Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What does cross racial identification mean? I've never heard the term.

"The cross-race effect (sometimes called cross-race bias, other-race bias or own-race bias) refers to the tendency to more easily recognize members of one's own race." From here.
Loads and loads of detailed info if you google it.

One of my NYPD friends used to joke that if they have a perp of one race, and an eye witness of another, they just assumed the latter wouldn't even get the perp's height right.

There are multiple cal trans cameras both north and southbound, but nothing was found on them on 11/2 or 11/24?

Wondering if there would be any toll booths with cameras on the main roads that were likely traveled either on drop off day or day of abduction.

If the kidnappers had in the car for 2 1/2 hours on that first day driving then it seems the kidnappers would not be able to drive with masks on because other drivers would see them looking weird and may have called 911 on them. So the driver at least had to look fairly normal. Maybe sunglasses or something but I doubt they drove around with a mask.

Now they could have had her in the back with a hood over her head by then. But then they would probably have had to keep her head down or lay down in back because other cars passing if they saw someone with a bag over their head may call 911.

Seems pretty risky for the kidnappers to drive her in the vehicle so long.
Every minute they spent on the road is another chance of just getting pulled over for some normal reason too.

Which brings up another question. Why would the kidnappers drive
2 1/2 hours away from where they needed to go to kidnap someone?
Could this give a hint that she was definitely targeted?

Wondering if there would be any toll booths with cameras on the main roads that were likely traveled either on drop off day or day of abduction.

If the kidnappers had in the car for 2 1/2 hours on that first day driving then it seems the kidnappers would not be able to drive with masks on because other drivers would see them looking weird and may have called 911 on them. So the driver at least had to look fairly normal. Maybe sunglasses or something but I doubt they drove around with a mask.

Now they could have had her in the back with a hood over her head by then. But then they would probably have had to keep her head down or lay down in back because other cars passing if they saw someone with a bag over their head may call 911.

Every minute they spent on the road is another chance of just getting pulled over for some normal reason too.

Good thought, but no toll roads in that area.

Sent from my SM-T817T using Tapatalk

Indeed... On all fronts, it feels very disconcerting as well as "Manipulative"...

Maybe it was the way it was edited that gave you that feeling. KP spoke for four hours. They only showed about 30 minutes of him actually speaking. So what did they leave out?

So since I'm a white guy I can't tell if a person is Hispanic or not. Okay. I guess that means I can't be prejudiced against Hispanics because I can't identify them.

That doesn't sound right. I'm confused. JMO

A previous poster said it better. Distinguishing characteristics.

Example (true): I am white and my husband is from another race. He has trouble distinguishing among white people. But he can be very detailed in his descriptions of people of his own race.

The kidnappers could have been driving around and around in more or less a circular path, not actually taking SP 150mi away at the time she was first taken.

There are no toll booths.

I just watched about half of the 20/20 show on YouTube. It shook me to the core. When KP was talking about him seeing her the first time after she was found. I am so hoping these perps are found soon. I am wishing SP the best in her recovery. I hope she remembers more details about her kidnappers. DNA of some kind? Anything to catch these people.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

So since I'm a white guy I can't tell if a person is Hispanic or not. Okay. I guess that means I can't be prejudiced against Hispanics because I can't identify them.

That doesn't sound right. I'm confused. JMO

That's not what it means. It means that if you're a white guy, once you have to recall/identify distinguishing features of someone of a race/ethnicity other than your own, you're a lot more likely to get it wrong/not able to recall details than if the other person were white, too.

Example (true): I am white and my husband is from another race. He has trouble distinguishing among white people. But he can be very detailed in his descriptions of people of his own race.

That makes perfect sense to be because he is more familiar with people of his own race.

That makes perfect sense to me because he is more familiar with people of his own race.

But why not identify her? If she's a spokesperson, she wouldn't need to hide her identity.

Exactly. A good reporter would always get the first and last name of anyone they quote, and would ask them to spell it. To make sure they get it right. This is a journalism fail.

after seeing all this with the abc interview with KP. i still feel like this is an abduction, I feel like the le have an idea of who it is and are being vague for a reason. We have seen This with numerous cases in the past, le has very little to say about poi, and after a few weeks there is an arrest. I think that if they had no clue about who is responsible for this , they would be asking for more of the publics help. And even tho it might seem like KP gave a lot of info in his interviews, we really don't know anything more than what we know from the day after she was freed.

I will give this couple the benefit of the doubt. This women has been thru so much already and until there is real proof otherwise, I am giving them the respect that I would want in their situation.

<modsnip>

Then how did the phone get on the ground neatly?

I recall theorizing about 500 threads back ;) that the phone might have been the first "message," put there because the perps wanted to make sure it would be found relatively quickly/easily by family or LE. Once they grabbed Sherri, they could have easily placed the phone by the road within another 10 seconds, maybe.
Again, no idea what happened. It's simply that I could believe this happened.

Here's a closer look of the sign showing Yolo coming up (off I5)

Screen_Shot_2016_12_03_at_12_56_06_AM.jpg

I know that there's usually a sign when crossing into another county. Before you get to Woodland on I-5 you cross the Sacramento River and enter Yolo county.

I may have thought the Yolo sign meant the county and not a town.

Maybe it was the way it was edited that gave you that feeling. KP spoke for four hours. They only showed about 30 minutes of him actually speaking. So what did they leave out?
I made a statement on my feelings in regards to another posters comment to me. I am very familiar with media editing, and the entire production process. Thanks anyway, have a good night...

I just watched about half of the 20/20 show on YouTube. It shook me to the core. When KP was talking about him seeing her the first time after she was found. I am so hoping these perps are found soon. I am wishing SP the best in her recovery. I hope she remembers more details about her kidnappers. DNA of some kind? Anything to catch these people.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Can you please post a link? TIA

Per this description in The Daily Mail:
"A hood was also placed over her head so she could only see the eyes of her captors, who police describe as two Hispanic women"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...starved-brutalized-captors.html#ixzz4RkawKj5p
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I'm having trouble visualizing this. When I think of a hood, I think of something like a pillowcase, or hangman's hood. If SP is wearing that sort of hood, how can she see her captors' eyes, or anything...unless perhaps eye holes are cut out?

But if eyeholes are cut out, then what prevents her from seeing her abductors, head to toe, even while wearing the hood? I'm only reading neck-up descriptions of her captors. Seems she could also offer comparative height, weight, describe their clothing, etc., though, couldn't she?

I've read that the abductors wore bandanas covering most of their faces. But if so, my immediate thought is, why do BOTH captor and captive need to have their heads covered if BOTH can still see each other? IOW, what is the purpose in putting a hood over Sherri's face if she can still see them? Because if the hood was such that she couldn't see them, then the captors would not need to bother covering their faces. So it would make sense to have either SP hooded, with no eye holes, OR the captors' faces covered. But having both parties wearing headgear that allows both parties to see each other doesn't make sense to me.

One added thought...if the hood did not have eyeholes cut out, then I would think if SP could see anything at all, it would just have been out the bottom...so she'd have seen the floor, or her shoes, or something below her waist. But I don't get how she would have seen her captors' eyes in that scenario.

I'm finding this description very confusing.

The kidnappers could have been driving around and around in more or less a circular path, not actually taking SP 150mi away at the time she was first taken.

Good point.

Although every minute on the road is another minute that they could get pulled over by LE for some unrelated silly reason so you would think they would want to get her directly to wherever they needed to go. Unless they were trying to confuse her on where they were headed which is possible too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member