Mexico Mexico - Jenny Chen, 26, Oaxaca, 11 April 2016 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM

This alone is crazy to me. So your wife is missing, you wait a few days and then... leave? After filing a missing person's report? I've been reading Jenny's case from the beginning and I still just can't wrap my mind around WHY anyone would leave their spouse "missing" to go home.

I might imagine responding this way if I thought my spouse had left me. Hypothetically speaking and MOO of course.

Do we know, Dexter, that JR has a description of the driver? According to his latest FB post they have known from GPS coordinates which driver was in the vicinity for months. So it seems that his PI could track the guy down with his name, even without knowing what he looks like. I think they kept getting promised by LE, but nothing got done.

New information in tnis post:

The witnesses are credible, as verified by his PI and two prosecutors.

Jenny had 40 pesos according to the witnesses and was trying to get to an ATM machine immediately. She never did.

He says either the witnesses or the driver know what happened and calls it a slam dunk lead.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/helpfindjenny/permalink/647634228744958/

It's interesting that he says the witnesses are credible, but then says they may know what happened. Does he think they are trying to blame the driver for something they may have done?

Here's a theory. The witnesses who knew Jenny was trying to find an ATM decided to "help" her by taking her to one so they could steal her money. In the process, when Jenny realized what's happening she fought them and is killed. The same scenario could apply to the driver.

Regarding JR's statement:"According to her bank records, she never made it to the bank machine on April 12th, or anytime after that." https://www.facebook.com/groups/helpfindjenny/permalink/647634228744958/

For the sake of accuracy, on the radio show interview with JR's attorney, the atty told us that Jenny went to the ATM on April 12th, but the machine was out of cash.
http://www.radioformula.com.mx/notas.asp?Idn=609266&idFC=2016

Great thoughts, Lilibet. As you point out, JR calls the witnesses credible, yet he seems to have mistrust when he also says these witnesses may know what happened. Since JR says Jenny's bank records show no money withdrawn on April 12, these witnesses didn't steal transaction money from that day. It's possible their statement of Jenny having only 40 pesos on her person wasn't true, and they robbed her of whatever cash she had on her. But if so, why would they spin the tale of the ATM machine?

As you said, it would make more sense that Jenny got cash in Oaxaca City before her long journey to Cancun. It would be useful to know if she did make a large withdrawal in Oaxaca City before she left, which would make the witnesses' story questionable.

Regarding JR's statement:"According to her bank records, she never made it to the bank machine on April 12th, or anytime after that." https://www.facebook.com/groups/helpfindjenny/permalink/647634228744958/

For the sake of accuracy, on the radio show interview with JR's attorney, the atty told us that Jenny went to the ATM on April 12th, but the machine was out of cash.
http://www.radioformula.com.mx/notas.asp?Idn=609266&idFC=2016

Great thoughts, Lilibet. As you point out, JR calls the witnesses credible, yet he seems to have mistrust when he also says these witnesses may know what happened. Since JR says Jenny's bank records show no money withdrawn on April 12, these witnesses didn't steal transaction money from that day. It's possible their statement of Jenny having only 40 pesos on her person wasn't true, and they robbed her of whatever cash she had on her. But if so, why would they spin the tale of the ATM machine?

As you said, it would make more sense that Jenny got cash in Oaxaca City before her long journey to Cancun. It would be useful to know if she did make a large withdrawal in Oaxaca City before she left, which would make the witnesses' story questionable.
BBM

In order for my theory to work, they didn't get any money from an ATM because Jenny figured out what they were up to before making a withdrawal. According to her blog, she was really sick of being ripped off by Mexicans. So I can picture her coming unglued, threatening to call LE, and being killed to silence her.

