GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #3 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
[h=2]Maybe he didn't read her book, but here is an example of him promoting on his blog and taking her to his conferences to promote.

TUESDAY, DECEMBER 13, 2011[/h][h=3]AALS and Fed Soc Conferences[/h]As mentioned before, we'll be hosting, along with our friends at Co-Op and the Faculty Lounge, among others, our annual AALS happy hour. In the next day or so, we'll have nailed down the details of where it will be, but for now please mark your calendars for Thursday January 5th from 9pm-midnite. Thanks to our friends at Drexel University Earle Mack School of Law, and in recognition of its recent accreditation, the bar tab will be covered to some substantial extent! More details on that to follow too.
Speaking of the happy hour, those of you keen to buy a hard copy of my wife's new novel, This Is Our Story, can do so there. Wendi Adelson will be there at least for the first hour to sign copies. You can of course download the book on your Kindle already.
Finally, I want to mention that in addition to the AALS monster conference at the Mariott, the Federalist Society will be hosting its annual shadow conference over at the Omni Shoreham next door. In what must have been some sort of a mixup, a forthcoming paper of mine was selected as one of the winners of the Young Legal Scholars Paper Competition so I'll be talking about crime, punishment, democracy blah blah blah for a few minutes. Poor Eugene Volokh is tasked with commenting on this albatross on Friday morning, as well as William Baude's paper on Beyond DOMA. Also on that day, some other notorious conservatives from the Prawf-o-sphere, Steve Vladeck and Joe Slater, will be speaking. You can find out more about the conference, and register for free over here. Hope to see you there (or in DC more generally).

Folks, she studied game theory. That's all I'll say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It appears that he was against the death penalty -

State, Be Not Proud: A Retributivist Defense of the Commutation of Death Row and the Abolition of the Death Penalty

Dan Markel
Florida State University College of Law (deceased)

October 1, 2005

Harvard Civil Rights-Civil Liberties Law Review, Vol. 40, pp. 407-480, 2005
FSU College of Law, Law and Economics Paper No. 05-24

Abstract:
In the aftermath of Governor Ryan's decision to commute the sentences of each offender on Illinois' death row, various scholars have claimed that Ryan's action was cruel, callous, a grave injustice, and, from a retributivist perspective, an unmitigated moral disaster. This Article contests that position, showing not only why a commutation of death row is permitted under principles of retributive justice, but also why it might be required. When properly understood, retributive justice, in its commitment to moral accountability and equal liberty, hinges on modesty and dignity in modes of punishment. In this vein, retributivism opposes the apparently ineluctable slide towards ever-harsher punishments in the name of justice. While the thesis I defend is sited in the particular context of the death penalty, the implications reach more broadly; the argument offered here signals that a commitment to retributivism in no way impedes the realization of humane institutions of criminal justice and a rejection of the benighted, misbegotten, and often brutal status quo we shamefully permit to endure.

What is that?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_Robb
Rafael Robb (born October 31, 1950) is an economist and former professor at the University of Pennsylvania who confessed to killing his wife in 2006. ... Robb specialized in game theory
Robb pleaded guilty in November 2007 to voluntary manslaughter in the high-profile death of his wife, Ellen Gregory Robb. She had been bludgeoned to death with a chin-up bar.[SUP][6][/SUP] Her death occurred during a December 22, 2006, argument over the couple's divorce and the plans for their home in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania.[SUP][7][/SUP] Robb pleaded guilty on November 26, 2007, and resigned from the university, where he had been on leave since his arrest in January 2007.[SUP][8][/SUP] Robb was sentenced on November 19, 2008, to a 5- to 10-year prison term, though the prosecutor asked for a sentence of 10 to 20 years

http://www.econport.org/econport/request?page=man_gametheory_intro1
Well, how do we know what is best for the two convicts? Let's go ahead and compare the outcomes achieved with each action. For Joe, a confession gets him 10 years in prison if Crow also confesses. Instead, if Joe confesses and Crow does not then Joe only gets a year in prison. An alternative situation for Joe is of not confessing. Well, if Joe does not confess and Crow does, then Joe lands up in jail for 25 years, and if Crow does not confess and Joe does then Joe spends three years behind bars.
Comparing the outcomes we see that confessing is better for Joe if Crow also confesses. Furthermore, confessing is better for Joe if Crow does not confess! So, no matter what Crow does, confessing to the crime is better for Joe. A similar argument holds for Crow. So a solution to this game is that both Joe and Crow decide to confess simultaneously and end up with ten years each in prison. For your information a formal term for a solution like this is "dominant strategy Nash equilibrium."

Thinking of Daniel's family and friends on the eve of what would have, should have, been his 43rd birthday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Markel
attachment.php
:leaf2:
Daniel Eric Markel
October 9, 1972
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Attachments

• Dan_Markel.jpg
    Dan_Markel.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 302
Correction to my previous birthday post, Daniel Markel would have been celebrating his 44th birthday, not 43rd today. Apologies to everyone here who can count!:autumn:

Very touching post. Thanks for bringing light to his birthday!

Very touching post. Thanks for bringing light to his birthday!
I am hoping that his boys are aware it's his birthday and are being allowed to acknowledge it.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

It sure would be nice if Dan's birthday present was more arrests!

KM is still at Broward County Jail and has not yet been transported to Leon County Jail, according to:
http://www.sheriff.org/apps/arrest/results.cfm?lname=magbanua&fname=

KM has been in Broward custody for more than one week.
SG was transported from Broward to Leon in less than one week.

Since KM’s booking, her jail visitation schedule is listed as 12MW, which is noted as Female Infirmary.
Perhaps KM is ill …. physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually?

Hoping for arrests of the A-team this week!

"Any time you try a decent crime, you got fifty ways you can F up. If you think of twenty-five of them, then you’re a genius - and you ain’t no genius.” - Teddy Lewis – "Body Heat"

In case anybody wonders what you are doing here:

“Murder is unique in that it abolishes the party it injures, so that society must take the place of the victim, and on his behalf demand atonement or
grant forgiveness.”

― W.H. Auden

From the video of Rivera's confession it sounds like Katie really pushed the murder. If Garcia "wanted Katie back" he had to do the murder. According to Rivera Katie had Garcia's mind "messed up". I believe it too. Katie is money hungry.

It appears KM has exited the Broward County Jail. Her name no longer appears on an Arrest Search there.
KM may be on her way to Leon County. I wonder how quickly she’ll be shown Rivera’s confession interview.

Rivera said when the two men returned a year later, they stayed in the same hotel as before. The day before they shot Markel they were driving near his Trescott Drive home and passed Wendi Adelson walking with her two kids.

He said she looked at the car as they passed. He told Garcia he was nervous about the way she was looking at them.
Rivera said: "Who is this lady, why is she looking so much?"
“Oh that’s that lady. That’s Wendi," Garcia replied.
rbbm
[video=youtube;4o3m1FwhusY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o3m1FwhusY[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads