother but when will family members stop assuming things will be ok when they see signs a person is cracking? When will they stop saddling them with more and more babies to tend to in tiny , close quarters and go about their lives ? That's a lot of work ! I raised a mere TWO kids and it was a lot of work when they were little. I had support and help from family and the kids had room to run and play and burn off the energy that they need to burn off so they don't sit and fuss and argue and act up in a tiny room all day. Again, not trying to make an excuse for her. She's as responsible as anyone else is to get help for herself but she did not. No one who knew her had time to assist her but someone had time to keep delivering SPERM to her . SMDH
Where is Susan Powter when you need her?

One of the articles used the phrase "married recently" and an officer mentions notifying next of kin.

This is likely a blended family, the mother may suddenly have had to add a "summer visitation" child into the small apartment?

I agree, ask for help. Take the big ones to the library summer program, find the park system's day camp, go to church for the hour of nursery care....

RIP, little ones, and bless you 7 year old!

JMHO

She was not a stay-at-home mom.

Side note: My Mom had 5 kids from 1961-1968. She also worked and had a total for a husband. (My father).

She didn't kill us. Please.

Side note: My Mom had 5 kids from 1961-1968. She also worked and had a total for a husband. (My father).

She didn't kill us. Please.

My mom's got 4 live children to this day. When she went off the deep end(s) she was sent for help. I'm sorry if I was not clear. I'm not excusing mom and mom needs to be in prison for life at LEAST. I'm just saying that other family members who knew she was having trouble might have been able to save the children if someone had acted.

The killings left many people wondering why someone would hurt children. One person who's studied this question is Dr. Phillip Resnick, a professor of psychiatry at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland who for decades has studied similar cases. He assisted the legal defense of Andrea Yates and Susan Smith, mothers accused of killing their offspring.

He emphasized he had no knowledge about Friday's case and wasn't commenting on it. But he answered the general question of why mothers might kill children and said his research has determined five principal reasons.

The first is a warped form of altruistic love: the mother is suicidal and believes the children would be better off joining her in heaven than living without their mother on this earth, he said. The second is child battery that leads to a death.

The third is killing of unwanted infants — for instance, the baby might stand in the way of a marriage.

"The most dangerous day of your life is the day you were born," he said.

The fourth common reason for killing a child is revenge against a spouse.

And the fifth reason is psychotic behavior for which there's no rational explanation at all, he said.

The article further cites Dr. Resnick as saying approximately 500 children in the US are killed by a parent each year.

According to him, children are killed in equal numbers by fathers and mothers.

He also said mothers are more likely to kill infants and fathers more likely to kill teenagers.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/new...64c-e053-0100007ffe13-385233081.html?d=mobile

Oldham said the family is blended, and a fifth child — a 7-year-old boy who was not injured — has a different father.

The children's names are all being withheld as the sheriff's office attempts to contact the surviving child's father.

We anticipate additional charges," the sheriff said.

The family is also part of the sheriff's office family, Oldham said, because the children's aunt works for the department.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/new...0bb-e053-0100007f5283-385307211.html?d=mobile

The Associated Press ‏@AP 2h2 hours ago
BREAKING: Mother of four children found stabbed to death in Tennessee charged with first-degree murder.

A few questions.

1. Who kept these children? I doubt she made enough money to pay for childcare for 4 children
2. What hours did she have at work and what type of work? Can't imagine 8hour work day, coming home to care for 5 little ones!
3.. Did family live close by and help her with laundry, house cleaning, grocery shopping?
4. Where was Daddy-o to these kiddos? Did he play any part in financial or helping raise these little ones?

Side note answer to JLSChook - The thing about it is we seldom, if ever, see a dad raising 5 children on his own, plus working a job. The norm is Dad takes off leaving the mom to raise the children on her own. In this case, with the babies so close in age, each pregnancy takes a toll on the mother's body. This mother had to be totally exhausted from preganacy, night time feedings teething, and everything else that goes on with babies and toddlers at night.

I do not stand in defense of her for a second! I do not know her or her story behind the scenes. I can certainly understand going bonkers one day with 4 children fussing, crying, picking at each other, everyone wanting something different, but killing them as a solution to the problem? No, no, no!, not in my lifetime. RIP sweet babies.

From your link Everday Grace:

Gardner will probably not be arraigned before a judge until Tuesday, Farrell said, due to the July 4th holiday on Monday.

"The children's aunt works for the sheriff's office, Oldham said, bringing the tragedy especially close to home."