Of course, this assumes that she really didn't have any money and really was looking for an ATM that worked. I expect that the PI verified whether the ATM was out of money and whether Jenny made a large withdrawal before arriving at the Pemex. You're right that there is no point of the story about 40 pesos and the empty ATM if they stole the money she had previously withdrawn. That makes me think that it was probably true, although it's really poor planning to run out of cash when you've just been in Oaxaca and Juchitan...unless things cost more than expected. Or had her money already been stolen by whoever gave her a ride from Juchitan to the Pemex? Now that's a thought! She might have turned it over to save her life, figuring she could withdraw more at the Pemex. If she was victimized again by people who offered her a ride to an ATM (hypothetically) that could have been the last straw for her.

ETA: The witnesses reporting about the ATM and 40 pesos probably wouldn't be the ones who gave her a ride in my hypothetical scenario. They wouldn't have said anything IMO. So it could have been someone who overheard or someone she asked for a ride...even the Corona driver. Again, all hypothetical.

BBM

In order for my theory to work, they didn't get any money from an ATM because Jenny figured out what they were up to before making a withdrawal. According to her blog, she was really sick of being ripped off by Mexicans. So I can picture her coming unglued, threatening to call LE, and being killed to silence her.

Of course, this assumes that she really didn't have any money and really was looking for an ATM that worked. I expect that the PI verified whether the ATM was out of money and whether Jenny made a large withdrawal before arriving at the Pemex. You're right that there is no point of the story about 40 pesos and the empty ATM if they stole the money she had previously withdrawn. That makes me think that it was probably true, although it's really poor planning to run out of cash when you've just been in Oaxaca and Juchitan...unless things cost more than expected. Or had her money already been stolen by whoever gave her a ride from Juchitan to the Pemex? Now that's a thought! She might have turned it over to save her life, figuring she could withdraw more at the Pemex. If she was victimized again by people who offered her a ride to an ATM (hypothetically) that could have been the last straw for her.

ETA: The witnesses reporting about the ATM and 40 pesos probably wouldn't be the ones who gave her a ride in my hypothetical scenario. They wouldn't have said anything IMO. So it could have been someone who overheard or someone she asked for a ride...even the Corona driver. Again, all hypothetical.

That's another thing I've been wondering about: Juchitan. I don't know how much it will end up mattering, but I'm trying to get Jenny's last movements straight in my mind. It wasn't clear to me before that she actually spent time in Juchitan. So, after leaving Oaxaca city, Jenny went to Juchitan then northward on the Hwy 185 where she caught the ride from the Corona truck? Where did she spend the evening of 4/11. In a home in Juchitan, or at a truckstop?

The nwasianweekly article states she went from Oaxaca City to Juchitan (6 hrs away), and that the PI located the family she stayed with that night (4/11). Then it says the next day (4/11) she caught the ride on Hwy 185 from the Corona truck.

But this doesn't seem to jibe with the radio program information of her staying the night prior at a truckstop. So, is the translation off, and this family she stayed with was NEAR the truckstop? Or would a home in Juchitan be considered near the truckstop we having been looking at? Or was the truckstop not the one we looked at on Google Maps, but another one somewhere by Hwy 185?

This is text from the recent radio show about Jenny:
Al no tener respuesta, Reinhard contrató a una agencia de investigación privada, quienes señalaron que la última vez que se vio a Jenny Chen, posiblemente pasó la noche en un paradero de camiones en La Laguna, donde está la desviación a Juchitán.

Google translates this as:
With no response, Reinhard hired a private investigation agency, who noted that the last time you saw Jenny Chen, possibly spent the night at a truckstop in La Laguna, where the deviation is Juchitan.

Maybe one of our posters who can read and translate Spanish can help with a better translation for this.

Was the area we found on Hwy 185 before that was near a large Pemex station fit in with what information we now have? I'm now wondering about the "La Laguna" area as opposed to the Hwy sign I see on the map street view I had found that says "Lagunas". Is that referring to the same area?

