GUILTY UK - Paige Doherty, 15, Clydebank, 19 March 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm glad for her family that they don't have to sit through a trial and listen to his nonsense.

I'm personally inclined to take what he says happened and turn it around. Paige already had a job.

A bit more detail from this morning - Judge's comment and detail re JL taking Paige's body out to his car. I had always thought he took the car round the back of the Deli to do this, but seems not.

The killer’s defence advocate Iain Duguid QC put forward the claim that 15-year-old Paige had gone to Leathem’s deli in Clydebank, West Dunbartonshire, on Saturday, March 19, this year and threatened to say he had tried to touch her if he didn’t give her a job.

He said a member of Leathem’s family was once placed on the sex offenders’ register and he’d seen the issues it had caused.

It was stated that Leathem over-reacted to this threat by grabbing a knife and repeatedly stabbing Paige.

Judge Lady Rae said she found that difficult to accept as all this happened within 10 minutes of Paige going into his shop.

CCTV footage – 10 minutes after Paige went into the shop – showed Leatham carrying her body out wrapped in a black bin bag in full view of passers-by to dump it into the boot of his car.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/twisted-killer-john-leathem-stabbed-8770510

Sentencing later today

Just updating my comment as have read elsewhere that sentencing is at a later date. Which I think is more normal in Scotland, I seem to remember it is usually a few weeks later.

ETA ............. Sentencing on October 12

<modsnip>

I'm glad that JL pleaded guilty and spared Paiges family from having to sit through a trial. The whole thing seems so odd though, I don't believe his version of events for one minute... Paige already had a job that she enjoyed, I'm not sure why she would give that up to work in a sandwich shop, also.. even if it was true and she did make a threat, that doesn't excuse his actions.. any sane, normal person would of simply asked her to leave the shop, notified his wife and the police about the allegations (if he truly believed she was being serious) because he wouldn't of had anything to hide if he was innocent. Another scenario is that he just flipped.. but given that he had no previous criminal record (I believe?) or warning signs that things were a bit amiss in his head, this doesn't seem likely. Very strange.

I think John leathem didint know that shop at end had cctv as this shop had only got cctv in the last year and the way he blatenly walks out the shop with the poor girls body is cold and calculated and to keep her body in a shed before dumping her like road kill is disgusting not to mention the way he ended her life he's a sick individual continued about his daily life as if nothing may his punishment fit the crime he committed but sadly our justice system protects these animals .r.i.p Paige docherty

Blood was found in Leathem's car boot, and in the back office where he murdered the teenager, as well as on a jacket in his home, "despite extensive efforts to clean", the court heard.

The killer had bought bin bags and antibacterial wipes from the neighbouring newsagent shop after the brutal attack, and used them to try and cover up what he had done.

Leathem's defence lawyer, Ian Duguid QC, said Leathem "has always accepted his culpability in causing her death" and said he understood it would be "inevitable' that he would receive a life sentence.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/..._as_schoolgirl_is_accused_of_threatening_him/

CCTV which was shown in court but has not been released by police showed Leathem carrying Paige's body to his car.

Prosecutor Iain McSporran: 'The body of Paige Doherty was wrapped in what appeared to be black bin bags...her white socked foot protruding.

'He placed her body in the rear of the car and closed the boot.'

Leathem went on to change his trousers and bought bottles of bleach before going back to his shop.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-15-year-old-Paige-Doherty.html#ixzz4JODpEInV
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Leathem is understood to have stored Paige's body in a shed at his home before driving to a wooded area off and dumping her body before opening for business on the morning of Monday March 21.

The shop owner, who knew Paige through her mother, claims he grabbed a knife and stabbed the teenager during a discussion about a job at the shop.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-15-year-old-Paige-Doherty.html#ixzz4JOE0qoFe
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I am relieved for Paige's family that they haven't had to tolerate a full trial, the details we have read are awful enough.

What an unbelievably vicious attack and she was only a little girl. Pointless wondering why I suppose.

His behaviour after committing such a violent killing is beyond belief to me, what monsters walk among us FGS.

I hope Life means Life.

But the shop owner knew of Paige through her mother, who had told him that her daughter was unhappy with her placement at the hairdresser&#8217;s.

Mr Duguid ( defence counsel ) said: &#8220;In general conversation the accused mentioned to Paige that he knew she might be unhappy at her work.

&#8220;According to him he explained that his business was looking for an assistant to work in the shop.&#8221;

Paige is said to have gone with him to the back office where he took some details from her.

Because she was a month shy of her 16th birthday, he said he told her he would have to speak to her mother, and also explained there were other candidates for the job.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17290...TheSunNewspaper-_-20160905-_-News-_-574305269

I am relieved for Paige's family that they haven't had to tolerate a full trial, the details we have read are awful enough.

What an unbelievably vicious attack and she was only a little girl. Pointless wondering why I suppose.

His behaviour after committing such a violent killing is beyond belief to me, what monsters walk among us FGS.

I hope Life means Life.

Let's hope he gets a long sentence. If I remember rightly, they don't have whole of life in Scotland, so it will have to be a set number of years - hopefully 40 plus.

Let's hope he gets a long sentence. If I remember rightly, they don't have whole of life in Scotland, so it will have to be a set number of years - hopefully 40 plus.

Far better IMO to have a set number of years. Just hope he gets 40 and no Out On Licence.

Paige that he knew she might be unhappy at her work. According to him he explained that his business was looking for an assistant to work in the shop."

Paige is said to have gone with him to the back office where he took some details from her.

But, as she was a month shy of her 16th birthday, he told her he would have to speak to her mother and also explained there were other candidates for the job.

Leathem claims Paige responded: "I thought I was getting a job" before adding "I'll just say you touched me", the court heard.

Mr Duguid, setting out Leathem's version of events, said he stood up suddenly and knocked the chair he was sitting on backwards to the floor. Paige is said to have stood up suddenly herself and started screaming, and the shop owner responded by grabbing a knife from the top of a nearby cabinet and stabbing her.

He is said to have expressed "extreme sorrow and remorse" for his actions.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/05/paige-doherty-murder-man-32-admits-killing-schoolgirl/

Yeah. No. Nice story but I'm not having it. We may never know the truth but I fail to see how the scenario he paints could have led to the rage/fear needed to inflict the horrific injuries that he did.

Yeah. No. Nice story but I'm not having it. We may never know the truth but I fail to see how the scenario he paints could have led to the rage/fear needed to inflict the horrific injuries that he did.
To be fair, I can just about believe his version, when it's put politely in court maybe not so, but as it might have happened, if Paige was anything like a lot of 15 year olds these days, they think they can say anything and if she was saying "I'll tell everyone you're a pedophile just like your brother" etc then that might be enough to flip someone's switch? - but it is still in the back of my mind that a more likely scenario is that Paige or someone close to Paige were involved with Leathem and that Paige was threatening to let the Cat out of the bag ...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back