"It's a tragic scene and it has shocked us to our core," Oldham said at an earlier news conference on Friday. He said the deaths were an "egregious act of evil and a tremendous loss."

Wow. I think there's more sympathy for women because, as women, we know what the daily grind is when it comes to dealing with kids and jobs and the million things you need to do on a daily basis.
Sympathy but in no way excuse/reason. I would love to have 5 kids. However in my world is not doable.
The terror those babies went through. Plus the trauma that the little boy has to live through. Just beyond tragic.

Not again!!!

I've typed and deleted my response to reading this thread several times. I'm having difficulty finding the right words to express the absolute heartbreak over the horrific loss of four innocents at the hands of the one who gave them life! [emoji174]

My primary concern is for the 7 year old boy who survived. He needs all the love and support imaginable to heal. It is only right that he live the happiest life possible, for himself and in honor of his siblings. I offer my condolences to the family who has suffered such tremendous loss.

The investigation is in its early stages, so we don't yet know whether or not MH issues played a role. As soon as I read this thread, I immediately thought of the "Angels Coronado" the name given to the three young girls murdered by their mother here in California:

CA - Sophia, 2, Yazmine, 1, & Xenia Coronado, 2 mos, murdered, 20 May 2014
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-murdered-20-May-2014&p=10560603#post10560603

It remains to be seen whether or not there is a parallel regarding PP psychosis. The topic can be highly polarizing. With my undergrad studies in forensic psychology, I understand these diagnoses clinically; however, JLSChook made excellent points upthread. The dichotomy is undeniable. IMO/JMO/etc.

All I know for sure is that four precious, innocent little ones, who did not ask to be born, were brutally and heinously killed. They suffered, and I can't help but imagine their pain and terror.

This should never happen to a child, but we WSers know that it does and it will. We ask, over and over, "When will this stop?"

I wish I knew the answer to that question.

:rose: :rose: :rose: :rose:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This should never happen to a child, but we WSers know that it does and it will. We ask, over and over, "When will this stop?"

I wish I knew the answer to that question.

Sadly, as much as the truth hurts, it will never stop. :tears:

According to reports obtained by WREG, Shanynthia Gardner was reported missing back on March 19 just days after telling her family she felt like someone was trying to hurt her and her family.

The behavior started on March 16 when Gardner reportedly left work suddenly, picked up her kids and left.

That same night she called her husband from Corinth.

Gardner’s mother said at the time her daughter had been stressed, but this behavior was unlike her.

She also said her daughter had not been diagnosed with a mental illness.

More at the link:
http://wreg.com/2016/07/02/mother-of-four-children-killed-feared-for-familys-safety/

I haven't read up on PP issues for years. Is sudden paranoia part of it? Or does it suggest a possibility of something else?

My mom's got 4 live children to this day. When she went off the deep end(s) she was sent for help. I'm sorry if I was not clear. I'm not excusing mom and mom needs to be in prison for life at LEAST. I'm just saying that other family members who knew she was having trouble might have been able to save the children if someone had acted.

SCHMAE, I'm sorry. That's why I said I should stay out of these 'mom kills her kids' threads. It just infuriates me because every.single.time "Mom" is excused..yet if it was a male, he's called names, people say "fry him!", or "put him in Gen Pop, the inmates will take care of him"...etc....etc...

Honestly, it's my fault because I knew I should never have clicked on this thread. I knew what I would read in here before I came in.

It wasn't you, I promise. I have been reading here for well over a decade and it has happened in almost every single case. My apologies.

But let's keep cutting mental health budgets, & make birth control even more inaccessible. This is so sad, & it seems like this kind of stuff could be avoided with better education, better MH systems, MORE access to birth control. IDK. Tragic

But let's keep cutting mental health budgets, & make birth control even more inaccessible. This is so sad, & it seems like this kind of stuff could be avoided with better education, better MH systems, MORE access to birth control. IDK. Tragic

While I think we need more mental health providers and easier access, I cannot agree with your statement about BC. Birth control is available in every drug store, grocery store, mega-store, convenience store, bar room, club and fuel station all over the country. It is called a condom. It requires no doctor's appointment, no prescription, does not alter the body's hormonal balance, cause cancer, HBP or blood clots and it works.

There is a FREE BC which, when understood and used correctly, works very well. It is called the rhythm method but requires that one can count, use a calendar and control one's desires for a few days each month.

I understand abstinence is just too much to ask of people because immediate and instant satisfaction is preferred over planning and being responsible for one's own reproductive system but no one can claim that we do not have easy, unfettered access to BC.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jasonax3
Back