Sorry if I'm not explaining it all well and if I'm getting things more muddled than they already are!

http://www.radioformula.com.mx/notas.asp?Idn=608963&idFC=2016
http://nwasianweekly.com/2016/06/hu...-of-seattle-was-last-seen-in-april-in-oaxaca/
https://www.google.com/maps/@16.815...4!1sXvh5KsF4SaU9xq5BXg-i4w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

That's another thing I've been wondering about: Juchitan. I don't know how much it will end up mattering, but I'm trying to get Jenny's last movements straight in my mind. It wasn't clear to me before that she actually spent time in Juchitan. So, after leaving Oaxaca city, Jenny went to Juchitan then northward on the Hwy 185 where she caught the ride from the Corona truck? Where did she spend the evening of 4/11. In a home in Juchitan, or at a truckstop?

The nwasianweekly article states she went from Oaxaca City to Juchitan (6 hrs away), and that the PI located the family she stayed with that night (4/11). Then it says the next day (4/11) she caught the ride on Hwy 185 from the Corona truck.

But this doesn't seem to jibe with the radio program information of her staying the night prior at a truckstop. So, is the translation off, and this family she stayed with was NEAR the truckstop? Or would a home in Juchitan be considered near the truckstop we having been looking at? Or was the truckstop not the one we looked at on Google Maps, but another one somewhere by Hwy 185?

Al no tener respuesta, Reinhard contrató a una agencia de investigación privada, quienes señalaron que la última vez que se vio a Jenny Chen, posiblemente pasó la noche en un paradero de camiones en La Laguna, donde está la desviación a Juchitán.

With no response, Reinhard hired a private investigation agency, who noted that the last time you saw Jenny Chen, possibly spent the night at a truckstop in La Laguna, where the deviation is Juchitan.

Maybe one of our posters who can read and translate Spanish can help with a better translation for this.

Was the area we found on Hwy 185 before that was near a large Pemex station fit in with what information we now have? I'm now wondering about the "La Laguna" area as opposed to the Hwy sign I see on the map street view I had found that says "Lagunas". Is that referring to the same area?

Sorry if I'm not explaining it all well and if I'm getting things more muddled than they already are!

http://nwasianweekly.com/2016/06/hu...-of-seattle-was-last-seen-in-april-in-oaxaca/
https://www.google.com/maps/@16.815...4!1sXvh5KsF4SaU9xq5BXg-i4w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
BBM

You bring up some great points. Just one quick correction to the bolded part...the next day would be 4/12. I have to be away awhile, so when I come back I'll be interested in other's responses, and have time to mull this over. I think there may be some errors in the article. I believe Lagunas is the closest place to the Pemex, but I'll check a map. That Pemex area matches the area across 185 where JR posted a picture of himself while searching for clues.

BBM

You bring up some great points. Just one quick correction to the bolded part...the next day would be 4/12. I have to be away awhile, so when I come back I'll be interested in other's responses, and have time to mull this over. I think there may be some errors in the article. I believe Lagunas is the closest place to the Pemex, but I'll check a map. That Pemex area matches the area across 185 where JR posted a picture of himself while searching for clues.

Oops, yes, I meant 4/12 for the day she got the ride on the truck.

I don't recall seeing the picture you describe of JR alomgside Hwy 185 near the Pemex station. Was that on the HFJ page?

Do we know, Dexter, that JR has a description of the driver? According to his latest FB post they have known from GPS coordinates which driver was in the vicinity for months. So it seems that his PI could track the guy down with his name, even without knowing what he looks like. I think they kept getting promised by LE, but nothing got done.

New information in tnis post:

The witnesses are credible, as verified by his PI and two prosecutors.

Jenny had 40 pesos according to the witnesses and was trying to get to an ATM machine immediately. She never did.

He says either the witnesses or the driver know what happened and calls it a slam dunk lead.

It's interesting that he says the witnesses are credible, but then says they may know what happened. Does he think they are trying to blame the driver for something they may have done?

Here's a theory. The witnesses who knew Jenny was trying to find an ATM decided to "help" her by taking her to one so they could steal her money. In the process, when Jenny realized what's happening she fought them and is killed. The same scenario could apply to the driver.

