NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was it this thread or another thread where we talked about DNA not telling race?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was it this thread or another thread where we talked about DNA not telling race?

I was trying to remember too! Just saw this article and I wanted to post. Future science, but I bet it gets here quicker than we think.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.dail...hers-reveal-facial-features-stored-genes.html

Researchers have identified the genetic variants that contribute to specific facial features – and it could one day allow forensic scientists to recreate the faces of criminals based on DNA at the scene.

According to the new study, traits including nose size, face width, and even distance between the eyes are associated with particular genetic variations.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

There seems to be confusion in the way this was reported - at it first appeared that this was the first time she jogged alone, but then from what I've read - she'd been doing it alone ever since her father's back injury that resulted in his disability. But, never clarified just how long that was - days, weeks, months?

ETA: so many little "Colombo-like" details we are missing in this case, such as the above as well as -
>did she normally jog back over the same path she went out on, and if so did attack happen as she ran out, or returned back.
>did she normally text and listen to music at same time.
>did she keep one ear bud out to hear surroundings.
>when she texted did she slow down or stop.
>how fast a jogger/runner was she.
>size of rock used.
>was it determined where the rock was taken from, at the scene of someplace else.
>was there any sign in the weeds of a place where someone was hiding out, such as a small clearing and path to it.
>did she keep her hair up or down (pony tail) when jogging.
>how well was crime scene preserved.
>any foot prints, bike/tire marks.
>what do overview photos show of the area.
>did she break teeth biting assailant.
>no mention of DNA under her finger nails.
>what kind of DNA was found on her - some types of DNA can reveal certain traits.
>how long had she been doing this jog alone for (days, weeks, etc.).

I like the Colombo that you do. Great series of questions. And thank you very much for the jogging info especially, seems a bit more brazen and well timed, if it's the case that Karina jogged there alone more often than perceived through MSM.

I'd seen this report, but not sure if it's an approved source. Sorry if it has already been discussed.

‘Her Teeth Were Broken:’ Jogger Karina Vetrano Raped & Strangled In Brutal Killing
The girl's father discovered her lifeless body in Queens park.

By Radar Staff , Aug 5 16, 8:37 am

I was trying to remember too! Just saw this article and I wanted to post. Future science, but I bet it gets here quicker than we think.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.dail...hers-reveal-facial-features-stored-genes.html

Researchers have identified the genetic variants that contribute to specific facial features – and it could one day allow forensic scientists to recreate the faces of criminals based on DNA at the scene.

According to the new study, traits including nose size, face width, and even distance between the eyes are associated with particular genetic variations.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

The thing about genes though, is that they cannot just be turned off or on, they get turned up and down as a result of epigentic factors. Also every gene has multiple snps (pronounced snips), each snp is like a dimmer switch and effects how the gene is being expressed.

So say someone has a gene for blue eyes, depending on the expression of said genes the person could actually have green eyes.

Basic genetic testing does not delve into how a gene is expressing itself, it only looks at predisposition.

So being able to identify what someone would look like, to a great extent is still very much guess work, because your guessing the extent to which the gene is expressing.

Determining race or ancestry looks at something different though. It basically looks at patterns of genes present known as phenotypes or genotypes. And because they frequently see certain combination in certain populations they can determine ancestral roots, but not neccasrily how these roots have expressed themselves in terms of appearance for a given person.

Yesterday I noticed there were reward posters for Karina on the trees on my block. The area I live in is right off the Belt Parkway 3 miles from Howard Beach and the avenue the posters were on is Van Siclen, it leads straight from the Belt into East New York. There were never posters here until yesterday or possibly the day before.

There's a Facebook profile using Karina's name and this person claims to know who killed her. Or maybe it's meant that Karina knew her killer, I don't know. Now I'm sure this is just some jerk with nothing better to do, but it's messed up. Do I report to Facebook or the police? I don't want to look like a nut, but you never know if it is legit

There's a Facebook profile using Karina's name and this person claims to know who killed her. Or maybe it's meant that Karina knew her killer, I don't know. Now I'm sure this is just some jerk with nothing better to do, but it's messed up. Do I report to Facebook or the police? I don't want to look like a nut, but you never know if it is legit

I wasn't able to find it. Maybe it has been taken down?

No need to report it. There will be plenty of people who see it and it will get taken down if it needs to (or rather, when it needs to). In the meantime, if there's something useful then better for it to stay there for LE to see. The IP address can be traced, as one example.

The person who set up the profile is tagging NYPD and KV's dad in their posts. Also, pretty sure the poster is pointing fingers at the dad.

No need to report it. There will be plenty of people who see it and it will get taken down if it needs to (or rather, when it needs to). In the meantime, if there's something useful then better for it to stay there for LE to see. The IP address can be traced, as one example.

Thanks! I wasn't sure if I should do anything. I'm sure someone in the family will come across it. I do wonder if the killer has used the Internet to comment on anything though.

The person who set up the profile is tagging NYPD and KV's dad in their posts. Also, pretty sure the poster is pointing fingers at the dad.

I think so too. I have heard (and seen) so many things blaming him. Haven't any of these people ever watched an episode of CSI or Law & Order? I thought most people knew they'd check his DNA. They'd also be able to tell if it was a family member so I don't understand where all of those accusations come from.

I found that new FB that was just created. wow. That's disturbing.
I'd link but it's against TOS just search her name and it comes up under Howard Beach and her braid photo. Someone created this account in the last 11 hours. Very disturbing. I hope the LE are aware of it's existence.

I found that new FB that was just created. wow. That's disturbing.
I'd link but it's against TOS just search her name and it comes up under Howard Beach and her braid photo. Someone created this account in the last 11 hours. Very disturbing. I hope the LE are aware of it's existence.

That's very interesting.
maybe it's the same weirdo who posted fake profiles for the LISK victims in Long Island.

I think so too. I have heard (and seen) so many things blaming him. Haven't any of these people ever watched an episode of CSI or Law & Order? I thought most people knew they'd check his DNA. They'd also be able to tell if it was a family member so I don't understand where all of those accusations come from.

Agreed. Some people :gaah:

Agreed. Some people :gaah:
Yes. It is strange but I don't think he/she was pointing a finger at the Dad. I felt it was more like blaming Karina for running where she was told not to.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

That's very interesting.
maybe it's the same weirdo who posted fake profiles for the LISK victims in Long Island.

The FBI should find out who created this profile asap.

I can't find it, it must be gone already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member