Lilibet. Jonathan has said since May 16 that he has a description of the driver.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/604597256381989?view=permalink&id=614694565372258

Good News! Hot lead! We have found where stayed Monday night (April 11th), and was witnessed getting into a full trailer of a major international brand. We have the description of the driver and will be contacting the company to track down the driver. This is the BEST information so far!

So he should have paid the witness to camp out where the drivers pull up at the warehouse and anonymously had them point the driver out.

Then he could have slueth the driver or put his P.I to find out more about the driver. Like his name and home address. Jmo

Lilibet. Jonathan has said since May 16 that he has a description of the driver.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/604597256381989?view=permalink&id=614694565372258

Good News! Hot lead! We have found where stayed Monday night (April 11th), and was witnessed getting into a full trailer of a major international brand. We have the description of the driver and will be contacting the company to track down the driver. This is the BEST information so far!

Thanks so much Dex. My memory didn't retain that tidbit. So yes, at some point when it was clear that LE and Corona were dragging their feet, someone could have perched outside the Corona place and tried to talk to him, as you suggested. I wonder why they didn't try that before launching a social media campaign.

ETA: Incidentally, an interesting tidbit in the comments. Someone asks JR if they know if Jenny's passport has been used in another country. JR says the Chinese are working on that...he hopes. This was May 16.

Oops, yes, I meant 4/12 for the day she got the ride on the truck.

I don't recall seeing the picture you describe of JR alomgside Hwy 185 near the Pemex station. Was that on the HFJ page?

It may have been on his personal page. Or he may have deleted it. I don't remember. :blushing:

Thanks so much Dex. My memory didn't retain that tidbit. So yes, at some point when it was clear that LE and Corona were dragging their feet, someone could have perched outside the Corona place and tried to talk to him, as you suggested. I wonder why they didn't try that before launching a social media campaign.

Agree. Let the witness secretly point the driver out while he is pulling into or out of the Corona warehouse and then have his P.I do the rest of getting the drivers name and address without scaring him off.

Plus Jr knows the contracted company that supplies Corona drivers. So he could have waited by their truck yard as well. Jmo.

JR's answer to a question about why they have to wait for the police to talk to the driver...in order for anything to hold up in court the prosecutor must be there.

So they can't talk to him themselves. I believe he said earlier that this is now a criminal case (with no explanation).

Someone asks if the story has been on any major US news or 20/20, etc. so that people will know that Corona is harbor infra potential murderer. JR replies that there has been nothing yet and that he needs to find contacts he can reach out to.

I thought this was being done as part of their big media push in early July or even in June.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/604597256381989?view=permalink&id=647747062067008

JS apparently has talked to JR before and strongly suggested reaching out to non-governmental and non-profit entities suggested by others on the page. JR asks if he has one in particular since he has reached out to so many.

I hope he is keeping track of everything he has done so far and all contacts made.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/604597256381989?view=permalink&id=647525792089135

BBM

I've been working on this reply for an hour, and I'm totally muddled!! First, I will post a link to our previous attempt to make sense of this, which will add to the muddle. This mentions the infamous notebook and Jenny getting on a bus 4/12. There is more contradictory info.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...axaca-11-April-2016-2&p=12690477#post12690477

I don't think we know for sure if Jenny stopped in Juchitan before continuing north on 185. I assumed she did because she was said to have spent the night with a family there (hence wondering why she didn't go to an ATM), but possibly not. It seems that they now believe she spent the night at the Pemex about an hour north on 185, just south of the cutoff to Lagunas, but I'm not sure JR's team knows for sure where she spent the night. It's possible people are telling them what they think the PI wants to hear.

La Laguna is on 190 between Oaxaca city and Juchitan. Nowhere near Lagunas. That has to be an error in speaking or translating. See map link below.

The nwasianweekly article says she stayed with a family in Juchitan 4/11 which contradicts spending the night at the Pemex. I don't think it would say the family was in Juchitan if it was almost an hour north. Here's what it says about the Corona truck.

That investigator discovered that the next day, on April 12, Chen tried to catch a ride from Juchitan toward Cancun from passing vehicles on highway 185. About 2 p.m. that same afternoon, eyewitnesses saw the driver of a Corona beer truck stop on the side of the highway, wave Chen over, and offer her a ride. Chen left with that driver and has not been seen since.
BBM

The way it's worded it makes it seem that while trying to catch a ride on 185 from Juchitan her first ride was the Corona truck. But that doesn't make sense. It seems to me that she caught a ride in Juchitan and then another ride with Corona further north near the Pemex station at 2:00 pm. So is someone lying about her spending the night at Pemex on 4/12? Are the dates mixed up?

So a few rough timelines (none of which factor in the notebook scenario discussed in the post linked above):

4/11 Left Oaxaca city. Spent the night in Juchitan.

4/12 Hitched from Juchitan to the Pemex and caught the Corona ride at 2:00 pm

OR

4/11 Left Oaxaca City, passed through Juchitan and got as far as the Pemex station. Out of money, spent the night,

4/12 Got her Corona ride at 2:00 pm

OR

4/11 Spent the night in Juchitan with a family.

4/12 Hitched north and only got as far as Pemex. Spent the night.

4/13 Got her Corona ride at 2:00 (this requires that dates are wrong in articles and FB...not likely)

Someone is either mistaken or lying.

And then we have the witnesses saying the Corona driver said he was not going toward Cancun because the road was blocked. Jenny must have been desperate for a ride and an ATM to accept that ride...if any of this is true. I guess we have to assume it is.

Sorry slowpoke. I don't think I am capable of making sense of this with the information we have been given! :banghead:

http://us.geotargit.com/index.php?qcountry_code=MX&qregion_code=20&qcity=La Laguna#map

BBM

I've been working on this reply for an hour, and I'm totally muddled!! First, I will post a link to our previous attempt to make sense of this, which will add to the muddle. This mentions the infamous notebook and Jenny getting on a bus 4/12. There is more contradictory info.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...axaca-11-April-2016-2&p=12690477#post12690477

I don't think we know for sure if Jenny stopped in Juchitan before continuing north on 185. I assumed she did because she was said to have spent the night with a family there (hence wondering why she didn't go to an ATM), but possibly not. It seems that they now believe she spent the night at the Pemex about an hour north on 185, just south of the cutoff to Lagunas, but I'm not sure JR's team knows for sure where she spent the night. It's possible people are telling them what they think the PI wants to hear.

La Laguna is on 190 between Oaxaca city and Juchitan. Nowhere near Lagunas. That has to be an error in speaking or translating. See map link below.

The nwasianweekly article says she stayed with a family in Juchitan 4/11 which contradicts spending the night at the Pemex. I don't think it would say the family was in Juchitan if it was almost an hour north. Here's what it says about the Corona truck.

That investigator discovered that the next day, on April 12, Chen tried to catch a ride from Juchitan toward Cancun from passing vehicles on highway 185. About 2 p.m. that same afternoon, eyewitnesses saw the driver of a Corona beer truck stop on the side of the highway, wave Chen over, and offer her a ride. Chen left with that driver and has not been seen since.
BBM

The way it's worded it makes it seem that while trying to catch a ride on 185 from Juchitan her first ride was the Corona truck. But that doesn't make sense. It seems to me that she caught a ride in Juchitan and then another ride with Corona further north near the Pemex station at 2:00 pm. So is someone lying about her spending the night at Pemex on 4/12? Are the dates mixed up?

So a few rough timelines (none of which factor in the notebook scenario discussed in the post linked above):

4/11 Left Oaxaca city. Spent the night in Juchitan.

4/12 Hitched from Juchitan to the Pemex and caught the Corona ride at 2:00 pm

OR

4/11 Left Oaxaca City, passed through Juchitan and got as far as the Pemex station. Out of money, spent the night,

4/12 Got her Corona ride at 2:00 pm

OR

4/11 Spent the night in Juchitan with a family.

4/12 Hitched north and only got as far as Pemex. Spent the night.

4/13 Got her Corona ride at 2:00 (this requires that dates are wrong in articles and FB...not likely)

Someone is either mistaken or lying.

And then we have the witnesses saying the Corona driver said he was not going toward Cancun because the road was blocked. Jenny must have been desperate for a ride and an ATM to accept that ride...if any of this is true. I guess we have to assume it is.

Sorry slowpoke. I don't think I am capable of making sense of this with the information we have been given! :banghead:

http://us.geotargit.com/index.php?qcountry_code=MX&qregion_code=20&qcity=La Laguna#map

Exactly. And this is why we are upset.

Because we shouldn't have to slueth this type of things while Jonathan knows that he can simply clarify this stuff on here or facebook.

Now he allows details to be reported such as the 2 women witnesses or whatever.

But he isn't mentioning things himself.

Its like he is distancing himself from things that he is allowing for Mexican journalists to report. Jmo.

Maybe he does this so if an investigation comes back to haunt him; Then he could simply state that the reporters confused things and he never mentioned xyz personally. Idk.

Lilibet, you are a super sleuth, for sure! Thanks for doing all that brain work to try and figure out possible timelines for Jenny's journey just before she disappeared. You are awesome.

I had forgotten that I already posted a similar post before (the notebook post) . Now I get to use the embarrassed emoticon face, lol. :blushing: If that info is still true (or partially true) then maybe the shopkeeper family is in or near Juchitan. I had been thinking they were in Oaxaca. Ah, well...as you said, we just don't have enough of the right details to put together a scenario that is most likely.

If the truck with Jenny as a passenger was picked up at the Pemex we were looking at on Hwy 185, would the truck have made a stop in Juchitan or merely passed through/by? If just passing by, I don't know if many people would have taken notice of the truck. A large double-trailer type of truck seems like the kind that only goes from one warehouse to another, doesn't it? Where did the truck originate, and what was its destination. I know we don't know the answer, but I wonder if the PI knows that much.

Slowpoke,you raise a very good point. I have traveled extensively through this area via the backroads, little villages. A truck like this would *definitely* get noticed. The way these roads work is that as you approach the villages, there are huge speed bumps in the road that you have to crawl over. All the locals in the villages stand on the side of the road to gawk at who is in the cars or they might sell bananas, or home made stuff. It's a very "village" scene. It would be hard for a truck to travel those roads, and they would stand out....big time.

Getting locals to talk is another story all together.

Has the supposed family from Juchitan come forward? I'm sure that would clear up at least 1/2 of the confusion.

(snipped by me)

My clumsy translation attempt below. Be forewarned though, that my Spanish isn't great, and what Spanish I do know is New Mexico Spanish, which is apparently its own weird thing. So don't take anything in it as official. Stuff in square brackets=my notes & clarification.

Original text:

My translation:
After getting no reply [from Mexican authorities], Reinhard hired a private investigator, who determined that when Jenny Chen was last seen, she may have spent the night at a *truckstop [bus stop?] in La Laguna, where the detour to Juchitan is.

*note: I believe "camion/camiones" in this context means bus/buses. I would use "camion" (or "troca" if I was being informal) for "truck" and "autobus" for "bus," but I think "camion" is "bus" in Mexico. However, later in the article the word "camion" is used to mean "the Modelo truck," so I don't know...

I did a translation of the entire article, as well as the earlier summary of the radio show, but I hesitate to post them because I don't want to run afoul of the rules about copyright. (I should be covered under translator's copyright, but better to be safe, I guess.) But let me know if there are any other paragraphs from those two articles that anyone wants an iffy translation of. (I can get the gist of an article, but my literal word-to-word translating sucks.) In a few weeks the fall semester starts and I can bug my Spanish professor friends for official translations (although hopefully Jenny will be found safe by then).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member